PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a Pathfinder samurai, please

Green Eyed Liar
2011-12-08, 12:11 AM
I am looking to start a game in the near future as a player. Historically, I am a decent roleplayer, but a horrible optimizer. As a result, I often help entertain the party through my antics, but I rarely contribute tactically as my moving parts don't gel because I suck at selecting Feats.

I have two concepts:
A) Assuming someone else in the party is a tank, I am thinking of a halfling mounted archer.
B) If we are in need of a tank, I am thinking of a half-orc katana master.

Character build will be 20 points. Core, APG, UM, and UC only. I would really appreciate any advice for the first ten or so levels. We will be doing an Adventure Path. Story is still important, hence my races selected, but I am not a person who feels optimization and story are mutually exclusive (I just suck at the one).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

legomaster00156
2011-12-08, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna assume a tank, since that's what I'm better at optimizing. I'm not the strongest optimizer, either, but here's an idea.

Stats: 16 STR, 10 DEX, 16 CON, 10 INT, 12 WIS, 8 CHA (Place your +2 racial in STR or CON, depending on whether you want to primarily deal blows or take them. Place your progressive +2 from the first 8 levels into the other one, unless you're just certain you wish to pump a single stat.)
Order: Take the Order of the Shield. Trust me.
Mount: A Snapping Turtle is just as fast as you (assuming you wear heavy armor), except that it's run speed is still 4x it's walking speed. In addition, it's natural armor will allow it to sort of almost keep up with your defenses.
Weapons of choice: Take a katana and a shield. Another AC item to which you can apply an enhancement bonus should not be underestimated. Naturally, you should wear heavy armor (Full Plate is about as good as it gets). Try to get Bracers of Armor and an Amulet of Natural Armor. If you can get a custom item that gives you a permanent Blur or Displacement, that would be absolutely awesome.
Feats (in no particular order): Toughness, Endurance, Combat Reflexes, Shield Focus, Improved Critical: katana (if you cannot find a Keen Katana, that is), Combat Expertise (difficult, considering the prerequisite of INT 13), Improved Trip

Khantin
2011-12-08, 07:17 AM
There's eastern themed weapons and armor in the ultimate combat book.

about halfway down this page you'll find the eastern weapons/armor
weapons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons)
armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor)

stack
2011-12-08, 09:34 AM
Note: Cavalier and Samurai can only select horses/camels (if medium) or riding dogs/ponies if small. Anything else requires DM permission, unless you switch to cavalier with the beastrider archetype, so no turtle as suggested above.

The halfling will not have to leave his mount behind indoors, which is a plus.