PDA

View Full Version : A Gunslinger Build for Pathfinder Society

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-09, 04:54 AM
Lately I've been trying to piece together a Gunslinger build that might be worth playing...and thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone has any recommendations for it.
Race: Halfling
- Swift as Shadows
- Underfoot
Ability Scores:
Str: 10 -> 8
Dex: 14 -> 16
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 10
Cha: 16 -> 18

Level|Class| BAB |Fort|Ref|Will|Skills|Class Features|Feats
1 | Gunslinger (1) | +1 | +2 | +2 | +0 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Craft (Alchemy), Stealth | Deeds (Deadeye, Focused Aim, Gunslinger's Dodge), Grit, Mysterious Stranger | Gunsmith, Dodge
2 | Rogue (1) | +1 | +2 | +4 | +0 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist Linguistics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Accuracy, Sneak Attack +1d6, Sniper, Scout | None
3 | Rogue (2) | +2 | +2 | +5 | +0 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device (2) | Evasion, Rogue Talent (Firearm Training)* | Mobility
4 | Rogue (3) | +3 | +3 | +5 | +1 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Linguistics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Sneak Attack +2d6, Deadly Range +10ft. | None
5 | Rogue (4) | +4 | +4 | +6 | +1 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Linguistics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Scout's Charge, Rogue Talent (Grit) | Amateur Gunslinger, Deft Shootist Deed, Rapid Reload (Double-Barreled Pistol)
6 | Ranger (1) | +5 | +6 | +8 | +1 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Favored Enemy, Improved Tracking, Track, Trophy Hunter | None
7 | Rogue (5) | +5 | +6 | +8 | +1 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Linguistics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Sneak Attack +3d6 | *
8 | Rogue (6) | +6 | +7 | +9 | +2 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Linguistics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Deadly Range +20ft., Rogue Talent | None
9 | Rogue (7) | +7 | +7 | +9 | +2 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Linguistics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Sneak Attack +4d6 | *
10 | Rogue (8) | +8 | +7 | +9 | +2 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Escape Artist, Linguistics, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Rogue Talent, Skirmisher | None
11 | Ranger (2) | +9 | +8 | +10 | +2 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Deed (Quick Clear), Firearm Style | Amateur Gunslinger, *
12 | Gunslinger (2) | +10 | +9 | +11 | +2 | Acrobatics, Bluff, Stealth, Use Magic Device | Lucky +1 | None

Psyren
2011-12-09, 10:03 AM
Can you fit in a little more Gunslinger? GS 5 is a great breakpoint for Dex to damage rolls.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-09, 02:38 PM
The primary problem with adding more Gunslinger levels is the loss of Skirmisher.

RndmNumGen
2011-12-09, 02:44 PM
You could consider swapping out some Rogue levels for some Alchemist levels with the Vivisectionist Archetype. That will advance Sneak Attack progression while giving you some arcane extracts to use as buffs. If you combine your Mutagen with a Cat's Grace extract you can get +8 to Dexterity for a several minutes.

EDIT: What does Skirmisher do? I can't seem to find it on the PFSRD.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-09, 02:55 PM
At 8th level, whenever a scout moves more than 10 feet in a round and makes an attack action, the attack deals sneak attack damage as if the target was flat-footed. If the scout makes more than one attack this turn, this ability only applies to the first attack. Foes with uncanny dodge are immune to this ability.

This ability replaces improved uncanny dodge.

Source (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/scout)

I'm not sure it would be worth the trade...
(though, a higher to hit is always nice)

[Edit]
Does anyone know what sort of penalties I would take if I decided to take two-weapon fighting (for pistols)?

grarrrg
2011-12-09, 09:08 PM
You need Improved Critical.
Doubles your chances of regaining Grit.

Also, Deadly Aim, the loss of to-hit won't be missed (Touch AC!), and the extra damage is very nice.

I'm not sure it would be worth the trade...
(though, a higher to hit is always nice)

[Edit]
Does anyone know what sort of penalties I would take if I decided to take two-weapon fighting (for pistols)?

I have yet to see a definitive ruling on whether Pistols are "light" weapons (-2 penalty) or "non-light" weapons (-4 penalty).

If you DO take two-weapon fighting, then I'd suggest cramming 2 levels of Vivisectionist Alchemist in there and using the Discovery to get an Extra Arm (for reloading).
This would also open you up to taking either more Alchemist, or the Extra Discovery feat to grow another Arm (and possibly a Tentacle as well).
4 GUNS BLAZING!

[shameless plug mode]
Feel free to check out the Gunslinger Handbook link in my signature. I have 3 different Gundolon builds suggested (you'd be most interested in the Algunist build on page...3?)
[/shameless plug]

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-09, 09:55 PM
Thank you for the recommendations concerning the feats (I think Deadly Aim will be particularly useful), but I fear that the Gundalon and Algunist may require more levels than I have available (due to the limits of Society). And, it is unfortunate that there aren't any specifications on dual-wielding guns...I do hope that none of the DMs I encounter rules in favor of non-light. As for the matter of reloading, I was planning on using weapon chords so that I could constantly drop and retrieve the guns as needed.

grarrrg
2011-12-09, 10:26 PM
but I fear that the Gundalon and Algunist may require more levels than I have available (due to the limits of Society)..... As for the matter of reloading, I was planning on using weapon chords so that I could constantly drop and retrieve the guns as needed.

That's right, Society stops at level 12 doesn't it?
There are ways to make a lower level Algunist, but not if you're spending 8 levels on Skirmisher Rogue.

Also, keep in mind that Skirmisher Sneak damage only applies to the FIRST attack in a round, so Dual-wielding won't help (much).

Finally, Weapon Cords require a Swift action to retrieve the weapon, so you can only do this Once-Per-Round.
An alternate option would be the Quick-Draw feat, and a Wand of Reloading Hands (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/reloading-hands) (it's on the Ranger list), but make sure you get one with a decent Caster Level, as it only lasts 1 round/level.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-10, 02:26 AM
My plan was to use Skirmisher for situations that could not be solved by hiding and full-attacking (using the sniping option from stealth). And I realize that for swift actions as well, but my counter was to only drop a weapon (willingly) once per round in order to reload or take the Quick Draw feat if I happen to have an extra feat slot.
Though...I think in most cases the single swift action can be taken in-between the individual attacks for a full attack so it should be fine...

Cieyrin
2011-12-10, 10:57 AM
One problem I see with the build is the Trophy Hunter archetype isn't legal in Society. The only one that is is the Rogue talents.

I should also point out a specific word in Amateur Gunslinger.

If you gain levels in a class that grants the grit class feature, you can immediately trade this feat for the Extra Grit feat.

Meaning you can keep the feat and the Deed it opens up, plus 1 extra grit, which seems like a better bargain than Extra Grit, anyways. The Rogue Talent Grit grants the feat, regardless of meeting the prerequisite of not having grit previously, meaning you can get Quick Clear or Up Close and Personal or whatever you want with Amateur Gunslinger. What I'd do to get ASAP is either have as your 3rd level feat Extra Rogue Talent so you pick up both Firearm Training and Grit at the same level so you're not just sitting there with a useless Talent. Your free Grit feat can be Extra Grit there, so you can keep Focused Shot going.

Alternatively, from playing my PFS Gunslinger up to 3rd, I can tell you that, surprisingly, Rapid Reload isn't as important on a Pistol wielder, provided you use Alchemical Cartridges (You have that rank in Craft(Alchemy) for half price cartridges, right?), at least till you get an iterative or Rapid Shot. It also doesn't lock you into only pistols if you want to pursue a Double-Barreled or Pepperbox, which are the superior guns. Meaning you can build up towards Deft Shootist early on or pick up Point Blank (which is going to be a bonus on your attacks all the time as a Pistol user, so its not that bad as it would be for anybody else).

Hope this helps and happy blowing peoples blocks off! :smallbiggrin:

grarrrg
2011-12-10, 08:52 PM
One problem I see with the build is the Trophy Hunter archetype isn't legal in Society.

*cough* 2 levels of Alchemist, grow an extra arm (or two), and dual+ wield the crap out of it, while simultaneously solving your reloading problems *cough cough*

Cieyrin
2011-12-10, 09:44 PM
*cough* 2 levels of Alchemist, grow an extra arm (or two), and dual+ wield the crap out of it, while simultaneously solving your reloading problems *cough cough*

That doesn't make you reload faster, that just enables multigun fighting. Or get you Quick Clear so you don't blow your gun up.

grarrrg
2011-12-10, 10:36 PM
That doesn't make you reload faster, that just enables multigun fighting. Or get you Quick Clear so you don't blow your gun up.

It doesn't get you Quick Clear, true. But Trophy hunter is not an option, and replacing Ranger with Alchemist doesn't interfere with the Rogue levels at all, so the Rogue Talent route is still open.

Cieyrin
2011-12-10, 11:22 PM
It doesn't get you Quick Clear, true. But Trophy hunter is not an option, and replacing Ranger with Alchemist doesn't interfere with the Rogue levels at all, so the Rogue Talent route is still open.

Oh, I see what you mean, now. Replace Ranger in provided build with Alchemist for more arms. Gotcha.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-11, 06:48 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/200whs1.jpg
Hmm...I had been under the assumption that Double-Barrels were considered part of the "Pistol" category, thus not requiring an additional feat to speed up the process. However, if that is true, then I'll take Dodge and Mobility before Rapid Reload. In either event, because of feat restrictions, I'll still be stuck with taking Deft Shootist Deed at fifth level due to being a Hafling.

[Edit]
Currently, would it be recommended to take two levels of Alchemist or two levels of Rogue in place of the Ranger levels?

Cieyrin
2011-12-11, 06:56 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/200whs1.jpg
Hmm...I had been under the assumption that Double-Barrels were considered part of the "Pistol" category, thus not requiring an additional feat to speed up the process. However, if that is true, then I'll take Dodge and Mobility before Rapid Reload. In either event, because of feat restrictions, I'll still be stuck with taking Deft Shootist Deed at fifth level due to being a Hafling.

Unfortunately not. The only group part about firearms is getting proficiency initially. After that, Rapid Reload, Weapon Focus, etc. is on a gun by gun basis. In a non-PFS campaign, it would be a reasonable house rule in my book for double-barreled and single-barreled to share but it's unfortunately not written that way. I discovered this with the Dragon Pistol I just picked up that my Rapid Reload(Pistol) doesn't apply to anything else the hard way.

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-11, 07:01 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/qn1lqa.jpg
Then I shall switch the order in which feats are obtained!