PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean

danzibr
2011-12-05, 09:01 PM
Just wondering if anyone's played any games in the series and what they think about it.

I've only played Star Ocean 2 on the PS and Star Ocean 3 on the PS2. To be honest, I was disappointed with Star Ocean 3. I mean, it's still a good game, but hard to compete with its predecessor.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-06, 07:43 AM
I played one of them on the Playstation. Don't remember if it was number 1 or number 2. I think the main guy was named Claude. I remember it had an interesting skill system.

I also watched the anime version of it, which was pretty good.

danzibr
2011-12-06, 07:54 AM
I played one of them on the Playstation. Don't remember if it was number 1 or number 2. I think the main guy was named Claude. I remember it had an interesting skill system.

I also watched the anime version of it, which was pretty good.
Yeah, that was totally Star Ocean 2. Oh man, I love that game. I kind of want to get a PSP just for its remake (I think it's PSP).

pendell
2011-12-06, 04:33 PM
I played SO 3 on the PS/2. One of my favorite games. I especially enjoy Peppita and her "counter-attack" move. That and "dream hammer" allow her to take on just about any boss in the game.

Besides, seeing a gigantic dragon getting smacked with a comedically large hammer is good for a fit of the giggles every time.

Can't forget Crispin Freeman acting as Albel the Wicked. That alone was worth the cost of the game.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ogremindes
2011-12-06, 04:57 PM
Star Ocean 1 is a great game... at the start. It degrades as time passes and by the end you find a city entrance that never opens and a lever that gives the message "This lever does nothing" And after that the endgame is just plain horrible.

The only other one I've played is 'til the End of Time (I don't recall what number that one is), and I enjoyed that thoroughly, but I don't remember much about it. In neither case I care to go into the postgame content (did SO1 have that? I think it did.)

Zevox
2011-12-06, 05:00 PM
I rented the one on the 360 once (not sure what number it is, I'm not terribly familiar with the series). And honestly was very off-put by it. The combat was a lot like the Tales series, which was nice, but the difficulty of the opening segment was absurd. None of your opening characters could cast healing spells, you had far too few healing items, and the first region was massive and full of monsters, plus had the obligatory boss fight at the end. It took me days of trying to finish it, and by the time I did, I didn't have much more patience for the game, so I didn't get much further before taking it back to the rental store, and haven't rented it again since.

Also, while I normally don't get bothered by the whole JRPG convention of relatively young characters being on important missions and saving the world and whatnot, I was really off-put by how it was executed in that one. The excuse that they couldn't send anyone else out of the entire crew seemed awfully thin, as I'd have imagined it would be better to keep the youngest, most inexperienced members around to do simpler, less mission-critical tasks, not send them off in your only functioning ship to explore other worlds after you've crash-landed on one yourself.

Zevox

supermonkeyjoe
2011-12-07, 08:23 AM
Just the first one ages ago on, I remember the story essentially playing like an episode of star trek.

banjo1985
2011-12-08, 09:13 AM
Played Star Ocean 2 on the PS2, and never really got very far with it. I just couldn't get on with characters, and that tends to stop me dead in JRPG's. I've been tempted by the new one on the 360, but haven't got around to picking it up yet.

Cieyrin
2011-12-08, 03:03 PM
The only other one I've played is 'til the End of Time (I don't recall what number that one is), and I enjoyed that thoroughly, but I don't remember much about it. In neither case I care to go into the postgame content (did SO1 have that? I think it did.)

That's 3, the newest one is 4.

The only one I've played is 3 and I enjoyed it thoroughly, except when I get to the Moon. There's a machine critter or another that, for whatever reason, gives me hell, in that it seems to shoot my characters just as they recover from being hit and thus juggles them into unconsciousness. It's stopped me from getting any further due to frustration.

Also, while I like the creation system, I can't seem to get it to really work for me, as I always seem to fall behind other inventers and whatnot, much to my annoyance. Is there some trick that that I'm missing?

pendell
2011-12-09, 03:55 PM
That's 3, the newest one is 4.

The only one I've played is 3 and I enjoyed it thoroughly, except when I get to the Moon. There's a machine critter or another that, for whatever reason, gives me hell, in that it seems to shoot my characters just as they recover from being hit and thus juggles them into unconsciousness. It's stopped me from getting any further due to frustration.

Also, while I like the creation system, I can't seem to get it to really work for me, as I always seem to fall behind other inventers and whatnot, much to my annoyance. Is there some trick that that I'm missing?

There are a couple of ways to beat that Destroyer -- six-legged monster with guns and missiles, right?

Solution

1) Use Maria with the best gun and "aiming device" technique.
2) Before leaving Ellicoor ii, invent Orichalcum and synth it to your most important weapons for an easy ATK +500.
3) Level up Sophia against other enemies, keeping her under manual control. Get her up to the point where she can cast "restoration", then just be a coward. When you get into a fight like that, simply run her away from the bad guys and restore the rest of your party as soon as they are killed off. Not even the machines can win against enemies that just won't die.

4) Just avoid those combats altogether. There's only one mandatory fight on Luna. The robots can be ignored.

5) If all else fails, level up more.

I never had much trouble on Luna even in 4d mode -- except against those flying turret things with gatling guns. Those I could take on galaxy or universe mode but ran from them in 4d mode.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Anteros
2011-12-09, 04:48 PM
I've never played it, but I've watched my roommate play the 4th one. He likes it. It seems interesting, but I'm not completely sold on the battle system. Don't know if the earlier ones are any different.

Cieyrin
2011-12-09, 08:44 PM
I never had much trouble on Luna even in 4d mode -- except against those flying turret things with gatling guns. Those I could take on galaxy or universe mode but ran from them in 4d mode.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

It was those damn flying turrets. Gods, I hate those things. :smallfurious: