PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Limbs; mechanics question

JungleBox90
2011-12-05, 04:30 PM
Can creatures with (a minimum of) four limbs--like a thri-kreen--use two weapon fighting with two-handed weapons?

I imagine it's possible, but the wording of TWF precludes the use of any 2H weapon from being used (unless it's made of mithral or something). Two 2H weapons... not so sure.

Tokuhara
2011-12-05, 04:46 PM
I've wrapped my head around this for years, and eventually realized that a single weapon with multiple hands is far more optimal, to an extent.

I once designed an Insectoid Obah Blessed Diopsid Were-Giant Octopus who took Illithid Heritage: Tentacles and the Aberrant Feat that gives you 2 tentacles from your waist and levels in Totemist and a Permanent Girallion's Blessing. I would have invested in lots of Gloves of Man and 28-Handed a Greatsword of a Power Attack of DOOM!!!

How this works is you add 2x your strength + 0.5x Str per pair of hands (or +13x STR)

Essence_of_War
2011-12-05, 04:51 PM
The wording of the multiweapon fighting feat:

Special
This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Precludes the use of Two-Weapon fighting, but pedantics aside, if what you want is a Thri-Kreen who fights with two greatswords, for example, you can certainly do this (assuming I interpret my Savage Species 'extra hands' rules correctly).

Each sword would get a -4 on attacks (usual non-light weapon penalty), you would have to take improved/greater multiweapon fighting later than TWF (BAB +9 for improved) to get iteratives. The primary hand would gets 1.5*str to damage (1 for primary + .5 for an extra hand) while the off-hand would get 1xstr to damage (.5 for off-hand, .5 for an extra hand).

JungleBox90
2011-12-05, 04:52 PM
Tokuhara: I shouldn't be surprised with how ridiculous you can get with D&D, but just the same... I may have shat a brick.

Slipperychicken
2011-12-05, 04:52 PM
How this works is you add 2x your strength + 0.5x Str per pair of hands (or +13x STR)

Got a reference on that? That equation would make two-handing (2 + [0.5x1 pair] = 2.5) yeild 2.5x Str mod. Which makes me seriously doubt the credibility of that equation, since two-handing is actually 1.5x Str..

Tokuhara
2011-12-05, 04:54 PM
Got a reference on that? That equation would make two-handing (2 + [0.5x1 pair] = 2.5) yeild 2.5x Str mod. Which makes me seriously doubt the credibility of that equation, since two-handing is actually 1.5x Str..

Savage Species. My Math may be a tad off, but essentially, I'm including the Power Attack there.

The idea is to power attack with 28 hands on a single weapon (aka: Ball of Hands Man holding one sword with all of his hands)

Tokuhara
2011-12-05, 05:56 PM
I have a player in my group who is running a gestalt version of this with the other side being Spirit Lion Whirling Frenzy Barbarian/Psi Warrior/Dungeoncrasher Fighter/Frenzied Berserker/Slayer and his max damage with a Spiked (adds piercing) Gold Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer is looking somewhere in silly territory.

The maximum damage (5 attacks, Pouncing with a Leaping bullrush Power Attack with 5 Crits, Max Damage, Charge Bonus for piercing (x4), and Dungeoncrash) is 15,540 [exact math: (2d12+15x10(Str modifier example)+8d6)x4x4]

JungleBox90
2011-12-05, 09:03 PM
Wouldn't a simple Grease spell or Entangling Ectoplasm nix that lovely damage potential?

Tokuhara
2011-12-05, 09:06 PM
Wouldn't a simple Grease spell or Entangling Ectoplasm nix that lovely damage potential?

It could. My DM is stupid :p

grarrrg
2011-12-05, 11:08 PM
We have another entry for "Famous Last Words"

Tokuhara
2011-12-05, 11:11 PM

and there goes another nay-sayer. We have a player playing this. I will not be him. I like Broken, but I like brie over cheddar if you will. I like my builds with a thin layer of cheese, not an object of flavour-murder.

grarrrg
2011-12-05, 11:33 PM
and there goes another nay-sayer. We have a player playing this. I will not be him. I like Broken, but I like brie over cheddar if you will. I like my builds with a thin layer of cheese, not an object of flavour-murder.

I meant calling the DM stupid. :smallwink:

Tokuhara
2011-12-05, 11:33 PM
I meant calling the DM stupid. :smallwink:

He is. He claims Monk and Evoker are broken

kulosle
2011-12-06, 03:33 AM
Oh god. I know that guy. Note literally, I mean I know a DM, actually no, I know an entire group 5-8 people that agree with that. My old role playing group from highschool. I came back from college and we had a little reunion thing and off course role playing was involved because we are nerds like that. Any ways I asked the DM what optimization he was looking for and he said "just don't make a monk or something stupid like that." So i thought he meant no low tier stuff. So I made a IC optimized bard. We destroyed everything. And by we I mean me. It was really ridiculous. He meant stupid and to mean stupidly broken.

More on topic. Is there rules for power attacking with more than two hands?

Gwendol
2011-12-06, 04:12 AM
Yes, check out many-handed wielding in Savage Species. There is also an earlier version of Girallon's blessing spell in that book that grants more than a single pair of extra arms (based on size and CL IIRC). It also involves passing a Will save though. Combined with fuse arms you can however get into silly territory regarding adding STR bonus to damage.

Each extra hand used to wield adds another 0.5 STR to the damage bonus. So, wielding a sword with three hands grants you 2xSTR bonus to damage, while 4-handed wielding will net you 2.5 STR bonus.

Calanon
2011-12-06, 04:58 AM
He is. He claims Monk and Evoker are broken

I laughed so hard I poo'd a little :smallfrown:

Would It be possible for me to give a humanoid character 6 arms (4 additional arms) besides permanency'ing Garillion arms?

Doorhandle
2011-12-06, 06:54 AM

Five ranks. Into balance. RIGHT NOW.

Heliomance
2011-12-06, 08:48 AM
Savage Species. My Math may be a tad off, but essentially, I'm including the Power Attack there.

The idea is to power attack with 28 hands on a single weapon (aka: Ball of Hands Man holding one sword with all of his hands)

As noted above, each extra hand grants +0.5x STR to damage, not each pair. But it doesnt start at 2x, it starts at 1x. So two hands is 1.5x, three hands is 2x and so on. Note that yourweapon has to be specially constructed for that number of hands. Also, the number of hands you use (beyond 2) has absolutely zero effect on PA, I'm pretty sure. And PA has nothing whatsoever to do with strength.

Gwendol
2011-12-06, 09:22 AM
Right. Which is where the multiple arms/fuse arms comes in (fuse some limbs together to increase strength).

JungleBox90
2011-12-06, 02:24 PM
Is there a way to graft extra arms to your body?
Secondly can you use the permanancy spell on fuse arms?
It'd be a major pain against dispel magic though...

Feralventas
2011-12-06, 02:53 PM
Secondly can you use the permanency spell on fuse arms?

I don't know that there is a Fuse Arms spell in 3.x, but Permanency has a specific list of spells of which it can be applied to, and can't be expanded to apply to others unless DM Fiat is applied.

Extra arms, however, can be grafted provided you have the GP to pay for it. Libris Mortis and (I think) Fiend Folio have lots of Grafts of which you can purchase if you don't mind risking your good alignment or good reputation by having undead limbs or aberration appendages attached to you. There are also some Golem options, though I think those might require that you replace existing limbs with them first. A couple of feats from Lords of Madness will get you a pair of extra tentacles of which can do extra damage on their own, but might require the Savage Species feat to be used as additional limbs to carry things with.

Necroticplague
2011-12-06, 03:08 PM

I find that image fairly funny. *Dispel magic* Suddenly, arms everywhere.

Gwendol
2011-12-06, 03:52 PM
Both fuse arms and girallon's blessing are found in the spell compendium, as well as older versions in the savage species book.

Demon of Death
2011-12-06, 06:11 PM
As Gwendol said, they were earlier in Savage Species, and in there they are under the list of spells that can be made permanent so you can try to run it by your DM.