PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim Dragonborn?

Person_Man
2011-12-08, 01:05 PM
So I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately. 2-3 hours a day, 3-6 days a week, since it came out on November 11. Suffice to say, it's a fun game.

If we were to recreate the mechanics of Skyrim in a 3.5 and/or Pathfinder setting, what would it look like?

Basically everything will be considered (including all books, magazines, Pathfinder, other third party materials, etc), even if it's just ideas for how I should construct a homebrew base class and it's mechanics.

For those who haven't played the game:

The Dragonborn is the Chosen One (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChosenOne), and has no resemblance to the sorta-dragon-ish race from Races of the Dragon.
His main "class feature" is the ability to use Shouts (elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_shouts), the language of the dragons. These have a wide variety of effects, and can be used as often as you like each day, but have a cool down timer between use.
Skill Monkey: Sneak, Pick Pockets, Persuade, Craft, Lockpicking, Swim, Jump, uses magic devices, etc. But is notably not capable of "acrobatics" of any kind, such as Tumble, Climb, Balance, etc.
Spells: A fairly wide variety, encompassing Conjuration, Healing, Protection, blasting energy, Illusions, etc. But more of a Gish with wide spell selection, and definitely not in the Tier 1-2 category in terms of power level.
Capable of using full armor, all weapons, full BAB/Power Attack, and a small selection of limited maneuver-like abilities.

Ideas?

Flickerdart
2011-12-08, 01:16 PM
(Sudden) Still Spell seems like a good idea, or perhaps an Ocular Spell analogue for shouting. I would make these a PrC or a series of feats personally; this would prevent the headaches of trying to give a single dovakhiin melee, magic, skills and everything else in equal measure. People can focus their base class levels on however they'd want to allocate their attributes in Skyrim, and then take the feats/PrC as an addition on top of that to get the shouts.

Yora
2011-12-08, 01:25 PM
Someone made a system for the shouts in the homebrew forum.

Morph Bark
2011-12-08, 01:26 PM
I've actually linked to it before in the Skyrim thread. Here ya go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224359). :smallwink:

I've already got an idea on how to implement Shouts, but what to make the Dovahkiin exactly is still up for debate and many Shouts still need to be added.

Rethmar
2011-12-08, 01:30 PM
Actually, I was reading through Dragon Magic the other day and the Dragonfire Adept class very much reminded me of the Dovahkiin.

DeusMortuusEst
2011-12-08, 01:56 PM
To me a Dragonborn still feels more like a template than a class...

Fax Celestis
2011-12-08, 02:50 PM
Sounds like a maenad duskblade with an expanded skill list to me. Maybe Able Learner and a factotum level.

A_S
2011-12-08, 05:13 PM
Truenamer, fo sho.

Person_Man
2011-12-08, 05:25 PM
I've actually linked to it before in the Skyrim thread. Here ya go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224359). :smallwink:

I've already got an idea on how to implement Shouts, but what to make the Dovahkiin exactly is still up for debate and many Shouts still need to be added.

Doh! I knew that someone must have gotten their first.

I like the idea of working it into Truespeech somehow. But it seems like you would have to rewrite the Truenamer and/or Truespeech entirely in order to make it work. Otherwise a Factotum (or anyone with and Item Familiar) would end up being a much better choice.

Sounds like a maenad duskblade with an expanded skill list to me. Maybe Able Learner and a factotum level.

Hmm. That sounds like a clever idea for accomplishing it with RAW. Though Duskblade is definitely a lot weaker/more limited then the Dragonborn in a variety of ways. Maybe I'll just rewrite Duskblade.

Kaje
2011-12-08, 05:26 PM
Dangit, you beat me. But yeah, a language with many different effects and a cooldown timer? Truenamer.

Morph Bark
2011-12-09, 05:31 AM
Doh! I knew that someone must have gotten their first.

I like the idea of working it into Truespeech somehow. But it seems like you would have to rewrite the Truenamer and/or Truespeech entirely in order to make it work. Otherwise a Factotum (or anyone with and Item Familiar) would end up being a much better choice.

Hence why for the Truespeak DCs (though I'm thinking of renaming it Dragonspeak for this purpose) I based them off Kyeudo's Truenamer fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120488).

bluthunda
2011-12-09, 09:38 AM
I've been playing skyrim alot as well and I thought I would share this idea I had the other night with you all as someone who would be a poor dm I had this idea and have no way to implement it. Why not make a campaign based off the dtory of the dragon born your party starts on the carts with the storm cloaks and the dragon born. The dragon attacks and they get away to start their adventure into skyrim however they want. Don't take the same path as the dragon born go towards Ivarstead instead. As they progress and go to certain cities talk about things the dragon born has done in the area before they got there just follow the main quest line for the dragon born and let the pcs deal with the mages guild Theaves guild and other factions depending on the type of class try chose. Best part is the map is already made and town personality are already there to interact with

Coidzor
2011-12-09, 01:55 PM
^: Seems like that idea runs into some of, but not all of the issues with playing in a Dragonlance campaign. When there's a "Main Plot" That the PCs are vaguely familiar with but can't get in on and have to avoid trampling in order to continue to see interesting stuff, it can lead to issues.

It does seem thematically appropriate and also an awesome chance to show off what that system should have been rather than fixing the DC scaling of the existing system.

Hmm. That sounds like a clever idea for accomplishing it with RAW. Though Duskblade is definitely a lot weaker/more limited then the Dragonborn in a variety of ways. Maybe I'll just rewrite Duskblade.

Could do with one, yeah.