PDA

View Full Version : fun with dementation!

NekoJoker
2011-12-09, 05:18 PM
hello there!

i'm looking for fun ways to use the lower levels of dementation to spice up my malkavian I am currently focusing o social abilities and investiation with heavy enphasis on Auspex... but dementation seems so much fun i have to ttry it further! mind you I am just starting with Dementation and it is fairly low at just one dot.

But really... i'm in a bit of a block here... apart from making people really really sad, mad, happy or depressed i cannot think of any cool uses for this powers... have any ideas?

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-09, 05:33 PM
hello there!Hi. :smallsmile:

but dementation seems so much fun i have to try it further!Sure thing. :smallamused: Mind telling us a little more, like what sort of character you're playing, what sort of motivation you might have? Oh, and knowing your derangement might help...

mind you I am just starting with Dementation and it is fairly low at just one dot.One dot is enough to be fairly devastating. :smalleek:

Just remember: "I'm a Malkavian" isn't a defense for ruining someone's life - they will hold grudges, and your clanmates might well hound you for it if you abuse Dementation enough.

But really... i'm in a bit of a block here... apart from making people really really sad, mad, happy or depressed i cannot think of any cool uses for this powers... have any ideas?There's plenty of use for it. Consider, after all, you're not just toying with their emotions - you're choosing just how strongly they're feeling it. Their emotions are a radio, and you have your hand on the volume button.

It's even more effective when paired up with Auspex 2 - after all, now you know for certain what emotions they're feeling, so you can control just how strongly they're feeling them...

Do you percieve how that Toreador is creeped out by that Nosferatu? Now he's terrified of him. That Nossie's eerie aspect is now a loathsome aura, and once you've got that established, you can be sure of what Dementation 2 will have the Toreador hallucinating. :smallamused:

Like many other choices out there, Dementation works best when paired up with other Disciplines, and really, as a Malkie, you've already got two of the best complementary Disciplines favored already. Other good choices are Dominate and Presence, of course, but they're hardly required to pull off some serious hijinx.

Hell, back when I was playing, I had a certain flamboyant Ventrue terrified of me, just because he knew that I knew Dementation. :smallamused:

Mando Knight
2011-12-09, 05:35 PM
Helps if you put the system in the title. I recognized that it's a White Wolf game from you mentioning dots, but since I don't play V:tM, it took a search to figure out that that's what you're talking about.

Dingle
2011-12-09, 06:16 PM
In this case, it doesn't make a huge difference, I don't think "dementation" exists as a word other than as a discipline in the vampire games

and if you don't know what it is, you probably don't have any ideas how to use it.

NekoJoker
2011-12-09, 06:23 PM
Allright, I do realise some extra information would be useful.

For starters, this is Old World of Darkness; Vampire: The Masquerade 3rd ed.

The concept is stil not entirely solid but roughly it's mostly based around music and emotions.

The character is a consumated musician and composer, my DM has given me the chance of being able to perform rather well with any kind of instrument or be able to sing just about any vocal range, so I would be a pretty darm musicmeister. I envision the character as using the swirling emotions and mood chances of the people around him to compose his own music, (which i would later play at my very own personal night club) Using auspex to scan targets and then roleplaying my way into heightening the specific emotions i would like to have most present in the subject, Dem 1 then comes into effect if needed.

Personality-wise... i want to play him as a perfectly pleasant fellow but incredibly curious about people's emotional states and mood swings, if at all possible to try and toy with them a little bit, just... to get inspiration.

derrangement... i do not have a tranlation for it into english... I believe the most accurate would be Blood Animism... maybe? This derrangement is brought upon by the feelings of guilt upon feeding, it has the vampire believe that it is not only blood he is taking from the victim but also a piece of the victim's soul and as such he may have brief visions of the victims life and if the visions get too powerful he may be "possessed" by them and act as the victim for a short period of time, lie a short tem Multiple Personality Disorder. This is tied to a Willpower check.

I know the whole thing seems a bit confusing, I am still working out on it as I go, but i really like the general idea and feel of a composer who gathers inspiration from the emotions of people around him... makes me feel as a bit of a Psychic Vampire as well as a regular bloodsucker.

On a side note i also made a post regarding this same character (Link : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224236 ) regarding my plans on getting a higher status on kindred society.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-09, 07:11 PM
I believe the name for that derangement is, "Sanguinary Animism."

Anyway, for what you've described so far, Auspex 2 and Dementation 1 go hand-in-hand for making that happen.

NekoJoker
2011-12-09, 08:44 PM
I believe the name for that derangement is, "Sanguinary Animism."

thanks for clarification, i only own the Spanish manual so i had no idea

Anyway, for what you've described so far, Auspex 2 and Dementation 1 go hand-in-hand for making that happen.

Indeed, but i want to know other uses for this discipline, but i'm not getting any good ideas myself T_T

And for some reason there's very little info about discipline use and abuse on the internet... I wonder why...? they're so open ended i would have thought that people would be gushing with ideas on how to use them for fun and profit... weird

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-09, 09:31 PM
Indeed, but i want to know other uses for this discipline, but i'm not getting any good ideas myselfSorry I'm not more help - I've been keeping my mind on other systems lately. :smalleek:

And for some reason there's very little info about discipline use and abuse on the internet... I wonder why...?The game is pretty old at this point... :smallsigh:

Cirrylius
2011-12-09, 09:55 PM
Your character needs to hook up with a Daughter of Cacophony. The fun you two could have teaching each other...:smallamused:

Plus the idea of a Malkavian composer co-bonded with a DoC diva is just so awesome/terrifying.

Need_A_Life
2011-12-15, 05:39 AM
http://malkav.freeshell.org/story/toplay/index.html

All you should need to play a Malkavian. :smallwink:
Especially: http://malkav.freeshell.org/story/toplay/greatmal.txt

While most of it pertains specifically to LARPs, a lot of it can easily be translated into tabletop as well.