PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of the Dragons [Exalted campaign journal]

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-11, 03:22 AM
I know that not everyone who reads my threads is very familiar with Exalted, so I'll begin this thread with some explanations, such to keep everyone on the same page. :smallsmile:

The powers who created the Exalted had intentions in mind with each type - the Solars were to embody perfection and glory, the Lunars mercurial cunning, and the Sidereals auspicious insight...

The Terrestrials, the Chosen of the Dragons, were to be soldiers, and in that, they excelled. Rather than rooted in a single Exaltation that flies from host to host, the power of the Elemental Dragons passes down through the blood, allowing for humanity to be uplifted through legacy. Though an individual Dragon-Blooded is far outmatched by a Solar in raw power, the Terrestrials possess a knack for teamwork that goes unsurpassed.

After the First Age, Creation passed from the Solar Exalted to the Terrestrials; it was not a peaceful transition, and the world suffered greatly for it. The wonders forged by the hands of the god-kings could not be recreated by its inheritors; for the greatest of these, even maintenance was out of their reach, and so many great things were slowly lost to the world.

The Dragon-Blooded Shogunate did its best to protect the world it was given, but Creation could not have been ready for the horrors of the Great Contagion, nor the Balorian Crusade. Though eventually stopped by the actions of the soon-to-be Scarlet Empress, these twin apocalypses rocked the world to its core, and wrought such devastation that even now, centuries later, humanity has yet to fully recover.

Lookshy is a city-state in the Scavenger Lands; it is the last remant of the old Shogunate, never having bowed to the Scarlet Empress when she rose up and declared her rule of Creation. It is a militaristic state, and one of the few places in Creation where the blood of the Dragons still remains strong. It is a place in which a few wonders of the lost Age still survive, cautiously maintained by teams of dedicated sorcerer-engineers.

What greatness will be wrought in Lookshy? What will be the legacy of the Dragons?

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-11, 03:23 AM
Cast of Characters

Let's introduce the player characters, shall we? :smallsmile:

Karal Kegan
BackstoryKaral Kegan was born into a Dragon-Blooded family of good breeding - however, as the years passed with no sign of Exaltation, Kegan's family gave up hope of him Exalting, and allowed him to do as he wished... and Kegan wanted to join the military.

The field forces of Lookshy were quite happy to take him in, and in the course of his training, he decided that he would become one of the Gunzosha. The Gunzosha, you see, are elite mortal soldiers who, in order to be able to attune to the specialized suits of power armor, have undergone a series of surgeries, in which magitech implants and armor pieces are riveted into their bodies, but in the process, have their lifespan cut down drastically. :smalleek:

However, after a few months, Kegan found himself and his group being overwhelmed in a battle. Nonetheless, he roared in defiance and stood against the enemy, giving his comrades enough time to regroup and withdraw. As the clamor of battle faded, he came to realize that he had taken the Second Breath, and inherited the power of the Dragons.

In addition to being skilled as a soldier, Kegan was a talented, passionate speaker, and fiercely loyal to Lookshy's military; as such, the First Field Force was happy to further his career. Karal Kegan found himself quickly promoted to Taizei, and presented with a number of artifacts to accompany his promotion.DescriptionKaral Kegan is a Fire Aspect with long ash-white hair. He is in his early twenties, and is unnaturally graceful in movement. Since his Exaltation, he has been gifted with a suit of red jade power armor, as well as a red jade reaper daiklave named "No-Lion's Fall," and a magical red jade shield. His highest skills are in melee combat and words of inspiration, but given his background, he's no slouch with regard to the other fighting arts.

Teresu Mizusou
BackstoryBlessed with the might of the Water Dragon at only age 12, Teresu Mizusou was exposed to the talents that Terrestrials of his aspect excelled at; however, his teachers soon realized that his greatest talents lied in martial arts, and it was this field that consumed his interest. Graduating from Lookshy's training, he became a Chozei in the naval forces, but his real passion was rooted in the storied Immaculate Styles.

Between tours of duty, Mizusou decided to visit a distant cousin, a martial artist who lived by the seashore a distance from Lookshy. Teresu Enkaishishou, a talented practitioner of the fabled Water Dragon Style, permitted Mizusou to study under him.DescriptionMizusou is a muscular fighter with an iron stamina; though his techniques have become increasingly refined under his cousin's tutelage, his movements are not yet fluid as the fabled Water Dragon. When not in uniform, Mizusou wears a set of black jade superheavy full plate, named "The Unstoppable Wake."

Teresu Mizusou spends much of his time training in a manse that he shares with his mentor; this manse takes the form of a cave in the seaside cliff face, lined with fine fountains of dark blue lapis lazuli, engraved with depictions of martial artists performing complicated katas.

Karal Sakura
BackstoryKaral Sakura, of Gens Karal of Lookshy, was trained as any other potential Dragon-Blooded of Lookshy. Her family observed that she excelled at archery, and so it became a hobby of hers; Lookshyans rarely have leisure time, but Sakura would spend hers practicing with a small group of peers.

Around the time of her fifteenth birthday, she and her friends were heading home when their path was blocked by a rabid omen dog, which attacked the group. Reacting on instinct she nocked an arrow and shot at the beast, distracting it from the rest of the group as they ran. She continued to shoot it as it charged toward her, howling with rage. She felt a sudden surge of calm and was surrounded by white cherry blossom petals carried on a strange green wind. As the animal jumped to pin her she nocked one last arrow and shot it into the creatures exposed throat. She pushed the animal off of her and did her best to wipe away the blood it had spilled.

A celebration was had that night for the newest dragon-blooded of Gens Karal, and while she did not exalt into the fire aspect as most of her family they were nonetheless proud of her achievement. It was decided that she would be arranged to wed Teresu Mizusou of the Gens Teresu, for even though she was was not the aspect of her family she was still of good breeding and thus it was her duty to someday provide children that may one day exalt. Once she reached adulthood she was given a position in the First Field Force, and her family gifted her with a respectable panoply.DescriptionKaral Sakura is a young woman in the prime of her life, a Wood Aspect with keen eyes and a compassionate nature. She wears the red armor of a First Field Force soldier, along with a red jade powerbow and a quiver stocked with arrows.

Sakura is attuned to a manse that belongs to her family. It is a magical fortress called "Sacred Jade," and she is its hearthstone-bearer. She also has befriended a hawk that she keeps as a familiar.

Ixen Kothar
BackstoryIxen Kothar did not belong to any of Lookshy's established families - it surprised many when this low-born citizen was blessed by the Fire Dragon during his training in the military. His primary ambition became that of self-improvement, which the First Field Legion was sure they could offer him, where he rose through the ranks to become a Taizei.DescriptionKothar stands a little under six feet tall, with spiky red hair, a tattoo on one arm, and a fairly physical build. In battle, Kothar wears a suit of red jade articulated plate armor, as well as a red jade daiklave.

In his travels, he has befriended a simhata, and also discovered a manse hidden in a forest southeast of Lookshy. This manse appears as a multi-storied indoor garden of unbelievable fecundity - the fruit that grows here could feed fifty, and never ages past full ripeness until it has been picked from the vine.

Tepet Kagearashi
BackstoryParts of Kagearashi's backstory are currently being withheld; suffice it to say that we'll see it in action soon enough. In the meantime, know that he Exalted as an Air Aspect on the Blessed Isle, but had to part ways with the Realm, electing to take up residence in Lookshy and seek work as an infiltrator therein.

Lookshy has been surprisingly willing to take him in, considering their history of conflict with the Realm; nonetheless, sometimes he feels a watchful eye on him as he goes about the city.DescriptionKagearashi appears as a fair-skinned Dynast of average height, and fairly high pedigree that betray his associations with the element of Air - a bluish tint to his hair, icy eyes, a slight chill that accompanies his ephemeral grace. Despite having spent years now in Lookshy, Kagearashi still doesn't feel comfortable wearing the traditional Lookshy garb, deigning instead to dress in more elegant finery than their customary simple cloaks.

Lookshy has given him a suit of black jade power armor that enhances his stealth, "the Veil of Soundless Shadows," but he takes with him from the Realm a black jade wavecleaver daiklave named "Void Zephyr," a shortish blade designed for use on a ship and other close-quarters areas.

He is attuned to a manse that appears as a comfortable tower of opaque blue crystal, in which a number of fine pennants and flags hang. Always present in this smallish structure is a soft, musical susurrus, the source of which is not readily apparent.

My apologies for the placeholders - I'll be sure and update this, after I've gotten correct spellings, copies of backstories, et cetera, from my players... which will occur after I've gotten some sleep. :smalleek:

Sanguine
2011-12-11, 04:52 AM
I can't wait for something significant to be posted.

Also, very nice job describing the setting in a nutshell.

Burnheart
2011-12-11, 01:51 PM
Looking forward to reading more count, correct me if i'm wrong but there is a fifth type of dragonblood that no ones playing isn't there?

Kurosen
2011-12-11, 01:52 PM
So...Can you guess who my character is? :smallbiggrin:

Looking forward to reading more count, correct me if i'm wrong but there is a fifth type of dragonblood that no ones playing isn't there?

There isn't an Earth Aspect, which we were so close to be a team of all five :smallfrown:

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-11, 02:52 PM
I can't wait for something significant to be posted.Hehehe, I've updated a bit since then. :smallamused:

Also, very nice job describing the setting in a nutshell.Thanks. :smallsmile:

Looking forward to reading more countOf course.

correct me if i'm wrong but there is a fifth type of dragonblood that no ones playing isn't there?Correct - there are five Dragon-Blooded Aspects: Air, Earth, Fire, Water, and Wood. We don't have an Earth Aspect. It's not necessary to play as all five, mind you - it just means the team is more diverse.

Where Solar Castes mostly act as guidelines for what the Exalt will do (Dawns generally excel at fighting, Nights at sneaking, Eclipses at diplomacy, and so on), Dragon-Blooded actually have a spot of trouble using Charms outside their respective Aspect, even if they've gone and favored the Ability in question. :smalleek:

So...Can you guess who my character is?It's a mystery! :smalltongue:

Prelude

While we waited for two of our players to arrive (family stuff, I understand), I ran a brief prelude for the others.

Karal Kegan and Ixen Kothar were traveling with a talon of First Field Force soldiers to the northern part of the Scavenger Lands. The First Field Force, by the way, is mostly composed of special units, recon, and high-mobility troops. Units of these soldiers get deployed in urban warfare, close-quarter operations, really anywhere where elite shock troops are the best solution. The First Field Force's units wear red armor.

They came across some Linowan river pirates, and it was time for some action.

Meanwhile, a Lookshyan Manta-class skyship, a flying First Age troop transport, flies overhead. Kagearashi looks down at the pirate ships, and recalls his orders: he is to disable these ships. He activates the cloaking device in his power armor, and then leaps from the skyship, directing his fall to land on one of the pirate ships. During the last bit of his descent, though, his fall slows until he lands soundlessly on the hull, and then draws his blade and gets to work.

From Karal Kegan's point of view, one of the pirate ships abruptly turned and slammed into another of them. Kegan and Kothar sound the attack, and then Kegan charges up an elemental bolt of fire, channeling it through the gauntlet of his power armor, and releases it as a blazing fireball on one of the other pirate ships, and Kothar makes a flying leap onto one of the other ships, sword blazing with the fires of his anima.

It was a good day for battle. :smallamused:

After the battle, Kegan asks to speak with Kagearashi in the officers' tent. Kegan admits that he had heard of the supposed defector from the Realm, and is pleasantly surprised by Kagearashi's skills. Kagearashi replies that he is simply doing his job. Kegan is just a little curious about Kagearashi's motives, but the Air Aspect seems a tad evasive, not quite willing to open up to him, so Kegan lets it drop for now, and begins celebrating the defeat of the river pirates.

Burnheart
2011-12-11, 04:50 PM
So...Can you guess who my character is? :smallbiggrin:

Karal Sakura :smalltongue: no wait that's not right she's probably Yuki's players new character hmm then i'd say Ixen Kothar :smallwink:

Also thats a nice way to meet people, slaughter lots of criminals together :smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-11, 04:59 PM
no wait that's not right she's probably Yuki's players new characterYep. :smallamused:

Also thats a nice way to meet people, slaughter lots of criminals togetherActually, if memory serves, most of them were simply captured, not killed.

Burnheart
2011-12-11, 06:02 PM
Actually, if memory serves, most of them were simply captured, not killed.

Oh i see, bunch of nice guys are you? :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2011-12-11, 06:34 PM
Oh i see, bunch of nice guys are you? :smallbiggrin:

Notice that they're Terrestials and not Green Sun Princes. Slight difference of morality, there. :smalltongue:

Sanguine
2011-12-11, 06:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, why is Kagearashi decked out in black jade? There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that everyone else has equipment made from the color of jade associated with their aspect.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-11, 07:15 PM
Notice that they're Terrestials and not Green Sun Princes. Slight difference of morality, there.I dunno, Terrestrials and Green Sun Princes have the same capacity for morality, for compassion, and for cruelty.

If you don't believe me, look at Marama from Dreams of the First Age. (shudder)

Just out of curiosity, why is Kagearashi decked out in black jade?I'll leave his player, pondeshonda, to answer that. :smallamused:

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that everyone else has equipment made from the color of jade associated with their aspect.Uhh, not everybody. Sakura's a Wood Aspect, and she's wearing red jade.

pondeshonda
2011-12-11, 07:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, why is Kagearashi decked out in black jade? There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that everyone else has equipment made from the color of jade associated with their aspect.

It all ties into his background, his great-grand father's sword is black jade and backstorywise he is the same aspect and has alot of the same beginning charms that he did as well. It was really a personal decision to have the armor as black jade rather then blue to better fit into his job description.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-11, 07:53 PM
Session I - A Shade Creeps Over Lookshy...

Lookshy, a sprawling city of blue stone, sits at the point where the mighty Yanaze River meets the Inland Sea. It is at the docks overlooking said sea that we first spot Mizusou, who is taking the opportunity to practice his katas during some downtime. As he goes through the motions, an observer praises his skill, to which he replies, "I can do better." A moment later, this praise is repeated, but in a more familiar voice; Mizusou turns and sees that his mentor has come to pay him a visit... and start him on some more training.

He instructs his cousin to stand on the beach and assume a martial stance; Mizusou does so, and finds a strange finned being matching poses against him. Enkaishishou has summoned a water elemental to help him train; this water spirit, bound to serve for a year and a day, will serve as Mizusou's partner for "pushing hands" exercises.

Meanwhile, Ixen Kothar, Karal Sakura, and Karal Kegan are in the District of Barracks; Ixen Kothar is engaging in some specialized melee training with a number of his subordinates, while Karal Kegan gives speeches to troops, and Sakura is teaching cryptography.

At the same time, Tepet Kagearashi is walking about the District of Trade, looking at whatever catches his eye. Kagearashi spots a "scavenger lord," one of those folk who seek out ruins of the previous Age and scour them for artifacts, and begins speaking with him. Apparently this shortish scavenger lord is looking to sell off some articles he discovered: something that looks like a computerized wristwatch, and five largish coins of blue jade.

Kagearashi recognizes the latter to not be coins at all, but magical devices known as "Wind-Slave Disks." By pressing one to an object with an expenditure of Essence, a Wind-Slave Disk will magically-adhere to the object and lighten its weight by 500 pounds... or, if it weighs less than 500 pounds, enable it to fly. :smalleek: Interested in them, he inquires as to what price the scavenger lord would ask; the scavenger lord asks quite a sum from him, but after some negotiation, Kagearashi is able to buy it for two thousand dinars, eighty pounds of silver. Not exactly an out-of-pocket purchase for him, but still managable.

On a hunch, Kagearashi utilizes a technique that's proven useful to him time and again, "Observer Awareness Method," expanding his senses to realize that he is being watched. :smalleek: Assuming it's just one of Lookshy's intelligence agents checking up on him, he just turns in the direction of the watchful eyes, smiles, and casually points a finger toward his observer. :smallamused:

Following that, he travels to a restaurant, and purchases a savory chicken soup, and even though he has resided in Lookshy for a few years now, he is still unused to the Lookshyan custom of covering one's food in painfully-hot spices. As he eats, an exhausted Mizusou wanders into the restaurant, having spent the last six hours practicing techniques. The two give one another a casual eye, and then Mizusou orders an extra-spicy seafood dish. :smallamused:

A common means of communication in Lookshy, many Dragon-Blooded use a Charm called "Wind-Carried Words Technique" to message one another; with it, a simple message can be conveyed on the air itself, conveyed across the distance with but a whisper. Back in the District of Barracks, Kothar, Sakura, and Kegan receive such a message from one of their superiors, Shozei Tanaka, requesting a meeting. When they arrive, he begins to discuss with them a relatively-sensitive matter: namely, some of the higher-ups are concerned that a criminal band might be working its way into Lookshy.

Rumors abound of the "Five Shades Organization," but there is relatively concrete information. As such, unsure of their intentions, the higher-ups would like a relatively-covert investigation. One lead the group is given to start with is the name of a scavenger lord - apparently, most of his wares had been stolen that day, shortly after Kagearashi had made his purchase. :smalleek:

Kegan asks if it would be all right to include Kagearashi in this, because of the Air Aspect's amazing penchant for stealth. Tanaka agrees, and so Kegan sends him a Wind-Carried Words Technique asking for him to come and meet with them shortly. Soon Kagearashi is filled in on the details, and he agrees to help discover the nature of the Five Shades. Tanaka departs, and then the group decides to meet with the scavenger lord and ask him some questions. Kagearashi decides to first don his stealth suit, the Veil of Soundless Shadows, while the others dress in unassuming commoner's clothing.

With Kagearashi invisible and the others appearing to be ordinary folk, they head to the rented residence of the scavenger lord, and Kegan begins asking him questions about his recent loss, particularly if he had any enemies that would be behind this theft. The scavenger lord confesses that he had confronted a competitor once while exploring a tomb, a fellow named White Mountain, who mentioned something about shades and a clan best forgotten. :smallconfused:

Following that, Kegan decides to see if some of the shadier merchants might have knowledge of the Five Shades. He disguises himself with a porcelain fox-mask, and asks Kagearashi to come with him, and whisper in his ear if the person with whom he is speaking is deceiving him.

Kegan finds one of the more influential peddlers, a strange, hooded dwarfish fellow who wears a few too many coats, though a jade hearthstone amulet can be seen peeping from between two of his jackets. Thanks to Kegan's sly demeanor and a tactful use of "Auspicious First Meeting Attitude," the two hit it off rather nicely.

Kegan asks the merchant if he trades information as well as rarities, and the merchant replies, "I can sell you one or the other tonight, but not both." Kegan elects to buy a name from the merchant, inquring as to the nature of "White Mountain." The merchant names his price, but it appears to be a little high for Kegan, whose wages did not increase with his rank. After a bit of haggling, the masked Kegan comes to an agreement with him: the merchant will accept an IOU, as it were, but first Kegan will reveal his identity, to ensure that he doesn't skip out on their deal.

Kegan doffs his mask, introducing himself anew to the merchant, who is pleasantly-surprised by this revelation. The merchant begins to explain to him what he knows of White Mountain and the Five Shades, namely that they're a loose confederation of five criminal gangs, each of which acts as one "finger" of this criminal conspiracy...

The Clan Hidden in the Mist strikes from surprise and stages "accidental" deaths.
The Mountain Clan are experts at bribery and blackmail.
The Midnight Smoke Syndicate uses arson and sabotage.
The Guild of the Ever-Shifting Breeze utilizes burglary, espionage, and undercover work.
The Clan Best Forgotten is a clan of master poisoners and rural bandits.

They're all tied together, however, by a supernatural martial art they share, the "Fivefold Shadow Hand Style."

As for White Mountain, White Mountain is a scavenger lord who sells his wares primarily in Nexus, a city to the east of Lookshy. Naturally, the group decides they'll need to travel to Nexus. :smallamused: Heading back to the District of Barracks, they explain their plan to Tanaka, who makes some arrangements for them to travel by ship to Nexus. Guess which naval officer's taking them. :smalltongue:

So, Mizusou is brought into this little conspiracy, after they explain to him the need to travel to Nexus. It'll take a week via river travel, and they'll leave in the morning. Everyone brings along their artifacts and such (and Sakura and Kothar are bringing their familiars), but hoping they won't need them, seeing how they can't just go in busting heads and whatnot. :smalleek:

As they begin loading up the boat, Kagearashi feels the urge to use Observer Awareness Method again, and is able to spot a male figure across the dock, clad in a yellow body wrap that makes his features anonymous, seated in a meditative pose atop a shipping crate, watching. :smalleek:

Kagearashi attempts to get the drop on this observer by hiding and utilizing his invisibility, but when he does so, the fellow is gone. Kagearashi books it over to where he spotted the guy, but even with his player making some amazing rolls, is only able to track him down to the District of Trade. :smalleek: Unable to find him, he finally just returns to the ship, and informs the others, before the ship sets sail for Nexus.

The trip is, for the most part, uneventful, though on the second day they encounter a Realm ship from Gray Falls headed downriver. They have a bit of a standoff as they pass each other by, but no incident results from it. A few days later, it rains, and from the slippery deck materializes the water elemental, who beckons Mizusou to come and train with him. Not daunted in the slightest by the sight, Kothar climbs up on deck and practices with his swords as Mizusou and the elemental push hands.

All in all, though, the trip is safe, and unless something big happens, they'll reach Nexus at the start of next session! :smallsmile:

Kurosen
2011-12-11, 07:53 PM
hmm then i'd say Ixen Kothar :smallwink:

Nope! My character this time around is a lot more disciplined.:smallwink:

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-11, 08:14 PM
Nope! My character this time around is a lot more disciplined.:smallwink:Idunno, Kothar's pretty disciplined. Hell, he's a Taizei in the First Field Force, his Motivation is self-improvement, and his primary Virtue is Conviction. :smalltongue:

Kurosen
2011-12-11, 10:41 PM
Idunno, Kothar's pretty disciplined. Hell, he's a Taizei in the First Field Force, his Motivation is self-improvement, and his primary Virtue is Conviction. :smalltongue:

I'm not giving away any more though...except that my character is quite Calm

Sanguine
2011-12-12, 03:26 AM
I'm thinking Mizusou.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-12, 04:50 AM
I'm thinking Mizusou.Right you are.

Anyway, glad you guys are enjoying this so far - we'll be playing again soon, but in January we'll be switching to a biweekly schedule again.

Caliphbubba
2011-12-12, 08:13 AM
Just wanted to say that your last campaign journal was one of the reasons I started to get the Exalted books. I'm looking forward to reading of the adventures of this new crop of Exalts.

Sanguine
2011-12-12, 08:32 AM
Okay, who thinks yellow body wrap guy is a Sidereal? Raise your hand. *Raises hand*

Tavar
2011-12-12, 10:04 AM
Raises both hands.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-12, 11:35 AM
Oh, I can't reveal all my details, you two... :smallamused:

Just wanted to say that your last campaign journal was one of the reasons I started to get the Exalted books. I'm looking forward to reading of the adventures of this new crop of Exalts.Yet White Wolf still won't pay me royalties! :smalltongue:

I kid, I kid; I'm glad you're enjoying this. :smallbiggrin:

Burnheart
2011-12-12, 01:34 PM
Yet White Wolf still won't pay me royalties! :smalltongue:

I think they should :smalltongue: or mabe just making the rule easier to use would be enough for you? :smallbiggrin:

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-12, 01:47 PM
or mabe just making the rule easier to use would be enough for you?I think I'll be a happy camper when the errata comes out. :smalltongue:

Volthawk
2011-12-12, 02:55 PM
Oh , those elemental ninja martial artist guys are the antagonists. Haven't heard of them being used in a game before. Will be interesting to see what happens with that.

KaganMonk
2011-12-13, 09:51 PM
Okay, who thinks yellow body wrap guy is a Sidereal? Raise your hand. *Raises hand*

When in doubt, a Sidereal (http://agents.patternspider.net/archive/aoy0034.html) did it (http://agents.patternspider.net/archive/aoy0059.html).

Skelengar
2011-12-16, 12:03 AM
This certainly looks interesting. I haven't read the GSP campaign journal yet, but I plan to soon.

The Gunzosha, you see, are elite mortal soldiers who, in order to be able to attune to the specialized suits of power armor, have undergone a series of surgeries, in which magitech implants and armor pieces are riveted into their bodies, but in the process, have their lifespan cut down drastically. :smalleek:

However, after a few months, Kegan found himself and his group being overwhelmed in a battle. Nonetheless, he roared in defiance and stood against the enemy, giving his comrades enough time to regroup and withdraw. As the clamor of battle faded, he came to realize that he had taken the Second Breath, and inherited the power of the Dragons.

If I recall, this happens enough that the Gunzosha manual has an entire section detailing how to deal with mid battle Exaltations. :smallcool:

Lord Raziere
2011-12-16, 12:58 AM
In First Age at least. Doubt Lookshy has the same manuals in the Second.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-22, 09:49 AM
Finally added in the backstory for Karal Sakura. :smallsmile:

Wasn't able to game last night; two of our players are having to deal with moving.

Burnheart
2011-12-22, 11:48 AM
Finally added in the backstory for Karal Sakura. :smallsmile:

Wasn't able to game last night; two of our players are having to deal with moving.

Ah a horror i will have to face next year :smallsigh: When is the next opportunity for you guys to game?

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-29, 01:08 AM
When is the next opportunity for you guys to game?January. :smallsigh:

Screw January; we decided to play tonight. :smalltongue:

Technically this is more than one session's worth of stuff, but I'm calling it one, because games have a way of slowing to a crawl when multiple players are forced to appear as talking heads on a computer monitor. :smalltongue:

Session II: Poor Man's Breath

The assembled Lookshyan group continues its travels, eventually reaching the outlands surrounding Nexus. Poorly-maintained hostels and overly-pricy teahouses lie between vast, high-walled estates, and in paddies, groups of slaves tend to the low-quality "swamp rice" that grows there. As the boat travels along the river, Mizusou, Sakura, Kegan, and Kothar hear a scream coming from the bank.

A bedraggled slave-girl, her limbs covered in nasty bites, is half-running, half-limping from a pack of massive rats, each at least the size of a wolf; the head of the pack, however, appears to be a rodent with which dozens of smaller rats have been fused, forming a squeaking, teeming mass the size of a bull. :smalleek: The group springs into action.

Kegan and Kothar are both exceedingly-good jumpers, and are able to leap from the deck to the shore in a single bound, drawing their swords as they soar. Mizusou, on the other hand, flips off the hull and begins running on the surface of the water. Sakura, though? She just pulls out her bow and begins shooting the rats. :smallamused:

The rats prove to be a minimal challenge for a team of trained Dragon-Blooded soldiers, naturally, and are quickly dispatched by their efforts. Flaming blades, water-charged fists, et cetera... Sakura strikes the killing blow to the king-rat, charging a flurry of frog-crotch arrows with her wood-essence, causing razored thorns to sprout from its body as it dies, and then the group sees to the injured slave-girl.

Sakura uses her magic to quell the possibility of infections as she treats wounds, while the girl explains to Kegan that she was attacked by the rats while attending to one of the rice-paddies. Kegan decides that it would be prudent to take advantage of the situation, and get some information about Nexus. They quickly get into contact with the slave-girl's master, and explain how they saved her from the rats; he gratefully takes them in for an informative talk about the Threshold Jewel.

Meanwhile, Kagearashi is belowdecks, dreaming deeply; he sees himself imprisoned in the blackest depths. Though there is no light to see by, he senses the presence of something both physically and metaphysically vast and terrifying. It strikes against his cage, which shatters and explodes, never to hold him captive again, at which point he begins rapidly ascending, finding himself... in a shop. :smallconfused:

The shop in question is stocked with rows upon rows of elegant hand-made masks of all sorts of varieties. An unassuming, but attractive, girl tends to the shop, and welcomes Kagearashi to the shop, introducing herself as "Rina." She informs him that she brought him here because she seeks something from him.

A tad suspicious, he asks who she really is, prompting Rina to ask if he really wants to know. He asserts that this is the case, and so she gently reaches up and pulls her face off, revealing an even more beautiful visage, and explains that she is a goddess who operates a shop in Nexus, where she sells these wondrous masks... and that recently, someone from the organization Kagearashi seeks stole one of these masks.

You see, these little creations of hers are no mere bits of wood and clay; each is imbued with the tiniest portion of her divine power, providing the wearer with a minor blessing, enhancing a particular facet of a skill... and so, as one can imagine, this theft is something she frowns upon.

Kagearashi asks what she can tell him of the Five Shades; Rina tells him that the Five Shades are the ones behind the theft, and that while some of the Five Shades may be Dragon-Blooded, God-Blooded, or even mere mortals, all of them have had their Essences mystically awakened by some means.

Specifically, the thief was a wood-aspected Terrestrial, one with a missing arm... :smallconfused:

Kagearashi agrees to help Rina, stating that if he finds the mask, he will return it to her, after which he awakens. He speaks to some of the crew, who explain the incident with the rats and the slave-girl, and suggest that he meet with the others. He quickly makes his way there, and they begin discussing how they're going to proceed in Nexus.

They decide to split up and operate in different parts of the city; Mizusou and Kothar will infiltrate some of the various fight clubs and such, looking for signs of the Five Shades. Kagearashi will "pose" as a Dynast looking to do some business with the Guild, and Sakura and a masked Kegan will ask for leads in Lookshy-town.

On a hunch, Sakura decides to look over the rat-corpses again, and in this examination she catches sight of something she'd missed before: these rats were infected with the plague. :smalleek:

Based on this, the group has to make some adjustments to its plan; after all, it's likely that if there's plague outside Nexus, it might well be inside Nexus as well. As the Chosen of the Dragons, they are themselves immune to the plague, nor would they act as carriers; however, the presence of the plague in Nexus would almost-certainly prove problematic to their goals.

The idea is volunteered that Sakura's healing skills, offered freely, could help their efforts, even if she is currently incapable of using her magic to purge the plague from others. Sakura agrees, and so the group heads into Nexus.

Sakura and Kegan dock in the Nighthammer District, the harbor of which less resembles a proper waterfront, and more something that was built over a part of the city that was suddenly submerged under perhaps twenty feet of water. This district is alive with the pounding of metal and the roar of foundries, and the two notice a strange "snow" of ash, angue, and other substances. Kegan dons his fox-mask again, and they travel to the Lookshyan embassy, keeping an eye out for any signs of plague.

Meanwhile, Mizusou and Kothar, sans the majority of their precious artifacts, decide to ask around, quickly finding their way to the "Pit," the most notorious fighting arena in Nexus. They hear of its famed fighter, Panther, who is famed for both his skill and his brutality. They decide, though, when the entry fee is too much, that they will try for some other places, for now at least.

Deciding on a lower-key locale, the duo discover an illegal fighting-ring wherein the fighters battle each other, animals, and sometimes even stranger things, while the people gathered make bets on the winners. Kothar and Mizusou are each made to fight a number of dogs, Mizusou electing to do so with his bare hands, though in the end he finishes them off with his Dragon-Claw Elemental Strikes, impressing the crowd with his watery finishers, while Kothar elects for less-flashy means, simply running the canines through with his sword.

Kagearashi wanders casually into the city, once more dressed in the finery of a Realm Dynast. He observes that the architecture of the city is, for the most part, something hastily assembled out of salvaged stone and iron, straw, and wood... save for a small number of masterfully-built towers, surely remnants of the First Age. Kagearashi decides to take one of the jade-and-steel cable cars that go through the Nexus District, and disembarks near the building where the Guild is headquartered.

The lower floors of this building are, in Kagearashi's player's words, "A bizarre mix of Target and bordello," and to be fair, it's an accurate summation: a department store in which everything and everyone is for sale. Acting the part of the profit-obsessed Dynast, he shops, he haggles, and he bargains, until he has purchased a year's supply of drugs and a whole load of ivory sculptures aside, all for a tad more than a talent of silver.

With that business concluded, he asks if perhaps this particular dealer might know people he could contact for illicit business. The man seems to be ignorant of the subject... at least until Kagearashi hints that cooperation might mean future business. :smallamused: The guy says that while he doesn't personally know those sorts of people, he nonetheless might be able to pull some strings.

Within Lookshy-town, Sakura and Kegan have seen no signs of the plague, and have discussed the disease with the Lookshyan embassy; those assembled have likewise seen no signs of it, but are gravely concerned at the prospect. Kegan suggests that if the plague spreads, Sakura would be able to help treat the outbreak. Kegan also inquires as to who he might seek out with regard to knowledge of the Five Shades, and the ambassador hushedly suggests Ephiselle, the Midnight Queen and one of the Councilors of Nexus, though he explains that it is unlawful to speak or write out her exact profession. :smalleek: Nonetheless, he'll see what he can do to arrange a meeting for Kegan.

Sakura decides to look in the poorer parts of town, this time wandering into the ramshackle district of Firewander... right into a quarantine. :smalleek: Sure enough, the plague is running rampant here, and Sakura's heart calls out to her, so she begins doing her best to treat the poor folk therein. Unfortunately, Sakura has never treated a disease this virulent, and thus even successfully treating a couple of patients has taken almost all of her medical supplies and quite a lot of time. Worse yet, being in the quarantined zone, she is not allowed to leave. :eek:

She sends a message via Wind-Carried Words Technique to Kegan and Kagearashi, explaining her situation and asking for them to see about obtaining some more medical supplies for her. Unfortunately, Kagearashi's purchase was a rather significant investment, leaving his coffers temporarily bare. He and Kegan are only able to procure a threadbare amount of supplies for Sakura. Following that, Kegan decides to travel to Nexus District and speak with Hayle, the Midday Husband, the Councilor who sees to public health.

As one of the nine most wealthy and influential people in the city, Hayle certainly looks the part. When Kegan explains the plague conditions in Firewander, Hayle professes to already know it as such, hence the quarantine - the Councilors have deemed it such that they will simply isolate the sick and let nature run its course. Kegan, though, professes that perhaps if Sakura is able to track down the source of this disease, putting a stop to it might be easier. Hayle reluctantly agrees, giving Sakura permission to seek out the origin of the disease.

That was it for the night. Hope you lot enjoyed reading it. :smallsmile:

Burnheart
2011-12-29, 09:08 AM
Oh this is looking good, can't wait for the next update :smallbiggrin: How good of a healer is Sakura?

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-29, 01:30 PM
Oh this is looking good, can't wait for the next updateOnce again, glad you enjoyed it. :smallsmile:

How good of a healer is Sakura?Well, she has, I believe, two or three dots in Medicine; paired with decent mental faculties, her dice pools are good enough to reliably treat lesser wounds and fractures, and maybe treat infections and lesser diseases without too much difficulty.

She also has at least one Medicine Charm that I can call, "Infection-Banishing Prana," in which she simply touches a wounded patient, and magically prevents their wounds from getting infected. Very helpful as a soldier.

Still, the plague is one of the more virulent and difficult to treat diseases of the setting, one of the only ones even close to being feared as much as the legendary Great Contagion.

Burnheart
2011-12-29, 03:42 PM
legendary Great Contagion? :smallconfused:

Volthawk
2011-12-29, 03:53 PM
legendary Great Contagion? :smallconfused:

Disease devised and unleashed by one of the Deathlords (the Dowager - not gonna go into the full name, as I can't remember it). Killed a huge proportion of the population - nine in ten - and may have killed more if it weren't for the Fair Folk (other Deathlords told them about Creation's weakness and they surged in, and the Dowager claims that all that pure chaos screwed up the Contagion's entropic forces, meaning it didn't kill everyone). Abyssals can create and spread a weaker version of it through their Medicine charms.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-29, 04:32 PM
Great Contagion Discussion:
the Dowager - not gonna go into the full name, as I can't remember itYes, the Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils. :smallamused:

Disease devised and unleashed by one of the Deathlords.Unleashed, yes. Devised, perhaps. Other sources posit the suggestion that she instead simply drew it up from the Well of Udr, or was granted it by Abhorrence of Life.

...other Deathlords...The First and Forsaken Lion, and Eye and Seven Despairs, if memory serves.

other Deathlords told them about Creation's weakness and they surged in, and the Dowager claims that all that pure chaos screwed up the Contagion's entropic forces, meaning it didn't kill everyone.Or it could just be that the Dowager is a catty ***** who, upon seeing her plan fail, immediately decided to shift the blame onto someone plausible. :smallamused:

Weird how much of the setting history is dependent on one's point of view. :smalltongue:

Abyssals can create and spread a weaker version of it through their Medicine charms.Whether it's weaker or not is likewise debatable - the books even hints that it might simply be that Creation, having survived, has since built up a resistance to it.

Either way, those who survive any strain of the Great Contagion find themselves forever immune to all strains of it...

Kymme
2011-12-29, 04:54 PM
They're all tied together, however, by a supernatural martial art they share, the "Fivefold Shadow Hand Style"

Im feelin' a Tome of Battle reference here. :smallwink:
Also, awesome journal.
I've played exalted before, and i'm kinda wondering what the deal is with the power armor and whatnot?:smallconfused:

Volthawk
2011-12-29, 04:56 PM
Yes, the Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils. :smallamused:

Yeah, her.

Unleashed, yes. Devised, perhaps. Other sources posit the suggestion that she instead simply drew it up from the Well of Udr, or was granted it by Abhorrence of Life.

True, true.

The First and Forsaken Lion, and Eye and Seven Despairs, if memory serves.

Yeah, those two. Remembered Faffles, didn't remember Eye and Seven Despairs, as he's one of the deathlords I haven't really looked at much.

Or it could just be that the Dowager is a catty ***** who, upon seeing her plan fail, immediately decided to shift the blame onto someone plausible. :smallamused:

Weird how much of the setting history is dependent on one's point of view. :smalltongue:

Which is why I said it might have done more, not that it definitely would.

And yeah, points of view are important to take into consideration, especially when dealing with beings like the deathlords. Pettiness and cattiness are what they do.

Whether it's weaker or not is likewise debatable - the book hints that it might simply be that Creation, having survived, has since built up a resistance to it.

Well, given that it has the same effects if applied to, say, a demon in Malfeas (or some other non-Creation being) as it does to a Creation-born (sure it might have a different disease tolerance, but nothing specific to being from or not from Creation), can't say I think that second theory is the reason.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-29, 05:09 PM
Im feelin' a Tome of Battle reference here.Doubtful. This style is literally about manipulating Essence through hand-gestures, and they practice none-too-nice things; I don't think it was intentionally a ToB reference.

I've played exalted before, and i'm kinda wondering what the deal is with the power armor and whatnot?Well, back in the First Age, power armor was pretty prevalent, see, and while most of Creation has effectively been bombed back to the Stone Age a couple of times since then, Lookshy has held a tenuous grasp on at least some of this stuff. :smallamused:

...didn't remember Eye and Seven Despairs, as he's one of the deathlords I haven't really looked at much.As of yet, I'm not certain whether he's scarily-incompetent and bad at hiding it, or scarily-competent and really good at hiding it. :smalleek:

And I'm not sure which is a more terrifying prospect. :eek:

And yeah, points of view are important to take into consideration, especially when dealing with beings like the deathlords. Pettiness and cattiness are what they do.That's for sure. :smallamused:

Well, given that it has the same effects if applied to, say, a demon in Malfeas as it does to a Creation-born, can't say I think that second theory is the reason.Technically, the GC is easier to treat in a supernatural being. But yeah, your point stands.

Britter
2011-12-30, 08:55 AM
Hi TheCountAlucard. Had a quick question here.

I was wondering what you thought the advantages and disadvantages of using Lookshy DBs instead of Realm DBs were. Why did you opt for Lookshy? How familiar are your players with Exalted lore/mechanics in general and did that influence your decision?

Really enjoyed reading your logs! Thanks for taking the time to type them up.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-30, 11:39 AM
I was wondering what you thought the advantages and disadvantages of using Lookshy DBs instead of Realm DBs were.Do you mean story-wise or mechanics-wise?

Why did you opt for Lookshy?
I haven't read the Blessed Isle book in its entirety yet. I HAVE read the Scavenger Lands book, which has quite a lot of helpful stuff on Lookshy.
I didn't want the big themes of this game to be vicious politics or the looming civil war.
I hadn't used gods in any major ways yet, and the gods are VERY subdued on the Blessed Isle thanks to the Immaculate Order.
The Scavenger Lands in general are a pretty interesting place.
More of my players said they wanted to be Lookshyans.
Warstriders and skyships. :smalltongue:

How familiar are your players with Exalted lore/mechanics in general...?On average, this is the group's second to third Exalted game. My players are pretty cool when it comes to doing their homework, though: one actually buys the physical books as she comes to need them, one has a hobby of just making characters for the fun of it, and at least one decided to do quite a bit of research when making this character.

...and did that influence your decision?I don't think it affected my "Lookshy or Realm?" decision, at least.

Really enjoyed reading your logs! Thanks for taking the time to type them up.You're quite welcome. :smallsmile:

Britter
2011-12-30, 12:01 PM
Do you mean story-wise or mechanics-wise?

Well, mostly story, but I would be interested to hear your take on mechanics as well. Obviously, you like the tech aspect of Lookshy's arsenal (which also appeals to me) so how you think that will influence your game and how that might differ from a Realm game would be interesting to hear. Do you think the focus on 1st age stuff (power armor, warstriders, all that jazz) allows you to use more powerful antagonists and help close the gap between your DB pcs and any Anathema foes they may face?

I just got my hands on the Scavenger Lands book, and I find that I really like Lookshy as a setting and a culture more than the Realm - it seems a lot less decadent, and more "actiony" while still retaining the neat geo-political elements of the setting.

I have some people who want to try Exalted and I am thinking of hitting them with a DB game (It is my favorite splat and I like the way reactive charms work for DBs - I think it will be easier to grasp for novices than having to build combos everytime you want to use more than 1 charm at a time), and I am trying to decide on Realm or Lookshy, so that is my reasons for asking - to get opinions.

I haven't read the Blessed Isle book in its entirety yet. I HAVE read the Scavenger Lands book, which has quite a lot of helpful stuff on Lookshy.
I didn't want the big themes of this game to be vicious politics or the looming civil war.
I hadn't used gods in any major ways yet, and the gods are VERY subdued on the Blessed Isle thanks to the Immaculate Order.
The Scavenger Lands in general are a pretty interesting place.
More of my players said they wanted to be Lookshyans.
Warstriders and skyships. :smalltongue:

Nice :smallamused:

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-30, 01:11 PM
Obviously, you like the tech aspect of Lookshy's arsenal (which also appeals to me) so how you think that will influence your game and how that might differ from a Realm game would be interesting to hear.Sure, but I'm going to spoiler it after this point.

Lookshy DiscussionLookshy has a dazzling arsenal of First Age and Shogunate tech, but their hold on it is tenuous. They hold this amazing technology, but they lack the ability to make it themselves, only to maintain it. Worse still, they stand ready to lose it all in this Age of Sorrows.

Well, mostly story, but I would be interested to hear your take on mechanics as well.Well, both are expected by their respective governments to invest their dots a certain way, with Lookshy's being a little more inclusive; heck, Lookshy DBs actually have two of their Charms chosen for them. Another notable difference is that Dynast Dragon-Blooded get extra mileage out of any dots in Manse they might take.

Do you think the focus on 1st age stuff allows you to use more powerful antagonsits and help close the gap between your DB pcs and any Anathema foes they may face?Yes and no; see, the whole "Anathema" thing might not be the case... Lunars and Siddies are in need of errata, leaving just Solar-tier Exalts. :smalleek:

Also, you might note that Lookshy doesn't quite hold to the same Immaculate Faith as the Realm, so they're a bit more pragmatic with regard to the Anathema.

I just got my hands on the Scavenger Lands book, and I find that I really like Lookshy as a setting and a culture more than the Realm - it seems a lot less decadent, and more "actiony" while still retaining the neat geo-political elements of the setting.Cool, hope you enjoy using it. :smallsmile:

I have some people who want to try Exalted and I am thinking of hitting them with a DB game'kay.

and I am trying to decide on Realm or Lookshy, so that is my reasons for asking - to get opinions.They're both good choices, but they will play out as different games.

Skelengar
2011-12-31, 12:24 AM

The First and Forsaken Lion, and Eye and Seven Despairs, if memory serves.
Was Eye and Seven Despairs involved in the Balorian Crusade? I find it hard to imagine him doing something useful.

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-31, 05:31 AM

Was Eye and Seven Despairs involved in the Balorian Crusade?Yes; supposedly the effort to communicate Creation's weakness to the Fair Folk was a collaborative effort.

I find it hard to imagine him doing something useful.Again, this might vary depending on whether he is bad at his job and bad at hiding it, or good at his job and really good at hiding it. Need I remind you of the zombie virus incident? :smalleek:

Sanguine
2012-01-04, 08:03 PM
Great Contagion Discussion
An important aspect of the Great Contagion, at least in my opinion, seems to have been neglected.

That is that it didn't just kill humans but 90% of everything. People, Plants, Gods, the microbial agents that normally aid in decomposition. Everything.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-04, 09:52 PM
Might I suggest we move further Great Contagion Discussion to the General Exalted Discussion thread? :smallsmile:

Or give it its own topic, whichever works. :smalltongue:

Tavar
2012-01-07, 02:48 AM
Just to confirm: Fivefold Shadow Hand style premiered, at the latest, in November of 2006. Tome of Battle was published in August of the same year, so it's unlikely that one was an influence for the other.

Spoiler, for the Count:
Sidereals and Lunars can still be used, especially against Terrestrials. Well, okay, both can be terrifying combatants, thanks to their natural ability to use CMA, combined with the fact that Lunars work well combat wise. It's only when you get into non-combat stuff that Lunars start to have problems.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-07, 04:38 AM
Just to confirm: Fivefold Shadow Hand style premiered, at the latest, in November of 2006. Tome of Battle was published in August of the same year, so it's unlikely that one was an influence for the other.Thank you.

Sidereals and Lunars can still be used, especially against Terrestrials. Well, okay, both can be terrifying combatants, thanks to their natural ability to use CMA, combined with the fact that Lunars work well combat wise. It's only when you get into non-combat stuff that Lunars start to have problems. Fair enough; I may use Lunars and Sidereals in the near future, but even then, it'll likely be very sparse.

TheCountAlucard
2012-01-18, 10:40 AM
Sessions in the near future will be on hold; one of my players is pregnant, and is finally having the baby in a few days. :smalleek:

Session III: Spirits of the City

When last we left our group, Mizusou and Kothar were doing pit fights to glean information of Five Shades activity therein, Kagearashi had been making purchases in the Guild headquarters, Kegan was arranging meetings with members of the Council, and poor Sakura was trapped in a quarantined section of city, where the people were suffering a debilitating case of the plague.

Mizusou and Kothar are now up against other gladiators, battling to the knockout. Mizusou and Kothar both fight barehanded against opponents wearing armor and fighting gauntlets. Mizusou repeatedly blocks his guy's advances and then levies a series of punches and kicks at him until he is K.O.ed. Kothar, less of a martial artist, goes for a slightly more pragmatic solution: he springs past his opponent, turns, and kicks his legs out from under him, whereupon the guy hits his head and is knocked unconcious.

In the course of his bouts for the day, Mizusou catches the eye of a pretty lady, who invites him to come celebrate with her in private. He firmly turns her down, and resumes training. Kothar, on the other hand, is more than happy to accept an offer to come celebrate at Panther's place; apparently Panther is in a festive mood.

The party is exactly as ostentatious as one can expect from a famous Nexus gladiator with money to burn. Various substances are passed around, and different kinds of enjoyment are had by the numerous people there. Kothar awakens the next morning to a severe hangover, made all the worse by a blinding light coming from the balcony. He blearily observes that he is comfortably nestled between two sleeping courtesans, and is literally wearing only his gloves, and finally is able to see the source of the light. It is Panther, bathed in golden fire as a circular brand of sunlight burns on his forehead. Without saying a word, Panther leaves the apartment, leaving a confused Kothar to hastily don his clothes and go to message the others.

Earlier that night, though, halfway across the city, Kegan is atop one of the surviving buildings from the First Age. Alone, he recalls to himself how he was given a message advising his presence there that night. Kegan suddenly notices the presence of two figures at the edge of the rooftop. One is the Emissary of Nexus, easily recognizable from the statues of him that ring the city; the other is a veiled female figure that Kegan is unfamiliar with. However, he assumes that this is Ephiselle, the Midnight Queen, seeing how he asked to meet with her. His suspicions are confirmed when she introduces herself, while the Emissary silently watches on.

The fox-masked Kegan explains his presence in the city, how he is there to find out more about the Five Shades. Ephiselle is reluctant to provide him with direct aid, but assures him that her people are watching them. Kegan thanks her anyway, and departs.

The next morning, Kegan decides to try and find two specific shops: the first is that of White Mountain, and the second is the mask shop Kagearashi visited in his dreams. The first is far easier to find than the second: a low-built, crumbling building, though clearly constructed with defensability in mind, the inside of which has numerous pieces of magitech on display. The second takes much more effort and several hours to find, though eventually he finds it gently nestled between two shops that he was fairly certain were adjacent to each other a second before. He goes inside.

Much like Kagearashi before him, Kegan meets the comely maiden who runs the place, introducing herself as "Rina." Rina compliments Kegan on his fox-mask, though laments that it is not of the quality of hers. Kegan explains that he is there to inquire more about the Five Shades, and perhaps acquire a mask of his own. She tells him about the first, namely how the thief was using their cultivated martial style to disguise herself as an old man when she entered. As for the mask, Rina is more than willing to grant him one, provided he does her a favor in return: bring a present to Tien Yu, goddess of Lookshy. Said present is another mask, a painstakingly-crafted vision of moonsilver perfection. Kegan agrees, and is in turn granted an elegant cloth mask with dozens or perhaps hundreds little Old Realm glyphs decorating every inch of its surface. This mask will help veil the true face and the true intentions of the wearer, according to Rina, and so Kegan takes it gladly.

At the same time, Sakura is trapped within the district of Firewander, carefully working to treat the plague-stricken people. Sakura observes that while the inhabitants of one street are still clearly sick and dying, their faces are serene. :smallconfused: She stoops and asks a coughing beggar what's going on. "Tsamaki," he quavers, "has given us relief." She learns that a god, calling himself "Plaguefather Tsamaki," is giving deific assistance to the sick, provided they pray to him.

However, he isn't curing them, just easing their pain. Sakura decides to seek out Plaguefather Tsamaki.

She eventually finds a decrepit-looking old man, emaciated and clad in only a matted ratskin cloak. His wispy white hair appears to be falling out in patches, and what little can be seen of his flesh is covered in lesions and blackened sores. He smells of open, untreated wounds, but doesn't appear to be in any discomfort from them.

This is Plaguefather Tsamaki. As she approaches, a dying man prays to the deity, at which point Tsamaki gently anoints his brow with a conjured balm, giving him ease. Sakura confronts the spirit, asking why he is doing this. Tsamaki responds by observing that she is not stricken with the disease, but that she is still suffering. Confused, she asks what he's talking about, and he replies that she is suffering because of her heart.

He explains that while he's a plague god, and it's his responsibility to oversee the plague in Nexus, he is also a compassionate being, and while he cannot cure the disease, he will do what he can to prevent those who have it from suffering.

She actually understands his sentiment, but at the same time, she wants to actually cure the people, rather than just relieve their pain. Tsamaki points out that while it's his job to tend to the plague in Nexus, there's nothing preventing her from curing them, and that even if she knew of the more advanced healing arts developed by the Terrestrials, he could do nothing to stop her. :smallamused:

With that in mind, she stays at his side for the next four days, training herself as Tsamaki surprises her with his knowledge of the workings of Terrestrial Charms.

While that's going on, Mizusou and Kothar continue to train, practicing in the rain. Suddenly a figure emerges from a nearby rain-barrel; by now, the water elemental is familiar to Mizusou. This time, though, the elemental is here to instruct him in a Charm to help enlighten him to the level required to use the Immaculate Martial Arts, by allowing him to perceive the immaterial. Mizusou spends the next four days training with the elemental to learn "Pasiap's Humility."

Kothar, on the other hand, has been developing a Combo that will let him better function in combat. A specialized technique that combines "Falling Star Maneuver" and "Dragon-Graced Weapon," he calls it "Inferno Sword Strike." Also in the process of learning a Charm is Kagearashi, who has decided that Wind-Carried Words Technique is just too useful not to have. He spends some time with Kegan learning how to do it.

Afterward, Kagearashi decides to meet with White Mountain. He goes to the shop, observing the salvaged pieces of magitech within the shop. The two begin discussing his wares, and also importantly, payment. In this instance, White Mountain suggests that he's currently fairly well-set for money; he'd be much more interested if Kagearashi had a potent artifact of his own to barter. :smallamused:

Kagearashi is naturally reluctant to trade away his armor, but he asks if perhaps he can speak with them at another time. White Mountain agrees, and Kagearashi leaves the shop. He signals to the nearby Kegan; he feels he is being watched thanks to Observer Awareness Method. He spots a yellow-wrapped figure on a nearby rooftop, and so he and Kegan effortlessly vault onto the rooftops in a single bound, and a chase begins. The figure attempts to disappear from their sight a few times as he runs, focusing his Essence through the hand-gestures of his organization's style, but he cannot evade his pursuers. In the process, his yellow garb flickers briefly and disappears, revealing an ordinary-looking fellow.

He is not the one who Kagearashi saw in Lookshy; the man explains that he was just following orders, so they force him to take them to his leader. He takes them down to the shop, only this time he goes around to the side and touches the brick with the hand-imprint in a series of quick, precise finger-strikes, at which point the bricks draw back to reveal a secret entrance. :smalleek:

The entry hall is lined with statues of people who are presumably important members of the Five Shades; each has his hands in one of the Essence-laden hand gestures of the Fivefold Shadow Hand Style. Within is a dojo area, where a number of students practice at the behest of an attractive woman. Greenery is braided into her hair, and one of her arms is missing; at the end of the empty sleeve hangs a hand made of green jade.

Kagearashi introduces himself to her, and she asks that he tell her why they are here. He replies that he was seeking the Five Shades to help him smuggle his recent purchase into Lookshy. The woman looks down at him with interest, and that's when Kegan expresses his interest in joining them. :smalleek: Though he does not show his face, he reveals that he is a Terrestrial Exalt, a fire aspect. Surprised, she states that his abilities would harmonize with the Midnight Smoke Syndicate, based out of the South. Kagearashi asks that they meet again in the near future to arrange the transportation in question, and then leaves Kegan with her to further discuss joining...

However, once he's alone with her, Kegan turns to matters seductive... :smalleek:

Umm, this next bit gets kinda awkward; I'll explain the gist of it, though. She drinks something, and then they go to bed together... partway through the act, she suddenly aligns her fingers with those of her shadow and strikes it, and Kegan finds himself wracked with poison. She then doubles up on the poisoning by activating her anima power, turning her skin poisonous. A fight ensues, but Kegan is quickly subdued, and brought into a cell. He quickly discovers that the cell is airtight, and thus that Wind-Carried Words Technique will not work.

Things are looking bad for Karal Kegan! :eek:

Burnheart
2012-01-24, 03:29 AM
Fun stuff count :smallbiggrin: I'm looking forward to seeing how Kagen gets himself out of this one :smalltongue: