PDA

View Full Version : List of slotless magic items (3.5)

Qwertystop
2011-12-08, 08:53 PM
Does anyone have a list of non-homebrew slotless magic items (or items which allow you to wear magic items without taking up a slot)?

herrhauptmann
2011-12-08, 10:29 PM
A full list? I don't have one, but I'll bet Personman does...

Off the top of my head:
Psychoactive skins. You can wear as many as 3, but only the top one is active. So put on your power damping one, and put the troll one under it.
Keep power damping going throughout your day, and swap it with the troll one for fast healing/limb regeneration.

Chronocharms aren't exactly slotless. They still take up the throat slot, but you can wear one of each.

Paying double for an item makes it slotless.
ex: Belt of battle for 12k (or whatever), by high levels that's chump change. Pay double for belt of battle that can never get taken away outside an AMF(though you could probably still lose it if you get disjoined).

Quiver of ehlonna (golf bag for weapons)
handy haversack (5lbs, has a free action retrieval option)
Bags of holding. Remember, bigger bags do have weight. So the 6 str wizard can't carry a bag of holding 4 unless he shoves it in the haversack.

tyckspoon
2011-12-09, 02:27 AM
Do you want items that are completely slotless, or will effects that just don't cause slot conflicts do? The MIC rules for combining/upgrading items make the basic stat/save/AC boost items close to slotless- they still have to be on a body-slot item, but it costs nothing extra to combine them so you no longer have to worry about whether you want to be wearing your Belt of Battle or your Belt of Strength +6; you just have it made as a +6 Battle Belt of Giant Strength instead. Similarly, weapon/armor augment crystals allow you to add effects to an item space that you probably are using anyway, and only have slot conflicts with other augment crystals.

Hunter Noventa
2011-12-09, 06:38 AM
Ioun Stones are also slotless.

And by magic item creation rules, any item can be made slotless for double the cost. Up to you to figure out how that works though.

hushblade
2011-12-09, 07:46 AM
So with enough money, you could have EVERY magical item equipped as slotless?

Cwymbran-San
2011-12-09, 07:59 AM
So with enough money, you could have EVERY magical item equipped as slotless?
As far as the rules go, yes, according to common sense, no.

If one of your players insists on wearing for example 4 cloaks, 2 pairs of lensens and 3 pairs of boots, punish him with with halved movement, impeded vision and -6 to Balance, Tumble and Jump.

Qwertystop
2011-12-09, 08:46 AM
I'm going into a game that's starting soon, and the race is effectively a cloud (class is Psion). No body slots, so I need to figure out what sort of thing I should ask the DM for as loot.

Double-price makes it slotless sounds good. Any specific examples? It's an E6 game, and we're starting at level 1. As I said, I'm a psion, if that helps find good items for it.

Cwymbran-San
2011-12-09, 09:17 AM
I'm going into a game that's starting soon, and the race is effectively a cloud (class is Psion). No body slots, so I need to figure out what sort of thing I should ask the DM for as loot.

Double-price makes it slotless sounds good. Any specific examples? It's an E6 game, and we're starting at level 1. As I said, I'm a psion, if that helps find good items for it.
An item being slotless does not mean you do not have to carry/wear it, if you have a magic ring which covers no slot, fine, you can have three rings simultaneously (unless your an artificer with enough levels but that ist not the point), but you still need fingers to wear them on.

Which might be a little hard for a cloud i might add.

As loot, how about asking your DM for some permanent spells to effect you? Like protection from arrows which absorbs like 50 points of damage per day?

Qwertystop
2011-12-09, 09:22 AM
An item being slotless does not mean you do not have to carry/wear it, if you have a magic ring which covers no slot, fine, you can have three rings simultaneously (unless your an artificer with enough levels but that ist not the point), but you still need fingers to wear them on.

Maybe not. Why wouldn't making it slotless mean that it's the same magic effect, but instead of needing to be bound into a belt and have extreme proximity to the appropriate part of a character's body to have effect, it's a little ball that just floats in the general area to have its effect?

There is no RAW statement that making an item slotless cannot change anything else about it (like it's shape) AFAIK.

Elric VIII
2011-12-09, 09:31 AM
Just make all of the items in the form of Ioun Stones. You'll be a little cloud orbited by a tornado of pretty rocks.

Cwymbran-San
2011-12-09, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=Qwertystop;12348632]Maybe not. Why wouldn't making it slotless mean that it's the same magic effect, but instead of needing to be bound into a belt and have extreme proximity to the appropriate part of a character's body to have effect, it's a little ball that just floats in the general area to have its effect?[QUOTE]

Ruling on this as i have seen on tournaments: a slotless item hass still to be worn, which is why this little trick is normally used to fit i.e. 2 cloaks on one character (Elvencloak und Charisma was the discussed case). So the DM allowed the Elven Cloak to be slotless for double the cost and the player had to items in the same body slot.

Qwertystop
2011-12-09, 09:40 AM
Just make all of the items in the form of Ioun Stones. You'll be a little cloud orbited by a tornado of pretty rocks.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking for making them Slotless.

Maybe I'll try to convince the DM to reduce the cost-increase to 1.5x normal price, but only allow... lets see... is it 7? items to be worn at the same time (normal amount of item slots), and it'll be double cost after that.

Ksheep
2011-12-09, 11:37 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking for making them Slotless.

Maybe I'll try to convince the DM to reduce the cost-increase to 1.5x normal price, but only allow... lets see... is it 7? items to be worn at the same time (normal amount of item slots), and it'll be double cost after that.

Fairly sure it's 12 slots normally:
2x Rings
1x Hands
1x Shoulders (Cloak, Cape, Etc)
1x Torso (Shirt, Tunic, Etc)
1x Body (Armor, Robe, Etc)
1x Waist
1x Neck
1x Head
1x Arms
1x Face
1x Feet

Qwertystop
2011-12-09, 11:39 AM
2x Rings
1x Hands
1x Waist
1x Neck
1x Head
1x Arms
1x Face
1x Feet

Oh, right. I think I was going by the Incarnum spots. Or I was just mixed up.

Cruiser1
2011-12-09, 11:58 AM
2x Rings
1x Hands
1x Waist
1x Neck
1x Head
1x Arms
1x Face
1x Feet
14 slots actually. Don't forget weapons and shields:
2x Weapon (shield, sword, mace, Etc)

Ksheep
2011-12-09, 12:12 PM
14 slots actually. Don't forget weapons and shields:
2x Weapon (shield, sword, mace, Etc)

Those aren't typically counted in the books as an "item slot". Besides, if you had more arms, you could wield more magic weapons. It's not like every weapon after the second becomes non-magical.

herrhauptmann
2011-12-09, 04:01 PM
Those aren't typically counted in the books as an "item slot". Besides, if you had more arms, you could wield more magic weapons. It's not like every weapon after the second becomes non-magical.
Armor spikes, shield spikes, spiked gauntlet.
All +3 defending items, with greater weapon crystals attached. :smalltongue:

If you're playing as a cloud (what race is that??), perhaps you should look into Vow of Poverty.
You won't have to worry about finding lots of ioun stones and permanent magical effects. Nor will you have to buy them, or beg the party casters to craft them (not an issue with a party artificer).

Elric VIII
2011-12-09, 07:48 PM
What exactly is the race you are playing?

If it's a homebrew (or even if it isn't) consider asking your DM for Chakra-like limitations without requiring custom items.

Something like:

"Race X has the ability to dissociate magic items and orient the resulting magical energy in a certain region of its mass. This causes the item to fuse with the Race X and temporarily become part of its body. As a result, the magical interference caused by wearing multiple items that take up the same slot on a humaoid form is present even in the item's dissociated state. The Race X can reform and drop any item as a [blank] action."

Qwertystop
2011-12-09, 08:47 PM
It's this:
Cloudmind (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11998346&postcount=1443)

Playing it in an E6 game, so instead of +3 LA, it has a 10 point buy for stats. Still plenty for the stats I actually need, considering the big bonus to INT.

Mind if I quote you directly in my PM to the DM? I don't think I can rephrase it well.

Elric VIII
2011-12-09, 11:47 PM
Sure. I hope it works out for you.

Also, that's a pretty cool concept.