PDA

View Full Version : Alchemist Archer Gish

Menteith
2011-12-11, 01:38 AM
Hey everyone. I'm re-working an Alchemist I've been working on after realizing that d20pfsrd is just wrong on quite a few of the Alchemist Discoveries and how they interact. Anyway, my original concept is to maximize debuffing and control abilities through Bombs while providing substantial out of combat benefits through Infusion. Here's the rough build.

Half Orc Grenadier; Favored Class - Alchemist (Favored Class Alternative:+ 1/2 to bomb damage)
STR: 10 DEX: 14 CON: 12 INT: 20 WIS: 10 CHA: 7
Chaotic Neutral

Racial Traits
+2 Intelligence
Darkvision (60 feet)
Orc Blood
Weapon Familiarity
(Alternative Racial Trait) Sacred Tattoo
(Alternative Racial Trait) Scavenger
Grenadier grants Martial Weapon Proficiency; (Composite) Longbow

General Traits
Reactionary
Highlander

Discoveries and Feats
Infusion (1), Precise Bombs (2) through Grenadier, Tumor Familiar (2) taking a Compsognathus, Improved Initiative (3), Explosive Missile (4), Smoke Bomb (5) through Extra Discovery, Wings (6), Stink Bomb (7) through Extra Discovery, Confusion Bomb (8), Fast Bombs (9), Sticky Bomb (10), Iron Will (11), Greater Mutagen (12), Improved Iron Will (13), Extend Potion (14), Wings again (15), Eternal Potion (16), Elixir of Life (17), Alchemical Simulacrum (Su) (18), Doppelganger Simulacrum (Su) (19) Grand Discovery: Awakened Intellect (20).

Alchemical Weapon lets me set any Alchemical Item to trigger on an attack - Tanglefoot Bags, Flash Powder, and Smokesticks give the most interesting options, but I also have the option of dumping Alchemist's Fire or Acid for an additional 1d6 elemental damage. Explosive Missile limits me to a single attack per round, but lets me have a Bomb detonate off of an arrow or bolt, which combines with Alchemical Weapon to create some nasty debuffing - Tanglefoot-bagging (T-Bagging) a target inside of a Stinking Cloud makes their day all kinds of unpleasant, and I can target basically whatever saves I think will be lowest - Tanglefoot Bags hit Reflex, Stink Bomb targets Fortitude, and Confusion Bomb either can't be saved against or targets Will, depending on if you go by RAW or RAI. Confusion Bomb as written Confuses a target for a number of rounds equal to my Alchemist level, and doesn't give a save if it hits, which is absurd (Basically, if I hit you on a touch attack you die without a save and I can ignore SR). Damage isn't terrible - at level 10, a single Explosive Missile will deal 1d8 Piercing + (5d6+11 Fire) + 16 Fire next round - on a nonmagic Longbow without applying any special effects through Alchemical Weapon or to the Bomb itself.

I can pull off a +15 Initiative Check by level 3 (+2 from Dex, +2 from Mutagen, +2 from Reactionary +4 from a Compsognathus familiar, +4 from Improved Initiative, +1 from a 500g Cracked Dust Rose Ioun Stone), and have a Skill list that includes some of the best skills in the game with Perception, Use Magic Device and Stealth all being class skills. I provide the entire party with a rather large assortment of buffs that they can use on their own turn, and can cast my entire spell list out of combat (preparing an Extract takes only 1m). At level 6 I gain the ability to Fly as the spell for 1m per class level/day as an extraordinary ability, meaning I can't be shut down through Dispel Magic or an AMZ, and can snipe with impunity. Fast Bombs gives me another option if the target has Deflect Arrows (which hard counters the build) or something silly like that, and lets me lay out multiple debuffs in a single round. Once I hit level 13, I get access to the Alchemist version of Contingency in Delayed Consumption, which lets me trigger any 4th level or lower Extract - meaning I can trigger Universal Formula off it, allowing me to trigger any 3rd level or lower effect off it - this gives me True Strike, Invisibility, Protection from Arrows, Resist Energy, Protection from Energy, Burst of Speed, Haste, Fly, and other stuff I'm probably missing as Immediate actions if I need them.

Here are some of my concerns, and if anyone could help me with them I'd really appreciate it.

Confusion Bomb doesn't "as written" allow for a save. We haven't started yet, but should it be house ruled to allow for a Will Save at normal bomb DC?

How does Sticky Bomb affect spell casting? Concentration checks are called for whenever there is continual damage, and a Concentration check of 10+(1/2 last continuous damage dealt)+spell level is needed to cast the spell. Sticky Bomb seems like it should be continual damage to me, but I can't find a ruling on it.

If I'm using Explosive Missile to trigger a bomb, crit on the longbow's attack, does the bomb crit as well? If so, does it crit at x2 or at the longbow's x3?

I've been trying to find ways to boost the Bomb's save DC (other than boosting Intelligence). I've found Ability Focus, but I'm not sure that applies to the Bomb - does it? Also, are there any other ways to boost the DC?

Also, if I'm misusing an ability or you see a better way to construct the character, please let me know! Thanks in advance.