PDA

View Full Version : Favorite NES/SNES Games

hivedragon
2011-12-06, 03:33 PM
I've got my hands on one of those Nintendo/Super Nintendo Combo units.
What are the best nes/snes games you've played?

MonarchAnarch
2011-12-06, 03:39 PM
battletoads.

Eakin
2011-12-06, 04:20 PM
I recommend the golden age Squaresoft RPGs. Chrono Trigger, FF 4 5 and 6, Secret of Mana, and Super Mario RPG.

Link to the Past is probably the best of the Zelda series

I always liked the Mega Man X series if you're into that.

Also Super Metroid

The Dark Fiddler
2011-12-06, 04:25 PM
Earthbound. Also one of the only SNES games I've ever played, but what're you gonna do? Such is life, picking up gaming after its era had passed.

Lost Demiurge
2011-12-06, 04:25 PM
When I was a kid I played Dragon Warrior 3 to death, just about. 4 was good too, but not in the same way...

Final fantasy I, II, and III, Maniac Mansion, Castlevania 3, Zelda and Link to the Past... Chrono Trigger... An obscure strategy game called Gemfire... Mm, lotsa good memories.

Eldariel
2011-12-06, 04:34 PM
Everything Eakin said. I'll especially emphasize Final Fantasy VI/III and Chrono Trigger as the greatest JRPGs ever made. Super Mario RPG is much more light-hearted and with the familiar cast but still awesome. And of course, Zeldas have never let you down. I'm just sad you probably won't be able to get the best Secret of Mana; Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 was never released outside Japan so it'll probably be impossible to get it running due to localization and even if you did, unless you know Japanese you probably couldn't play it outside an emulator.

Also, the classic platformers; Super Marios (even Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros 2), Metroids. Megamans (especially Megaman 2 and 3 for NES - all of them are good but those are without doubt the crown jewels). I'm partial to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2; was surprisingly fun. Battletoads is also fun. And Contra - though beware the NES learning curve for most of the formers.

Blades of Steel and Nintendo World Cup are some of my favorite sports games mostly because of how absurd much of the content is. Blades of Steel has the loser of a fight on field going to the penalty box, for instance. World Cup has 5-man teams, superkicks and all the good stuff. Oh, and Punch-Out!

Though superior versions exist, Street Fighter II: The New Challengers is still a surprisingly solid Beat 'em Up. And of course, World Warrior has the godmode Guile if that's your thing. But outside Arcades, I'd just go with New Challengers.

Oh, and few more obscure ones:
- Metal Marines is a surprisingly amusing super-simple strategy game for SNES.
- Blaster Master is a pretty weird, but fun platformer. Damn hard tho.

Mando Knight
2011-12-06, 04:41 PM
battletoads.
Co-op, of course? :smalltongue:

Most of the gems are on the Wii's Virtual Console (not Earthbound and maybe a couple others, though, due to licensing issues or poor reception in the US). I'd browse through that library to get an idea.

The Wii's VC might actually be a better choice for some of the games, since the battery-based save systems are probably dead by now and good luck finding controllers and cartridges in good condition for a reasonable price.

Gnoman
2011-12-06, 08:26 PM
Really? Not only does anyplace that sells those combo units tend to sell knockoff controllers dirt-cheap, nes and snes controllers were manufactured in such vast numbers that they are extremely easy to find. For that matter, most cartridges, apart from MegaMan and Final Fantasy titles, are very cheap as well.

boj0
2011-12-06, 09:10 PM
Same three answers I give in every kind of this thread:
1. Illusion of Gaia
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Super Mario World

Misery Esquire
2011-12-06, 10:48 PM
- Blaster Master is a pretty weird, but fun platformer wonderful. Damn hard tho.

Oh god, three continues for that whole game, though. :smalleek:

Mutant Sheep
2011-12-06, 11:14 PM
I recommend the golden age Squaresoft RPGs. Chrono Trigger, FF 4 5 and 6, Secret of Mana, and Super Mario RPG.

What the pony said. :smallbiggrin: Especially the Chrono Trigger though. (And Donkey Kong Country's. Those are awesome too.)

busterswd
2011-12-06, 11:45 PM
SNES:
Super Metroid
Super Mario World 1/2
Link to the Past
Kirby Super Star
FF III/Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana (best w/ multiplayer)
Super Bomberman (any, multiplayer)
Super Mario RPG
Super Contra
Super Gargoyle's Quest
Turtles in Time

NES:
TMNT 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby's Adventure
Megaman (pretty much any)
Adventure Island (any)
Little Nemo
Duck Tales
Legend of Zelda
Gargoyle's Quest 2

All worth trying, and stuff off the top of my head.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-07, 12:32 AM
SNES:
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Super Mario World
Mortal Kombat 2
Link to the Past

Raistlin1040
2011-12-07, 12:50 AM
Megaman II/III, Destiny of an Emperor (Also Destiny of an Emperor II if you can find an English bootleg or can read Japanese).

Eldariel
2011-12-07, 05:01 AM
Oh god, three continues for that whole game, though. :smalleek:

I can proudly say I've finished it. Also, there was that Grenade+Pause bug which was pretty abusable if wanting an easy ride :smallbiggrin: Along the same lines is Bionic Commando, actually (that I have not finished).

Oh, few other games came to me overnight:
- Guardian Legend [NES]; a Zelda-style isometric exploration game (on a space station) with scrolling space shooter parts. Totally awesome (and pretty long, especially for a 100% clear).
- Bionic Commando [NES]: I already mentioned it, but that game is totally awesome.
- Metal Gear [NES]: I don't know about others but I actually liked the first one. It's pretty typical "find X, Y & Z, go kill Big Boss" but it does it all pretty well.

I'd have to repeat some of what busterswd posted too; Adventure Island, Little Nemo and Duck Tales are all classics.

Somehow I also forgot the Castlevania series. I particularly liked Super Castlevania.

EDIT: Oh! Cobra Triangle was cool!

Drascin
2011-12-07, 05:27 AM
People have said most of what I wanted to say (Metroid, FF, Illusion of Time, DKC, Mario, Kirby...). A couple overlooked SNES gems, though:

- Terranigma. Seriously, get this game. Slightly Zelda-like, but has a wonderful story and is generally one of the masterpieces of the SNES.

- Lufia II: Seriously, people? All these RPG recommendations and nobody mentions Rise of the Sinistrals? For shame! Anyway, Lufia 2 is a wonderful RPG. The battles are quite classic turn-based, with an odd Limit Break system, and the story is neat if not overwhelmingly awesome - but what makes the game are the puzzles.

- Metal Warriors: This is probably one of the best classic mech games. Has duel multiplayer, too, if you have someone to play with!

Toastkart
2011-12-07, 05:33 AM
Super Mario RPG
Mega Man X series
Secret of Evermore
Link to the Past
F-zero
Super Earth Defense Force
Super Godzilla

The Snes Star Wars games weren't bad either, but of the three, Return of the Jedi was the best.

Serpentine
2011-12-07, 05:37 AM
Finally, a thread for me! :D
When I bought it, my SNES was the most I'd ever paid for one thing, especially one thing for myself - about $120, I think for the console, two controllers and a few games. This was in about... 1999ish?

Yoshi's Island is my favouritest game ever.
Lufia II was great. I really, really wanted to play it again, but my copy's gone flat :smallfrown: I downloaded an emulator, but it's just not the same... Those screwdrivers to open it are weirdly hard to get a hold of. Gotta contact Nintendo directly :smallsigh:
I've finished Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 before. I bought a copy of #1, but it was the gorram American version, so now I've gotta get an adaptor for it :smallsigh:
I still love Super Mario Kart, but as I've just discovered, it's really not much fun to play when you're the only one who's any good at it :/

Starwulf
2011-12-07, 06:33 AM
Hmm, the greatest era of video games!

NES:
Castlevania 1-2
Metroid
Duck tales
Super Mario Bros 3
Legend of Zelda 1-2
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest(Warrior back then) 1-4, Especially 3 and 4
Crystalis
Wrath of the Black Manta
Karnov
Bionic Commando
Metal Gear

SNES:
Final Fantasy 2, 3(4 and 6 chronologically)
Super Metroid
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Illusion of Gaia
Breath of Fire 1-2
Legend of Zelda: A link to the past
Earthbound
Super Black Bass Fishing!
Castlevania IV
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 1-2
Ogre Quest(I think that's what it's called, it's been a while)
Mega Man X1, 2, 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Super Contra(I did the Iron Man Challenge for this once: Playing from easy to hardest difficulty(Yes, multiple trips through the game) Without using a single continue. great fun!)
Many many more titles whose names are slipping my mind right now, but I"m sure have either already been mentioned, or likely will be before this thread is through ^^

Oooh, yeah, F-Zero and Super Godzilla definitely!

ninja_penguin
2011-12-07, 06:45 AM
Let's see for Nintendo:

Startropics 2 (and 1, to a point, but I liked 2 better overall, as the better controls made it easier)
Super Mario 3
Megman 2-6 (Quick maaaaaaaaan!)

Super Nintendo:

Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Battleclash/Metal Combat (2/3rds of the superscope library, right there!)
Final Fantasy 3/6
Crono Trigger (boo, cross!)
Lufia II (although it loses points for being one of the first 'everybody dies' endings I was exposed to as a kid)
Illusion of Gaia (gains points for it's huge hint manual before the days of Gamefaqs. Loses points for its ending again, similar to Lufia)
Stunt Racer FX (most of its points comes from being the only game I ever played actively with my dad)
Secret of Evermore (the music still makes me HNNNNGH to this day)

JabberwockySupafly
2011-12-07, 07:50 AM
A lot of awesome games have been mentioned. One thing that kind of shames me is everyone is mentioning Illusion of Gaia, but aren't mentioning parts I & III of the trilogy.

Get Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma (which Drascin actually mentioned). Play them in that (chronological) order if possible. All 3 are great action RPGs and easily stand up to Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana in the SNES era of the genre. Some of my favourite games.

I'm also shocked no one has mentioned Act Raiser yet. Get the first, ignore the 2nd. The first is Castlevania meets Sim City with a few RPG elements thrown in. Really unique game. The 2nd one ruined it by removing all the sim elements and RPG elements and being a relatively generic action platformer. Bit of a shame.

Arcana is a relatively cool little dungeon-crawler RPG with interesting design (the art direction is based after Tarot cards, including the characters) and happens to be a bit of good fun.

Starwulf mentioned a game called Ogre Quest, which I'm pretty sure he meant is Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen . One of my favourite games and I cannot recommend it enough. Also, almost everything in the game is a reference to a song by Queen, hence the game's title (Ogre Battle is actually the name of a Queen song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-SMOsXCc0c)) and also helps making it even more awesome if such a thing is possible.

Knights of the Round & King of Dragons are both awesome Beat 'Em Ups in the vein of Final Fight, but based around swords & socrcery. They also happen to be made by Capcom, who knew how to make a good Beat 'Em Up in the days of SNES.

If you like Shmups then Gradius III & Super R-Type are both made of win and should be played with great zeal and vigor.

That's... all I can think of right now. It's been too long since I played an NES game, so beyond the usual recommendations there's not much I can honestly say you should try. And those are all the SNES games I can think of right now.

Lost Demiurge
2011-12-07, 10:14 AM
Wait, how could I forget...

Guardian Legend for the NES. Trust me, it's a little known gem!

The Succubus
2011-12-07, 10:34 AM
Finally, a thread for me! :D
When I bought it, my SNES was the most I'd ever paid for one thing, especially one thing for myself - about $120, I think for the console, two controllers and a few games. This was in about... 1999ish?

Yoshi's Island is my favouritest game ever.
Lufia II was great. I really, really wanted to play it again, but my copy's gone flat :smallfrown: I downloaded an emulator, but it's just not the same... Those screwdrivers to open it are weirdly hard to get a hold of. Gotta contact Nintendo directly :smallsigh:
I've finished Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 before. I bought a copy of #1, but it was the gorram American version, so now I've gotta get an adaptor for it :smallsigh:
I still love Super Mario Kart, but as I've just discovered, it's really not much fun to play when you're the only one who's any good at it :/

Should bring a SNES to the UK meet-up, Serpy. I'm sure there's a few folks here that could give you a run for your $AU. It was Battle Mode that I tended to be best at, rather than races tho.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet but get Chrono Trigger. Seriously, stop reading this post, go along to your nearest CEX or old school game store and get a copy now. Except if you really did stop reading this post, then you wouldn't have read that last bit, or this bit either.

Serpentine
2011-12-07, 11:08 AM
You have no idea how incredibly, completely tempting that is. If I have space I may well bring it, but I really doubt it - and there's a dozen things I'm saying "if I have the space for it..." for.

Zeta Kai
2011-12-07, 12:01 PM
NES (12)

Castlevania 3
Dragon Warrior IV
Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Metroid
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tetris

Super NES (15)

Chrono Trigger
EarthBound
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Illusion of Gaia
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
SoulBlazer
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Street Fighter II
Terranigma

And I will state for the record that Battletoads was not a good game. It was a popular game, but it was not good. The graphics were not that impressive, even for 8-bit; the art design was good, though. There were numerous bugs which could make your game more difficult or even unplayable; it was obvious that the developers did very little playtesting or patching prior to release, which was almost unheard of in that era. And the difficulty was ludicrous; there is no reason for a game to be this hard (which goes back to the lack of testing). A game is not fun if it's not fair, & this was likely the first video game that I played that was fundamentally unfair. And a game that is not fun is not a good game. QED.

Misery Esquire
2011-12-07, 01:29 PM
Oh, and Battle of Olympus was... Interesting. Great "checkpoint" system for kids, who thought the whole "secret code" thing was amazing. /cough

Starwulf
2011-12-07, 03:13 PM
A lot of awesome games have been mentioned. One thing that kind of shames me is everyone is mentioning Illusion of Gaia, but aren't mentioning parts I & III of the trilogy.

Get Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma (which Drascin actually mentioned). Play them in that (chronological) order if possible. All 3 are great action RPGs and easily stand up to Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana in the SNES era of the genre. Some of my favourite games.
Starwulf mentioned a game called Ogre Quest, which I'm pretty sure he meant is Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen . One of my favourite games and I cannot recommend it enough. Also, almost everything in the game is a reference to a song by Queen, hence the game's title (Ogre Battle is actually the name of a Queen song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-SMOsXCc0c)) and also helps making it even more awesome if such a thing is possible.

Ahh, yeah, that's it! Lol, Not sure why I had the "Quest" part stuck inside my head for. I knew it looked wrong when I typed it this morning, but I was half asleep and wasn't thinking to clearly.

Also, yes to the first and third part of the series that contains Illusion of Gaia. I'd have mentioned those as well, if, again, I had been awake enough to think clearly(Had just gotten up to get daughter on bus when I made my post).

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-12-07, 04:30 PM
NES: Probably either Zelda 1 or Mario 3. I played those games so much.

SNES: Didn't own one, but I'd have to say Zelda 3 from what I did play. FF6 if you include years later thanks to emulation.

Starwulf
2011-12-07, 04:46 PM
NES: Probably either Zelda 1 or Mario 3. I played those games so much.

SNES: Didn't own one, but I'd have to say Zelda 3 from what I did play. FF6 if you include years later thanks to emulation.

I really hate to be a nitpicker, but you're thinking of FF4 with the "Later Years" added on, and that can actually be bought for the PSP ^^. FF6 Was Locke, Terra, shadow, Cyan, Sabin, etc etc, FF4 was Rosa, Cecil, Edge, Kain, Rydia and the others that the Later Years was based on ^^

Zen Monkey
2011-12-07, 04:46 PM
The SNES version of Shadowrun was an overlooked gem. It had a very nice action rpg detective story sort of combination that worked well.

Also, FF2, FF3, Street Fighter 2, Sim City, Zelda, F-Zero, Super Mario World, etc..

TaRix
2011-12-07, 05:02 PM
Well, people have been mentioning a few nice titles. However, I'll try to focus on those I haven't seen on Virtual Console (though I haven't checked recently.) Beware, it'll be lengthy. Your mileage may also vary.

Some of my NES picks:
I'm partial to puzzles and adventures, so this explains the first few.
The Adventures of Lolo. 1-3. I saw the first two on VC, but not three. Don't know why; three's the best one in that it lets you do other puzzles if you get stuck on one somewhere else.
Fire and Ice by Tecmo. It's officially a prequel to its earlier arcade/console title Solomon's Key, but it's pure puzzle. Good for a smile.
Boulder Dash. Yes, the C64 version's on VC, but the NES cart is far superior. Smoother motion and better pushing. And music. And passwords.
Solstice. You're an isometric wizard questing in an isometric dungeon to reassemble a magical staff. It has an automap, even. Still puzzley, but the ending, like practically all 8-bit titles', are lacking.

For less pure puzzling and more adventuring:
Nightshade by Ultra (aka Konami.) It's a great graphical adventure-type title that was pretty well localized. You play a fledgling wannabe superhero who struggles to make a name for himself and stem a crime wave. You also get to escape from deathtraps when you get knocked out. Most of the time, anyways. Campy fun with multiple paths to victory.
Wizards and Warriors 3 (certainly NOT the two predecessors) but it's more for someone who has the patience to play cautiously... three lives and it's back to the very beginning for you! Puzzles and platforms mostly block the very-multiclassed main character here, thankfully, as he swaps garb for wizardry, thievery, and his comfy full plate.
Bionic Commando by Capcom. Because everyone really wants to shoot Hitler in the face with a bazooka. I did a 48-minute speed run of that game, once. Wheeee!
Legacy of the Wizard, published by Broderbund. Do not attempt without a manual... there's just an awful lot of magical tools that the Dragonslayer family can use. The interface isn't highly intuitive either. It's a vast world and the clan shares the load pretty well; even the pet pitches in. Kinda catchy music, too.
Taxan's 8-Eyes. It's not the smoothest game, but your character's a falconer. How cool is that? A second player can control the bird, too, though solo control works fine. Selectable levels ala Mega Man and a logic puzzle at the end.
Rare's Solar Jetman. The never-ending fight against gravity continues as you search for junk in extraterrestrial caverns. A few little in-jokes to be had.
Another vote for the Battle of Olympus.
For pure dungeon adventuring (even if out of doors at the time), there were console ports of The Bard's Tale and Might and Magic, as well as three Ultimas (Exodus, Quest of the Avatar, and Lords of Shadow)... of those three, Avatar's probably the nicest one to play. But I'd stick with the computer versions myself.
Crystalis is a nice Zelda-like game with some sneaky little puzzles, too.
Metalstorm by Irem, if you can find it affordably cheap. Not too hard, not too easy, and your guy flips gravity with the touch of a button.
As far as racing goes, I could probably only mention RC Pro-Am 2.
Another oddball title that no one would ever mention: Gumshoe by Nintendo. You guide a detective through a gauntlet of hazards with only your light gun. The Zapper's constant "tchwang" might annoy roommates and/or neighbors, though.

But my top recommendation for anyone that frequents these sorts of forums?
Magician by Taxan. Puzzles, spells, more spells, fighting, great music, and a fifteen-save maximum make for a great challenge. Do yourself a favor and DON'T see a walkthrough the first, oh, three times you find yourself starting over. Take notes of the spells you find, buy plenty of food, and don't go on a killing spree in the first level. (It'll go badly.) Experience comes from accomplishing objectives, which rarely if ever involves killing stuff... though you can go corpse-looting.

Phew. Now for the Super Nintendo picks.

Axelay(by Konami) was probably my most favorite shooter, even though it only had six or seven levels. Great sound, cool effects and bosses, and seriously useful weapons.
Also, Konami's port of Prince of Persia was probably the best one I've seen. Smooth and fast while keeping Mechner's rotoscope-quality animation. Also has good music and some extra levels that aren't in the original. Some satisfying funny bits, too.
The Super Scope's Battle Clash 2 (Falcon's Revenge) is pretty nice and has a bit of replay value. Also has a two-player mode where player two controls the enemy mech. Humans can certainly give a good match to an experienced shooter.
Yoshi's Safari, if you did bother to get a super scope. Mostly because it'd probably be dirt cheap.
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs--More or less a port of the original, it's far prettier, somewhat harder, and not nearly as bug-ridden as the NES version. The Dark Queen even deigns to give you a couple of bonus levels for a few more extra lives.
Another nod for Metal Warriors. Man, I wish I could find a copy of that one.
Konami's Dracula X. It's a Castlevania that doesn't even pretend to like you, even as it dazzles your eyes and ears. Multiple endings are possible, though probably seriously difficult to get. (I never did figure out how to use that stupid key, though it was fun to smash unsuspecting skellies with it.) Oh, and Richter Belmont's the protagonist in this one. You know, the guy that starts off Symphony of the Night? Good luck finding a copy, though. Maybe it's out on PSP somewhere.
Uniracers! Fast, wacky, and multiplayer-friendly. Do stunts to burn rubber!
Demon's Crest by Capcom. It stars the Ghosts and Goblins spinoff Firebrand (or as I've heard him called, "Arremer Ace") questing through the netherworld hunting for ultimate power. Fly, blast, drop, and maneuver obstacles and foes. Then change forms as the situation dictates. And do some headbanging in your downtime.
Equinox, the sequel to Solstice. Now with more fighting and more turbans!
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (don't laugh too loud.) It's really meant for your kids in order to get them addicted to RPGs. So, let them play and do all the busy work while you enjoy the sights and tunes. Nice tunes, too.
The Lost Vikings (and, to a lesser extent, The Lost Vikings 2), by Blizzard, before it became Blizzard. Frustrating yet charming, with easily-remembered passwords. The Viking banter is also good for a chuckle between levels.
Data East's Shadowrun, though I've heard say that the Genesis version is better. Good adventuring, munchkin potential (you can max out every skill and spell you can learn), and some unusual dialog.
And don't miss Super Metroid. Even if it is on Virtual Console.
Lemmings has a nice SNES port, and Lemmings 2: Tribes is more unique (though all the variety makes for an easier game.)

Gnoman
2011-12-07, 07:50 PM
I really hate to be a nitpicker, but you're thinking of FF4 with the "Later Years" added on, and that can actually be bought for the PSP ^^. FF6 Was Locke, Terra, shadow, Cyan, Sabin, etc etc, FF4 was Rosa, Cecil, Edge, Kain, Rydia and the others that the Later Years was based on ^^

No, he meant that he got into it years after the SNES era.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-07, 08:13 PM
The SNES version of Shadowrun was an overlooked gem. It had a very nice action rpg detective story sort of combination that worked well.

Also, FF2, FF3, Street Fighter 2, Sim City, Zelda, F-Zero, Super Mario World, etc..Heck, I played a German version of that game when I was 11-13. And even though I had no idea what was going on, it was awesome.

Hida Reju
2011-12-08, 05:54 AM
NES
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Nobunaga's ambition
Crystalis
Willow (the Movie RPG game)
Rygar
Contra
Goonies II

SNES
Breath of Fire
Shadowrun
Mechwarrior
Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Psyren
2011-12-08, 11:07 AM
battletoads.

BATTLETOADS *********ER, DO YOU HAVE IT???!

Though I personally prefer Battletoads vs. Double Dragon, that was an over 9000 combination right there :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, for SNES I highly, highly recommend Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3.

Also Chrono Trigger, the greatest JRPG of all time.

GungHo
2011-12-08, 11:46 AM
Super Dodge Ball and River City Ransom are great.

Triaxx
2011-12-08, 12:45 PM
Another Vote for Crystalis. It's awesome.

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-12-09, 09:41 AM
No, he meant that he got into it years after the SNES era.

Yeah, I never played FF6 (US 3) on the real console. It's amazing how emulation on the Wii can let you play treasures you missed during the 8 bit and 16 bit golden eras.

GungHo
2011-12-09, 09:45 AM
FF6 is one of those games that will never need a "HD" remake. It stands the test of time.

The Succubus
2011-12-09, 10:46 AM
FF6 is one of those games that will never need a "HD" remake. It stands the test of time.

I'd be happy to be able to play it again on my 3DS. :smallannoyed:

Mando Knight
2011-12-09, 12:36 PM

I dunno... FFIV DS was pretty sweet, and I'd like access to a localized version of the game that wasn't as censored as the SNES version... don't have a PlayStation, so I can't dig out someone's copy of the PS collection...

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-12-09, 02:51 PM
But some of the Woolseyism are great like "Son of a submariner"

Raimun
2011-12-09, 03:15 PM
Many of my favorites are mentioned but not these two.

SNES: Killer Instinct.
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

NES: Bad Dudes.
Eat your heart out, Shakespeare. This is the greatest story ever told by man.

Mando Knight
2011-12-09, 03:33 PM
But some of the Woolseyism are great like "Son of a submariner"

Oh, there's plenty of Woolseyisms they can keep (the bard is spoony, they checked!), but things like renaming Holy to Pearl are what I'd like to do without. If Squeenix can get the 3D effect down, I'd love to have a 3DS remake similar to FFIV DS (or DQIX).

ninja_penguin
2011-12-10, 09:31 AM
Oh, there's plenty of Woolseyisms they can keep (the bard is spoony, they checked!), but things like renaming Holy to Pearl are what I'd like to do without.

I remember as a kid going 'oh, so that's what those three orbs are. I didn't know you could do that with pearls'.

Yora
2011-12-11, 06:47 AM
I never played much SNES, but the one I played by far the most would be Super Street Fighter II.

VanBuren
2011-12-11, 04:28 PM
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Kart (Because it's amazing that's why)
Final Fantasy III (which was really FF6, but if you're looking for an SNES cartridge that's probably what you'll be looking for)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Final Fantasy II (Again, actually FF4, but see above)
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Those are your essentials.

Serpentine
2011-12-11, 09:14 PM
My friend and I finished DK2 last night :3
Not 100%, though v.v