PDA

View Full Version : Paladin boost adjustment (3.5 Core, PEACH)

Yitzi
2011-12-09, 01:22 PM
As part of my general Core fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215952), I posted a boost for paladins and fighters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224850), but it was pointed out that the paladin's Smite Evil is still too weak, and I agree, so I'm improving it.

This takes the place of the previously planned bonus fighter feats the paladin was to get at levels 5, 11, and 17, so he only gets bonus feats at levels 2, 8, 14, and 20.

The paladin's Smite Evil is boosted by the following changes:

1. The paladin may Smite Evil with a ranged attack just as he would with a melee attack.
2. The paladin gets one use of Smite Evil per level, rather than the progression given in the PHB.
3. As a full-round action, the paladin may make a single melee (but not ranged) attack, and apply multiple uses of Smite Evil to it, up to a maximum of one-fifth his total uses for the day. The damage bonuses from the different uses stack, but the Charisma bonuses to the attack roll overlap. Because this is only a single attack, even though it is a full-round action, it may be used from a moving mount (provided it is used at the end of the move).

Blackguards gain the same bonuses to their Smite Good ability.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-09, 02:33 PM
1. The paladin may Smite Evil with a ranged attack just as he would with a melee attack.
Good

2. The paladin gets one use of Smite Evil per level, rather than the progression given in the PHB.
Good

3. As a full-round action, the paladin may make a single melee (but not ranged) attack, and apply multiple uses of Smite Evil to it, up to a maximum of one-fifth his total uses for the day. The damage bonuses from the different uses stack, but the Charisma bonuses to the attack roll overlap. Because this is only a single attack, even though it is a full-round action, it may be used from a moving mount (provided it is used at the end of the move).
Hmm... all right, I guess, but it's only really good for mounted paladins.

Finally, one more boost (inspired by the Hound Archon Hero): If a paladin can get an intelligent good creature to have an attitude of helpful toward him, he may, if the other creature agrees, take that creature as his paladin mount. If the mount is chaotic, the paladin's level for determining mount abilities is considered to be three lower than his actual level,and if it is neither lawful nor chaotic his level is considered to be one lower than his actual level. The mount does not gain the ability to command others of its kind, and other paladin mount abilities may be added or reduced depending on creature type, as determined by the DM.
Eh... the DMG has rules for taking more powerful paladin mounts. I suspect that this could lead to cheese of some sort.

Yitzi
2011-12-10, 08:30 PM
Hmm... all right, I guess, but it's only really good for mounted paladins.

That is the intent. Thanks to the paladin mount class ability, it's a fairly common type. (And any ACF that gives up the mount can come with a modification for this too.)

Eh... the DMG has rules for taking more powerful paladin mounts. I suspect that this could lead to cheese of some sort.

Forgot about that; I'll remove that clause then, as it's already in there. I'm also adding the rules for a blackguard's Smite Good.