PDA

View Full Version : (M&M3e/DCA) Transformers

BudgetDM
2011-12-07, 10:41 AM
Just an FYI, this thread is likely going to have some spoilers for various Transformers series. I can imagine this will matter in the slightest, but still heads up.

I have suddenly been gripped by a desire to run a Transformers game. Now of all the games I own, I think that M&M3e/DCA would be the best to run it, but I'm not the worlds biggest expert in it, and while I have watched a great many episodes of various cartoons, I wouldn't object to input and advice from those well versed in TF lore. So, please point out any mistakes.

First off, I wasn't planning on setting it in any of the established continuities, so I can baldfaced steal incorporate elements from all over. My idea was that at least some of the characters were Autobots sent to investigate readings that indicated a large number of Decepticons on the extreme fringe of Cybertronian space on the planet Sol 3. However, once they were in Earth orbit, an unknown force attacked them and forced them to make an emergency landing on Earth. Once on Earth they discovered that, while there are quite a few transformers running around and most of them came from Decepticons protoforms, most know nothing about Autobots, Decepticons, Cybertron, or anything more than the human populous. The PCs job is to uncover the mystery of where all of the Earth based transformer came from, who shot them down, and how to contact Cybertron.

I've also come up with a basic template to begin with:
Cybertronian: (21)
Large: Growth 4, Permanent, Innate - 9 points
Transform: Morph 1, Metamorph, Increased Action (-2) - 4 points
Commlink: Communicate (Radio) 2 - 8 points
Construct - 0 points

Now, I was going to give players the option of playing one of the Earth based transformers, and in also give them the option playing a technorganic character.

Beast Machine: (12) (Note: I'm open to a better name)
Transform: Morph 1, Metamorph, Increased Action (-2) - 4 points
Commlink: Communicate 2 - 8 points
These are the result of a protoform scanning an animal when trying to gain an alternate mode, something that wasn't supposed to be possible.

Transhuman[1]: (7) (Note: Again still open to better name)
Commlink: Communicate 1 - 4 points
Cyber Form: Immunity 2 (Suffocation Effects), Protection 2, Activation (-1) - 3 point
Protoforms that scanned humans when trying to gain an alternate mode reacted strangely. Possibly because human body structure is so similar (strangely so) to most Cybertronians' robot mode, they only have the most rudimentary transformational ability. They do have the advantage, however, of appearing identical to the planets dominate species.

Other rules I was planning to implement were:
Forbidden:
Communication 5
Space Travel 2 or higher
Time Travel
Anything Dimensional

And Giving the PCs 15 free equipment points in a group pool.

Now, for some questions:

I'm a little confused about how the Morph with Metamorph works. The explanation in the book is a little awkward (to me at least). Each different form draws from the same point total correct?

I would like Autobots and Deciticons to be different, does anyone have any idea of what to give either of them?

Finally, does this whole thing sound fun at all?

[1]I know that Sari Sumdac is a bit of a one of a kind in Transformers, but I thought she was cool.

Tengu_temp
2011-12-07, 06:15 PM
Does this idea sound like fun? Hell yeah it does. One of my DMs even wanted to run a Transformers M&M game at one point, even, but he changed his plans.

Do Transformers even count as constructs? They are mechanical, sure, but they seem to tire and require rest the same way humans do. Not to mention, in 2e at least constructs can't use Extra Effort, and how else to simulate burning justice (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Burning_justice)?

I'm a little confused about how the Morph with Metamorph works. The explanation in the book is a little awkward (to me at least). Each different form draws from the same point total correct?

That's correct. It's pretty much like a different (but similar, usually) character built on the same number of points, which you can transform into as an action.

BudgetDM
2011-12-08, 02:44 AM
Do Transformers even count as constructs? They are mechanical, sure, but they seem to tire and require rest the same way humans do. Not to mention, in 2e at least constructs can't use Extra Effort, and how else to simulate burning justice (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Burning_justice)?

I had honestly forgotten about Extra Effort. I think that I'll replace Construct with Immunity 10 (Life Support), Innate.