PDA

View Full Version : How to make a nasty monster in 3.5?

Balor01
2011-12-10, 04:04 PM
So I like to homebrew in 3.5 and as much as I like increasing HD, to-hit stats, dmg, saves and AC, I know really interesting oponents do not have over 9000 HD. :smallwink:

Now, I'd appreciate some input on how to pimp-out monsters via feats and abilities? Maybe you could give me nastiest feats and abilities you have ancountered when fighting monsters?

Any ideas are velcome.

Yora
2011-12-10, 04:07 PM
You mean customizing and upgrading existing monsters, or coming up with completely new things?

Runestar
2011-12-10, 09:01 PM
You can't go wrong with at least 1 lv of martial adept on a monster, especially those with a huge amount of racial HD for their cr. For example, an elder elemental is cr11 and has 24HD. 1 lv of warblade or swordsage lets it instantly access up to 7th lv maneuvers. Have it take martial study thrice prior to this and it has at least 6 maneuvers ready for use for that combat. :smallcool:

Howler Dagger
2011-12-10, 09:06 PM
You take an existing monster (or create your own), refluff as nessacary, add abilities, then decrease the CR by 2+. Done.

Fax Celestis
2011-12-10, 09:07 PM
The spellwarped template from MM-III is a great defensive buff for a minimal CR adjust.

Endarire
2011-12-10, 09:10 PM
1: Make the creature as if you were optimizing a player character you loved. Class levels are encouraged.
2: Play creature in an optimal fashion.
3: Remember the CR will probably mean little at this point.

Godskook
2011-12-10, 09:49 PM
A conjurer dip provides access to Abrupt Jaunt as well as wizard scroll/wand access.

A cleric dip can give a huge amount of various things, but the easiest to mention is wand/scroll access to both the wizard and cleric lists. Delay Death is particularly scary for parties that don't carry a dispel or 5 in their back pockets.

Martial dips have already been mentioned, and are quite strong.

Monk dips are less 'potent' than swordsage 2, but still provides Wis to AC, as well as a strong save boost, even under fractional saves.