PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Qinggong Monk Ability Levels

Mr. Zolrane
2011-12-10, 02:02 AM
Hey guys, in the campaign I'll be playing in next semester, I'll be playing a Weapon Adept/Qinggong Monk (maybe Ki Mystic too; haven't decided yet, but that's neither here nor there). I have a problem, however. With the exception of the 4th-level ability, the abilities that are replaced by the Qinggong ki powers don't match up with the level that the ki powers become available, so it's difficult to discern what I'm trading out for what. It's late, and I may just be crazy, but can somebody please clear this up for me? I love what the archetype would do for my versatility, but I don't fully understand it yet.

Here's the page for the archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk), btw, and the base monk page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk), for your convenience.

Doorhandle
2011-12-10, 03:35 AM
I agree that the page is a bit poorly laid out.

Basically, from what I see, you can replace any Ki-power with another one on the list so long as you are high-level enough to justify it. For example at level 12, you could replace abundant step with battle-mind link or discordant blast or any power of your level or lower as seen on the list, but you couldn't replace it with, say, tongue of the sun and moon.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-12-10, 10:16 AM
I agree that the page is a bit poorly laid out.

Basically, from what I see, you can replace any Ki-power with another one on the list so long as you are high-level enough to justify it. For example at level 12, you could replace abundant step with battle-mind link or discordant blast or any power of your level or lower as seen on the list, but you couldn't replace it with, say, tongue of the sun and moon.

I get that, but my issue is the top list does not seem to correspond to the bottom list. The top list goes 4th, 5th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 17th, 17th (also, just realized there's two 17th's; can anyone clarify what the deal is on that? Typo?), 19th, 20th and the bottom list just goes on all the even numbers.

Cieyrin
2011-12-10, 10:34 AM
I get that, but my issue is the top list does not seem to correspond to the bottom list. The top list goes 4th, 5th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 17th, 17th (also, just realized there's two 17th's; can anyone clarify what the deal is on that? Typo?), 19th, 20th and the bottom list just goes on all the even numbers.

The top list is just the abilities you can replace. The bottom list is just the tiers of abilities of what becomes available when. So, If you're an 8th level Qinggong Monk, you can replace Slow Fall and High Jump for abilities of from the 4th level list and Wholeness of Body with abilities from the 6th level list, since you weren't Monk 6 when you had the option to trade out the first 2.

As for the 2 17th levels, that's just when those abilities appear. Doesn't make sense to be able to trade them out before you would get them normally.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-12-10, 10:45 AM
The top list is just the abilities you can replace. The bottom list is just the tiers of abilities of what becomes available when. So, If you're an 8th level Qinggong Monk, you can replace Slow Fall and High Jump for abilities of from the 4th level list and Wholeness of Body with abilities from the 6th level list, since you weren't Monk 6 when you had the option to trade out the first 2.

As for the 2 17th levels, that's just when those abilities appear. Doesn't make sense to be able to trade them out before you would get them normally.

Ok, I think I'm beginning to grasp this a little more. If I'm understanding correctly (and I hope I am; I know I come across as incredibly dense on this thread) When I hit 4th level, and each even-numbered level after, a new tier of abilities opens up that I can replace my latest monk class feature with? So could I, if I so chose, replace a higher-level class feature with a lower-level Qinggong ability? Say, just as a for instance, could I swap out Diamond Body for Barkskin (that would be a dumb trade-off, I know, especially seeing as I can trade out High Jump or or Slow Fall for that; it's just an example)?

Cieyrin
2011-12-10, 11:17 AM
Ok, I think I'm beginning to grasp this a little more. If I'm understanding correctly (and I hope I am; I know I come across as incredibly dense on this thread) When I hit 4th level, and each even-numbered level after, a new tier of abilities opens up that I can replace my latest monk class feature with? So could I, if I so chose, replace a higher-level class feature with a lower-level Qinggong ability? Say, just as a for instance, could I swap out Diamond Body for Barkskin (that would be a dumb trade-off, I know, especially seeing as I can trade out High Jump or or Slow Fall for that; it's just an example)?

Correct on all counts.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-12-10, 11:20 AM
Correct on all counts.

Marvelous. Thank you much.