View Full Version : A good bond with your DM [Epic Spellcasting]

Calanon
2011-12-07, 06:53 PM
I realized that my DM is... well he trust me enough to play whatever I want and not shatter his game into a million pieces; Its gone to the point where he trust me enough to take Epic Spellcasting and NOT exploit it... :smallredface:

Can anyone think of some Epic Spells that don't really do to serious damage but can still do some seriously interesting effects? Personally I like Tolodine's Killing wind, not to destructive but it really hits the point of a fair Epic spell (Of course this is my opinion).

Snowbluff
2011-12-07, 08:33 PM
Mass Energy Drain. Easily a terrible 9th made into a reasonably weak epic spell. Buff up the lost levels and add extra targets :P

Urpriest
2011-12-07, 08:56 PM
One of the Epic Spells (official or homebrewed, don't remember which) protects against Disjunction. It's a nice straightforward buff to have access to for a high level campaign.

Alleran
2011-12-07, 09:11 PM
One of the Epic Spells (official or homebrewed, don't remember which) protects against Disjunction. It's a nice straightforward buff to have access to for a high level campaign.
That might be Epic Spell Reflection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/epicSpellReflection.htm), which permanently bounces back all 1st through 9th spells onto the caster. Of course, it would probably block beneficial spell effects as well, unless you can raise and lower the reflection as a standard action or something to that effect.

Anyway, I like to use Epic Spellcasting just for those week-long buffs, so you don't need to refresh your buffing list every day. You know, a +whatever AC, +X enhancement bonus to Y stat, +whatever to your saving throws. That sort of thing.

Qwertystop
2011-12-07, 09:12 PM

No. Don't use it.

That's like giving your DM permission to use Disjunction.

Unless it's an Instantaneous effect, don't go for it.

Hirax
2011-12-07, 09:22 PM
Epic enemies could just as easily have an epic version of disjunction. Ultimately epic disjunction versus epic antidisjunction (or whatever its actual name might be) should probably just result in opposed CL checks.

Urpriest
2011-12-07, 09:33 PM
Epic enemies could just as easily have an epic version of disjunction. Ultimately epic disjunction versus epic antidisjunction (or whatever its actual name might be) should probably just result in opposed CL checks.

The antidisjunction is a buff, though. So you can give it a long casting time, and thus more mitigating factors. So it's easier to defend from an epic disjunction than to disjoin it.

Hirax
2011-12-07, 09:39 PM
That fits the trend of dispeling favoring the defender at equal levels. Possible, but difficult.

Jack of Trades
2012-01-03, 06:47 PM
I would just use a Spellblade weapon (6K gp) from LEoF with disjunction being the immune spell. Always carry it in you off-hand.

The below epic spell doesn’t cause damage, but I would create an armor spell based on the armor seed similar to the Epic Mage Armor spell in ELH.

My Epic Armor Spell
Conjuration (Creation) [Force]
Spellcraft DC: 48
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 11 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 48 Hours (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
To Develop: 432,000 gp; 9 days; 17,280 XP. Seed: armor (DC 14). Factor: Double duration (+2 DC),
+33 additional armor bonus (+66 DC). Mitigating Factors: Increase casting time by 10 minutes (-20 DC).

Provides +37 armor bonus or +37 natural armor bonus. Type of bonus is determined at time of casting.
Other than the bonus value all other benefits for Mage Armor are applicable.

Material component: None
XP cost: None

Since the armor seed specifically states that it can enhance either the armor bonus OR natural armor bonus, determining the type of bonus at casting time is reasonable.

Combined this would give two people, over a course of two days, an armor class enhancement of +74.
Who said armor isn’t an effective way of not getting hit? Let’s see those epic creatures hit you now!
Just beware dispelling effects.

I would also suggest something that would be the equivalent of a chained greater weapon enhancement, but I can’t see a seed that directly allows it. Perhaps the transform seed with Ad Hoc factors.

Cruiser1
2012-01-03, 07:41 PM
I would just use a Spellblade weapon (6K gp) from LEoF with disjunction being the immune spell.Note the Spellblade weapon enhancement (only +6000 gp) is actually from the book PGtF page 120. A spellblade can only protect against a spell specifically targetted at you, and can't protect against area spells such as Disjunction.