PDA

View Full Version : Deepling- Homebrew Race

tempestman
2011-12-08, 11:06 PM
I have a homebrew race I want to run by you to see if you think it's balanced or not (it's probably not). They're known as the deeplings, and their a race of underground humanoids obsessed with magic (I based them off the Deep Imaskari after a friend of mine wanted to play them in my homebrew setting).

Deeplings have the following racial traits:

+2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution. Deeplings possess a great intellect, but they are clumsy and frail compared to many other races.
Medium-sized humanoid: As Medium-size creatures, deeplings have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
A deepling’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision (Ex): A deepling can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and deeplings can function just fine with no light at all.
Light Blindness (Ex): Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds deeplings for 1 round. In subsequent rounds, the deeplings are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
Superior Literacy: Deeplings are always literate, regardless of their character class. Speak Language is always a class skill for deeplings, regardless of class. In their never-ending search for lore the deeplings have made the ability to read mandatory among their kind.
Spell Clutch (Su): A deepling treats his primary casting ability as if it were 2 points higher for the purposes of determining his bonus spells per day.
Spell-Like Abilities: A deepling with an Intelligence score of 13 or higher can use the following spell like abilities three times per day with a caster level equal to his character level: Detect Magic, Know Direction, Read Magic
Automatic Languages: Common and Deepling.
Favored Class: Wizard. Deeplings love all things arcane, and their naturally bookish nature lends itself to the wizard’s way of life.

I feel like Magical Focus might be pushing it over the top, especially with the spell-like abilities (which while not great aren't terrible either). Thoughts?

radmelon
2011-12-09, 12:00 PM
Both magical focus and spell clutch make this pretty much the best wizard ever. Needs either LA or a nerf.

Rapidghoul
2011-12-09, 12:30 PM
Yeah, right off the bat the get +3 to all their spells' DC if they go with an Int based class (+2 Int, Magical Focus, Spell Clutch). Now, -2 Dex and -2 Con is a hefty price to pay, but those are easily made up for with the right planning (and as a Wizard, who needs those pesky physical stats anyway?)

Maybe make it a variant of a standard Gnome's ability. Make it so they can pick any school of magic to get +1 to DC and +2 to saves. That way they work like a gnome illusionist but with any school, but they don't get it with ALL the schools. You could also make Magical Focus give +1 DC to one school and -1 to the others. The net DCs would be +3 for their focus and +1 to everything else.

You might want to add in one other detrimental thing. Maybe lower their speed to 20ft.

tempestman
2011-12-09, 04:56 PM
I cut magical focus since the +2 Int does the same thing.