PDA

View Full Version : Bard/Druid mix

gibbo88
2011-12-07, 06:52 PM
One of my players in a new campaign wants to make a druid/bard hybrid. It was pitched to me as such:

"A Druid cross divine bard. So nature magic but still would be around a village to aid in crop growth and the encouragement of keeping wild predators away.

He would be the apprentice wind singer as they are called and are crosses between the wise man, entertainment and help to survive.

For my character am I able to have Druid casting yet bardic music.

Was thinking something like no bardic knowledge, animal companion, wild shape. I have bard skills plus survival, bard hp and either Druid or bard saves."

I was thinking of allowing it, since the more power-worthy abilities are gone, and I like the concept. Playgrounds thoughts?

Elric VIII
2011-12-07, 07:01 PM
If you are interested, there is a build that I have worked on that does exactly that.

Human Bard 1/Druid 4/ Green Whisperer 5/Arcane Heirophant 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9.

You use Able Learner with Human to get all of your skills to line up. My build uses Chaos Music and Shape Soulmeld/Open Lesser Chakra to fit together.

You end up having:

Bard 16 casting (not too powerful next to the Druid)
Druid 19 casting
Bard 19 Music
Bard 15 Bardic Knowledge
No wildshape.
An Animal Companion of a Druid 4 with the abilities of a Familiar 16*.

Green Whisperer and Chaos Music are from Dragon Magazine. GW is a Bard/Druid hybrid class and CM is like practiced spellcaster for Bardic Music.

*I did this because I wanted to be a non-combat character, but removing Arcane Haierophant and adding in Fochlucan Lyrist 10 gets you +16 BAB at the end, if you want to melee a bit.

That being said, the proposed changes are pretty good. Although, I might consider allowing him Bardic Knowledge with relation to nature/natural history and maybe the Urban Companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), but refluffed as a less powerful AC, rather than an urban one.

gibbo88
2011-12-07, 10:41 PM
So something like the rangers stunted companion growth?

Elric VIII
2011-12-07, 10:56 PM
So something like the rangers stunted companion growth?

Well, the thing is, even in mid-low op the Ranger AC is a bloodsmear waiting to happen. I personally like the Urban Companion because it makes it less of a Fighter and more of a tool to be used in an interesting manner. I think the best idea is to alter the AC so that it is more suited to a bard-type character (i.e. - not a combat monster).

Even without it, however, the class should be just fine. Druid stripped of Wildshape and AC is still Tier 1. Coincidentally, Bard is T3 and so is Wildshape Ranger, so that's something to think on.

EDIT: Actually, before I advise you any further, what power level are you shooting for? Are you trying to keep it at Sruid or Bard power levels?

Palanan
2011-12-08, 12:07 AM
I love this concept, since I'm partial to druids. I would encourage you to allow it and see where your player can take it.

Elric VIII, on your build, does Green Whisperer swap out wildshape for something else? Otherwise I would've thought the one level of Arcane Hierophant would access it. (I've heard of Green Whisperer, not sure what issue it's from.)

Looks like a very cool build, and must be fun to play.

*scribbles note to self*

:smallsmile:

onemorelurker
2011-12-08, 12:51 AM
Green Whisperer, which is from Dragon 311, doesn't stack with or grant wild shape at all. It advances bard spellcasting, druid spellcasting, bardic music, and bardic knowledge, while only granting a couple new features. It's a fine theurge class for what the OP is looking for, but it's really more bardy than druidy.

Fax Celestis
2011-12-08, 01:37 AM
You could try the savage bard variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) from Unearthed Arcana.

gibbo88
2011-12-08, 01:47 AM
Thanks all, I will let you know how the build goes if this thread doesn't become too old first.

Darrin
2011-12-08, 06:17 AM
Do note that Fochlucan Lyrist is one of the most bizarrely difficult PrCs to qualify for (mostly due to the Evasion requirement). I assume Elric VIII's build uses Shape Soulmeld: Impulse Boots and Open Least Chakra to qualify.

There's another build that gets dual 9th-level casting:

Druid 3/Bard 2/Green Whisperer 2/Arcane Hierophant 3/Sublime Chord 1/Arcane Hierophant +7/Green Whisperer +2

Using the same soulmeld trick to get evasion, you can also do:

Druid 3/Bard 2/Green Whisperer 2/Arcane Hierophant 3/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9