PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Wakfu Homebrew Project - Classes

Agent_0042
2011-12-10, 03:09 PM
For the uninitiated, Wakfu (http://www.wakfu.com/) is a decent MMO that, more importantly, is accompanied by an awesome animated series (http://serie.wakfu.com/en). In addition to the animation and characterization being quality, the setting is an interesting one, and a friend of mine has expressed interest in running a campaign in it. This is the start of our efforts to make that possible. The obvious place to start a project like this is with the player characters and classes, so here's some of the things I'm considering.

Everyone is human in the setting, including the shrub-headed guys and catgirls. When you pledge yourself to a deity (or are born to someone who has, though this isn't always the case), you take on aspects of their appearance in addition to gaining appropriate powers. Effectively, your race is your religion is your class. So, all players are human, with "racial" modifiers just rolled into the appropriate class. [br]

On that note, there's fourteen base classes - Cra, Ecaflip, Eniripsa, Enutrof, Feca, Iop, Osamodas, Pandawa, Sacrier, Sadida, Sram, Xelor, Rogue, and Masqueraider. Fifteen if we include Eliatropes, who are technically not human but might as well be. [br]

No multiclassing between base classes. Ever. You will never see a Cra/Sram or an Ecaflip/Enutrof. I suppose, theoretically, you could renounce your deity and convert to another. It never happens in the series, but I don't know anything explicitly prohibiting it and it may be useful to have such a mechanic. [br]

In the series, the characters have a fairly versatile set of powers, but you don't often see them aquire a new one, with the exception of the Eliatrope kid. In the game, all of a class's powers can be obtained in the first several levels, with further levels just improving powers. This suggests to me that we have short (ten-level) base classes and abilities that scale to character level instead of class level, with prestige classes filling out a character's progression. This means you take 5-10 levels of Iop and then prestige into Shushu Guardian, or Xelor into Horologer, or what have you. [br]

This also means we need prestige classes, at least two per class. PrCs can be class agnostic if appropriate - if you're a Cra and pick up a Shushu Bow, for example, you should be able to become a Shushu Guardian. [br]

Every class has "spells", though many of them aren't obviously or overtly magical. Vancian casting, power points, and the like are out - you don't ever see a character "run out" of their abilities. So, each class will get invocations, maneuvers, or a similar at-will resource management scheme. I may homebrew a universal mechanic for such, for simplicity's sake. These would be advanced by PrCs, which may add additional powers to be selected.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

TheGeckoKing
2011-12-10, 04:46 PM
As a player of Wakfu, I think that trying to apply it to d20 wouldn't be TOO hard. Maybe the 10 level base classes could consist of the golden support spells (Notice how there's 10 support spells per class *hint hint*) and the 10 level PrCs could consist of the elemental offshoots of each class. That IS 4 PrC's per class though, which is a LOT.
Or is that what you meant? If so, pay no attention.

Anyway, looking at it, I'd break up the classes in the following groups;

Invocations - Eniripsa, Xelor, Osamodas, Sadida, Feca
Maneuvers - Sacrier, Iop, Cra, Sram, Rogue
Gish-ish - Pandawa, Enutrof, Ecaflip
??? (Haven't seen one in play) - Masqueraider, Eliatrope

If you want a Universal Mechanic, just take the system straight from the game - make Powers for all the classes that cost either Action Points that recharge each round, Wakfu that recharges each encounter, or movement speed (1 point = 10ft of movement in that round). Some get the (Su) tag, some don't, but AMF's don't exist in Wakfu anyway (Do they?).

Unrelated, but for monster CR, I say you take the Monster's game level and just reduce them to 25% for a rough idea. Gobballs would be CR 2 rounded down, and Black Crow would be CR 25. Depends how powerful you want the critters, though.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I despise the Magik Riktus. MAY XELOR DAMN YOU, BADSKINS! :smallfurious:

Wavelab
2011-12-11, 08:03 AM
Well I played dofus and I touched Wakfu once or twice, but I have a basic idea of how it works.

For spells why not use Martial Maneuvers from Tome of Battle? It might not fit perfectly, but it's an already implemented system.

Hyudra
2011-12-11, 11:22 AM
I've actually got an E6 class mostly done (Or rather, I'm doing & testing the first 6 levels before I move on to the full class), that could work for Xelor. Lemme see about finalizing it.

Agent_0042
2011-12-11, 01:00 PM
As a player of Wakfu, I think that trying to apply it to d20 wouldn't be TOO hard. Maybe the 10 level base classes could consist of the golden support spells (Notice how there's 10 support spells per class *hint hint*) and the 10 level PrCs could consist of the elemental offshoots of each class. That IS 4 PrC's per class though, which is a LOT.
Or is that what you meant? If so, pay no attention.
Right now, I'm generally thinking that the support skills would be the class features of the base class, and the elemental skills would be the spells/maneuvers/whatever you could select. However, see my next point.

If you want a Universal Mechanic, just take the system straight from the game - make Powers for all the classes that cost either Action Points that recharge each round, Wakfu that recharges each encounter, or movement speed (1 point = 10ft of movement in that round). Some get the (Su) tag, some don't, but AMF's don't exist in Wakfu anyway (Do they?).
I don't want to do that, for two reasons. One, it'd be redundant - 3.5 already has a functioning action system, and adding Wakfu-style AP on top of that would be clunky. Two, because Wakfu is an MMO, all of the abilities are combat-focused, and I want this project to have a wider scope than that. I mean, yes, I could just port the system over and call it a day, but I wouldn't be satisfied. I'd rather have something inspired by Wakfu that you could tell stories with, than just a direct translation.

Come to think of it, though, 4e is almost perfectly suited for a direct port, especially the combat engine. If I didn't despise the system, I'd probably use it. :p

I've actually got an E6 class mostly done (Or rather, I'm doing & testing the first 6 levels before I move on to the full class), that could work for Xelor. Lemme see about finalizing it.
I'll be very interested in seeing it. After I finish with work, I'll start on a first-draft Cra.

Hyudra
2011-12-11, 03:16 PM
I'll be very interested in seeing it. After I finish with work, I'll start on a first-draft Cra.

Chronomancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12359286#post12359286)

Agent_0042
2011-12-11, 05:44 PM
Chronomancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12359286#post12359286)

This makes me so happy. I'll comment on it later, when I have the time to spare.

To any Wakfu (or Dofus) players - what would you consider iconic abilities for each class?

TheGeckoKing
2011-12-11, 06:09 PM
To any Wakfu (or Dofus) players - what would you consider iconic abilities for each class?

Xelor - Xelor's Dial
Sadida - (Summoning a) Doll
Sacriers - Angrrr
Pandawa - (Summoning a) Barrel
Feca - (Summoning) Glyph(s) or Armor

Not 100% sure about the others.

daniel8853
2017-01-09, 11:30 PM
Sorry to bump like that, but... I'm searching for something like this with my friends for years. So i want to know what came up from this project.

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry for bumping.

Seth Phoenix
2017-06-14, 12:28 AM
Sorry to bump like that, but... I'm searching for something like this with my friends for years. So i want to know what came up from this project.

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry for bumping.

I saw this and was a touch disheartened to see it was such an old thread, but seeing as you necroed it before I could, I should thank you for saving me the dilemma of whether or not to do it. I'm curious about it myself. The thoughts of a Wakfu themed game (or at the very least a few elements) always interested me and my mind comes back to thoughts of it every now and then.

Agent_0042, if you're still working on this at all, have it completed, or have notes put away somewhere, I'd love to know.

Kokolokoli
2017-11-09, 04:41 PM
Hi!

So I've been a fan of wakfu ever since its first closed beta and even today i keep on playing.

I<ve recentley (about 1-2 year ago?) started playing DnD and i/ve found this thread while looking for wakfu homebrews, but I never thought much of it.

HOWEVER!

I've decided to try and homebrew all of the (now 15) classes of wakfu for DnD 5th edition. I wouldnt use the same system as depicted above but rather adapt the gameplay of the classes to DnD and try to make their own lore fit into the DnD universe. In that sense, there would potentially be orc fecas, halfling Iops, etc.

I started out with one of my favorites, the masquerader (Zobal in french. I play the game in french so i'm gonna use the french names sorry). First I intend to Homebrew them as subclasses as much as possible, as I'm kind of a new player and I think it's better to start off slow to understand the balance instead of creating a whole new class from scratch. For the Zobal for example, it would be a monk subclass.

Once that is done, building the whole wakfu UNIVERSE would be easier since the classes would become the races, so the only touch to add would be the race bonuses and proficiencies (or make them all Human at first).

I'm planning on tackling the Sadida and Sacrieur next. However, I'm looking for a good place to post it and get feedback and update it. I've found DMguild's website but i'm afraid that website is way too focused on the moneymaking side of creating content. Any platform suggestions?

EDIT i'm using the homebrewery to work it out, go check it out and let m know what you think!
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJ-UY18fkG

Bruno Carvalho
2017-11-10, 04:30 PM
Well, I never played Wakfu, but I played Dofus. If it is similar, you got 4 stats, each based on an element (Earth/Air/Fire/Water), don't it?

Well, I got a suggestion. This FFRPG here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420600-PEACH-New-FFRPG) got the same stat scheme and, with little reskinning, can be easily adapted to Wakfu. Its also a d100 system, so you can easily turn it into a d10 or d20 system if you want (just take any number and take a fifth or a tenth of it).

Just to illustrate, take a look at the game's character sheet and you'll se how close to Dofus/Wakfu it already is:

https://i.imgur.com/Hklj6TW.png