PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #819 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2011-12-09, 12:14 AM
New comic is up.

Athedia
2011-12-09, 12:18 AM
I guessed that Tarquin knew about the group. But the Nale twist was cool. Tarquin is really growing on me.

Shadowbane
I really need to not love Tarquin.

Gnoman
Well, looks like nale's done breathing now. Gotta love how Tarquin took the time to elucidate just how easily he understood Nale before revealing that he could see him.

zimmerwald1915
So...Nale's as horrified at being found out as Elan was at having slaves burned in his honor?

Well, he's got his priorities straight I guess.

Sunken Valley
Tarquin=win

Mando Knight
2011-12-09, 12:19 AM
This page made me cackle with delight at Nale's reaction.

Blisstake
2011-12-09, 12:21 AM
Squirm, Nale :smallamused:

UnderTheMoon
2011-12-09, 12:21 AM
Tarquin makes evil sexy

the_tick_rules
2011-12-09, 12:22 AM
He so wasted his surprise round by gloating and not grabbing him. But he like the theatrics, I guess just grabbing him is too boring?

Mutant Sheep
Ah, Nale. Run run run, the gingerbread golems are gonna eat you alive.:smalltongue:

Samiel_Fronsac
Tarquin is just plain badass, dude.

Kanthalion
2011-12-09, 12:23 AM
Okay, I haven't posted in years, but I just had to post to say how awesome Tarquin is. That right there is why LE is so much fun to play.

Hardcore
Lols! Nale = owned by daddy:smallsmile:

Drolyt
You know, I think my love of intelligent, badass villains is unhealthy. Unfortunately, this strip isn't helping. Tarquin is simply awesome.

Dr.Epic
Nice new comic.

Giggling Ghast
2011-12-09, 12:31 AM
BUSTED! :tongue:

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-09, 12:35 AM
Wow, one of my wild theories (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12220510&postcount=14) was somewhat right. I don't know who to be more proud of--Tarquin or myself. :smalltongue:

Gaius
2011-12-09, 12:36 AM
Wow. I might have guessed Tarquin would run out of demonstrations of his hilariously huge competence by now. :smallsmile: Well-played, Giant.

I can just imagine the wheels that turned in his Nale's head:
"Heh, so those fools are 'following me' to Girard's? That's convenient. It'll leave dear old dad much less protected. Just have to wait for the ri--"
"... So he thinks I'm still here. Fine. Should have figured he'd be paranoid; cowards always are, and that's what he is for not grabbing the glor--"
"... Did he just look at me? No, no, that's silly."
"Hmph. Well, at least he acknowledges my brilliance. I'm certainly not running off half-co--"
"I AM NOT AN EGOMANIAC! I mean, just because I was hanging off every word you two were saying about me just now doesn't mean I need to know. In fact, I'm done listening. ... Just as soon as he changes topics from me."
"... Birthday present? What in all the hells cou--"
"..."
"!!!!!!!!!!"

Weasel though he is, I kinda feel bad for him. :smalltongue: He's just in so far over his head.

Cisturn
2011-12-09, 12:38 AM
Oh man, you gotta love Nale's face as he's running away. Oh Malack Is going to be upset. Anyone think he has a chance of getting away?

Atcote
2011-12-09, 12:38 AM
Hmm, now it's official. We can trust nothing about what we can assume someone can see. I can only imagine that, just off panel, or perhaps in panel but invisible, there is a complete explanation for what the MitD is, and we will never know that these characters were just looking right at it.

rbetieh
2011-12-09, 12:40 AM
I love the way he heaps on the insults first and then goes after Nale. Well guess who's about to be tortured into telling Tarquin about the gate...

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-12-09, 12:42 AM
EPIC WIN for Tarquin! Loved Nale's "Oh, crap, BUSTED!" look in the second to last panel!

Almaseti
2011-12-09, 12:43 AM
That punchline made me laugh like a moron. Oh, but Nale is in for it. I have trouble seeing how he's getting out of this. But the LOOK on his face!

Cracklord
2011-12-09, 12:46 AM
Well played, sir.

DOOM2099
2011-12-09, 12:50 AM
Okay, I haven't posted in years, but I just had to post to say how awesome Tarquin is. That right there is why LE is so much fun to play.

I don't post much, but I have to say, Tarquin is simply the best villain I have seen in many moons. Rich seems adept at making me actively prefer the bad guy, seeing as how Belkar, Xykon, Redcloak and now Tarquin are just webcomic gold. GOLD I SAY!!! Oh, and the theurge chick, forgot her name, too lazy to check. She is interesting, too. Heck, even Roy's dad, the jerk, is extremely interesting and enjoyable.

ungolhir
2011-12-09, 12:55 AM
Tarquin, you magnificent bastard! I want to read your book! Great comic.

ThePhantom
2011-12-09, 12:55 AM
Well, this is interesting. Well, Nale is going to get away, as the only guy who can see him doesn't have a weapon and let Nale get the lead. It only takes a place with more than one door for him to get away.

Eakin
2011-12-09, 12:56 AM
Well, looks like nale's done breathing now. Gotta love how Tarquin took the time to elucidate just how easily he understood Nale before revealing that he could see him.

You might even say...

*sunglasses*

He saw right through him

BobVosh
2011-12-09, 12:59 AM
<3 Tar-win

Stitch531
2011-12-09, 01:12 AM
I generally just lurk, but I registered to say how much I enjoy how much subtle detail the Giant manages to put into a stick-figure comic strip. In this one, we have Tarquin looking off to the side in panel 5, which seems like just a "I'm monologuing" gesture until you read the punchline.

And then we have the next-to-last panel, which lets us see Nale's moment of realization. If that panel had been left out, and the comic had immediately shown Nale fleeing in terror, it wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable.

Then there's Tarquin's cool smile in the final panel. He's saying, "Yes, Nale, I see you. I know you have a sword, while I'm not carrying any obvious weapon. I don't care. I'll even give away the advantage of surprise. Don't care. I'll still kick your back end..."

Tarquin is the most awesomely genre-savvy villain I can think of.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-12-09, 01:13 AM
True Seeing is a Level 5 Cleric Spell, pretty sure Malack can use it and then do so many things to Nale, and since he has more time to think now, he probably can use his spells way more efficiently.

And I now see that while Tarquin shares many of Elan's emotional stylings, neither of his sons is a match for his mind. Tarquin isn't top of my list yet, but he just moved up many positions.

SpaceBadger
2011-12-09, 01:15 AM
Good one! Thanks, Giant.

SpaceBadger
2011-12-09, 01:16 AM
I can just imagine the wheels that turned in his Nale's head:
"Heh, so those fools are 'following me' to Girard's? That's convenient. It'll leave dear old dad much less protected. Just have to wait for the ri--"
"... So he thinks I'm still here. Fine. Should have figured he'd be paranoid; cowards always are, and that's what he is for not grabbing the glor--"
"... Did he just look at me? No, no, that's silly."
"Hmph. Well, at least he acknowledges my brilliance. I'm certainly not running off half-co--"
"I AM NOT AN EGOMANIAC! I mean, just because I was hanging off every word you two were saying about me just now doesn't mean I need to know. In fact, I'm done listening. ... Just as soon as he changes topics from me."
"... Birthday present? What in all the hells cou--"
"..."
"!!!!!!!!!!"

Nice! Sounds just like him.

Laws of Chaos
2011-12-09, 01:17 AM
Every time I read a strip with Tarquin I cant help but like him even more! He also keeps moving up the list of all-time favorite villains.
Thanks for the update Giant!

DougTheHead
2011-12-09, 01:18 AM
S*** just got real.

On one hand, I feel like Nale will try to bargain his information about the gates for his life. On the other, I don't see him walking out of this alive.

ShikomeKidoMi
2011-12-09, 01:19 AM
Now here's the question: Is he gloating just for fun (because it is fun) or is he giving Nale a fair chance to flee in the hopes that this experience (and others like having a bounty put on his head) will eventually lead him to learning his lesson and shaping up?

Remember, Tarquin wasn't even offended when Elan challenged him to a duel to the death, so this may be his version of tough love for Nale-- giving him a chance to run. Just a chance, mind you, if he catches him than clearly Nale didn't learn enough.

Or maybe he really does want to catch Nale and just loves bragging, it's hard to say.

Shatteredtower
2011-12-09, 01:27 AM
As entertaining as that was, I suspect it's leading us straight into the next curve ball.

legomaster00156
2011-12-09, 01:27 AM
Ahahaha... yes... kill him! Destroy him!

SamBurke
2011-12-09, 01:28 AM
Take Down Nale!

doodthedud
This is my favorite strip in all of the forever.

Forikroder
why are people thinking Tarquin for some reason botched his attempt to catch Nale?

Nale is alone in Tarquins castle, this comic was jsut Tarquin showing Nalei jsut how mcuh more amazing then him he is he probably has big plans for Nale and step one is "make him run around for a while terrified and let him think he has a chance to escape before showing him theres no way out"

maybe he even plans to run him down until hes too tired to take another step and then hand him to Malack

Ridureyu
2011-12-09, 01:35 AM
Wow! In reading the comic, I expected a lame twist like Tarquin being Nale in disguise, and shanking Malak.

Instead, we got a genuinely hilarious strip!

Squark
2011-12-09, 01:36 AM
HAHAHAHA!

Didn't see that one coming.

Ah, Nale. When will you ever learn?

thereaper
2011-12-09, 01:39 AM
Nale. Got. Owned.

Prophet_of_Io
2011-12-09, 01:40 AM
Tarquin is such a deliciously conniving +5 Vicious Keen Bastard Sword.

How can this man NOT be anyones favorite after his Evil Unveiling Rant and this most beautiful of plays. He's like an evil Batman that Majored in Villainy and minored in Theater. He's brilliant, devious and epic. I love him.

Curious
2011-12-09, 01:43 AM
The villain should not be this likeable.

Cranica
2011-12-09, 01:45 AM
"For instance, right now, Awesome takes the form of a Ring of True Seeing".

Whiffet
2011-12-09, 01:48 AM
I gotta love that moment where a character I want to see suffer realizes he is in big trouble.

Morgan Wick
2011-12-09, 01:49 AM
This, of course, raises the question of why Tarquin sent the OOTS off: to reinforce Girard against Nale, to get them out of his hair, for some reason related to why Penelope died, just to get the band back together and to their destination, or because he knows Girard is predisposed to hate them? Or some other reason entirely?

Also, so much for any theories that Tarquin and Nale are in cahoots.

Ted The Bug
2011-12-09, 01:50 AM
Ok, seriously, I have two words.
Tarquin. Prequel.
This was fantastic.

Zevox
2011-12-09, 01:51 AM
Ah, now that right there is why I love Tarquin. Intelligent and genre-savvy, plus humiliating Nale like it was second nature to him. Thoroughly enjoyable. :smallsmile:

Zevox

Rockphed
2011-12-09, 01:54 AM
The villain should not be this likeable.

Tarquin isn't the villain. He is evil and a tyrant, but he isn't the villain.

Then again Xykon is always fun to watch too.

Rich, why do your villains all rock so much? Despite being clearly evil, they are all far too much fun to read about!

Also, I think the appropriate foil in the Order for Tarquin is Roy. They would probably have a nice philosophical discussion while beating each other to pieces.

silvadel
2011-12-09, 01:56 AM
Like Tarquin or Hate Tarquin, everyone respects Tarquin and his competence, genre savviness and style. Poor Nale. And Tarquin is smart enough not to simply kill him.... Nale + little black gem = karma.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-12-09, 02:07 AM
Tarquin has the looks and drama knowledge of Elan and the intelligence of Roy, wrapped into one ball of delightful awesome. Good show.

SlyJohnny
2011-12-09, 02:10 AM
You're all assuming that Tarquin is going to tell Malack that Nale is right there, and then apprehend him. I don't know if that's his priority.

I'm not entirely sure what his priorities are, at this point... he seems to want the OOTS to go off and complete their quest, and he says that's just because it's in his interest for them to defeat the resident scenery chewing villain before said villain conquers the world, but I'm suspicious. He's foreshadowed that Elan's choices are going to decide the fate of the empire, one way or the other, but I figured that was just because he "knew immediately" that Elan will be the one to depose him.

Faltenin
2011-12-09, 02:17 AM
You're all assuming that Tarquin is going to tell Malack that Nale is right there, and then apprehend him. I don't know if that's his priority.

I agree... I'm not convinced that Tarquin is letting Malak wreak vengeance on Nale, it seems more like he's giving him a snarky lesson. Nale is his own "evil spawn" after all, the tyrant in training.

fruityjanitor
2011-12-09, 02:18 AM
Another epic Tarquin strip! I literally laughed out loud at the last 2 panels

Can't wait to see what Tarquin is going to do with Nale. My first thought was that he will kill him (or let Malack kill him), but now I'm not so sure.

If he did kill him, I wonder what Sabine would do... And how would Elan react when he found out that his dad killed his brother?!

DaggerPen
2011-12-09, 02:25 AM
Epic. Just epic. At first I was disappointed that we were remaining with Tarquin and Malack just where the scene left off- much as I love those two, Tarquin's last line was so great and the Order's utter lack of subtlety so obvious that it seemed like the explanation of how Tarquin figured it out would just kill the strip. Then he revealed Nale was still in the city, and I thought it was a good set-up strip for the next plot twist. Then we got to the Ring of True Seeing and I just started cackling with glee.

Utterly depraved b******* should not be this likeable.

Anarion
2011-12-09, 02:26 AM
I genuinely did not see that coming. Bravo, Giant, bravo.

I'm going to take one from Elan and say that the way Tarquin set up the story while embarrassing Nale was an absolutely masterful way to lay out the upcoming plot. Now we get to wonder what the Order of the Stick will be facing (since they're clearly NOT facing Nale) and wonder what Tarquin's plans are towards Nale other than making him look the fool.

You might even say...

*sunglasses*

He saw right through him

/Internet slap

Bavarian itP
2011-12-09, 02:38 AM
why are people thinking Tarquin for some reason botched his attempt to catch Nale?

Nale is alone in Tarquins castle

And Tarquin is the only one that can see him, unless T. routinely hands out rings of true seeing to his low-leve guards. And Nale can still cast Dimension Door.

Tarquin not only failed to put a sword through the guts of his nation's most wanted criminal, he also gave said criminal important tactical information. All Nale needs to do now is to devise a tactic that defeats true seeing, and then, patricide.

JoseB
2011-12-09, 02:40 AM
Glorious. Simply glorious.

Tarquin is an evil S.O.B. but has tons of style, smarts and panache. A positively fascinating, horrifying and fun character to watch.

My congratulations on crafting such a memorable individual, Rich!

Tarquin not only failed to put a sword through the guts of his nation's most wanted criminal, he also gave said criminal important tactical information. All Nale needs to do now is to devise a tactic that defeats true seeing, and then, patricide.

Frankly, I very much doubt that Tarquin doesn't have contingency plans for dealing with Nale, even if Nale knows about the ring of True Seeing.

In the Tarquin vs. Nale confrontation, I think I'd bet for Tarquin without a doubt.

Sith_Happens
2011-12-09, 02:44 AM
You might even say...

*sunglasses*

He saw right through him

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! (http://instantyeah.org/)

Run, Nale, run.:smallamused:

Psyren
2011-12-09, 02:45 AM
Too smug. TOO smug! No matter how many points he just got from me for making Nale piss himself, I can't wait for Tarquin to get taken down. :smalltongue:

TheNovak
2011-12-09, 02:46 AM
That was amazingly awesome.

Unfortunately, Tarquin capturing Nale will probably lead to Tarquin finding out about the Gates. And Tarquin finding out about the Gates is BAD.

Squeejee
2011-12-09, 02:51 AM
And Tarquin is the only one that can see him, unless T. routinely hands out rings of true seeing to his low-leve guards. And Nale can still cast Dimension Door.

Nale needs to devise a clever, effective tactic to defeat his foes? He's doomed. Also this: "All guards, enact the invisible intruder protocol!" After all, if he's prepared for shape-changers, why not invisible enemies? Or teleporting enemies? I suspect Tarquin drills his guards constantly on how to break the most effective PC tactics, or at the very least has written a very helpful field manual for them to consult when up against game breaking things like that.

Really, Nale's chances of getting away after the villain's smug "I have you now" speech are nil unless he just happened to become a protagonist between now and the last time we saw him. Personally, I'd say that either Tarquin's going to cut some kind of deal with Nale (possibly letting him go only after throwing a tracking device on him...), or we've reached a point in the story that is close enough to the end that Nale's character has become redundant, and will be purged in an act of awesome villainy.

And then return in less than a dozen pages, because it's been established that in-universe logic renders Nale's permanent death impossible.

Unless you use soul-binding magic; but only a rich, high-level Evil character would do th-

Oh.

Bavarian itP
2011-12-09, 02:56 AM
Too smug. TOO smug! No matter how many points he just got from me for making Nale piss himself, I can't wait for Tarquin to get taken down. :smalltongue:

Exactly. As genre-savvy as Tarquin is, he should know that it's a bad idea to brag when you could stab :smallwink:

Nale needs to devise a clever, effective tactic to defeat his foes? He's doomed. Also this: "All guards, enact the invisible intruder protocol!"

The guards are all outside, enacting the shapeshifter protocoll. And even if they weren't, the invisible intruder protocoll does (probably) nothing against Dimension Door.

JoseB
2011-12-09, 03:00 AM
Exactly. As genre-savvy as Tarquin is, he should know that it's a bad idea to brag when you could stab :smallwink:

As I said earlier, I very much doubt that Tarquin doesn't have contingency plans in place for dealing with this kind of situation.

OR-- Nale manages (against all odds) to kill daddy and usurp his place, only to make such a mess of things that he ends up with his head on a pike after losing the Empire to an invasion.

Karoug
2011-12-09, 03:00 AM
No point in running really, Tarquin probably is packing a ring of the ram or something for a one-hit KO in the next strip...

Bavarian itP
2011-12-09, 03:11 AM
As I said earlier, I very much doubt that Tarquin doesn't have contingency plans in place for dealing with this kind of situation.

But why should he rely on the contingency plan when he just could stab Nale? That's stupid, that's exactly the kind of behaviour that kills the villains in James Bond movies.

Unless you use soul-binding magic; but only a rich, high-level Evil character would do th-

Believe me, I would love to see this. That's why I'm mad at Tarquin.

guyitp
2011-12-09, 03:12 AM
Maybe Tarquin will capture/torture/enslave/lendtoMalack Nale and either the Order will have to rescue them because they are mostly good, or the Guild will temporarily join the order to maximise manpower and overthrow Tarquin after dealing with the gate.. cos that would be an awesome story arc

Dandria
2011-12-09, 03:28 AM
Oh boy, this is going to be good :smallwink:.

i6uuaq
2011-12-09, 03:30 AM
But why should he rely on the contingency plan when he just could stab Nale? That's stupid, that's exactly the kind of behaviour that kills the villains in James Bond movies.

You do realise that's precisely the kind of villain he wishes to be, right? Swashbuckling, wise-cracking, moustache-stroking, over-the-top villainous villainy villain?

Tundar
2011-12-09, 03:41 AM
2nd last panel is priceless.

Tarquin is a top badass and evil villan, but you gotta love him for his awesomeness.

ss49
2011-12-09, 03:42 AM
I'm surprised Tarquin didn't take Malack's staff and lay a non-lethal beatdown on Nale.

I am not convinced Tarquin would want to try using a Gate. He could be smart enough to realize the risks of messing with one.

Palthera
2011-12-09, 03:56 AM
Tarquin is awesome!
And boy does he relish demonstrating that not only does he THINK he's better than everyone else, he actually IS.

Bavarian itP
2011-12-09, 04:47 AM
You do realise that's precisely the kind of villain he wishes to be, right? Swashbuckling, wise-cracking, moustache-stroking, over-the-top villainous villainy, dead villain?

Fixed for you :smallwink:

Nightmarenny
2011-12-09, 04:51 AM
You do realise that's precisely the kind of villain he wishes to be, right? Swashbuckling, wise-cracking, moustache-stroking, over-the-top villainous villainy villain?

Yeah, the thing that Elan and Tarquin share are their love of the dramatic and Tropes.

voiceofreason
2011-12-09, 04:53 AM
Based on The Crayons of Time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) I think the Tarquin family are Draketooths -- check out the hairdos and goatees. I don't see Tarquin as being in all that much of a hurry to despatch his treacherous son, unless he was forced to do it. It's his son after all. He probably figures to keep Nale "pointed in the right direction". Awesome storytelling.

factotum
2011-12-09, 04:59 AM
Oh man, you gotta love Nale's face as he's running away. Oh Malack Is going to be upset. Anyone think he has a chance of getting away?

Absolutely not. Tarquin wouldn't have revealed he could see Nale unless he was pretty darned sure he would be able to stop him escaping!

Murray
2011-12-09, 05:06 AM
HAHAHAYES! If I had a Fantasy Fantasy team, it'd probably just be Tarquin and O-Chul. Nale's body may be running, but his ego and his intellect are in negative hit points...

Rich, why do your villains all rock so much?

A good DM knows how to make cool villains. And if Rich isn't a good DM, then he's at least writing one for OOTS.

Ellye
2011-12-09, 05:36 AM
I'm in love.

raymundo
2011-12-09, 05:40 AM
It is sad and awesome at the same time how every "plot hole" regarding Tarquin is fixed a hand full of strips later and still people are complaining.

Very nice strip, I am hoping for some serious Nale beatdown..

Gandariel
2011-12-09, 06:07 AM
this one made me laugh so much! keep up with the great work!

warmachine
2011-12-09, 06:19 AM
If Malak has Invisibility Purge, he'll get medieval on Nale's ass. If so and he can catch Nale, I doubt even Tarquin can stop Malak from killing Nale.

banjo1985
2011-12-09, 06:29 AM
I like and admire Traquin more and more. :smallamused:

Nale's in serious trouble right now, he better hope Thog gets out from underneath that rubble pretty sharpish.

M.A.D
2011-12-09, 06:31 AM
So, what we know about Penelope other than her background with Draketooth is that she purged all Evil components out of the castle's hair product, she apparently was content with Tarquin enough that she'd tell him about her personal stuffs like having a "friend" finding out about Draketooth for her, and she gave Tarquin a useful magic item for his birthday.

Sounds like a decent person! Also, I believe she really did love Tarquin (Not many women wouldn't, if he put his mind to it) and he had nothing to do with her death.

Kareasint
2011-12-09, 06:32 AM
If Malak has Invisibility Purge, he'll get medieval on Nale's ass. If so and he can catch Nale, I doubt even Tarquin can stop Malak from killing Nale.

Which is probably why Tarquin did not mention that Nale was there. Tarquin wants information at this point and Nale is the most likely source. Nale is still showing the signs of Malack's attack.

Plus, Tarquin seems to enjoy "twisting the knife" after inserting it. It has been a while since I have seen a villain this well prepared and in control.

Boogastreehouse
2011-12-09, 06:39 AM
Nale knows about the gates.

I suspect Tarquin doesn't know about them yet, but he will very very soon...

faustin
2011-12-09, 06:42 AM
Mr. Burlew would have to work hard in order to make Xykon the main villain again, because Tarquin has set very high standards to our tastes.

And I think Tarquin will let Nale run this time, after this subtle remind of who is still the top cat.

Faramir
2011-12-09, 06:48 AM
Amazing example of one brilliant way to run a high charisma lawful evil antagonist.

Roderick_BR
2011-12-09, 06:52 AM
Tarquin's turning out to be the coolest villain/tyrant ever!
His speculations about Elan's party and the reasons are very well thought, showing he has the smarts and the experience.
The little show with Nale shows he's that badass :smallamused:

ThePhantasm
2011-12-09, 07:02 AM
Tarquin is pretty badass. I don't understand the folk who are annoyed by his presence and wishing him dead. I find him much more entertaining than Nale at this point.

deworde
2011-12-09, 07:03 AM
I would give Nale about 20 seconds before Malack gets him...

Killer Angel
2011-12-09, 07:03 AM
YES!!!
Tarquin FTW... And now, smash him down! :smallbiggrin:

Icedaemon
2011-12-09, 07:09 AM
At this point, the only thing that might save Nale is Tarquin choosing him over Malack, which seems like a very poor and unlikely choice.

So, what we know about Penelope other than her background with Draketooth is that she purged all Evil components out of the castle's hair product, she apparently was content with Tarquin enough that she'd tell him about her personal stuffs like having a "friend" finding out about Draketooth for her, and she gave Tarquin a useful magic item for his birthday.

Sounds like a decent person! Also, I believe she really did love Tarquin (Not many women wouldn't, if he put his mind to it) and he had nothing to do with her death.

As I have stated before, it is more practical for evil people to surround themselves with (lawful) neutral ones, whose loyalty will not be easily overcome by sadism, ego or greed.

Orzel
2011-12-09, 07:10 AM
OotS fathers may be poor dads but this one is harass at least.

That makes it even and bearable.

I like how he didn't automatically tell Alack so he could savor the theatrics without angry blasting.

Raistlin82
2011-12-09, 07:17 AM
"For instance, right now, Awesome takes the form of a Ring of True Seeing".

Aaaaw, man.
You had to go and ruin it for me.
But you're right: Xykon did it first and better.
Oh, well... still a good comic, despite the recycled idea.

hajo
2011-12-09, 07:30 AM
Tarquin isn't top of my list yet, but he just moved up many positions.

Then I'd like to see that list :smallamused:

GalenDev
2011-12-09, 07:31 AM
It's official: Tarquin is the most awesome bad/good/bad guy in webcomics history.

Nale's "Oh Crap" face really made this thing for me. The realization of just how screwed he really is dawning on him.

Kish
2011-12-09, 07:32 AM
This, of course, raises the question of why Tarquin sent the OOTS off: to reinforce Girard against Nale, to get them out of his hair, for some reason related to why Penelope died, just to get the band back together and to their destination, or because he knows Girard is predisposed to hate them? Or some other reason entirely?

Because he wants them to stop Xykon before Xykon conquers the parts of the world ruled by Tarquin?

There were theories that Tarquin and Nale are in cahoots?

Pendulous
2011-12-09, 07:32 AM
Tarquin is pretty awesome in that he seems to have the best features of Nale and Elan.

I'm more worried about Malack I can see him trying to bring down Tarquin, or trying some other evil, maybe even joining Xykon. But, there is hope, maybe Durkon's short friendship with him can help him see the light.

SteveMB
2011-12-09, 07:57 AM
The old man liked to jerk his enemy's chain a bit before moving in for the kill, I guess. :smallbiggrin:

warmachine
2011-12-09, 08:10 AM
Which is probably why Tarquin did not mention that Nale was there. Tarquin wants information at this point and Nale is the most likely source. Nale is still showing the signs of Malack's attack.
The trouble is that I doubt Malak cares about information, just Nale's death, and he's not stupid enough to miss what Tarquin is saying. If Malak has Invisibility Purge, Nale will be attacked. If he doesn't, he will demand Tarquin attack Nale and almost certainly threaten Tarquin if he refuses, regardless of their alliance. I doubt Malak will stop even if Nale is captured alive. He might accept a capture provided he can torture Nale himself. After all, you don't get to be high priest in a city ruled by fear and intimidation if you aren't good at using threats to get what you want.

Scarlet Knight
2011-12-09, 08:13 AM
Now here's the question: Is he gloating just for fun (because it is fun) or is he giving Nale a fair chance to flee in the hopes that this experience (and others like having a bounty put on his head) will eventually lead him to learning his lesson and shaping up?

Remember, Tarquin wasn't even offended when Elan challenged him to a duel to the death, so this may be his version of tough love for Nale-- giving him a chance to run. Just a chance, mind you, if he catches him than clearly Nale didn't learn enough.

Or maybe he really does want to catch Nale and just loves bragging, it's hard to say.

I believe that Tarquin knows that all he has to do is grab Nale and say "He is here, old friend, " & Malak would "claw,claw, bite" the life out of him.

I assume Tarquin loves both his sons, wants Nale to straighten out into a proper villian, and wants to divide the empire between them in some ying/yang way. Like Snowmiser & Heatmiser...:smallsmile:

HandofShadows
2011-12-09, 08:16 AM
Are they ranks for being cool in D&D? Because if there are Tarquin has a LOT of them. :smallcool: (Even if he is a very bad guy)

It's interesting that Tarquin does not really care exactly about what the Order is doing. Just that he thinks he will benifit from it.

Roderick_BR
2011-12-09, 08:25 AM

Purge Invisibility and See Invisibility are much cheaper and easier spells to cast around.

rman
2011-12-09, 08:29 AM
Then Tarquin would have known all along there was a drow posing as the elven ambassador. Interesting.

Toper
2011-12-09, 08:30 AM
Wow. Excellent, well-paced, shocking comic. The Giant never ceases to surprise. I thought Nale might still be in the city, but I didn't expect him to be captured.

I doubt Tarquin would kill his son; note how attached he is to Elan even though they've barely met. I bet he'd torture him, though. Nale may be in for some painful characterization.

But I think the scene's about to shift, and we won't see any more of Tarquin for quite a long time; I'm not expecting him to reappear in the next year.

Then Tarquin would have known all along there was a drow posing as the elven ambassador. Interesting.
That's a good point, but Rich probably just forgot about that particular interaction.

Casterbridge
2011-12-09, 08:31 AM
Well nothing really to add other than I've been enjoying this strip for years but Tarquin is bringing a whole new level of awesome to it.

AbuSpud
2011-12-09, 08:48 AM

Nale is alone in Tarquins castle, this comic was jsut Tarquin showing Nalei jsut how mcuh more amazing then him he is he probably has big plans for Nale and step one is "make him run around for a while terrified and let him think he has a chance to escape before showing him theres no way out"

maybe he even plans to run him down until hes too tired to take another step and then hand him to Malack

Or plans to let him escape in a very specific direction to accomplish a very specifc goal? Tarquin is a master manipulator. :smallyuk:

Wanda V'Orcus
2011-12-09, 09:12 AM

Yes, but he just let a completely white cat -- the perfect accessory for such a villain to stroke nonchalantly -- fly off with the OoTS! :smallsigh:

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

leakingpen
2011-12-09, 09:21 AM
indeed, giant, i think people are learning to to run villians properly from your comic! awesome.

ScrapperTBP
2011-12-09, 09:26 AM
Hahaha amazing as always Giant. Looking forward to the next one. Busted :D

pendell
2011-12-09, 09:29 AM
That ... that is just AWESOME. That's a crowning moment of awesome for Tarquin. He is now officially my favorite villain in the strip. Granted, he's evil and he murders slaves for fun and his own twisted pleasure, and that is evil and he deserves to die for it, but Xykon does the same and Xykon doesn't have Tarquin's style.

It's probable Tarquin won't live through the arc. But if the Giant ever decided to do a sequel to OOTS, a sequel starring Elan taking on his father would not be bad at all.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Caractacus
2011-12-09, 09:31 AM
Fixed for you :smallwink:

I think that you aren't paying attention enough to Tarquin's character type - you seem to be mistaking him for you with spiky shoulder pads.

Tarquin appears to be even at ease with dying, as long as he is in control of events up to that point. He enjoys teasing and playing with his enemies it seems. He doesn't necessarily even WANT to capture Nale. He might or he might not. It depends very much upon what he is seeking to achieve - and this we do not know.

As far as we can tell (I think that this is what we have been led to believe, anyway), Tarquin enjoys weaving a web of control and being one step ahead of both his enemies and events. This is what he lives for. The challenge. If he just stabbed him, he'd have one less channel to watch.

BTW, I am convinced that what we know of Tarquin means that:

All Nale needs to do now is to devise a tactic that defeats true seeing, and then, patricide.

is surely not a correct assessment of the situation. Is there anything about Tarquin's character that we have seen that would make us believe that he would be thinking anything else than 'Note to self: Nale now knows about the Ring of Seeing. Adjust personal defences accordingly'?

Enlong
2011-12-09, 09:33 AM
That was pretty dang great.

By the way, I didn't know that True Seeing came in rings. I suppose it makes sense, as a powerful passive enchantment, but True Seeing kind of strikes me as the sort of spell you'd put in a magic spyglass. Or a pair of spectacles.

Or even better, a monocle.

Chris Wiz
2011-12-09, 09:41 AM
You know, I just registered for the forums today to say:

Tarquin. Is. Badass.

I laughed like a little girl at this episode. Thanks!

CloakedDancer
2011-12-09, 09:43 AM
Very nice. I like how this comic seems to take all reader viewpoints into account and addresses them so that there won't be any complaining later. Of course I'm sure someone will complain anyway.

Nevereatcars
2011-12-09, 09:45 AM
B-B-B-BUSTED!!!

Aedilred
2011-12-09, 09:56 AM
I'm starting to wonder whether Tarquin is actually the most dangerous character in the comic (that we've seen). Relative power level in comparison to Xykon is difficult to judge, but he seemed to be about as troubled by Elan's attack as Xykon was by Roy's. But, unlike Xykon, Tarquin is highly intelligent and has actual friends and allies as opposed to minions. He's also a far superior strategist.

Whatever the case, I'm totally loving him.

Jay R
2011-12-09, 09:59 AM

Yes, of course. Procedure is important, Elan. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0760.html)

rbetieh
2011-12-09, 10:08 AM
At this point, the only thing that might save Nale is Tarquin choosing him over Malack, which seems like a very poor and unlikely choice.

Or Sabine swoops in and takes the hit (and dies). This looks like the final unraveling of the linear guild. But, if the Heroes need a foil, then it behooves Tarquin to save one (although I realize, he doesn't know he needs to).

CelestialMagpie
2011-12-09, 10:16 AM
Or Sabine swoops in and takes the hit (and dies). This looks like the final unraveling of the linear guild. But, if the Heroes need a foil, then it behooves Tarquin to save one (although I realize, he doesn't know he needs to).

Or that woman who mistook Elan for Nale and joined Nale earlier backstabs Tarquin while the pair are leisurely hunting Nale down. Unless I'm forgetting something, I thought she was still running around looking for vengeance for her husband's murder.

That could potentially bad, though I can't imagine someone killing Tarquin in one hit.... except for the empress, and she's probably busy beefing up on bovines.

Morph Bark
2011-12-09, 10:21 AM
Tarquin. Pronounced "Tark-win". And he holds true to that.

JSSheridan
2011-12-09, 10:22 AM
Thanks Giant!

sims796
2011-12-09, 10:31 AM
Jeez, he's dumb.

Concept
2011-12-09, 10:32 AM
"This, of course, raises the question of why Tarquin sent the OOTS off"
He gave them a tiny scrap of (unverified) info, and they gave him their plans.

I don't think he intends to catch Nale at all, just taunt him for his foolishness and let him go. Although he did owe Malack a heads up that Nale was there, and Malack will cast true seeing and go for the kill, but that's Nale's problem.

I think Tarquin will be happy to let Nale run off to the canyon to implement the exact plan that Elan was worried Nale might think of. That's Elan's problem.

Or, if Nale stays to implement his plans to kill daddy, it has already been established that Tarquin has no objections to giving his sons enough time to come up with a scheme that actually can end his rule, as long as it makes for a good story. He's not going to make it easy, but he won't cut them down because they're a potential threat either.

"Mr. Burlew would have to work hard in order to make Xykon the main villain again, because Tarquin has set very high standards to our tastes."
It might not be that hard: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0736.html (last panel)

Moff Chumley
2011-12-09, 10:35 AM
You know what these means, right?

I will bet any and all takers a shiny nickel that Nale will ultimately kill Tarquin. *sagenod*

Onyavar
2011-12-09, 10:39 AM
Stopped reading on third page, don't care if anyone had the same idea before.

My guess is that Tarquin knows since ages that Nale's back in town: Not only did he capture Thog, he also must have seen through Polozius/Zz'dris illusion and Nale must be sneaking around in the palace for a long time. Tarquin also knows that Malack will kill Nale on sight.
Tarquin also wants to educate Nale, because he plans to have a successor or someone to ally with in case of an emergency. Tarquin just needs to establish his superiority so that Nale starts to accept his plans.
Tarquin loves and cares about both of his sons.

What I'm more curious about is, what Team Good will find at the windy valley: Girard and Orrin? Only Orrin? Only another plothook that will lead them to Orrin/Girard? A completely irrelevant plothook, just so that they're out of Tarquins hair? Maybe Ian and Geoff?

St Fan
2011-12-09, 10:42 AM

Ah, at least. None too soon. I was perusing all the posts to see if someone will finally mention this or not. I couldn't believe no-one else but me noticed this.

That's a good point, but Rich probably just forgot about that particular interaction.

How very little faith you have in the author. So far, the Giant never left any plot hole of this caliber, why would you think it could happen now?

No, unless Zzd'tri used something else than an illusion (ulikely), Tarquin knew about "Polozius" all along. Which means he had been expecting Nale's attack for a while already. Nale is so much outclassed by his father than it's (almost) not funny.

As a side note, I've never been so happy of my habit of always scrolling down the new page strip by strip instead of getting an overall view of it. It makes the final surprise so much more hilarious.

iTookUrNick
2011-12-09, 11:05 AM

Oh, very good thinking! Anyone else fells like commenting on the subject?

Edit: saw them...

Occasional Sage
2011-12-09, 11:05 AM
S*** just got real.

On one hand, I feel like Nale will try to bargain his information about the gates for his life. On the other, I don't see him walking out of this alive.

On the gripping hand, Nale is no longer important to keeping the Linear Guild together. The IFC controls it now, and can keep that plot going without him.

Only, you know... competent.

I've got to say that I'm disappointed in Malack. He should have cut off talking and actually *cast* True Seeing (or Invisibility Purge, or any of the slew of options) to take advantage of the surprise. Sigh.

Lynn
2011-12-09, 11:07 AM
An update always brightens my day, but this one made me feel funny inside, and then I had a stupid smile on my face for hours.:biggrin:

checking the OOTS on TV-Tropes. Yep. Someone already linked todays strip as an example of Magnificent Bastard.

Speaking of which, WriteAMagnificentBastard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAMagnificentBastard) warns that being a complete monster is usually incompatible with being a MB, but Tarquin proves that a villain can burn innocents alive,use all means of coercion to satisfy his whims, and generally (heh) commit all kind of atrocities, and still keep the "magnificent" part. All it takes is enough awesome.
And maybe a minimum of common ground with the reader. Tarquin has exactly one value that we can relate with: family. I don't think we could like him as much as we do if were he not such a loving and supportive father to Elan (in his twisted and manipulative way, but still).

If, as I suspect, he intends to give a chance to Nale, it will take his eating babies before I can hate him.

Adeptus
2011-12-09, 11:13 AM
That was utterly briliant! :belkar:

Nohar
2011-12-09, 11:19 AM
Well, first thing first : I love Tarquin ! :redface:

Now, the facts and speculation :
- Tarquin himself admitted he didn't know the reason for the OOTS to lie to him, but doesn't seems to care at this point. He wants the OOTS to take care of Nale's team and Orrin (+Girard?) Draketooth. Though at this point, I can't grasp his exact motives, since he knew that Nale hasn't escaped. Other than his motive to help Elan, he did say that it was in their best interest that they succeed... I can't help but think he kept an important information from the OOTS.
- Nale : it's not a good day to be reduced at 1 HP in a palace full of guards, while a high level cleric wants your hide. Tarquin shared with Malack that Nale still was in the palace, and pretty much said in front of him that he saw that Nale was still here (though he didn't say that Nale was standing next to him). Malack seems quite cultivated, but also seems to be a little slow on the uptake. I guess he will have understand what Tarquin just said to him when the next comic comes. Though, I'm beginning to wonder if he prepared "Detect Invisibility" or something like that...
I don't think that Tarquin will let his son escape. He doesn't really feel threatened by Nale. He may not want his death like Malack does, but it's pretty clear that he doesn't care about Nale : he sees him as a huge disappointment, and after being reunited with Elan, he couldn't care less about this son that tried to backstab him.
So, my guess is that he's toying with him, and wanted to twist the knife in the wound. He may want to capture and interrogate him though. Still, there's the possibility that he hopes to educate Nale, and will let him go. Malack wants him dead - as for Tarquin, it's up to debate.

So, what can save Nale now ? Pretty much nothing, since all his allies are incapacipated or fled (Sabine). Once cornered/captured, he may try to talk with Tarquin, though I highly doubt he'll be able to convince his father to release him. There would be a conflict of interest if Tarquin emprisonned Nale, since Malack wants him dead (badly).
No, really, unless Nale manages to escape, he's screwed. In fact, I think he must have a way to teleport himself out of there (we can call Nale a complete moron, but he's a crazy prepared moron : no way he didn't plan everything without an escape plan), but like Tarquin said, he's an egomaniac who probably wanted to hear what Tarquin would have to say about his little plan. He would have done it earlier without that.

Well, if Nale is captured, he's done for... Unless the IFFC acts in his favor by sending Qarr, though that would be a stretch. But we have to remind ourselves that the IFFC doesn't want any player to win : meddling in order to turn every player against another would be a plausible course of action (though they would have to share some informations with Tarquin... A man who knows much more than he let on).
Nay, this can't happen.

R. Shackleford
2011-12-09, 11:27 AM
Tarquin is awesome.

I really hope no bungle on the scale of Sapphire City ends up undoing him.

I'm not sure which way I want to see the next few pages go? Do we follow Nale and Tarquin or does the main plot FINALLY get back on track?

Burner28
2011-12-09, 11:50 AM
Nice!:smallsmile:

deuxhero
2011-12-09, 11:59 AM
Actually, Tarquin may not be letting Nale get a head start, leaving his threatened area will provoke an AoO, deadly to the Harmed Nale.

Kish
2011-12-09, 12:07 PM
If Nale has been wandering around Invisible and with one hit point instead of drinking healing potions or something before setting out to spy, Nale deserves the worst fate Malack could devise for him.

I mean, Nale does anyway, because he's vile, but...if he's that stupid, he deserves it all over again just for stupidity.

Sierim
2011-12-09, 12:07 PM
Glad I had set my drink aside just before reading this comic, because I literally lol'd when I got to the end. :smallbiggrin:

Well played, Giant.

Silverraptor
2011-12-09, 12:25 PM
Run Nale. RUN!:smallbiggrin:

morikahn
2011-12-09, 12:34 PM
I think this comic's title should be changed from 'Parental Insight' to 'Parental Supervision'.

ORione
2011-12-09, 12:42 PM
Now, the facts and speculation :
- Tarquin himself admitted he didn't know the reason for the OOTS to lie to him, but doesn't seems to care at this point. He wants the OOTS to take care of Nale's team and Orrin (+Girard?) Draketooth. Though at this point, I can't grasp his exact motives, since he knew that Nale hasn't escaped. Other than his motive to help Elan, he did say that it was in their best interest that they succeed... I can't help but think he kept an important information from the OOTS.

Strip 762, Panel 9 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0762.html). Although there may be more to it.

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-09, 12:42 PM
it's not a good day to be reduced at 1 HP
If Nale has been wandering around Invisible and with one hit point instead of drinking healing potions or something before setting out to spy, Nale deserves the worst fate Malack could devise for him.He has less scratches than he did in #811 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0811.html), so he definitely drank a potion off-panel. He also tidied his hair. :smalltongue:

I think this comic's title should be changed from 'Parental Insight' to 'Parental Supervision'.This is brilliant. :smallbiggrin:

Joe22c
2011-12-09, 12:46 PM
Run Nale, Run!

rbetieh
2011-12-09, 12:47 PM
If, as I suspect, he intends to give a chance to Nale, it will take his eating babies before I can hate him.

I suspect he has done this already in the past, based on what Malack says. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0723.html) The question is how many second chances does Tarquin give?

Dr. Gamera
2011-12-09, 12:56 PM
And Nale can still cast Dimension Door.

... unless he's out of all 4th-level-or-higher spell slots for the day, which is perhaps the answer to the question "why wasn't Dimension Door Nale's first action in the last panel?"

rewinn
2011-12-09, 01:04 PM
It might be interesting to see what Tarquin's Anti-Invisible Intruder Protocol might be.

1. Close all doors
2. Turn all Nightingale Floors to Extra Squeaky
3. Systematically go through all rooms and corridors with nets held by guards hugging the walls
4. Call out the hounds (...assuming invisibility doesn't deaden smell...)

Dimension door and similar spells would complicate the situation, but part of the point of the Protocol would be to make the intruder burn though his spells. Sooner or later he'll run out or slip up!

Or ... you can just send an Angry High Priest after him. Someone who'll use True Seeing to kill him, then raise him and then kill him again over and over until he's out of spells (except for Speak With Dead ... that skull over Maleck's fireplace is going to serve a purpose - "Alas Poor Nale, I Knew Him Well!").

AutomatedTeller
2011-12-09, 01:18 PM
Awesome comic.

Why do I feel sorry for Nale, all of a sudden?

I'm not convinced Tarquin wants Nale dead - it would have been easy for him to kill Nale right then, but he made a classic evil overlord mistake, and I don't know that he does that by accident. I agree - he wants something from Nale and it isn't his death.

KoboldRevenge
2011-12-09, 02:19 PM
I wonder how he fits so many rings onto his hand.:smalltongue: He's bound to have more that help him become god-player!

Turgon9357
2011-12-09, 02:38 PM
While coming up with crackpot theories about what will happen next, I thought of Nale's bounty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0715.html). It seems that Tarquin, who was certainly involved in issuing the bounty, considers the death of Nale an acceptable option (albeit far less lucrative to a bounty hunter). Also, Nale's bounty was flagged (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0718.html) to go right upstairs for fiery consumption, an event that Tarquin, even if notified, might be too late to intervene in.

Therefore, I would not be especially surprised if Tarquin allowed Malack to immolate Nale, or even aided in the process. Yes, Nale is Tarquin's son. But he also threatens the security of the Empire (in his own incompetent way), has defied Tarquin's will rather strenuously (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html), and is an embarrassment. As much as we've grown to love Tarquin, this man is still a monster (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0759.html). He has run over many people to get where he is, I'm not expecting him to stop, especially now, considering that he has another option regarding his future. He doesn't need Nale to succeed him if Elan overthrows him in a far more memorable and legendary (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0763.html) fashion, which he seemed fairly comfortable with.

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-09, 02:44 PM
Strangely enough, I'm starting to like Tarquin. Detest and like him at the same time. I suppose that like an inaccurate description -- "respect", sadly, is probably more like it.

2xMachina
2011-12-09, 02:50 PM
I think Tarquin is smart. Somehow, bragging will be All Part of the Plan

Vectner
2011-12-09, 03:05 PM
I wish one of my deceased wives would have given me a ring of true seeing.

hamishspence
2011-12-09, 03:05 PM
Strangely enough, I'm starting to like Tarquin. Detest and like him at the same time. I suppose that like an inaccurate description -- "respect", sadly, is probably more like it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveToHate

probably fits closest.

WickedWizard17
2011-12-09, 03:07 PM
. . . 8D

Pure, utter win. I love you, Tarquin. Well, see the previous post for exactly how I love him. That is freakin' hilarious. And I love the genre savviness.

Also, I think Penelope giving Tarquin such a lovely birthday presents means that they didn't hate each other. Unless, of course, if she hadn't she would have been killed . . .

Fantastic comment, Giant. Love the quick updates this week!

St Fan
2011-12-09, 03:18 PM
I wonder how he fits so many rings onto his hand.:smalltongue: He's bound to have more that help him become god-player!

A character can wears up to two magic rings (one on each hand) with them staying functional. The only other ring that has been mentionned is a Ring of Regeneration. With the Ring of True Seeing that makes two, nothing surprising at all for a high-level character.

I don't see what you're implying by talking about god-playing. Tarquin's strenght comes from his smarts, genre-saviness and strategic mind. Magical items have very little to do with anything.

derfenrirwolv
2011-12-09, 03:39 PM
Say it with me kids....

Invisibility purrrrrrrrrrrge!

Beowulf DW
2011-12-09, 04:16 PM
"It's that moment of sudden realization that I live for."
-Hobbes the tiger

Whiffet
2011-12-09, 04:19 PM
-Hobbes the tiger

Yeah, pretty much. :smallbiggrin:

Good quote for this strip.

recluso
2011-12-09, 04:22 PM
Tarquin said a lot in 819 just for Nale.

So why would he want Nale to hear:

For example i could say that i know because Nale is a cautious planner - and did not take the opportunity to leave the city even after learning whatever it was he learned via my dead departed Penelope. His team was stronger then that it is now, so i might have concluded that he will not depart until he's recruited replacements?

These lines don't humiliate Nale or impress Malack.
This sounds sorta like an instruction/hint to Nale.
If it is meant as hint, Tarquin actually thinks Nale is not really a cautious planner and needs to be reminded he'll need new recruits (maybe Tarquin has a couple ready)

If it is an instruction, it's likely Tarquin wants a showdown between Elan and Nale.

Holy_Knight
2011-12-09, 04:29 PM
-Hobbes the tiger

I believe it's "dawning comprehension", actually.

Beowulf DW
2011-12-09, 04:29 PM
Yeah, pretty much. :smallbiggrin:

Good quote for this strip.

I thought so, too. Can't believe I remember it after all this time.

I believe it's "dawning comprehension", actually.

Oh. Maybe I didn't remember it after all that time, then.

Peelee
2011-12-09, 04:44 PM
While coming up with crackpot theories about what will happen next, I thought of Nale's bounty (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0715.html). It seems that Tarquin, who was certainly involved in issuing the bounty, considers the death of Nale an acceptable option (albeit far less lucrative to a bounty hunter). Also, Nale's bounty was flagged (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0718.html) to go right upstairs for fiery consumption, an event that Tarquin, even if notified, might be too late to intervene in.

You mean the flag that Tarquin himself put on the file (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0723.html)? It was not flagged for fiery consumption, merely flagged to be brought to the throne room. Paying more for a live bounty, only to immediately kill the captured yourself, seems like a bit of hedonistic revenge that Tarquin wouldn't necessarily waste his time on. I'm more thinking Tarquin wanted Nale sent to the throne room for reasons other than "let the dragon eat him."

Vectner
2011-12-09, 04:59 PM
If it is an instruction, it's likely Tarquin wants a showdown between Elan and Nale.

A showdown would benefit Tarquin, he doesn't want to waste anymore resources on Nale and Elan has sworn to kill him (Tarquin). I would bet hat he waits for a showdown, if they both kill each other he wins, otherwise Tarquin can mop up the winner easily.

brionl
2011-12-09, 05:13 PM
A showdown would benefit Tarquin, he doesn't want to waste anymore resources on Nale and Elan has sworn to kill him (Tarquin). I would bet hat he waits for a showdown, if they both kill each other he wins, otherwise Tarquin can mop up the winner easily.

Yep, either way Tarquin wins. Like now, if Nale manages to escape Malack, he'll be a more worthy opponent for later on. If Malack nails Nale, Malack will be happy, and Tarquin will have one less problem running around loose.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-09, 05:25 PM
Yep, either way Tarquin wins. Like now, if Nale manages to escape Malack, he'll be a more worthy opponent for later on. If Malack nails Nale, Malack will be happy, and Tarquin will have one less problem running around loose.
I'm not convinced Tarquin [believes he] has problems. If "everything they do makes my victory more complete," they have ceased to be my problems and become my assets.

Blaznak
2011-12-09, 05:34 PM
Gotta love the Ring of True Seeing! Wheee!

EnragedFilia
2011-12-09, 06:06 PM
For bonus LOLing, turn on Yakety Sax at panel 10!

Immonen
2011-12-09, 06:22 PM
I think this is the best strip I've read so far. Tarquin is so awesome, it's easy to see where Nale got his bardic knowledge from.

t209
2011-12-09, 06:48 PM
Tarquin's epic genre savviness!

Mr. Scaly
2011-12-09, 07:02 PM
Oh Tarquin...you are the wind beneath my wings! :smallbiggrin:

Double bonus! I get to see one of my favourite villains make with the Magnificent Bastard routine. And I get to see another villain who never shuts up...get shut up. Everybody wins!

Toofey
2011-12-09, 07:09 PM
Awesome. I actually lolled.

I love true seeing so much that I would cheat on dimension door with it.

(family of groups uses a VERY house ruled dimension door)

Math_Mage
2011-12-09, 07:23 PM
Tarquin said a lot in 819 just for Nale.

So why would he want Nale to hear:

For example i could say that i know because Nale is a cautious planner - and did not take the opportunity to leave the city even after learning whatever it was he learned via my dead departed Penelope. His team was stronger then that it is now, so i might have concluded that he will not depart until he's recruited replacements?

These lines don't humiliate Nale or impress Malack.
This sounds sorta like an instruction/hint to Nale.
If it is meant as hint, Tarquin actually thinks Nale is not really a cautious planner and needs to be reminded he'll need new recruits (maybe Tarquin has a couple ready)

Lulling Nale into a false sense of complacency.

It's my considered opinion that Tarquin doesn't want a showdown with Nale to impede Elan from his current quest, since it's in Tarquin's interest that Elan and co. succeed rather than fail. Of course, if Tarquin has his fingers in the main quest pie as well, all bets are off.

oddtail
2011-12-09, 08:03 PM
I think this comic's title should be changed from 'Parental Insight' to 'Parental Supervision'.

Awesome idea, I agree. "Parental Insight" works too, but "Parental Supervision" actually made me chuckle.

Scarlet Knight
2011-12-09, 08:14 PM

He may be like Haley's Dad: 2nd edition. That means up to 10 rings!

EnragedFilia
2011-12-09, 08:23 PM

Objection!
Her daddy has been clearly stated to be a first edition thief (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html)!

And if that sort of grandfather clause could fly around here, V would be using his transmutation-school teleport and many things would be much easier. I find it perfectly plausible that Tarquin has an arbitrary number of rings but only wears two at a time, swapping them in and out as the situation demands.

Kish
2011-12-09, 09:08 PM
I find it perfectly plausible that Tarquin has an arbitrary number of rings but only wears two at a time, swapping them in and out as the situation demands.
There are few rings I'd choose to wear above a Ring of True Seeing.

EnragedFilia
2011-12-09, 09:35 PM
There are few rings I'd choose to wear above a Ring of True Seeing.

Likewise, unless I happened to have one of these (http://ddowiki.com/page/Sandstorm_Glasses).

As an aside, passive true seeing can be highly useful in that game at some levels, but becomes largely irrelevant by endgame simply because in any quest where true seeing is useful, casters generally know to pass it out before starting.

Zolem
2011-12-09, 09:38 PM
Tarquin, you magnificent bastard! I want to read your book! Great comic.

I want I signed copy.

Forikroder
2011-12-09, 10:26 PM

he didnt want to send them off per se but had no way to convince them to stay without revealing he knew Nale was there pre-mature

since they were convinced he was heading to windy canyon they would hurry there ASAP and Tarquin would have no way to stop them short of force or by severly hampering there mission

Arakune
2011-12-09, 10:28 PM
Tarquin is way too competent for a mere subplot villain. The Giant subverting another narrative convention?

Poppy Appletree
2011-12-09, 10:36 PM

Dang, I was about to post that.

FlawedParadigm
2011-12-09, 10:44 PM
Run, Nale, run, outrun my pun.
Better run, better run, faster than my cleric...

ericgrau
2011-12-09, 10:44 PM
Tarquin is way too competent for a mere subplot villain. The Giant subverting another narrative convention?

In case you haven't noticed, Tarquin seems to know about and makes plans to prevent all the tropes.

Chad30
2011-12-09, 11:11 PM
That is easily the funniest strip I've seen in a while. I like Tarquin. He's becoming one of my favorite villains.

cyberchihuahua
2011-12-10, 12:04 AM
If there is ever an OoTS movie, I vote Patrick Stewart for Tarquin.

DrivinAllNight
2011-12-10, 12:15 AM
a strip that did a great job of adding to the story and delivering the best punch line in a long time :) , love the invisaNale running for dear life :smallsmile:

Zolem
2011-12-10, 12:27 AM
In case you haven't noticed, Tarquin seems to know about and makes plans to prevent all the tropes.

Well, just the ones he doesn't like. Evil is cool like that.:smallcool:

:roy: Your admiration makes me wonder just a little bit less why so many turn to evil.

:smallconfused:Um, actually, I consistently test Neutral Good. I just appreciate style.

Toper
2011-12-10, 01:42 AM
+1

eight more characters

luc258
2011-12-10, 06:40 AM
The big question right now is:
Will Tarquin let Nale escape or is he going to give chase?
Because if he lets him run i would really wonder what Tarquin's plan with Nale is.

Armadeo
2011-12-10, 08:27 AM

Penelope was Tarquin's 9th wife, it was his 8th wife that purged the Evil components out of the castle's hair products. If anything it could be argued that she was anything but a decent person. Every other one of Tarquin's wives mentioned thus far have had some issues with him or his alignment. Penelope is the first one revealed so far to show no indication of having a dislike for Tarquin (though to be fair, for all we know about Tarquin's 8th wife she could have simply purged the evil components due to what they did to her hair, and not because she had any moral compunctions about using them).

I do agree with you that Tarquin probably had nothing to do with her death. Though we have little information regarding their marriage, evidence so far suggests that they were happily married, or at least content with one another to the extent that neither tried to divorce and/or kill the other.

Ashadar
2011-12-10, 08:45 AM
Remember when Elan and Tarquin first met? Tarquin asked Elan if he'd defeated any villains. Elan asked him if Nale counts, to which Tarquin responded "Eh.. Not really."

Now I know why.

snikrept
2011-12-10, 09:43 AM
Note that Malack still doesn't know Nale is right there at that moment.

By talking about Nale's vulnerability in general terms Tarquin can make things worse for both Malack and Nale. Well played mr. villain sir !

danc
2011-12-10, 10:08 AM
over the strips that tarquin has been present he has gradually become my favorite character. I do hope he doesnt vanish into the background too far after this arc.

Caractacus
2011-12-10, 10:42 AM
he didnt want to send them off per se but had no way to convince them to stay without revealing he knew Nale was there pre-mature

Nale certainly has a lot of growing-up to do, if that's what you mean... :smallwink:

St Fan
2011-12-10, 11:34 AM

Excuse me? I'm pretty sure the rule limit to two magic rings had always been in place in 2nd edition already, and probably even in 1st.

If you had ever known a GM allowing 10 magic rings, then you had a serious tool on your hands.

Me, as an old-school Dungeon Master, I can tell you that if any player had tried such a stunt in my game, his character would probably have lost about 8 out of 10 fingers rather quick.

Messenger
2011-12-10, 11:36 AM
Sigh. While various logical reasons for Tarquin letting Nale go (in this) update have been pointed out (and none of them seem wrong or even unlikely), I'm sure part of Tarquin letting Nale run off like that is because of the former's love for the dramatic.

I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale. Nale is just such an annoying character. No matter the threat he poses (to Elan, to Tarquin, to the Order, to the world!) or the cunning and cruelty he's shown, he just doesn't compare with any of the other villains. Sure, he adds and pushes the story along, but he's just such an irritating character. :smallyuk:

Compare him to his father: Tarquin is truly, horrifyingly Lawful Evil, an amazingly competent, intelligent, charming and dangerous adventurer, and yet also the World's Most Awesome Dad all rolled into one. He's such a deep, compelling and admirable character. We loved him when we finally got to meet him in the flesh, shared Elan's terror at realizing his true character and power, then loved him again in the previous update.

Nale is nowhere near any of that despite his high levels and intimate involvement in the plot as a side antagonist (where Xykon is the main). He pops up to complicate things (which, I admit, fleshes the story out more) but nothing more. It's so hard to appreciate him despite the antagonism he provides.

If only Tarquin would finally end him by taking away his one remaining hit point. But no, Tarquin will most likely not. :smallannoyed:

Kareasint
2011-12-10, 11:39 AM
... unless he's out of all 4th-level-or-higher spell slots for the day, which is perhaps the answer to the question "why wasn't Dimension Door Nale's first action in the last panel?"

Another reason is that it draws a circle (range of spell) that Nale is definitely inside of. Malack is going to be ready if Nale shows himself again.

Thoughtbot360
2011-12-10, 11:45 AM
RUN, NALE!

Use your scrawny little stick legs!

Sith_Happens
2011-12-10, 12:48 PM
I do agree with you that Tarquin probably had nothing to do with her death. Though we have little information regarding their marriage, evidence so far suggests that they were happily married, or at least content with one another to the extent that neither tried to divorce and/or kill the other.

...At least until she told him that she was going to try and find her first husband. One of the few things Tarquin seems to have in common with Nale (besides the evil, of course), is his willingness to take disproportionate revenge over quasi-imagined slights (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html).

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-10, 12:51 PM
...At least until she told him that she was going to try and find her first husband. One of the few things Tarquin seems to have in common with Nale (besides the evil, of course), is his willingness to take disproportionate revenge over quasi-imagined slights (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html).
Except when he doesn't. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0785.html)

Sith_Happens
2011-12-10, 01:54 PM
Except when he doesn't. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0785.html)

For all we know a contingent of guards has already tracked down Enor and Ganji and filled them with poisoned crossbow bolts. Remember, he appeared to take it well enough (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0724.html) the first time one of them tried to pull something on him.

Tobimaro
2011-12-10, 02:58 PM
A Ring of True Seeing. This has to be a very expensive item, and the only person who can make one is surely in the dungeons of the Empire of Blood. After all, Tarquin would not want the secret of that item to fall into the hands of every two-bit adventurer (or even Nale).

Tarquin's smugness is the product of the fact that he is so sure of himself. And rightfully so. :smallcool:

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-10, 03:18 PM
For some reason, I can see this happening:

-Nale escapes and is like, "Mwahahaha, the fool!"
-Tarquin goes all "Everything is going according to plan."
-Cut to Tarquin being on a TV and:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6306/nero.png Aw, it's so sad how he thinks he's such a chess master.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/279/cedrick.png Oh look, a finger pyramid of evil contemplation! How cute.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3227/leedsg.png I'd pity him if I weren't made of pure evil.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting sick of all this Tarquin love.

Peelee
2011-12-10, 04:45 PM
Maybe it's just because I'm getting sick of all this Tarquin love.

The Tarquin love I don't mind, but all the "ZOMG genre saviness!!!1!one!" is really getting to me. There's at least half a dozen mentions of that in this thread alone, despite that the strip has NOTHING to do with genre conventions and is purely knowing his son and tactical thinking. I'm starting to think if "genre savvy" is code on these boards for "every possible reason anything happens" or something.

Zorgophlats
2011-12-10, 07:21 PM
The Tarquin love I don't mind, but all the "ZOMG genre saviness!!!1!one!" is really getting to me. There's at least half a dozen mentions of that in this thread alone, despite that the strip has NOTHING to do with genre conventions and is purely knowing his son and tactical thinking. I'm starting to think if "genre savvy" is code on these boards for "every possible reason anything happens" or something.

Don't complain too much, or the posters might go with "Deus ex Machina" all over again.

Zevox
2011-12-10, 08:21 PM
Try reading the first three panels again - there's plenty of genre savvy right there.

Zevox

Incom
2011-12-10, 10:05 PM
Guys, we know that Tarquin and Sons are basically the ultimate tropers--do you really think Tarq is gonna steal Malack's kill?

I'm expecting some sort of 1HP cherry-tap so that our (other :durkon:) cleric friend can do the honors.

McDouggal
2011-12-10, 11:59 PM
Tarquin is made of win. There is no other explanation. I want to see a fight between him/his army vs. Xykon/Xykon's army.

Not to see who would win, but to see who's superior.

Jay R
2011-12-11, 11:05 AM
Tarquin is made of win. There is no other explanation. I want to see a fight between him/his army vs. Xykon/Xykon's army.

Not to see who would win, but to see who's superior.

This misses the point of how Tarquin operates. He doesn't have an army; he just leads one. One possible scenario is this:

Xykon's army fights the Empress's army. Xykon kills the Empress and the empire of Blood becomes Xykon's Empire of Fear. Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest. Xykon, thinking it's his own idea, sends Redcloak and the goblins to the Windy Valley. Redcloak is killed. The leaderless goblins are attacked by the old Empire of Tears (now the Empire of Surprise), and are saved by the new leaders of the old Empire of Sweat. Gratefully, they accept their place in that empire, now re-named the Empire of Ruthless Efficiency.

In a year or two, Hinjo's army comes in and attacks Xykon's...

Gusion
2011-12-11, 12:13 PM
As I have stated before, it is more practical for evil people to surround themselves with (lawful) neutral ones, whose loyalty will not be easily overcome by sadism, ego or greed.

I agree with this completely - which is another reason I argue that Malack is actually a LN alignment.

FlawedParadigm
2011-12-11, 03:43 PM
I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.

Welcome to sighood. Hope you don't mind.

Lynn
2011-12-11, 04:00 PM
This misses the point of how Tarquin operates. He doesn't have an army; he just leads one. One possible scenario is this:

Xykon's army fights the Empress's army. Xykon kills the Empress and the empire of Blood becomes Xykon's Empire of Fear. Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest.
I agree up to this point.

Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest.
Xykon is way to Chaotic, unpredictable and, worse of all, smart, for Tarquin to use as a figurehead. Tarquin would rather contact Elan and pull of an Enemy Mine to get rid of Xykon. Then he would disguise a random skeletal undead as Xykon. There is no better figurehead than one without free will.

veti
2011-12-11, 04:57 PM
Excuse me? I'm pretty sure the rule limit to two magic rings had always been in place in 2nd edition already, and probably even in 1st.

Correct, that rule was in 1e AD&D.

Me, as an old-school Dungeon Master, I can tell you that if any player had tried such a stunt in my game, his character would probably have lost about 8 out of 10 fingers rather quick.

I'd just rule that at any given moment, any given ring has a 90% chance of not working. (80% really, but chuck in an extra 10% for showing off.) Easier to play.

Back to the comic: if Tarquin has known all along that the Order were together (which doesn't surprise me, they gave him enough clues), how does that affect our perception of his claim not to have known that Nale was infesting the place? He'd seen Thog, he should have seen Zz'dtri and probably Sabine if he's been using True Seeing on a regular basis.

Did he deliberately used the Order to flush Nale out? If so, what was his plan before they unexpectedly turned up on his doorstep?

t209
2011-12-11, 05:13 PM

Xykon's army fights the Empress's army. Xykon kills the Empress and the empire of Blood becomes Xykon's Empire of Fear. Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest. Xykon, thinking it's his own idea, sends Redcloak and the goblins to the Windy Valley. Redcloak is killed. The leaderless goblins are attacked by the old Empire of Tears (now the Empire of Surprise), and are saved by the new leaders of the old Empire of Sweat. Gratefully, they accept their place in that empire, now re-named the Empire of Ruthless Efficiency.

In a year or two, Hinjo's army comes in and attacks Xykon's...
And Hinjo could be puppet leader for Tarquin or the elves since he needed them for military might unless he ally with possible tribes in southern continent (like Mongolian skyrim Nords).

ORione
2011-12-11, 06:02 PM
Back to the comic: if Tarquin has known all along that the Order were together (which doesn't surprise me, they gave him enough clues), how does that affect our perception of his claim not to have known that Nale was infesting the place? He'd seen Thog, he should have seen Zz'dtri and probably Sabine if he's been using True Seeing on a regular basis.

Maybe he wasn't using True Seeing regularly. He could have been using different rings, then switched when they went into Infiltration Protocal.

veti
2011-12-11, 08:23 PM
Maybe he wasn't using True Seeing regularly. He could have been using different rings, then switched when they went into Infiltration Protocal.

Of course that's possible. It's just that the RoTS opens up a new set of possibilities and probabilities that weren't (obviously, at least) on the table before.

Belril Duskwalk
2011-12-11, 08:53 PM
I'd just rule that at any given moment, any given ring has a 90% chance of not working. (80% really, but chuck in an extra 10% for showing off.) Easier to play.

Which is actually lenient next to the rules that are written for AD&D. By the rules, if you wear more than 2 magic rings there is a 100% chance that none will work at every given moment. :smallwink:

Although I do recall a magic item or two that could be worn that could allow you to wear equip yet another magic ring and have all work at once.

DaOldeWolf
2011-12-11, 10:13 PM
An amazing chapter. I loved the insight Tarquin gave about Nale just before the exposure. He really is always prepared.

dtilque
2011-12-12, 12:02 AM
I agree up to this point.

Xykon is way to Chaotic, unpredictable and, worse of all, smart, for Tarquin to use as a figurehead.

Also, way too high level. Tarquin wants low level saps who won't put up too much of a fight when it's time to replace them with the next figurehead.

Sith_Happens
2011-12-12, 02:48 AM
Also, way too high level. Tarquin wants low level saps who won't put up too much of a fight when it's time to replace them with the next figurehead.

And before anyone comments that the Empress doesn't fit this description, yes, she actually does. Based on the fact that she doesn't have any spells yet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html), she is at most a Very Young red dragon and therefore a CR 5. At this point even Elan could probably solo her. Although her larger-than-average qualities probably give her quite a bonus to her HP and crush damage...

Freelancer Jack
2011-12-12, 03:06 AM
Truly chaotic evil men are not insane. they are cold, tactical, and brutal. they will fight their enemy with years of experience and with every resource available to them.

Nale has none of these. making him a poor villain.

His farther does. but he exercises restraint. I think he may be lawful evil. this makes him a lovable villain. lovable villains are the best. you hate them, but you understand why they do what they do.

rbetieh
2011-12-12, 09:04 AM

Maybe he's using Fantasy Batmans fancy utili-ring which automatically equips the right ring on his other ring finger 1 round before he was going to need it?