PDA

View Full Version : Psi-like abilities - Augmentable?

Eldan
2011-12-06, 08:21 AM
So, I've never actually paid much attention to psionics, the system didn't interest me much.

Now, I'm doing a bit of homebrew on a creature that gets psionic abilities, however. So, here's a question:

The SRD says that Psi-like abilities are treated as powers unless where the text says otherwise. Does that mean they can be augmented, according to their manifester level? Say, if a creature had Empty Mind at ML 3, could it give itself a +3 bonus to will saves?

AmberVael
2011-12-06, 08:23 AM
When a creature uses a psi-like ability, the power is manifested as if the creature had spent a number of power points equal to its manifester level, which may augment the power to improve its damage or save DC. However, the creature does not actually spend power points for its psi-like abilities, even if it has a power point reserve due to racial abilities, class levels, or some other psionic ability.

Don't think I need to say anything else.

The Glyphstone
2011-12-06, 08:24 AM
Aren't PLAs automatically augmented to maximum for free?

Psyren
2011-12-06, 09:06 AM
Aren't PLAs automatically augmented to maximum for free?

Yes, that's what Vael's quote says :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-12-06, 09:15 AM
Ah. Is that just in the book? I only have access to the SRD for psionics.

Which has this to say:

Psi-Like Abilities (Ps)

The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability, as is the manifestation of powers by creatures without a psionic class (creatures with the psionic subtype, also simply called psionic creatures). Usually, a psionic creature’s psi-like ability works just like the power of that name. A few psi-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

Psi-like abilities have no verbal, somatic, or material components, nor do they require a focus or have an XP cost (even if the equivalent power has an XP cost). The user activates them mentally. Armor never affects a psi-like ability’s use. A psi-like ability has a manifesting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability description. In all other ways, a psi-like ability functions just like a power. However, a psionic creature does not have to pay a psi-like ability’s power point cost.

Psi-like abilities are subject to power resistance and to being dispelled by dispel psionics. They do not function in areas where psionics is suppressed or negated.

So, no mention of augmentation at all.

The Glyphstone
2011-12-06, 09:16 AM
Yes, that's what Vael's quote says :smalltongue:

Yup, I got Lurk'd.

AmberVael
2011-12-06, 09:24 AM
Ah. Is that just in the book? I only have access to the SRD for psionics.

It's right here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/overview.htm#psiLikeAbilities)

Not sure why the SRD has two separate psi-like abilities sections, but it does.

Eldan
2011-12-06, 09:25 AM
That's... stupid. Really. I didn't even think of checking the monster section.

Cog
2011-12-06, 12:13 PM
It just means that any humanoid character with PLAs has to say "I'm a monster, rawr!" before manifesting them with augmentation.

Big Fau
2011-12-06, 12:16 PM

WotC wasn't exactly known for putting everything where it's supposed to be (PGtE, for example, has 6 or so feats hidden in it with no index to reference).