PDA

View Full Version : Nar Demonbinder questions

Little Brother
2011-12-07, 05:05 PM
I've been rereading these guys for my handbook, and damn, they are cool. Couple of questions, though.

One: They can cast Blasphemy as Dictum/Word of Chaos/Holy Word, but does that mean they are deafened by their own spell if they cast one that they aren't?

Two: With their wonky casting table, how would a bloodline interact with that?

Five: If I was, say, a Cleric 7/Nar Demonbinder 1/Mystic Theurge 3, Would my Nar Demonbinder caster level be 11 or 14?

herrhauptmann
2011-12-07, 05:48 PM
Nar demonbinder is an arcane casting prc with its own casting table right? Does it have a line that says something like: "Levels in divine casting classes add half their CL to the Nar CL." Similar to Urpriest, which lets you add some of your wizard/sorc levels to your Urpriest CL, even though you don't get access to spells sooner.
If not:
As a Cleric X/Nar 1/MT 3, you'd have a Nar CL of 4, and a Cleric CL of X+3

Venger
2011-12-07, 09:02 PM
I've been rereading these guys for my handbook, and damn, they are cool. Couple of questions, though.

One: They can cast Blasphemy as Dictum/Word of Chaos/Holy Word, but does that mean they are deafened by their own spell if they cast one that they aren't?

Two: With their wonky casting table, how would a bloodline interact with that?

Five: If I was, say, a Cleric 7/Nar Demonbinder 1/Mystic Theurge 3, Would my Nar Demonbinder caster level be 11 or 14?

nar demonbidner is available on the wizards' site here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030502a&page=2

with only 1 typo from UE (only spell focus conj is needed for the class, not greater spell focus)

nar demonbinder allows you to pick 1 class to "add" your nar demonbinder levels to for the purposes of the CL of your ND spells, so at lvl 8, your ND spells would be 8. to answer your question, your ND CL would be 11, as would your cleric CL.

very slick using nar demonbinder in a theurgic build, btw I haven't sen that done before

hex0
2011-12-08, 01:21 PM
very slick using nar demonbinder in a theurgic build, btw I haven't sen that done before

Slicker? Throw Trickster Spellthief with Master Spellthief into the mix before entering Nar Demonbinder

Trickster Spellthief 2/Wizard 3/Ultimate Magus 5/Nar Demonbinder 1/Ultimate Magus 5...or something like that...

Venger
2011-12-08, 01:49 PM
Slicker? Throw Trickster Spellthief with Master Spellthief into the mix before entering Nar Demonbinder

Trickster Spellthief 2/Wizard 3/Ultimate Magus 5/Nar Demonbinder 1/Ultimate Magus 5...or something like that...

What's trickster spellthief?

Lateral
2011-12-08, 04:17 PM
nar demonbidner is available on the wizards' site here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030502a&page=2

with only 1 typo from UE (only spell focus conj is needed for the class, not greater spell focus)

The online version is missing the 7th level, though.

hex0
2011-12-08, 04:21 PM
What's trickster spellthief?

Variant from Dragon #353 that is very awesome. It trades traps, 2 skills a level, all but 1 of your SA dice, and a few skills in for: Same spells per day/known/caster level as a bard and can choose any Bard spell or any Wizard/Sorc. spell except conjuration, necromancy, and evocation.

Venger
2011-12-08, 06:57 PM
The online version is missing the 7th level, though.

nope, if you'll examine it more closely, you'll see they only omitted the 7th level from the chart. they still give the 7th level on the spell progression and tell you about its cool-ass baleful energy capstone, so the online version's accurate (except as I mentioned earlier, GSF:conj isn't needed, just SF:conj)

Lateral
2011-12-08, 08:37 PM
nope, if you'll examine it more closely, you'll see they only omitted the 7th level from the chart. they still give the 7th level on the spell progression and tell you about its cool-ass baleful energy capstone, so the online version's accurate (except as I mentioned earlier, GSF:conj isn't needed, just SF:conj)

...Exactly. They left it off the chart. That's still a problem. :smallconfused:

gbprime
2011-12-08, 10:06 PM
nar demonbinder allows you to pick 1 class to "add" your nar demonbinder levels to for the purposes of the CL of your ND spells, so at lvl 8, your ND spells would be 8. to answer your question, your ND CL would be 11, as would your cleric CL.

Not quite. Do the math.

Cleric 7 - Nar 1 - MT 3

That results in a Cleric caster level of 10, and a Nar caster level of 4 plus 10. So your Nar caster level is actually 14. :smallamused:

Look closer, then. It's a powerful double-caster chassis.

With their wonky casting table, how would a bloodline interact with that?
They cast as per sorcerer, so if you purchase a bloodline feat for Nar Demonbinder, they would indeed add 1 spell known at each of 4th through 8th. You'd never get the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 9th spells though, since Nar never has spells of those levels.

They can cast Blasphemy as Dictum/Word of Chaos/Holy Word, but does that mean they are deafened by their own spell if they cast one that they aren't?
Not only will it affect you when you cast it, but you will likely daze, weaken, and even paralyze yourself since your caster level often advances faster than your hit dice! You can get around this by taking the feat Extraordinary Spell Aim and a few other methods.

dboxcar
2016-07-26, 03:58 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the Nar Demonbinder text is as follows:

The character’s caster level is equal to his Nar Demonbinder level plus his levels in one other spellcasting class of his choice.
This specifically says "levels in one other spellcasting class," not "caster level in one other spellcasting class," so caster level shenanigans just don't work.