PDA

View Full Version : Scroll of the Monk: A quick question

Leeham
2011-12-05, 09:55 AM
What styles (other than Siddie styles) are reasonably balanced? I've heard they can be a bit... blergh.

Lord Raziere
2011-12-05, 10:03 AM
Anything not Siddie Styles. Except Sapphire Veils of Passions style, but that SMA is in Glories: Maidens.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-05, 10:19 AM
What styles (other than Siddie styles) are reasonably balanced? I've heard they can be a bit... blergh.Almost all of them are at best problematic. The Terrestrial Styles are probably the only ones, though, that actually maintain some balance, but they're also, of course, the weakest styles. The Celestial Styles, well, those were mostly copy-pasted from first edition, and I mean that literally, so the wording's a bit problematic on quite a few of the Charms contained therein. Not only are the Sidereal Styles in Scroll of the Monk unbalanced, they're almost-unusable. :smallyuk:

The PDF addition to it includes the Four Arguments of Virtue, and they're pretty awesome.

If you want to look at reasonably-balanced Celestial (and one Sidereal) martial arts styles, I suggest you look in the Glories of the Most High book, and some of the Ink Monkeys' posts.

Gensh
2011-12-05, 12:17 PM
and some of the Ink Monkeys' posts.

But not Cobra Style. Also note that the terrestrial Even Blade Style is around celestial level.

KaganMonk
2011-12-05, 01:29 PM
There's also a thread here (http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32971)that goes through all published martial arts styles and lists rewrites for the obviously broken ones..

DrakeRaids
2011-12-05, 03:06 PM
There's also a thread here (http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32971)that goes through all published martial arts styles and lists rewrites for the obviously broken ones..

This thread is pretty accurate, I second it.

Leeham
2011-12-05, 05:48 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot! :smallbiggrin:

Mr.Bookworm
2011-12-05, 06:21 PM
But not Cobra Style. Also note that the terrestrial Even Blade Style is around celestial level.

Cobra Style isn't broken at base, although it can easily become so if you combo it together with some other stuff.

Even Blade occupies the high-end of the TMA tier, but it's not CMA tier. Some of the individual Charms (Gruesome Wood King Revelry, Azure Crane's ending path) needs a rewrite, but it's useable as-is. GWKR is actually pretty simple to fix, just change it to Reflexive (Step 1).

This thread is pretty accurate, I second it.

Thirded.

Really, all of the TMA stuff is useable. There's some wonky things going on, but nothing particularly horrible.

CMA stuff, less so. Most of it is useable, but be careful.

SMA stuff is almost entirely borked. Read and use the remakes in the link. If you absolutely cannot use homebrew, Charcoal March of Spiders, Citrine Poxes of Contagion, and Prismatic Arrangement of Creation are all mechanically wonky, but mostly useable. Most of the other stuff is eeeeeeeh, although there's a lot of cool ideas in there.