PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of Mystra, AMF and persistent buffs.

Torrim
2011-12-10, 12:00 PM
Hi good people, i have a question regarding Initiate of Mystra:If i cast a buff,let's say Divine Power, while in an AMF, does the buff work,or is it suppressed even if normally casted?(suppressed NOT dispelled)

kardar233
2011-12-10, 12:19 PM
I'd say it's probably suppressed. That's why you should beat them to the punch and Persist an Extraordinarily Spell Aimed AMF yourself.

Torrim
2011-12-10, 12:20 PM
Is there a FAQ somewhere?:P

Jack_Simth
2011-12-10, 12:30 PM
Hi good people, i have a question regarding Initiate of Mystra:If i cast a buff,let's say Divine Power, while in an AMF, does the buff work,or is it suppressed even if normally casted?(suppressed NOT dispelled)
Well, check the wording of the feat in question:
You can attempt to cast spells even within a dead magic zone or an antimagic field. In a dead magic zone, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 20 + the level of the spell you are trying to cast. In an antimagic field, you must make a successful caster level check against a DC equal to 11 + the caster level of the antimagic field. If this check is successful, your spell functions normally.
In addition, you may add the following spells to your cleric spell list.

So, if you cast the spell while inside an AMF, and you succeed on your caster level check, then the spell functions. If it's a spell that you've previously cast, and it's brought into an AMF, you don't have any protection clauses against the AMF, and so the AMF does what it normally does, and suppresses the spell.

Anthrowhale
2011-12-10, 12:31 PM

It is not suppressed, because "your spell functions normally".

Torrim
2011-12-10, 12:31 PM
Well, check the wording of the feat in question:

So, if you cast the spell while inside an AMF, and you succeed on your caster level check, then the spell functions. If it's a spell that you've previously cast, and it's brought into an AMF, you don't have any protection clauses against the AMF, and so the AMF does what it normally does, and suppresses the spell.

What if u cast AMF, persist it, cast the buff in it, and spend your next 24 hours in the same AMF?

Jack_Simth
2011-12-10, 12:54 PM
What if u cast AMF, persist it, cast the buff in it, and spend your next 24 hours in the same AMF?
Then you're probably fine, but you've got a pesky issue in that most of the easy methods of persisting things in an AMF rely on an ability that doesn't work in an AMF, and that can't use the bypass mechanism that is Initiate of Mystria, because they're not spells.

An interesting question crops up if someone else's AMF later overlaps yours, though. A DM could easily rule that because your spells weren't cast in *that* AMF, that your spells are now all suppressed.

Torrim
2011-12-10, 02:02 PM
What about DMM?It should work in it

gomipile
2011-12-10, 07:12 PM

Even if DMM and the expenditure of turn attempts is possible in an AMF with Initiate of Mystra, you'd have to use your character's actual turn attempts. Night sticks would not work, thus negating a lot of the mass-DMM shenanigans.

Jack_Simth
2011-12-10, 10:00 PM
Negative - Turn Undead is Supernatural, and thus suppressed by an AMF. Initiate of Mystria does not turn your Supernatural abilities back on, so you don't don't have Turn Undead while inside an AMF, and thus can't use Divine Meta Magic.

Torrim
2011-12-10, 10:08 PM
Negative - Turn Undead is Supernatural, and thus suppressed by an AMF. Initiate of Mystria does not turn your Supernatural abilities back on, so you don't don't have Turn Undead while inside an AMF, and thus can't use Divine Meta Magic.

Thanks a lot :D

dextercorvia
2011-12-10, 10:42 PM
All divine feats are supernatural, just in case you had some other thought.

The illumian Naenhoon, Anima Mage's Exploit Vestige, and Ultimate Magus' Augmented Casting are all Su as well.

Torrim
2011-12-11, 06:18 AM
All divine feats are supernatural, just in case you had some other thought.

The illumian Naenhoon, Anima Mage's Exploit Vestige, and Ultimate Magus' Augmented Casting are all Su as well.

That's new(at least the part about divine feats).Is it said in the Feats setion of complete divine?

Jack_Simth
2011-12-11, 09:32 AM
That's new(at least the part about divine feats).Is it said in the Feats setion of complete divine?

Complete Divine, page 77:
Activating a divine feat is also a supernatural ability and does not provoke an attack of opportunity unless otherwise specified in the feat description. (second column, middle of the first full paragraph)

Torrim
2011-12-11, 05:11 PM
Complete Divine, page 77: (second column, middle of the first full paragraph)

Good sirs, i really appreciate your efforts. Thanks!