PDA

View Full Version : Undead and The Taint?

Snowbluff
2011-12-06, 04:24 PM
Can someone tell how undead interact with taint or where I can find the rules for it?

Pokonic
2011-12-06, 04:30 PM
Can someone tell how undead interact with taint or where I can find the rules for it?

Do you mean the stuff from HOH or somesuch, or something else?

Gensh
2011-12-06, 04:34 PM
Using the modification of the rules originally presented in Oriental Adventures given in Heroes of Horror, creatures with the Evil subtype have a taint score of at least half their Charisma score, +1 for undead, +2 for evil outsiders.

Reluctance
2011-12-06, 04:39 PM
It's probably not there for skeletal ones, really icky for zombielike ones, and normal for the rest.
Or are you talking about the rule system? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm)

onemorelurker
2011-12-06, 09:27 PM
Using the modification of the rules originally presented in Oriental Adventures given in Heroes of Horror, creatures with the Evil subtype have a taint score of at least half their Charisma score, +1 for undead, +2 for evil outsiders.

HoH actually says that they have "effective" corruption and depravity scores, which I've never really understood. I know they don't suffer any of the ill effects of taint, but if an undead PC who has no taint other than his automatic effective taint gains a point of corruption, is his corruption score Cha/2 +2, or 1? Can undead and evil outsiders even gain taint above their automatic effective taint?

Gensh
2011-12-06, 09:59 PM
HoH actually says that they have "effective" corruption and depravity scores, which I've never really understood. I know they don't suffer any of the ill effects of taint, but if an undead PC who has no taint other than his automatic effective taint gains a point of corruption, is his corruption score Cha/2 +2, or 1? Can undead and evil outsiders even gain taint above their automatic effective taint?

The way I see it is that there are two ways to read it. The first is the way that I originally phrased it without really thinking wherein the default score based on creature type is a minimum and the character's own score is added. The second and likely correct reading is that the character has two taint scores: the effective score based on type and its own score. In this case, the type-based score would be a minimum value for the purpose of prerequisites, whereas the character's personal score would be used for the purpose of spells and such, thus making the type-based score incurable. In either case, the minimum would be unable to be reduced, though logically, the score could be increased because in horror, anything can get worse. :smallwink:

onemorelurker
2011-12-06, 10:05 PM
The way I see it is that there are two ways to read it. The first is the way that I originally phrased it without really thinking wherein the default score based on creature type is a minimum and the character's own score is added. The second and likely correct reading is that the character has two taint scores: the effective score based on type and its own score. In this case, the type-based score would be a minimum value for the purpose of prerequisites, whereas the character's personal score would be used for the purpose of spells and such, thus making the type-based score incurable. In either case, the minimum would be unable to be reduced, though logically, the score could be increased because in horror, anything can get worse. :smallwink:

Thanks! That clarifies things a lot.

Calanon
2011-12-06, 11:18 PM

I assume that they can indeed get taint above the effective level of taint since the Effective level of taint is just the minimum amount of taint that they naturally possess for being an Evil Undead/Outsider.