PDA

View Full Version : Hero's First Steps - Level 0 Rules

Sorcerer Blob
2011-12-07, 09:03 AM
Hey Playground,

I've been thinking of a new mini campaign (like 5-8 sessions-ish) and for fun and something new I've considered using the Level 0 rules as described in Dragon 403 (and subsequently Dungeon 194). Has anyone made use of these rules to any success or should I just avoid them outright?

I'm wanting to keep my mini campaign low level, so hanging out at Level 0 for a session seems fun and interesting, especially thinking of the cannon fodder that a level 0 character is.

Badgerish
2011-12-07, 10:43 AM
The adventure that is part of these rules is flavourful, interesting, dynamic and looks like it could really be cool!

I'm still don't think that you should be doing dimensional travel at lvl 0/1 though...

The level 0 rules... not too fond of them, especially in how there are class options that have little/nothing to do with the lvl 0 options. I don't get the 'choose power-source' before play, but 'choose role' during play thing. (If I wanted to run this adventure without choosing most/all of the elements of my character I would probably use something much more rules-lite, just for this adventure, like one-pass FATE3 with the complexity turned down)

If I kept the given rules, one thing I would do is use highest-stat to attack, half highest-stat to damage. So as per "melee training" but for all attacks.

edit: above comments are made without access to books, has been a while since I read these rules...