PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm gonna play Shadowrun

Shadow Lord
2011-12-08, 07:22 AM
What things should I purchase first? Any advice for a newb? Any guides or similar that I can read?

I need answers, people, answers!

king.com
2011-12-08, 08:40 AM
Pick skills that fit what you want to do.
Try and get either a magic or cyberware method of increasing your Intiative Passes.
Try to go either magic OR tech for the most part, atleast in your first time.
Everything else is relative to the game.

Totally Guy
2011-12-08, 11:40 AM
I played a campaign of 3rd edition earlier this year.

I didn't enjoy it so much as I kept getting killed until I was playing in such a conservative way that I found it frustrating.

Aemoh87
2011-12-08, 01:27 PM
I played a campaign of 3rd edition earlier this year.

I didn't enjoy it so much as I kept getting killed until I was playing in such a conservative way that I found it frustrating.

I hear you. Shadowrun has a very different tone than DND. So be ready for that, and that tone includes it being fatal! Just like NWOD and other games if you come from 3.5 you will be shocked at how weak you can be. I have even heard the same thing said about pathfinder.

Overall I have some friends who love shadowrun and I will play with them, I think the biggest strength of the game is the amazing setting you can develope. I recomend watching Blade Runner or playing Deus Ex to get in the mood. Also decide if you want your game to be cinematic or gritty realism.

comicshorse
2011-12-08, 02:16 PM
What things should I purchase first? Any advice for a newb? Any guides or similar that I can read?

Get a good Fake I.D.
Everything else depends on your role in the group but EVERYBODY needs a fake I.D.

LibraryOgre
2011-12-08, 02:44 PM

I'm going to start with the assumption that you are completely green.

Assuming y'all're using 4th edition, get the 20th anniversary book (http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-20th-Anniversary-Catalyst-Game/dp/1934857319). It's good, fairly complete, and you can satisfactorily play most character types using it. From there, buy books associated with what you're interested in... Street Magic for spellcasters and adepts, Unwired for hackers and riggers, Augmentation for samurai, Arsenal for anyone who wants to sink a lot of money into a couple extra dice for weapons tests, etc.

For the most part, the archetypes in the main book are useful as baselines of what you should look at... but they're not the most optimized characters in the world. I tend to use them heavily for "suggested equipment" lists... things you should buy for your character that you might not think of until you're hip-deep in the sewers and realize you don't have a flashlight.

Kaun
2011-12-08, 04:41 PM
things you should buy for your character that you might not think of until you're hip-deep in the sewers and realize you don't have a flashlight.

IMHO you haven't truly popped your shadowrun cherry until you have found yourself in a situation like the above.

Walking around with a couple mil in cyberware, illegal software and firearms only to realize that the mission is going to go pear shaped because nobody thought to grab one of those two cred flash lights from the gas station.

Its when all the brilliant ideas about firing off rounds from silenced weapons and using the muzzle flash to navigate by start to appear.

DodgerH2O
2011-12-08, 06:38 PM
Listen to these people above me. Also find out what your GM expects from the game. Shadowrun, 4e especially, is a completely different game depending on who you play it with.

IMHO you haven't truly popped your shadowrun cherry until you have found yourself in a situation like the above.

Walking around with a couple mil in cyberware, illegal software and firearms only to realize that the mission is going to go pear shaped because nobody thought to grab one of those two cred flash lights from the gas station.

Its when all the brilliant ideas about firing of rounds from silenced weapons and using the muzzle flash to navigate by start to appear.

Exactly. Or the less brilliant (but still successful) ones like having that Troll melee monster throw his weapon since he forgot to buy a gun and the group is pinned down by a machinegun turret. Shadowrun is IMHO as much about the horrible botched runs as about the slick, textbook-perfect extractions.

comicshorse
2011-12-08, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hall;12344748
of until you're hip-deep in the sewers and realize you don't have a flashlight.[/QUOTE]

Preferably with a few Devil-Rats or a Afranc mixed in there :smallsmile:

Dimers
2011-12-08, 08:02 PM
Listen to these people above me. Also find out what your GM expects from the game. Shadowrun, 4e especially, is a completely different game depending on who you play it with.

In particular, OP, your group will be somewhere on the spectrum between "pink mohawks" and "mirrorshades". The former do crazy stunts and don't think twice about public reaction, trusting in firepower, luck and dramatic awesomeness to succeed. The latter plan everything to the Nth degree and try never to be seen, or at least not to be noticed. You don't necessarily have to fit in with your group, but you should at least be aware of it.

Shadow Lord
2011-12-08, 08:18 PM
Unwired appears to be out of stock at Amazon and on backorder at Paizo. Anyone know the reason?

I'm thinking of a tech character right now, by the way.

Diskhotep
2011-12-08, 09:19 PM
Play a Troll Rigger-Mage, of course.

(don't do this)

Seriously, though, find out what style your group intends to go with and what kind of team they want to play. You'll have a lot more fun if going in you know if your buddies are planning on playing mercenaries, contract killers, or commit Ocean's Eleven-style heists. Each one calls for a different team makeup and a different type of play, and it can get annoying if someone brings a 'gun-em-down' Ork merc to every stealth data run.

LibraryOgre
2011-12-08, 11:26 PM
Its when all the brilliant ideas about firing off rounds from silenced weapons and using the muzzle flash to navigate by start to appear.

Oh my. That's fabulous.

meschlum
2011-12-09, 12:57 AM
Random recommendations from someone who has done very little 4e but a fair amount of 3e:

- DO NOT meddle with the Matrix.

If no one else is a Matrix user, you're forcing the GM to run you or the rest of the party.
Shadowrun has never managed to make sane rules for internet use. Never.
A glorious career of "I unlock the doors and loop the cameras" is what you're signing up for.
Google is a function that requires Godly Mastery of the Matrix (tm) to employ. That, or your computer skills are largely useless outside of "I unlock the door and loop the cameras", depending on the GM.
YMMV, of course.

- If you're tech based, there are basically two broad ways to go. Both are fun.

- Cyber Samurai. Don't get too attached to the cyber term, and consider investing in bio modifications too - the pricing and options can be competitive. You are basically a killing machine, with a few requirements and options:

Thou shalt have as many Initiative Passes as possible. Or more.
Shooting people first is good.
If you must go hand to hand, figure out a way to not be shot. Stealth works.
Gadgets are fun. Monofilament is often more of a gadget than a weapon, but it can be useful (and may save you investment in Strength for close up damage). In 3e (at least) Shock weapons are excellent backups (they hurt spirits and armored machines).
Shoot first. Shoot lots. Maybe invest in silencers.

- Rigger! Requires surprisingly little cyber (besides the most expensive rigging augs you can afford) and can be a lot of fun.

Check with your GM what network security is like.

- If it's easy, yay! you can send out lots of drones to do your work and not risk your skin.
- If it's hard, yay! you can take over neutral (or enemy) drones and save money that way.
Go through the lists of drones. Some of them are insanely good for their price.
Spider drones. Good times.
You also know how to open doors manually, if you want to get close to the action (hint: you don't).
Consider toolbox options - opening doors, infiltrating places, checking dangerous packages... are all possible by drones that a) are not you and b) are far away from you.
Have a good Mechanic contact.
Photovoltaic paint is fun.

Dimers
2011-12-09, 01:40 AM
DO NOT meddle with the Matrix.

Gods be praised, that entire list of points has been negated in 4e. Everything has a wireless computer controlling it, so your impact is limited mostly by your imagination. While hacking a system in a datasteal is still pretty solo, other characters can join in and even help with some stuff once you're in. Combat time and Matrix time overlap, so your data packets are flying at the same rate as your street-sammie buddy's bullets. And you're not tied to a terminal with a wire anymore. A 4e hacker can be so much more than a named plot device!

I do mean that part about "limited by your imagination". If you're the guy who thinks of all the cool stuff in your other games, you'll thrive as a hacker. If you're more of a watcher, or you want to learn the basics before diving in, then it's not the best choice for a newbie.

One other point about hacking in 4e: it's almost all about the money. Most of how well you can mess around inside a computer system is based on the processor and software you've bought, rather than on your own skills.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-09, 01:44 AM
Dammit, Dimers, you beat me to it! :smalltongue:

DO NOT meddle with the Matrix.For a newbie, yeah, 3e or 4e, this is a good idea. :smallsigh:

Shadowrun has never managed to make sane rules for internet use. Never.These days I prefer to bold things instead of italicize them, since the italics don't show up when I quote people. :smalleek:

A glorious career of "I unlock the doors and loop the cameras" is what you're signing up for.Once again, I'd say it's largely-dependant on how clever you are and how creative your GM is. So, yeah, you might be right in those regards. :smallannoyed: And again, 4e expands your options greatly.

Google is a function that requires Godly Mastery of the Matrix (tm) to employ. That, or your computer skills are largely useless outside of "I unlock the door and loop the cameras", depending on the GM.Actually you can just buy a fetch module. :smalltongue:

YMMV, of course.Of course. I had a very fun career as a hacker when our group went through the Denver Missions. But that was 4e. :smalltongue:

Thou shalt have as many Initiative Passes as possible. Or more.This is true regardless of what you're playing - even a face would do well to have at least two. :smallamused:

Shooting people first is good.And again, something that's always true. :smalltongue:

Rigger! Requires surprisingly little cyber (besides the most expensive rigging augs you can afford) and can be a lot of fun.Though it's nice to have, since it can let you get as high as five Initiative Passes. Five Matrix IPs when you're jumped into a Doberman drone equipped with an LMG can be pretty horrifying. :smalleek:

LibraryOgre
2011-12-09, 10:42 AM
One of my favorites as a hacker against smartlinked weapons is to have them eject the magazine. Sure, it's a short-term thing, but it lets the troll get close enough to eat them.

Cirrylius
2011-12-09, 10:20 PM
- DO NOT meddle with the Matrix.

GOD'S TRUTH. I ran a 4e game briefly and the Matrix rules had us arguing for ages. If that's an improvement, I can't even IMAGINE how clunky 3e must have been. We had similar problems with individual spells; the magic rules in general were okay, but sometimes important particulars were completely absent from the spell descriptions.

The game makes uber-optimizing your character easy and rewarding, which can be a pro or a con, depending on DM and play style. Personally, in more lethal systems I shamelessly powergame because you CAN'T ROLEPLAY WHEN YOU'RE DEAD. Use it when you need it, but just remember that if you get too big for your britches, the DM always has bigger thugs/guns/ICE/critters the thickness of an NPC writeup away. Full auto is just evil.

TheOOB
2011-12-10, 02:48 AM
The hacking system in 4e is very poorly explained in the books, but it does work for the most part. The trick to being a good hacker is to remember that hacking doesn't take much BP, so be good at something else too.

Need_A_Life
2011-12-15, 06:00 AM
Well, there's a few things:

Watch Your Back
Being able to see the enemy coming will save your bacon more times than any but the most abusive builds. Cyber-eyes are cheap, goggles and lenses are cheaper and they can all sport vision-enhancements. Doesn't mean you shouldn't invest in some perception skills, but sometimes infrared or (god help us) echolocation via ultrasound can help eliminate penalties.
Also, always plan for a quick exfiltration. I don't care if you think you've got it under control, if things go pear-shaped move it. Dead people don't get paid (HMMV not withstanding).

Shoot Straight
Whether from drones or your own skills, learn to use a ranged weapon. Even if you're an angel of death when wielding your katana, eventually you will need to hurt someone where you can't or shouldn't enter melee.
If you're worried about killing, either because of morality or because it brings unnecessary heat, get some capsule rounds and fill it with drugs or toxins; Slab is my personal favourite, as it causes at least 1 hour of unconsciousness and more likely in the region of 10. Doesn't work on drones though, so pack something else for that. Stick & Shock may or may not be available for purchase in your neighbourhood, but it works wonders against anything you may meet, whether alive, dead or in-between.

Conserve Ammo
That said, don't fire a shot, unless you have to. With Slab capsule rounds, the main issue is how fragging expensive they are. Also, sometimes a quick lie (or even a partial truth) can turn a potential bloodbath into a simple business arrangement.
And again, there's the issue of killing. The more people you kill, the more likely whatever 'corp you're dealing with will decide to send people after you. If you find yourself in a group of runners that think with their guns, either find a new team or find a place where they'll draw the heat while you get the paydata.

Never trust an elf
In the world of shadowrunning, social engineering is king. You need a fixer you can trust, leverage enough to prevent your Johnson from double-crossing you and a safe spot or two you can be sure no one will blabber on about.
So you did that already? Guess you're feeling pretty smart about that, aren't you? Well, listen up, 'cause this is where the difference between a prime runner and a dead runner comes into play: Those other guys know all the tricks you do. Think about that for a minute.
Most will tell you that elves are best for social engineering, and they're mostly right. A lot of elves manage to exude a fragload of charisma and magnetism, which'll leave you hanging on their every word. Don't fall for this.
Every secret you have is worth something to someone. Your security information is worth even more to your enemies than it is to you, so don't compromise it!
Met that hot elf chick at a bar, who wants to go home to your place? After a quick look to see that she isn't carrying more firepower than to be expected (if you didn't get those visual enhancements yet, then how are you even alive?) and do a quick check on the 'trix to see if things add up. With all the social networking most people do, you'll at least know that whoever set you up did their homework.

And never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.
The bigger, badder, richer and more powerful a person you're dealing with, the more likely you're getting the short of it. Some Johnsons may betray you, some may underpay, some may "forget" to give you crucial information.
There's professional pride in finishing a crappy job, but there's only scorn people who don't know when to walk away.

Got that, omae?

LibraryOgre
2011-12-15, 10:47 AM
You, Mr. Need a Life, win 1 internet.

However, you left out "Never trust an elf." ;-)

Incidentally, if you can get a hold of them, there are some great 2nd edition era sourcebooks you should read.

1) Fields of Fire. Ostensibly about Mercenaries, it's really the home of the "mirrorshades" school of Shadowrunning (v. the "pink mohawk" school).

2) Awakenings. While there's some rules you can skip over, a lot of it is annotated essays about living la vida hoca (hoca being the feminine form of the "hocus" in "hocus pocus"... I thought it was funny).

3) Cybertechnology, especially Hatchetman's essays on growing up to be street meat.

I'm not aware of similar stuff for Deckers/Hackers or Riggers.

Need_A_Life
2011-12-15, 01:00 PM
Thank you, Mark.
Left an odd feeling knowing that I'd left something out, so it's in there now.

Science Officer
2011-12-15, 04:58 PM
To all those deriding the matrix rules (and you're right), have you seen this (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=48836)?
A re-write of the matrix rules (and a lot of fluff) that makes things make more sense technologically, and the rules a lot more clean.

Haven't read all of it, but there are a lot of things I like.

In addition to not playing a hacker, really, really don't play a technomancer.

RFID-scrubbers are usually on the recommended items-to-buy list.
I've seen a few of those, but can't quite locate any atm...

Dimers
2011-12-16, 12:39 AM
To all those deriding the matrix rules (and you're right), have you seen this (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=48836)?

Ooh, thank you!

In addition to not playing a hacker, really, really don't play a technomancer.

I'm pro-hacker but I fully support this message, OP.

Need_A_Life
2011-12-16, 09:30 AM
While I'll agree that Hackers and Technomancers are not good archetypes for new players, I think a lot of it depends on the Game Master. While there are a few silly things in the Matrix Rules to say the least, the biggest problem is pacing.
A Game Master who says: "Well, I'll run this 1½h scenario for the hacker and then get back to the rest of you" needs to learn a thing or two about switching between characters (or get a co-GM, for those of you who'd be able to stand such a thing).

Doing a couple of rolls, explain a few things and jump to someone else and so on is my standard, unless literally everyone is waiting for this one guy to finish, at which point I either need to make this exciting for everyone, tell them to guy buy the pizza/falafel/whatever, or wrap it up quicker.

The problem is that a lot of GMs keep saying that Hackers need to do an extended mini-game every time they perform their role as a (supposedly) vital part of the team, whereas Mages don't get an "Astral Journey to the Magical Kingdoms"TM every time they need to astrally perceive.

Are there times where the full Matrix rules should be used? Yes.
Do they need to be used every time the Hacker runs a Data Search? No.

Oh, and for those people of the belief that Hackers should just loop cameras, open doors and disable/steal enemy drones? You're really selling the archetype short.

Zanatos777
2011-12-20, 12:37 AM
I am currently in a 3rd Edition Shadowrun game (first Shadowrun experience and unfortunately if you are playing 4th I have no advice) and in my experience (most of) the cyberware is a trap. Its overpriced and if the GM uses the optional training time systems you can get a ton of mileage out your starting money (I lost the math but I figured out how to get almost all the skills in the main book to 4 for less than 300,000 nyuen). If not, well cyberware is basically the only thing really expensive.

Everyone else has given tech advice so here is some magic stuff.

My character is magic based made the cybered up characters feel completely inadequate in combat (despite Panther Cannon, a ludicrous weapon). If you do go magic though read the rules thoroughly and make sure you understand Drain and what foci are good.

Magic Tips
Spell pool should always goes to resist Drain
Sorcery allows you to take a specialization in Spellcasting...or in other words more sorcery for cheap
Combat spells can have crazy high forces if you use them at low damage codes due to the escalating damage, avoid elemental manipulations as their drain codes get out of hand quickly
Invoking may be the best metamagic get it because great spirits are amazing, they can turn you into a one man army
Get things that reduce target numbers
Another great thing about magic is you can mostly ignore weapons as so long as you can tank Drain magic can solve almost any problem.
Do what you must to max your combat pool, it can add it nearly everything

Also no one in Shadowrun is squishy (unless they want to be). My shaman has Ballistic Armor 12 (combination of magic and actual armor), Impact 10 (again), Body 5 (started at 3 but raised in game), and Combat Pool 9. I can waltz through automatic gunfire and shrug off grenades.

Shadowrun rewards you for specializing. That really cannot be said loudly enough. If one of your allies can do it absurdly well you probably don't need to be able to do it more than moderately (except combat).

Oh and it has been stated but should be repeated do not deal with dragons, they are plot devices, ones that find you tasty.

Reluctance
2011-12-20, 05:42 AM
The problem is that a lot of GMs keep saying that Hackers need to do an extended mini-game every time they perform their role as a (supposedly) vital part of the team, whereas Mages don't get an "Astral Journey to the Magical Kingdoms"TM every time they need to astrally perceive.

Oh, and for those people of the belief that Hackers should just loop cameras, open doors and disable/steal enemy drones? You're really selling the archetype short.

Mages cast spells. Most also use spirits. Astral recon is a side-job that doesn't form the core of mageyness. It should be harder, since a bit of unchallenged magic can mess up a lot, but that's glossed over in the interest of getting to the good stuff ASAP.

Hackers hack. The solo hacking sequences with the TRON-like special effects are the cool part of cyberpunk movies. The problem is that either hacking becomes its own separate minigame, or the character rolls a few dice as the extent of his archetype. SR4 somewhat mitigates this by making hacking cheap, thus leaving it as a side-job for the character's real specialty. But your options are still side-story or a quick skill role. Unless you go down the drone route, your options are limited.

LibraryOgre
2011-12-20, 02:08 PM
Hackers hack. The solo hacking sequences with the TRON-like special effects are the cool part of cyberpunk movies. The problem is that either hacking becomes its own separate minigame, or the character rolls a few dice as the extent of his archetype. SR4 somewhat mitigates this by making hacking cheap, thus leaving it as a side-job for the character's real specialty. But your options are still side-story or a quick skill role. Unless you go down the drone route, your options are limited.

IME, this isn't true. Because almost everything is wireless, a Hacker is sort of like a precision guided rocket launcher... it takes him time to get everything lined up, but once he does, the target is gone.

Let's say you've got a standard firefight. Six corp goons and a wage mage, vs 4 shadowrunners... two pieces of street meat, a wizard and a hacker. Now, the street meat is throwing lead downfield. That's their job. The wizard is keeping the wage mage busy. That's his job.

The hacker? He's got options.

First, he can try to break into the PAN of the goons. Break their PAN, and he can start their radios feedback squealing, or just tell their smartguns to go into diagnostic mode and stop functioning. Or he can hack one of the security cameras to provide sighting information. Or hack the sprinkler system to turn on over the goons (and the wage mage, distracting him, and giving their wizard a leg up).

Most of these are several tests, made over the course of rounds. While the meat is setting up tables to serve as cover, the hacker is trying to break their PAN. Next round, shots are traded, and he finally gets access to one PAN. Third round, he starts using programs like Command to do things inside that PAN. It takes him a few rounds to get that firing solution, but depending on what he's doing, he can be very effective, in combat, without going to play the hacker minigame.

Need_A_Life
2011-12-20, 03:12 PM
Okay, maybe a rephrasing will help?

Mages cast spells. Most also use spirits. Hackers use programs. Most use Agents.

Astral recon is a side-job that doesn't form the core of mageyness.ICE-breaking is a side-jon that doesn't form the core of hacker-ness.

It should be harder, since a bit of unchallenged magic can mess up a lot, but that's glossed over in the interest of getting to the good stuff ASAP.It should be harder, as tripping an army of ICEs will mess you up. Get past that and your team should love you for it.

I will maintain that the system works, though not perfectly, and that the main problem is that people aren't used to pace things like this. One of my first campaigns had 8 players, was an intrigue campaign involving easily fifty active schemers.
In a game like that I didn't give the spotlight; I juggled spotlights, so people wouldn't get bored (or, too bored, in cases where it couldn't be avoided).

So, the infiltration of this place might break down like this in time and actions.
[3min - Face is creating a distraction in the lobby.]
[2min - Hacker is subverting the security system.]
[4min - Adept uses distraction to sneak past security checkpoint]
[2min - Hacker swaps out a security guards biometrics for the adepts]
*GM tells the Hacker, extended test, dif X, blahblah, tell me how long it took*
[2min - Face begins his own exfiltration]
[5min - Adept goes to get MacGuffin]
*Hacker informs GM that he covered his tracks succesfully*
[XXmin - group is on stand-by to hear from the Adept]

The Hacker didn't get more time on-screen than the rest, he helped the adept just as much as the Face and, in my experience, the play-time I listed wouldn't be unreasonable between switching between players in such a scenario.

Pacing: Why historical novels read a lot better than historical texts.

Joran
2011-12-20, 05:11 PM
I've just started a Shadowrun campaign. The greatest, most helpful thing that I've found is a character generator.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=34674

Makes character generation just a little less painful and easy to tweak.

Autolykos
2011-12-20, 06:36 PM
As long as I don't say otherwise, I'm talking about 3e, since that's what I played (and liked) most.

- I'll second that it is possible to integrate the Matrix into your games once you got used to it - needs a lot of experience from GM and the hacker's player, but then it works fine. Adds a lot of depth to the games, too.

- Riggers, especially drone riggers can be absurdly powerful. Even moderately cheap drones can sometimes outperform the Streetsam (thanks to how vehicle armor works), and a rigger specializing in electronic warfare can just capture the drones on site, so he doesn't even have to pay for repairs and ammo (which can take a good chunk out of your earnings - try to convince your team to contribute a little). IIRC electronic warfare falls into the specialty of the hacker in 4e, so this changes things a little.

- If you're playing 3e, always consider using the Smartlink-Implant, even if you're a magic-user. My rigger (with a mediocre Pistols skill and Smartlink) regularly outperformed our Pistolero-Adept (until he got Smartlink, too).

- Mages can also profit a lot from moderate Bio- or Cyberware. Trauma Dampener, Memnoic Enhancer, Memory, Datajack and of course the Smartlink can be very useful - just make sure you lose less than 1 Essence and 2 Bio-Index (after the Errata). Elemental Manipulations (though flashy) are niche spells, only get them once you understand when (and when not) to use them. Combat spells (especially the infamous Stun/Mana Bolt) are much more effective. Never forget Sterilize, Levitate and Heal/Treat, no matter what your specialty is.

- Some skills should be pre-printed on any character sheet. These include Etiquette, Stealth, Athletics and Pistols (some also argue for Unarmed Combat or any other melee skill - it sucks if you need to default on strength). If you don't want to get one of those, you should have a damn good reason.

- Be sure to have a way to increase initiative. Whoever goes first usually wins. Anyone who can't reliably get a result above 20 should stay the hell away from combat (sending elementals is fine, though).

- Don't be too proud to take cover or run away when things turn sour. It will save your life more than once.

- In addition to flashlights, the humble grenade seems to be the most underappreciated piece of equipment. It has literally hundreds of uses, most of which only become obvious once you are in the exact situation and don't have one.

- Read the CLUE files (http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/gaming/shadowrun/clue-files.html)

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-20, 07:22 PM
Even moderately cheap drones can sometimes outperform the Streetsam (thanks to how vehicle armor works)...That, and not having to worry about recoil means they can generally go full-auto with no concern for consequences.

and a rigger specializing in electronic warfare can just capture the drones on site, so he doesn't even have to pay for repairs and ammo.Assuming the opposition have good drones worth taking, yes - this isn't always the case, though. Even just having ones that aren't suited to your part of the mission can be problematic.

IIRC electronic warfare falls into the specialty of the hacker in 4e, so this changes things a little.They both have it, and that's because in 4e, the hacker and the rigger became the same role; the main difference is in how they typically solve their problems.

If you're playing 3e, always consider using the Smartlink-Implant, even if you're a magic-user. My rigger (with a mediocre Pistols skill and Smartlink) regularly outperformed our Pistolero-Adept (until he got Smartlink, too).It doesn't have to be an implant, if you're playing 4e.

horseboy
2011-12-21, 12:49 AM
I'm not aware of similar stuff for Deckers/Hackers or Riggers.
Virtual Realities 2.0. The beginning of "sculpted" systems and the Otaku, later called technomancers.
Rigger's Black Book.

You're also going to need a really good spreadsheet. I've seen 4th edition Shadowrun's character creation make veteran Rolemaster players go: "Man that's too much math."

Edit: Oh, and read "Portfolio of a Dragon". It's President Dunkelzhan's Last Will and Testament, and Bug City. One of the greatest mods ever.

LibraryOgre
2011-12-21, 01:37 AM
Virtual Realities 2.0. The beginning of "sculpted" systems and the Otaku, later called technomancers.
Rigger's Black Book.

I don't recall the RBB having much in the way of "This is what it means to be a rigger" stuff like Cybertechnology and Awakenings did. OTOH, when I had my copies, I was mostly interested in the toys.

I studiously avoided pre-4e decking, so I don't know much about VR 2.0 (or 1.0, for that matter). :smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2011-12-21, 02:59 AM
2nd edition decking was difficult, but I tended to subtly encourage magic heavy groups, phys adds replacing sammies, so I didn't have to worry about rigging and decking. Oh and that one time Batman showed up. Greatest character ever.

LibraryOgre
2011-12-21, 03:21 AM
2nd edition decking was difficult, but I tended to subtly encourage magic heavy groups, phys adds replacing sammies, so I didn't have to worry about rigging and decking. Oh and that one time Batman showed up. Greatest character ever.

Ok, now you have to tell that story...

Autolykos
2011-12-21, 05:27 AM
Spell pool should always goes to resist DrainNote that this is not how Spell pool works in 3e (I might have the names mixed up because I use the German translation):
Your "Sorcery Pool" is composed of your Spell Pool and your Sorcery Skill. You can split up *all* dice however you like (even between multiple spells, but this raises TNs). Still, 6/9 is a fairly sensible (though a little conservative) split most of the time (assuming you've got 6es in all relevant stats, no Trauma Dampener and the spell has pretty normal difficulty and a drain up to +2M). Low-TN spells with high drain are usually better off with a 3/12 or 4/11 split, while spells with a drain up to +2L should go full-hog on effects. You can up the damage codes by one if you have the Trauma Dampener (because it completely negates light mental damage) - this is what makes it such a good investment for mages.

Zanatos777
2011-12-21, 11:17 AM
Note that this is not how Spell pool works in 3e (I might have the names mixed up because I use the German translation):
Your "Sorcery Pool" is composed of your Spell Pool and your Sorcery Skill. You can split up *all* dice however you like (even between multiple spells, but this raises TNs). Still, 6/9 is a fairly sensible (though a little conservative) split most of the time (assuming you've got 6es in all relevant stats, no Trauma Dampener and the spell has pretty normal difficulty and a drain up to +2M). Low-TN spells with high drain are usually better off with a 3/12 or 4/11 split, while spells with a drain up to +2L should go full-hog on effects. You can up the damage codes by one if you have the Trauma Dampener (because it completely negates light mental damage) - this is what makes it such a good investment for mages.

Hmm, that is not how I read the rules or how the examples explained it. Spell Pool seemed to work like Combat Pool while Sorcery was a separate skill which determined your dice to cast spells. Spell Pool is determined by (Magic+Intelligence+Willpower)/3. Spell Pool can then be divided among the spells you cast and drain. Conjuring does allow you to withhold dice to save for drain but I have read the sorcery section time and time again looking for such a sentence.

Now I will admit my GM is playing very fast and loose with some of the rules (giving us the relevant Attributes to our skill roles is the only one that helps us it seems) but I know how to determine the pool. She may not really know the rules but I am somewhat obsessive about system mastery.

I am no familiar with the Trauma Dampener but my character has very heavy penalties associated with Technology (most of the tech flaws). I am somewhat interested in the tech for if I ever play in another game though.

horseboy
2011-12-21, 02:38 PM
Ok, now you have to tell that story...

So I'm hanging out at the gaming store, kinda bored, and decide to run an impromptu Shadowrun game to introduce it to all the newbies up there. One of the people there was a regular Rifts player. :smallwink: He wanted in too, but had never played SR.
I explain character creation (It's 2nd edition, so creation was super easy, it's decking that's insane.) I'm looking them over and he's gone Money, Skills, stats, human, mundane. He has no cyberware. He's got a 6 in Unarmed and it seems like 2-3 in a LOT of different, seemingly random skills. No Firearms. I'm thinking "He's going to get it handed to him." At least he's got heavy armor that's he's added several things too. I check with him to make sure he wants to be a mundane with no chrome, he's sure.
I don't really look over his gear that much, after all he'd spent a million nuyen and it's taking up a whole sheet of notebook paper.
We start playing. Whenever I mention a skill, he's rolling because he's got something in it. In the social scenes he's rolling in the Tres Chic tux everywhere he goes, being kinda quiet, but always watching everything. When something happens, he whips out a gadget. People jump him? He pulls out the stun flasher thingie. The action starts and it's dark? His armor has the Low-light upgrade. I think he even put a freaking deck in there with the touch 'trodes. When a big fight outside broke out was what gave it away. His armor has a smart-link attachment to his grapple gun that he uses to scale the side of a wall, then jumped down on the thugs with a BASE parachute. That's when we all looked at him.
"You're playing Batman, aren't you?"
He grins. The session was officially over after that as everybody started in on the Batman jokes and wanting to see his car. It was that he never actually came out and said "I'm Batman" but let the rest of the party figure it out. I'd seen GM's pull stunts like that, but never seen a player pull it off that well as a player.

LibraryOgre
2011-12-21, 04:32 PM
That's pretty damn awesome.

JediSoth
2011-12-22, 09:46 AM
If you're just getting started, buy the Runner's Toolkit (http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-Runners-Toolkit-Catalyst-Game/dp/1934857432/). In this nifty box, you get

a NICE GM screen
five booklets including "On The Run," a 56-page introductory adventure; "Anatomy of a Shadowrun," a step-by-step walkthrough of a difficult shadowrun performed by a group of experienced runners; "PACKS," Pre-generated Auxiliary Character Kit System (an alternate character creation system that breaks down the process into a series of "kits" you choose for each step of the process); "Contacts - Adventures - Sprawl Sites;" and "Compiled Tables"
Six dual-sided quick reference cards (cheat sheets) for character creation, Defense, Matrix Combat, Astral Combat, Compiling, Autonomous Drone Combat, Indirect Combat Spells, Spellcasting, Melee Combat, Ranged Combat, Banishing, and Summoning

And a few other goodies like maps.

Autolykos
2011-12-24, 05:00 PM
Hmm, that is not how I read the rules or how the examples explained it. Spell Pool seemed to work like Combat Pool while Sorcery was a separate skill which determined your dice to cast spells. Spell Pool is determined by (Magic+Intelligence+Willpower)/3. Spell Pool can then be divided among the spells you cast and drain. Conjuring does allow you to withhold dice to save for drain but I have read the sorcery section time and time again looking for such a sentence.Just looked it up, and you were right. You can only do this with Conjuring and Ritual Sorcery, but not regular spellcasting. Must have misremembered it.