PDA

View Full Version : Tribes: Ascend.

iyaerP
2011-12-11, 07:14 AM
For discussing the (closed)beta of the best multiplayer shooter series of all time.

Forget your cover camping mechanics.

Forget your quick-scoping shenannegins.

This game is taking you back.

WAY back.

When men were manly.

When guns were projectile-only, and each shot created a massive explosion.

And a player's average velocity was comparable to a vehicle on the highway.

This is TRIBES.

I just got into the closed beta. And it is every bit as glorious as it ever was. It lacks some of the customization that tribes 2 had, and doesn't have the grappling hook from vengeance, but it is muchly awesome nonetheless.

Phhase
2011-12-11, 01:20 PM
I know right? It looks epic. Does anyone have a key I can have? I need one D:.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-11, 06:02 PM
Tried it, not sure if i like it. It's just not that fun without the ability to pick and choose all my gear form myself rather then from some premade set, worse still i can only join games that are almost over, as any time a new round starts my entire game crashes:smallannoyed:

Pie Guy
2011-12-14, 06:04 PM
I'd like a beta key for this if anyone has one.

Worira
2011-12-14, 11:35 PM
PMed one.

Anyway, the game is fun, but F2P hits it really hard. Not only does it add pointless grind to unlocking classes, it needlessly dumbs down the game by turning customizable loadouts into classes in the first place.

iyaerP
2011-12-15, 12:36 AM
PMed one.

Anyway, the game is fun, but F2P hits it really hard. Not only does it add pointless grind to unlocking classes, it needlessly dumbs down the game by turning customizable loadouts into classes in the first place.

The company needs to have an income on their investment somehow, and I think that them making it free to play is probably the best of possible solutions. While the lack of class customization is painful to us veterens(what I wouldn't give to have a spinfusor for the jumper...), it isn't a deal-breaker for me. Especially since the deal in question is FREE. I see a bigger problem stemming from the fact that once all classes are unlocked, there is no purpose to gold/tokens. Maybe adding more of the original clans as available skins or something would be something they could do to prevent this problem.

I personally have far more of an issue with the current power of the hitscan weapons ruining the "feel" of a tribes game then I do with a free to play model.

Acanous
2011-12-15, 01:48 AM
I really, REALLY loved Tribes. Tribes 2 was dissappointing. Everything since has only gotten worse.
I can deal with pre-selected "Class" loadouts, even though I much preferred individual selection.

Please tell me there: Is no "Skate" mechanic, ARE vehicles, are at least Blood Eagle and Diamond Sword to pick from for free, and that the game is moddable.

These things would make me varreh happy.

That, and the Mortar and ELF gun. But hey, they'll never take out the Mortar and ELF gun.

iyaerP
2011-12-15, 03:15 AM
Elf gun I haven't seen on any of the classes, but they have said that there are plans for far more things than are currently in game.

Fusion mortars are a staple for Juggs. Heavy-on-flag is just as good as it has always been. Actually, since one of the heavy classes can deploy a forcefield wall, it is now better than ever.

As for skiing? Of COURSE there is skiing. It wouldn't be tribes without the skiing. They made it somewhat easier so that newbies could pick it up, but that being said, you can definately tell the difference between veterens and people new to the series.

I don't know about it being moddable.

As for the vehicles, they axed the heavy transport and bomber, but the grav cycle, beowulf and shrike are all still present. Community is bugging them like mad to bring back the aforementioned two, so those will probably see a return before too long.

As for how vehicles work, over the course of a round, you build up money by shooting people, carrying/capping/retrieving flags, and by repairing base stuff. You can spend this money on orbital strikes or two flavors, droppable inventory stations, vehicles or upgrading base turrets and generator.

Pie Guy
2011-12-15, 10:03 PM
We should start exchanging usernames. I'm Qwazes.

iyaerP
2011-12-15, 10:15 PM
I am DarthLocutus.

Also, has anybody else been having really bad lag issues for the past couple of days? I haven't had the problem before, just since about tuesday.

Pie Guy
2011-12-18, 06:31 PM
Thanks to Worira, I got into the game, and I'm loving it so far. Especially when I do something like run at the enemy base full speed, fly up, and grab the flag from between two confused looking soldiers.

Penguinizer
2011-12-18, 06:47 PM
I played the beta for a bit but didn't like the loadout restrictions. If that wasn't present I'd probably have enjoyed it more. I stopped playing it since I couldn't get it to run one fateful midsummer morn and got distracted by other games. (Dota 2) :smallbiggrin:

Dragonus45
2011-12-23, 10:56 PM
So does anyone have an extra key they would be wiling to share?