PDA

View Full Version : SW Saga: Force Grip

Psiker
2011-12-10, 06:47 PM
Loooong time lurker, first time poster.

My Group and myself are currently enjoying SW Saga edition, but we came to a disagreement with the power "Force Grip".

We were in a fight against a single AT-ST (The two legged walker things), i (being a lvl 6 Jedi) was down to my last few powers for combat and decided to try force grip, i only just managed to pull it off (rolled a 17), This is where is disagreement began.

As i was reading what force grip did (6d6 dmg + it can only take a single swift action) the DM states that the damage works, but its still going to be able to move and attack. i conceded that as he was DM, its his choice, and we both said we will have to look into how it should have happened.

Anyway, i turn to you, playgrounders, how should have it turned out?

Mando Knight
2011-12-10, 09:05 PM
What was your total on the UtF check? If it was 17, then you only dealt 2d6 damage, and you missed the AT-ST's modified Fortitude defense (the errata states that large targets gain a substantial size bonus to its Fortitude when targeted with Grip, equal to its size bonus to Damage Threshold... so in this case, its Damage Threshold instead of its Fort). Even if you hit 25, you missed the target 30 to cripple an AT-ST, so your GM was correct... except that because you missed its Fortitude, it also takes half damage, and you cannot maintain the power.

Also, if you're not playing with the errata, get it and start doing so. There are several errors in the Core book especially, and the errata goes a good way towards fixing them. (Ramming is terrifying otherwise...)

Psiker
2011-12-11, 03:55 AM
My bad, i reached the DC of 30, which was its threshold.

Mando Knight
2011-12-11, 03:50 PM
In that case, you would have dealt the full damage and the walker would have been able to only take a single swift action. "Except that doesn't do anything to a walker, as it's the crew that takes the actions" is probably what the GM was thinking. Which, in a way, makes sense and limits the ability of Force Grip to shut down an entire encounter on its own. Personally, I would have limited the crew as a whole to making one attack, since you were obviously strong enough to restrict most of the walker's movement, but I'm also not a fan of Force users shutting down entire encounters on their own... unless they're just that badass... which in my mind starts at around level 8 for Saga characters.

Vknight
2011-12-18, 07:26 PM
I agree with Mando on this I'd say that the guy takes negatives for the vehicle he's in crushing in on him but since he's not the direct target he can act normally.

Also were is this errata Mando?

Mando Knight
2011-12-18, 07:56 PM
Also were is this errata Mando?
The original source is gone, but backups are fairly easy to find. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Saga+errata)