PDA

View Full Version : Tonsil Help

Mindfreak
2011-12-07, 01:31 PM
Hello everyone, I just got backfrom getting my tonsils and adenoids removed along with my tubulars begin cauterized so they become smaller.

Now, I am requesting help from people who've had thee body parts worked on, questions are below:

Tonsilectomy Questions
1. how long does the pain typically last for?
2. What food can I eat?
3. What drinks should I stay away from?
4. Right now I can't talk as loud, will that go away?

Adenoid Removal Questions
1. is them being gone why I'm bleeding through my nose?
2. Anything I should expect now that these are gone?

Tubular Cauterization Questions
1. Am I bleeding from the nose because of this?
2. How long should I expect the bleeding to go for?
3. Am I going to gain super smell now?

Anesthieasia
How long will I be loopy and tired for?

Yes, I know I should have asked these of a doctor, but only some of you can answer because you've gone through this.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-12-07, 01:53 PM
Hello everyone, I just got backfrom getting my tonsils and adenoids removed along with my tubulars begin cauterized so they become smaller.

Now, I am requesting help from people who've had thee body parts worked on, questions are below:

1. is them being gone why I'm bleeding through my nose?
2. Anything I should expect now that these are gone?

Anesthieasia
How long will I be loopy and tired for?

Yes, I know I should have asked these of a doctor, but only some of you can answer because you've gone through this.

I had my adenoids removed when I was 3, so I don't remember much, but they're right behind the nose so nosebleeds are probably normal. If they don't stop soon you should call the doctor though.

I assume you had them removed because you had chronic ear and sinus infections? That's why I had them removed. Those will pretty much stop now that they're gone. Other than that, I haven't ever noticed anything odd.

The anesthesia should wear off in a couple of hours.

EDIT: Also, same as with tonsillectomies, you should be pretty much completely recovered in a couple of days. Ice cream and cold foods are the best; do not eat anything spicy.

Starwulf
2011-12-07, 03:48 PM

Tonsilectomy Questions
1. how long does the pain typically last for? A few days to a week. I was eating Hot Dogs that very night, and Steamers the next, but I was a stubborn kid(had them taken out at 11 or 12)
2. What food can I eat? Typically you should stick to Liquid-y foods, jello, Popsicles, stuff like that. NOT Ice Cream as used to be popularly believed as a good food. Beyond that, whatever you feel comfortable with, but stay away from anything hard or sour.
3. What drinks should I stay away from? Anything spicy or sour, and probably steaming hot drinks.
4. Right now I can't talk as loud, will that go away? Within a few days ^^

1. is them being gone why I'm bleeding through my nose? A fairly good possibility. I puked blood a few hours after my surgery, and was warned I'd likely spit or cough blood for a day or so afterwards, so it's fairly likely the blood would come up through your nostrils.
2. Anything I should expect now that these are gone? Not that I know of?

Tubular Cauterization Questions
1. Am I bleeding from the nose because of this?
2. How long should I expect the bleeding to go for?
3. Am I going to gain super smell now?

Anesthieasia
How long will I be loopy and tired for? Uhh, about 6 hours or so afterwards you'll be tired and loopy, after that your body should have kicked off the effects of the Anesthesia

I have no idea about the Tubular Cauterization, I have no idea if I had that done as well or not when I was younger, but the rest I remember pretty clearly. I was a remarkably fast healer though, I was singing the Theme song to Gilligans Island an hour after the surgery, so take my recovery times above with a grain of salt if you're body heals slower.

Savannah
2011-12-07, 06:02 PM
Most of those, especially the ones about bleeding from the nose, are things you need to be asking your doctor, not a random group of internet strangers. Unless they (the Dr. or nurses) told you it is an expected side effect, contact your doctor about the bleeding from the nose right away.

Lady Moreta
2011-12-08, 02:10 AM
Most of those, especially the ones about bleeding from the nose, are things you need to be asking your doctor, not a random group of internet strangers. Unless they (the Dr. or nurses) told you it is an expected side effect, contact your doctor about the bleeding from the nose right away.

Yes that. The rest varies depending on the person.

I too had my tonsils out when I was 10 and it took me about 2 weeks for the sore throat to fully go away, I talked softer because of it for the entire time.

Anathestic, I'm honestly not sure, but I had an allergic reaction to mine so probably not best to take me as an example :smalltongue: Last time I had a general (a couple of years ago) it took me about a day to get over it... a friend of mine took a week, it will vary, it depends on how long your body takes to process it.

Food and drink, things that are easy to swallow, liquidy, soft foods (my mother used to get chicken breast and put it through the mincer to make it easier to swallow)... probably want to avoid things that are hard and dry like toast, that will hurt.

But as Savannah said, if the doctor didn't tell you the bleeding was a side-effect then you need to get in touch with them asap.

Zeb The Troll
2011-12-08, 03:55 AM
Troll Patrol: Sorry, this is the kind of thing we'd rather not have people discussing lest incorrect, and potentially harmful, information be disseminated.