PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to derail the campaign in this scenario?

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-07, 08:54 PM
So my DM started the campaign with a couple fetch quests for a dwarf that the party voluntarily did for money. It turns out the dwarf hiring us was involved in some illicit deals, and we were all thrown in jail because of our current relationship with him.

We were told by one of the friendlier guards that we'd basically have what would amount to a kangaroo court trial, because the city's justice system is corrupt. Thankfully the DM activated his plot device, and the rebel force broke us out and thrust us into a life of indentured servitude.

So now we are doing fetch quests for the rebel force, bringing them their macguffins.

Now ingame these people are not trustworthy. They won't tell us why they need them, and the DM has outright stated that they didn't come off as trustworthy.

Out of game I'm pretty sure this is one of those things where the heroes are unknowingly working for the BBEGs, and bringing them the various macguffins needed to rule the world.

Our first mission involved getting some mind control wand, and I (ingame) decided that we couldn't trust them with something so powerful, and that we should not return it to them. The cleric said we couldn't trust them either, but he gave them his word (Lawful Stupid!) so he had to. Grapple checks ensued, and the cleric snapped the wand in half out of frustration. We then returned the broken wand to the rebel force, and they implied that they could easily fix it.

So now we are on another fetch quest, and this time I want to make sure I get rid of one of the macguffins (some gem that opens portals) doesn't get into their hands. I plan on having my character grab hold of it, and throw it into the ocean/off a cliff/whatever.

Well, I'm a bit conflicted. One one hand, I'm knowingly derailing the DM's campaign (unless he is using reverse psychology and expects us to screw the rebel force over). On the other hand, my character is smart enough to not give them the macguffins.

So what say you? Would derailing the campaign be justified in this scenario, or should I just have my character suck it up and begrudgingly hand them these plot trinkets?

Keegan__D
2011-12-07, 08:59 PM
Ask your DM. It's his plot, and he has the answers. Only he can tell you if he can adjust to such an action.

OracleofSilence
2011-12-07, 09:00 PM
personally, i would say that this really depends. While i would argue that staying IC is generally good, and if you are genuinely certain that continuing to follow these guys is not IC, then i say go for it. Just give some warning to other party members, and maybe get a few on your side first.

Basically, have a plan, and a good one too, before you charge off to do this. Don't assume that the DM is using reverse psychology, and if he is not, be prepared for the inevitable counter attack. Either that, or just discuss with him out of game your misgivings, and ask how rail-roady he plans to make this. If he gives the go ahead, just do it. If he gives a cryptic answer... well i would say talk to your party but lean towards doing it anyway. If he says no, just make the plan and hold onto it. It seems almost certain you will need it.

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-12-07, 09:00 PM
If the DM's said (or hinted) that a group of NPCs isn't trustworthy, I don't think he has any grounds to fault the players for not trusting them. I would probably try to sabotage them (though I might not do it until a little further down the line) and it sounds like your DM probably expects you to do likewise.

EDIT: As others have said, definitely talk to the other players first. The worst arguments I've seen in D&D have stemmed from one player wanting to do something to swerve the plot that went against everyone else's plans.

Namfuak
2011-12-07, 09:01 PM
If you are just planning on walking away from the whole thing, it may be worth your while to warn your DM that you are going to do that so that he can create a new path accordingly. If you are planning on going back and attacking the rebels, or don't mind having a day full of traveling and random encounters, then feel free to spring a surprise on your DM.

I'd say you're perfectly justified in leaving the whole thing behind, but it might be worth your while to play along, since if I was your DM I would have planned it to go in some way where the BBEG in the rebel army and the town are both wiped out (since you said the town was corrupt too).

Either way, both could be justified. Your character is justified in wanting to try to thwart whatever BBEG is leading the rebels and playing along to do so, and the cleric would be justified in breaking his oath to the rebels because he gave it under duress.

Freelancer Jack
2011-12-07, 09:04 PM
If I were in your shoes I would not only derail this whole thing, I would line the train with TNT and light it on fire Before throwing it off the rails.

Chylde
2011-12-07, 09:04 PM
Play your Character.

If the DM isn't prepared for your character (Who doesn't trust his employers already) to betray the rebels and sabotage the mission, the storyline was too rigid in the first place.

He's probably expecting a little resistance, and it sounds like it'd be no more entertaining than playing "fetch" if you just sucked it up and played along, going against when you feel your character would be compelled to do in a situation.

Shyftir
2011-12-07, 09:11 PM
If you think that your character would smell a rat, have him smell a rat and react accordingly. Make sure you discuss the situation IC in front of your DM, this way it comes across as his players coming to a decision about the plot not about one guy purposely derailing things.

Con_Brio1993
2011-12-07, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll ask my DM and the other players about it.