PDA

View Full Version : (Technical Support) Laptop screen won't work

Emperor Ing
2011-12-10, 10:45 PM
Hay guys, once again I am plagued with a really really pissed off computer.

Here's the problem. If you didn't get it off the tin, my computer screen won't light up. I know my computer is on, because the LEDs for the power button/volume control/random junk/some stupid logo thingie on the back of the laptop light up, and the fans make that stupid noise. After a few seconds, the LEDs noting the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock blink repeatedly. Oh, and for the record this is an HP Pavilion dv4.

Now i've looked up some troubleshooting already. Now keep in mind: I've tried rebooting it numerous times, clearing up the system's static (unplug, remove battery, hold power button for 40 secs, replug, turn on, place battery back in,) and changing screen feeds. Some suggest that the motherboard is skrewed (I don't drop this thing, don't ask) and that it needs to be replaced.

Now since I don't want to spend money, any ideas on what the problem could be, and how to fix it? Now keep in mind that i'm mildly technologically illiterate, so when you say "reset the memory" as was suggested in my aformentioned research, please explain how to do so.

Hannes
2011-12-11, 07:57 AM
Maybe the wires became disconnected? I've heard of this happening in the past.

Also, your best choice is to go to the most reputable dealer with the best prices who does repairs. If you're technologically illiterate, you might end up doing stuff that turn things worse. Also, it's really hard to diagnose without actually seeing the thing.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-11, 09:24 AM
I've heard about that actually. Something about delicate wires in the screen pivot. If you could give me a tutorial on how to possibly un-cross these wires i'm all ears.

Hannes
2011-12-11, 09:56 AM
I've heard about that actually. Something about delicate wires in the screen pivot. If you could give me a tutorial on how to possibly un-cross these wires i'm all ears.

Sadly, my only advice on how to do it is use Google. I have never opened my laptop and I probably never will due to not wishing to screw anything up.

Jack Squat
2011-12-11, 01:36 PM
If power cycling didn't work, it sounds like a hardware problem. My best advice is to take it to a reputable shop to diagnose and fix. It's not that taking apart a laptop and replacing parts is particularly hard, but it's pretty easy to make the problem worse if you have no idea what you're doing.

Emperor Ing
2011-12-11, 01:49 PM
I was hoping someone would provide a tutorial so I would have a better idea what i'm doing. I know a good shop, but as i've said I don't wanna spend money, so the shop's the absolute last resort.

factotum
2011-12-11, 03:49 PM
It sounds like the backlight has failed to me, and really, there's not much you can do to fix that yourself--you'd need to get a dealer to swap the entire screen for a working one. If the laptop is still under warranty that should be free, otherwise, it definitely won't be!

OracleofWuffing
2011-12-11, 04:39 PM
After a few seconds, the LEDs noting the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock blink repeatedly. Oh, and for the record this is an HP Pavilion dv4.
The blinking scroll and caps lock LEDs are used for diagnostic reporting (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN) on some of HP's computers when it can not boot far enough to use the display. How many times do the LEDs blink?

JuanCudz
2011-12-13, 09:04 AM
Have you a monitor around to plug in the back?