PDA

View Full Version : Slower than Contiental drift

big teej
2011-12-05, 11:29 PM
greetings playgrounders!

I have a character who has the "slow" trait, reducing my speed to 15 feet.

I am also wearing Battle plate, which would normally reduce my speed to 20 feet.

I am curious.... does this make my speed 10 or 5 feet? or does it remain at 15?

Greenish
2011-12-05, 11:34 PM
10 ft. Apply in most beneficial order (ie. first armour, then slow).

big teej
2011-12-05, 11:43 PM
10 ft. Apply in most beneficial order (ie. first armour, then slow).

are you sure? my base speed now is 15 feet, or is that just how the math is done?

Diefje
2011-12-05, 11:59 PM
30 x 1/2 x 2/3= 10?

alchemyprime
2011-12-06, 12:01 AM
30 x 1/2 x 2/3= 10?

Slow halves your speed; Armor knocks of 10 ft.

So knock off ten feet, then halve it, because that's the most beneficial order.

Diefje
2011-12-06, 12:08 AM
Slow halves your speed; Armor knocks of 10 ft.

So knock off ten feet, then halve it, because that's the most beneficial order.

Armor doesn't take off 10 though. It takes off 10 at 30 base speed. At 20 it's 15 (13.3333 rounded up).

Greenish
2011-12-06, 12:55 AM
Armor doesn't take off 10 though. It takes off 10 at 30 base speed. At 20 it's 15 (13.3333 rounded up).Yeah, but 15/2=7.5, and rounded (as always) down to nearest 5 ft. increment is 5 ft.

Rubik
2011-12-06, 01:45 AM
My vote is that for some reason (despite having playable races with differing speeds IN CORE) they never thought anyone would ever play anything but a dwarven or human fighter or cleric in full plate.

sonofzeal
2011-12-06, 01:54 AM
My vote is that for some reason (despite having playable races with differing speeds IN CORE) they never thought anyone would ever play anything but a dwarven or human fighter or cleric in full plate.
Proven wrong here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#bardingMediumCreatureandLarge Creature) and here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#tacticalMovement). They just didn't consider BASE speeds less than 20 or more than 60, and to be fair most creatures do fit into that range.

ericgrau
2011-12-06, 10:59 AM
The armor modifies your base speed, so start at 15' then reduce due to armor. Yes as noted above there's no information on what to do below 15'. However we can tell from the pattern that the reduction is between 0' and 5'. I'm inclined to guess 5' leaving your final speed at 10'.

legomaster00156
2011-12-06, 11:47 AM
Well, well, well. SOMEBODY'S gonna benefit from an Extended Expeditious Retreat.

big teej
2011-12-06, 02:07 PM
Well, well, well. SOMEBODY'S gonna benefit from an Extended Expeditious Retreat.

>.>
<.<

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe....

so, the general consensus is that my speed in armor is now 10 feet?

jiriku
2011-12-06, 02:11 PM
I would also agree with that math.

CTrees
2011-12-06, 02:30 PM
You could use Pathfinder's chart (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/alignment-description/carrying-capacity) (scroll down). It's something, at least (and concurs with the general opinion that your speed would be 10ft).

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-06, 03:17 PM

This sounds familiar. Where and what is it?

legomaster00156
2011-12-06, 04:48 PM
This sounds familiar. Where and what is it?

Expeditious Retreat + Extend Spell metamagic feat. That's all it is.

DarthCyberWolf
2011-12-06, 04:54 PM
Lets complicate things further! Throw in Mountain Plate!

Not even gonna think about what that would be.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-06, 06:23 PM
Expeditious Retreat + Extend Spell metamagic feat. That's all it is.

:smallsigh: Duh. What does the spell do? Where is it in books?

RaggedAngel
2011-12-06, 06:28 PM
:smallsigh: Duh. What does the spell do? Where is it in books?

In the... Player's Handbook? It's one of the most commonly referred-to spells, right after Magic Missile and Feather Fall.

Here it is on the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/expeditiousRetreat.htm)

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-06, 06:41 PM
In the... Player's Handbook? It's one of the most commonly referred-to spells, right after Magic Missile and Feather Fall.

Here it is on the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/expeditiousRetreat.htm)

OH! Wow. I always look over that spell because Haste is so much better. I can't believe I didn't recognize it.

big teej
2011-12-06, 06:45 PM
Lets complicate things further! Throw in Mountain Plate!

Not even gonna think about what that would be.

on a halfling!

Rockphed
2011-12-06, 06:56 PM
OH! Wow. I always look over that spell because Haste is so much better. I can't believe I didn't recognize it.

Expeditious retreat is a 1st level spell. Haste is a third. Aside from the general lack of reason to use expeditious retreat(and thus its improbability of being prepared) and its personal range, if all you need is to be able to run away faster, expeditious retreat is a better use of resources. Fortunately, both problems with expeditious retreat may be solved with potions.

Also, Haste can only double movement rates. Expeditious retreat adds 30 feet to walking speed, with no caveat. Getting extended on a potion, if memory serves, is nigh unto impossible.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-12-06, 07:01 PM
Expeditious retreat is a 1st level spell. Haste is a third. Aside from the general lack of reason to use expeditious retreat(and thus its improbability of being prepared) and its personal range, if all you need is to be able to run away faster, expeditious retreat is a better use of resources. Fortunately, both problems with expeditious retreat may be solved with potions.

Also, Haste can only double movement rates. Expeditious retreat adds 30 feet to walking speed, with no caveat. Getting extended on a potion, if memory serves, is nigh unto impossible.

See I've never had to run from a fight without having access to powerful teleportation effects like Dimension Door. Thus I never looked at ways of boosting mundane methods of escape. Its just my personal expierience is all.

ericgrau
2011-12-06, 07:35 PM
Personal spells like expeditious retreat cannot be made into potions (nor cast on allies for that matter). There's also not much reason to extend it since its duration is minutes/level. Longstrider lasts a lot longer but it's also personal. You'd probably want boots of striding and springing at put up with the +10' for a few thousand gp. It's up 24 hours and doesn't have that pesky activation time.

There is one other caveat on expeditious retreat. It increases your base speed rather than total so reduction from armor comes after leaving you at a final speed of 30' rather than 40'.

Rubik
2011-12-06, 08:05 PM
Personal spells like expeditious retreat cannot be made into potions (nor cast on allies for that matter). There's also not much reason to extend it since its duration is minutes/level. Longstrider lasts a lot longer but it's also personal. You'd probably want boots of striding and springing at put up with the +10' for a few thousand gp. It's up 24 hours and doesn't have that pesky activation time.

There is one other caveat on expeditious retreat. It increases your base speed rather than total so reduction from armor comes after leaving you at a final speed of 30' rather than 40'.Grab a psionic tattoo of it (spell-to-power erudite) or of the Skate power (or just buy the boots for 7k for it at will).

Unlike potions, tattoos can be of personal powers.