PDA

View Full Version : Help with prestige

Venser
2011-12-11, 01:18 PM
Hello :)

I need help with finding a prestige for two classes.

One is my character, a 4th level dwarf fighter. Since the other two party members are useless, I have to be both a tank and a damage dealer, so I need a class that would cover both of those fields(although I am more keen on damage dealing).

The other character is a human paladin level 11 and focused on damage dealing.

The problem is that we may take feats ONLY from players handbook(which rolls out most of good prestige classes).

Please help :)

Urpriest
2011-12-11, 01:29 PM
Are you allowed to use non-DMG Prestige classes? If so, why the asymmetry? If not, then you really don't have any better options (with the possible exception of Horizon Walker: look up the Horizon Tripper for a decent Core build with that).

If these characters are fixed then you should tell us what feats they already have.

Psyren
2011-12-11, 01:34 PM
You said your feats can only come from the PHB - what sources can your PrCs come from? Are you allowed to look outside the DMG?

And yeah, if the whole thing is core-only I suggest Horizon Tripper as well

hex0
2011-12-11, 03:13 PM
Is this 'Core' Core only or 'SRD' Core only?

If it is SRD, then Dwarf Paragon is pretty good. Fighter 4/Dwarf Paragon 3 is probably better than Fighter 7.

Dwarven Defender requires lousy feats but gives you the d12 hit die and some other goodies. Although, you'd probably be better just to go into Barbarian if you are going to tank.

nyarlathotep
2011-12-11, 03:24 PM
Why are you level 4 when there is someone level 11 in the group.

Venser
2011-12-11, 06:12 PM
These are characters from 2 different campaigns.
Both campaigns are phb feats only, but we can take prestige classes from any 3,5 book.

sonofzeal
2011-12-11, 06:24 PM
Dwarven Defender requires lousy feats but gives you the d12 hit die and some other goodies. Although, you'd probably be better just to go into Barbarian if you are going to tank.
This is good advice. Barbarian if Chaotic, DDefender if Lawful.

Note that the best way to play a DDefender is to dump that iconic shield and go for a reach weapon, using armor spikes closer in. First, reach weapons will mitigate the lack of mobility from using your stance and reduce (though not eliminate) the chance you'll have to break it early. Second, reach weapons are great for Attacks of Opportunity, and AoOs are going to be your #1 method of controlling enemy movements and actually being a tank. Third, going with a twohanded weapon will boost your damage output, and that's necessary too. A DDefender, with his huge hp and bonus AC, is the character who least needs a shield. Avoid that trap and the PrC becomes much more useful.

hex0
2011-12-11, 06:42 PM
These are characters from 2 different campaigns.
Both campaigns are phb feats only, but we can take prestige classes from any 3,5 book.

But some PRCs require feats from 3.5 books? :smallconfused:

I mean you could use WOTC logic:

"Oh hey, the book deadline is coming up and we still haven't put in any requirements for the Prestige Classes. Any ideas?"

"IRON WILL!!!!!"

Psyren
2011-12-11, 11:05 PM
But some PRCs require feats from 3.5 books? :smallconfused:

The logical interpretation is that he can use any PrC that requires only PHB feats to enter. There are actually more of those than you might think, especially in the Completes.