PDA

View Full Version : Re: The Periodic Table of Elementals

Geordnet
2011-12-06, 10:25 AM
Starting a new thread for this one to avoid thread necromacy.

Prior Threads: (that I know of)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37386
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152072
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218220

More work has already been done on this than I would ever dare try, but I have a couple new ideas to add. (I'll still leave it to those more experienced than I to work out the mechanics for them, though.)

The first idea: Reactionals. (Ok, so it's really his :redcloak: idea...)

I'm not a chemist, so besides for Combustion (aka fire) I don't know the names of many types of chemical reactions. And I have a sneaking suspicion that there's a lot of overlap in the ones I have heard of.

Although, I'd suggest that some processes that aren't technically chemical reactions be added to the list: an Ionization Reactional is just too cool to leave out.

The second idea is this: Fundamentals.

I'll just let you think about the consequences of summoning a Gluon Fundamental... Or a Strange Fundamental...

Or maybe laugh at the guy who summons a Neutrino Fundamental. :smallwink:

Now, I've got just two words left to say:
Tachyon Theoretical :smallbiggrin:

Arakune
2011-12-06, 10:36 AM
There is Fire, maybe cold, definitely light. Anything else for reactionals?

Yitzi
2011-12-06, 10:37 AM
Or maybe laugh at the guy who summons a Neutrino Fundamental. :smallwink:

Don't laugh. They might be small and unable to do much, but they make great messengers if the recipient can detect and communicate with them. Great for getting a message across thousands of miles and serious barriers.

TaRix
2011-12-06, 10:46 AM
Why settle for mere combustion? For a viciously hot reaction, look up the word 'thermite'. My chemistry prof. said that the best way to show that reaction was "videodisc."

Let's see... oxidation/reduction reactions might fit by either removing or promoting rust in its vicinity.

And, if aforementioned thermite doesn't have enough punch, go for fission and/or fusion. Not for the faint of heart(or for anything anywhere close.)

Wyntonian
2011-12-06, 11:10 AM
I got it... double replacement reactionals. Boom. Any my chemistry teacher said I didn't pay attention! (No, he didn't actually, I just loathed him and his ridiculous beard)

Geordnet
2011-12-06, 05:18 PM
Fire is combustion, cold is just a lack of heat (a property, not a reaction), and there's a Photon Fundamental.

Don't laugh. They might be small and unable to do much, but they make great messengers if the recipient can detect and communicate with them. Great for getting a message across thousands of miles and serious barriers.
Wow, I didn't think of that one. But yeah, it makes sense. Any of the three Neutrino Fundamentals would be essentially immune to anything but magical dismissal etc., but likewise unable to affect anything else; but that's just fine for a messanger. The only trick would be to make sure the recipient has his arcane sight switched on at the moment...

Why settle for mere combustion? For a viciously hot reaction, look up the word 'thermite'. My chemistry prof. said that the best way to show that reaction was "videodisc."

Let's see... oxidation/reduction reactions might fit by either removing or promoting rust in its vicinity.

And, if aforementioned thermite doesn't have enough punch, go for fission and/or fusion. Not for the faint of heart(or for anything anywhere close.)
Hm... Well, they are Nuclear Reactions, so I guess they'd work. For feasibility's sake we can assume their respective reactions are moderated magically. A Fission Reactional would probably have to possess an object containing elements heavier than iron or else run out of fuel though, and a Fusion Reactional would have to be a special case only monster.

Add to this list three types of Decay Reactionals as well, I guess.

I got it... double replacement reactionals. Boom. Any my chemistry teacher said I didn't pay attention! (No, he didn't actually, I just loathed him and his ridiculous beard)
Um, I guess; I haven't taken my college chem class yet, and I've forgotten most of my high-school level stuff. :smallyuk:

As I said, I'm not a chemist. (I'm an Electrical Engineer) :smallwink:

Wyntonian
2011-12-06, 07:38 PM
It was one of the five types of reactions. Synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, combustion.

Just to Browse
2011-12-07, 01:58 AM
I do chemistry!

Soo Reactionals:

Combust Reactional: Fire Damage. Makes itself explode. You could have varieties of these.

Oxidization-Reduction Reactional: OH DEAR GOD. Super strong. Thermite and the explosion of Sodium/Lithium/etc. fit in here. Combustion Reactionals with life timers is all I can think of, really.

Acid/Base Reactional: Kinda like an ooze. Each attack deals damage, and it has significant weakness to something like citrus or baking powder. The ability "Buffer" could be another chem joke added there.

There are spontaneous reactions that decrease heat, and those that suck in air. A cool idea is that certain elementals and reactionals could decay into other weaker versions when killed or when their timers hit 0, adding an element of "kite it to death" to combat, and perhaps a theme around dryad-esque homes. An "Ice 2 Elemental" would also be interesting to consider.

Eldan
2011-12-07, 05:25 AM
The acid/base reactional should totally be called a protonational.

How about Phase change-ionals? (Need a better name). Condensational, Sublimational and so forth.

The Neutrino fundamental is, by the way, incorporeal, ethereal and maybe even able to travel through time. It's a fantastic scout.

How about this for a fissional: it's an incorporeal spirit that possesses creatures made from heavy elements (constructs, mostly, but also some elementals) and causes them to constantly gain negative levels until they die. At which point, I suppose, they turn into lead elementals.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-07, 02:53 PM

Explosion ractionals.

... also inplosion...

legomaster00156
2011-12-07, 04:23 PM
Explosion ractionals.

... also inplosion...
DM: "An Implosion Reactional has entered your body. You take 2,000 damage, no save, and your body is reduced to thousands of chunky, bloody bits. Roll up a new character."

Lateral
2011-12-07, 11:43 PM
The second idea is this: Fundamentals.

I'll just let you think about the consequences of summoning a Gluon Fundamental... Or a Strange Fundamental...

Now, I've got just two words left to say:
Tachyon Theoretical :smallbiggrin:
Oh, god, a Gluon Fundamental would kill things horribly. I have a feeling that, if the Elementals are anywhere from low to high CR, the Fundamentals should be low-to-mid Epic levels and Theoreticals to be high-Epic. Like, CR 25-ish for the Strange Fundamental, 30-ish for the Gluon Fundamental, and 40 or something for the Theoretical.