PDA

View Full Version : Lets Get Familiar with the Spellpool

dextercorvia
2011-12-09, 02:41 PM
Suppose a Wizard5/MotAO7 calls a spell from the spellpool, and then Casts Imbue Familiar (extended with a Rod) with Spell Ability:

He then transfers that spell (which now occupies a spell slot) to his familiar.

Now, at the end of CL minutes it would fade from his mind since he hasn't cast it, but it isn't in his mind.

The familiar will retain it for the next 24 hours, so supposing that it is 4th level or lower, the master and the familiar can work together to scribe a scroll of it, and then the master can learn it from the scroll the next day.

Cog
2011-12-09, 02:55 PM
A wizard cannot learn a called spell, despite its temporary presence in his consciousness, though of course he could later attempt to learn the spell through standard means.
That takes care of just about any workaround, I'd say, but other than that, if I'm looking at the right text for IFwSA, it requires a prepared spell unless you're a sorcerer, and the particular spell here is called rather than prepared.

gbprime
2011-12-09, 02:58 PM
I see two issues with it myself.

First, the act of giving the spell to the familiar makes it unavailable, which is not the same thing as expended. Bit of a grey area there.

Second, the familiar is the one with the spell in it's head, so it has to scribe the scroll, a feat which it doesn't have. What's your plan to get around this?

dextercorvia
2011-12-09, 03:18 PM
That takes care of just about any workaround, I'd say, but other than that, if I'm looking at the right text for IFwSA, it requires a prepared spell unless you're a sorcerer, and the particular spell here is called rather than prepared.

He isn't learning the called spell, he is learning it from a scroll.

I'm not seeing a distinction between called and prepared, (if there is one, then the old lucubrating the called spell should work). If there is a distinction, it only is required that the character counting as a spontaneous caster through one of the bajillion ways he can do that.

I see two issues with it myself.

First, the act of giving the spell to the familiar makes it unavailable, which is not the same thing as expended. Bit of a grey area there.

Second, the familiar is the one with the spell in it's head, so it has to scribe the scroll, a feat which it doesn't have. What's your plan to get around this?

In response to your first point though, it is clearly transferred. The bit about unavailable refers to slots -- you can't double up on preparations this way.

In response to the second, as I mentioned, cooperation. The master provides the feat (and the hands), and the Familiar provides the spell.