PDA

View Full Version : Are there any playable slime/ooze races?

Helldog
2011-12-05, 07:48 AM
What the title says. I want to play (or make on NPC) "slime girl" type of character. Doesn't need to be very powerful. All I want is that it's at least medium sized and not too stupid (Int at least 6).
I always look first to official material, but if there's nothing in the books (including 3rd party), I'm going to homebrew.

umbergod
2011-12-05, 07:52 AM
not sure if it was updated to 3.5 but there was an oozemaster PrC in masters of the wild I believe

Helldog
2011-12-05, 07:59 AM
The title says "races."

Prime32
2011-12-05, 07:59 AM
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1776

Ravens_cry
2011-12-05, 08:02 AM
The picture in that thread might not be safe for work, just FYI.

Helldog
2011-12-05, 08:07 AM
I saw that thread. Not exactly what I'm looking for.

umbergod
2011-12-05, 08:17 AM
oozemaster would still apply, as the capstone of that PrC is you become an ooze. Alternatively, there is the Awaken Ooze spell.

Helldog
2011-12-05, 08:37 AM
oozemaster would still apply, as the capstone of that PrC is you become an ooze.
This here disqualifies it.

Alternatively, there is the Awaken Ooze spell.
Already brought up by Prime32 and I already said that it's not what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll use it somehow when I don't find anything else.

Darth_Versity
2011-12-05, 08:44 AM
Add half dragon to an ooze. It now has an INT score and can be played. That's right, your local wyrm got it on with a large animated jelly! Goes to show that the bordom of living for centuries leads to some sick sexual experimentation!

Lert, A.
2011-12-05, 08:45 AM
The only one that comes to mind is from Dragonstar: Races of the Galaxy, the Ulb. Pretty sure they have a LA even though they have some fairly significant drawbacks and don't really deserve it.

Wings of Peace
2011-12-05, 08:55 AM
Add half dragon to an ooze. It now has an INT score and can be played. That's right, your local wyrm got it on with a large animated jelly! Goes to show that the bordom of living for centuries leads to some sick sexual experimentation!

The issue isn't that oozes have a value of 0 for intelligence (if I am remembering correctly), the issue is that they lack the ability score all together.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-05, 08:58 AM
Hot.:smallamused:

Aidan305
2011-12-05, 08:58 AM
I believe there's a Half-ooze template in Savage Species. I once applied it to a cat, then sold the cat to the players as a pet.

Ravens_cry
2011-12-05, 08:59 AM
I believe there's a Half-ooze template in Savage Species. I once applied it to a cat, then sold the cat to the players as a pet.
To the players?!:smalleek:

Qwertystop
2011-12-05, 09:31 AM
To the players?!:smalleek:

:smalleek:

Darrin
2011-12-05, 10:52 AM
The issue isn't that oozes have a value of 0 for intelligence (if I am remembering correctly), the issue is that they lack the ability score all together.

Easy to fix. You can use the Sentry Ooze template from Dungeonscape, or there are a variety of oozes that are already intelligent.

This post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10529104&postcount=4) lists the intelligent oozes, and this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10628776&postcount=11) has some other ooze-related links.

As far as an "ooze" race goes, the closest is the Ghaunadan in Monsters of Faerun. Technically an aberration rather than an ooze (per the 3.5 errata in PGtF), but very ooze-like.

Venger
2011-12-05, 12:03 PM

that's the "gelatinous" template that you're talking about. rather disturbingly, it's an "inherited" template, so that means that the base creature porked an ooze.

unfortunately, it has a nonability score for int, and is explicitly called out in its entry as being subsequently unsuitable as a PC*

that said, allow me to introduce you to the friend of minmaxers in your situation:

the humble headband of intellect. shell out for a +3 version (9000gp) and now bingo bango, you've got int 3 and are suitable for play.

I think that int is different from con in that you can temporarily awaken them with spells (awaken, fox cunning, etc) and items like the headband of intelect, but this is one of the myriad things designers never considered

Slipperychicken
2011-12-05, 02:17 PM
the humble headband of intellect. shell out for a +3 version (9000gp) and now bingo bango, you've got int 3 and are suitable for play.

How does an Ooze wear a headband? Also, do nonintelligent beings get WBL?

Venger
2011-12-05, 02:34 PM
How does an Ooze wear a headband? Also, do nonintelligent beings get WBL?

a gelatinous creature does (sort of) have a definite shape, so it would wear it on its head. the sample creature on p117 is a gelatinous grizzly bear (try not to think about which parent the ooze was or that oozes apparently have two genders) gelatinous creatures do not have the "no discernable anatomy" special feature of oozes, so they're not wholly immune to crits/SAs, but that also means they do have a discernable anatomy, so they can totally wear stuff.

upon closer inspection, I was mistaken in my assessment of gelatinous creatures being mindless. this is NOT the case and they all have int 1, which means that them wearing a headband of intellect is indubitably within RAW and you also only need to shell out for a +2 one if you're an ardent minmaxer or your DM is miserly with WBL.

as far as WBL goes, some oozes have treasure in their entries when you kill them, so it stands to logic they'd have a part of WBL (depending on the ratio given in their entries) if they're intelligent (min 3) enough to be a PC (since that's what you want to use her for) then they're entitled to a share of the party's treasure. I personally would suggest that you put more resources into boosting your int since -3 skill points/lvl can make doing anything with your character incredibly difficult (unless you wanted to go barbarian/FB with her, which would be a great choice due to her racial con bonus) but int is slashed and dex, cha, and wis take a good kick to the unmentionables too, so this character would be challenging to play to say the least. one thing that it has going for it though is "no level adjustment" which sounds to me like 0 level adjustment. the benefits you gain (slam, acid, resistance to SA/crits/mind affecting) are more than balanced out (and arguably outweighed) by the huge penalties to dex/wis/cha/int) so I think LA+0 is fair for this template.

thanks for this, this idea is hilarious, I kinda want to do it now

Feralventas
2011-12-05, 03:05 PM
One of my players brought up a character concept along these lines. The basic method was a combination of the "Awaken Ooze" spell of which I think came from a Dragon Magazine issue, and then playing a Living Spell. You'd probably want to pick an acidic conjuration spell of some sort so as to gain the usual ooze traits. He went with an enchantment of some sort, tossed some exalted feats on it and built a grappling character that forced several saves from physical contact and proximity while bludgeoning the target with non-lethal damage.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1776.0&fb_source=message
See if this is to your fancy. Don't tell anyone who posted it :3.

Helldog
2011-12-05, 03:40 PM
One of my players brought up a character concept along these lines. The basic method was a combination of the "Awaken Ooze" spell of which I think came from a Dragon Magazine issue, and then playing a Living Spell. You'd probably want to pick an acidic conjuration spell of some sort so as to gain the usual ooze traits. He went with an enchantment of some sort, tossed some exalted feats on it and built a grappling character that forced several saves from physical contact and proximity while bludgeoning the target with non-lethal damage.

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1776.0&fb_source=message
See if this is to your fancy. Don't tell anyone who posted it :3.
Let me repeat myself:
Already brought up by Prime32 and I already said that it's not what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll use it somehow when I don't find anything else.

gelatinous grizzly bear (try not to think about which parent the ooze was or that oozes apparently have two genders)
You don't have to think about that. There's no parent ooze and oozes don't have two genders.

chadmeister
2011-12-05, 03:51 PM

So just wave your hands say "This is a special ooze" and get on with your life.

Fax Celestis
2011-12-05, 04:01 PM
There's the amorphous form spell in Spell Compendium. You could make an item of a permanent version of that. Other than that, no, not really. The ooze type has a whole host of problems that make it typically unsuitable for PCs (no body slots, mindless, blind + blindsight, immunity to polymorph, stunning, flanking, crits, and poison), and by fixing those features, you generally end up with something that has the ooze type that has no real resemblance to other oozes.

Venger
2011-12-05, 04:45 PM
You don't have to think about that. There's no parent ooze and oozes don't have two genders.

how does the gelatinous creature template grab you? does it meet your needs?

there must be a parent (or grandparent, etc.) ooze in order for gelatinous to be an inherited template. as a result, oozes must reproduce sexually (thus they must be gendered in some way, even if they are hermaphroditic) and, as we know from the gelatinous creature template, are capable of reproducing with any living creature.

like gelatinous cubes weren't scary enough already.

Helldog
2011-12-05, 05:05 PM
how does the gelatinous creature template grab you? does it meet your needs?
I'd rather avoid 3ed material until there's nothing better. Until now Sentry Ooze and Awaken Ooze were two very good ideas.

there must be a parent (or grandparent, etc.) ooze in order for gelatinous to be an inherited template. as a result, oozes must reproduce sexually (thus they must be gendered in some way, even if they are hermaphroditic) and, as we know from the gelatinous creature template, are capable of reproducing with any living creature.

like gelatinous cubes weren't scary enough already.
No. They are magical experiments. Savage Species says that.

Chess435
2011-12-05, 05:30 PM

Thank goodness. This thread almost squicked me out.

sonofzeal
2011-12-05, 05:56 PM
There's an Ooze Genasi Paraelemental in... DR #297, I believe. No LA.

Venger
2011-12-05, 05:57 PM
I'd rather avoid 3ed material until there's nothing better. Until now Sentry Ooze and Awaken Ooze were two very good ideas.

Huh? I'm sorry, are you playing 4e/pathfinder?

Thank goodness. This thread almost squicked me out.
the real question is, is them being "magical experiments" that somehow yield halfooze babbies better or worse than them reproducing biologically? because either way, that's kind of gross

Helldog
2011-12-05, 06:01 PM
3.P. Is that a problem?

the real question is, is them being "magical experiments" that somehow yield halfooze babbies better or worse than them reproducing biologically? because either way, that's kind of gross
I don't understand what that has to do with the OP.

Lateral
2011-12-05, 06:12 PM

He means 3.0 material.

Venger
2011-12-05, 06:45 PM
3.P. Is that a problem?
ah, pathfinder then. ok. np, I just don't play it, so I won't be able to offer any insights, thanks for mentioning.

I don't understand what that has to do with the OP.

well, nothing, that's why it was quoted under the salient post by somebody else.

Lateral
2011-12-05, 10:47 PM
It's 3.P; anything from 3.5 should be fine.

Venger
2011-12-06, 03:02 AM
It's 3.P; anything from 3.5 should be fine.

what is 3.P? isn't that pathfinder?

Ravens_cry
2011-12-06, 03:13 AM
what is 3.P? isn't that pathfinder?
3.P, in my experience, refers to the use of both Pathfinder and 3.5 material.
I know some DM who allow it and others who exclusively allow Pathfinder material.

Dimers
2011-12-06, 03:27 AM
What the title says. I want to play (or make on NPC) "slime girl" type of character. Doesn't need to be very powerful. All I want is that it's at least medium sized and not too stupid (Int at least 6).
I always look first to official material, but if there's nothing in the books (including 3rd party), I'm going to homebrew.

A phasm is an amorphous aberration -- not an "ooze" in the D&D creature categorization, but it could certainly be a slime girl. It even "slithers about like an ooze" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/phasm.htm). I think the larger hurdle is that phasms start at 15HD. Still, if you want to homebrew, you might get an idea or two from that listing.