PDA

View Full Version : Good Spells to Persist and Shapechange Forms

kardar233
2011-12-09, 10:03 PM
I'm applying for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225228&page=2) PbP, and I'm looking for a bit of character build help.

I've already sketched out my class progression:

1. Archivist1//Sha段r1
2. Archivist2//Sha段r2
3. Archivist3// Warblade1
4. Archivist4//Sha段r3
5. Warblade3//Sha段r4
6. Archivist5//Sha段r5
7. Cloistered Cleric1//Bone Knight1
8. Ruby Knight Vindicator1//Bone Knight2
9. Bone Knight3//Ruby Knight Vindicator2
10. Spelldancer1//Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil1
11. Ruby Knight Vindicator3//Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil2
12. Ruby Knight Vindicator4//Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil3
13. Bone Knight4//Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil4
14. Contemplative1//Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil5
15. Bone Knight5//Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil6
16. Bone Knight6//Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil7
17. Bone Knight7//Ruby Knight Vindicator5
18. Bone Knight8//Mindbender1
19. Bone Knight9//Ruby Knight Vindicator6
20. Bone Knight10//Ruby Knight Vindicator7

I'm going to PAO myself into a Sarrukh for the 30 bast INT. Along with Shapechange and Faerie Mysteries Initiate (hopefully) I only need to worry about Wisdom and Charisma point-buy wise.

I know I'll be grabbing Persist, Ocular and Reach Spell so that I can Extended Persist anything I want. What are good spells to use there? I was going to try looking through the Team Solar list, but 150 spells is too much book-trawling for me.

I have 18th level Archivist casting and 17th level Sha'ir casting, so I can persist anything Divine or on the Sorc/Wiz list.

Can anyone lay out the RAW argument for gaining Solar spells when Shapechanged? I'd like to have another source of spells to Persist if at all possible.

Also, I'll be using Reserves of Strength to boost CL caps, but the DM has ruled that it caps out at Cap+3. Anyone have any good Shapechange forms in the 25-28HD range? The only good one I've found is Very Old (Gargantuan) Red Dragon.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-09, 10:11 PM
Mystic Shield from Anauroch empire of Shade (IIRC)

is an 8th level spell which gives you incredible defensive bonus

Immune to any spell level 6 or lower, all magical weapons loose their enhancements against you (making DR/Magic actually useful) and similar stuff.

Shapechange is always awesome to have and persisted is simply ridiculous, Chronotyrm is a good shape as they get two rounds worth of actions or something similar.

Alleran
2011-12-09, 10:31 PM
Can anyone lay out the RAW argument for gaining Solar spells when Shapechanged? I'd like to have another source of spells to Persist if at all possible.
Shapechange (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm) states:

"You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form..."

The Solar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm), if you go to that link, has its spells listed as a Special Attack, which you get by RAW.

I believe that's the logic. Somebody can correct me if I missed something.

Hirax
2011-12-09, 10:41 PM
Chronotyryn, Field Folio. Sonic immunity, double actions per turn, 22 natural armor, and other great physical stats. Combine with necrotic empowerment for 30 natural armor, then cast scinitillating scales to turn your natural armor bonus into a deflection bonus.

Also, persisting delay death and beastland ferocity (or similar) will allow you to suffer no ill effects from damage.

edit: if you can get it, favor of the martyr grants immunities to a number of things that nothing else does, such as nausea and dazing.

Randomguy
2011-12-09, 11:47 PM
Just shapechange into epic monsters. As long as they don't have more HD than the limit, they're fair game, and you won't have to use questionable rules to get access to the best abilities. I like the gibbering orb for it's total of 36 attacks a round (Sadly, it's Int got reduced from 40 to 25 in the epic level handbook 3.5 update, with a few other changes, but it's still awesome) and the black slaadi (It's 29 HD though) for a bunch of supernatural abilities, and every once in a while a gloom, for the sneak attack. And that's not to mention abominations.
I assume you're using the 3.5 version of shapechange? The pathfinder one is much more limited (and balanced).

You can use magic items to give yourself some effects continually so you can save the spell slots.

For immortality, persist delay death, sheltered vitality and death ward.
Some other good ones are telekinetic sphere mixed with sonorous hum with a ring gate to cast out of, and ghostform at the same time as greater ironguard if you don't use too many metal items, since with the both of those nearly nothing can affect you.

Casting the elemental immunity spell, once for each element, is a good idea, since

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-10, 12:21 AM
How does elemental body interacts with other forms of shape changing? IIRC it gave you all the Elemental immunities which were quite good IIRC, so depending on how they interact with Shapechange it might be a good spell to persists.

candycorn
2011-12-10, 01:12 AM
For immortality, persist delay death, sheltered vitality and death ward. Add in Beastland Ferocity for that, if you don't want to be immune to death by damage, but not unconsciousness.

Favor of the Martyr, as well, if you don't wanna be able to be knocked out by nonlethal damage.

My favorite is Shapechange: Crystalline Troll, Energy immunity (Sonic), and Favor of the Martyr.

Troll turns all non-sonic damage to nonlethal damage. Energy immunity makes you immune to all sonic damage. Favor of the Martyr makes you immune to nonlethal damage. It's the complete way to be outright immune to damage, including searing spell, and the like.

kardar233
2011-12-10, 06:13 AM
Since I just realized that Reserves of Strength can apply to any spell I can cast, I'm not restricted to Sarrukh as far as high-intelligence forms. Currently looking for a 16-18 HD form with >30 INT. The Black Ethergaunt is out due to incorporeality, unfortunately.

Is there any equivalent to Wild Armour or Wilding Clasps that will allow me to keep my Bonecraft Armour while Shapechanged?