PDA

View Full Version : The suicide bomber

SoliaTera
2011-12-05, 05:34 PM
i've recently created a character who's main objective is to run into battle with a bag of explosive runes and read them and go boom and survive but the question i have is how many runes an i read as a standard action?

Daftendirekt
2011-12-05, 05:35 PM
Int check for how many words a minute your character can read? :smallconfused:

legomaster00156
2011-12-05, 05:37 PM
Carry a book with Explosive Runes on every page, and intentionally fail your Dispel Magic check. It will set off the entire book in one round. Better yet, send your familiar ahead (with the book and Dispel Magic) to set off the runes for you. It will be about 600d6 damage, and you'll be out of harm's reach.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-12-05, 05:39 PM
If you're surviving then you're just a bomber.

Cog
2011-12-05, 05:45 PM
Carry a book with Explosive Runes on every page, and intentionally fail your Dispel Magic check.
This is a popular idea, but as far as I'm aware there's no citation for actually being able to fail that check at will.

Randomguy
2011-12-05, 05:51 PM
This is a popular idea, but as far as I'm aware there's no citation for actually being able to fail that check at will.

You can intentionally reduce your caster level to make it very likely that you fail your check. There's also a feat that lets you take 10 on caster level checks, so if you take that feat and then take 10 you automatically fail your check. (I'm not sure if you can use it in combat though). Lastly, if you attempt to use the erase spell from a range on a magical text, it automatically fails (I think) since you need to touch the text.

There's a spell called death throes that means you explode and deal lots of damage when you die, for more suicidal bombing.

You could have someone cast spell immunity on you so that you survive the explosion, for less suicidal bombing.

Diefje
2011-12-05, 06:11 PM
I don't know if you can keep reading while you are exploding...

A magical trap, rather than a spell trap, can be loaded with as many spells as you want (and can pay for)

Olo Demonsbane
2011-12-05, 09:07 PM
If you have a book with 100 pages, and an explosive rune on each page, reading the first one should explode the rest of them as well.

Flickerdart
2011-12-05, 09:29 PM
Per the spell, a book counts as a single item, so you'd need to carry a bunch of loose pages instead.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-05, 09:33 PM
Per the spell, a book counts as a single item, so you'd need to carry a bunch of loose pages instead.No reason you can't stack them.

Flickerdart
2011-12-05, 09:41 PM
You can't bind them though, or it becomes a book. I recommend a briefcase, for style points, but padding your clothes with them like a hobo works in a pinch.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-06, 01:54 AM
You can't bind them though, or it becomes a book. I recommend a briefcase, for style points, but padding your clothes with them like a hobo works in a pinch.You misunderstood me. There's nothing stopping you from targeting a Book with Explosive Runes with more Explosive Runes.