PDA

View Full Version : Scion Fatebinding Question

Welknair
2011-12-11, 03:34 PM
Hello all, I recently got myself a copy of Scion: Hero as well as Scion: God (Yes, I realize I'm missing Demigod in there, those were the only two at the store, ordering the third). Most of it seems pretty logical, but I can't seem to figure out how Fatebinding works when you're using Legend to influence the outcome of an action.

What I get:
When you use Legend to influence an action, the ST rolls your Legend as a Dicepool against Difficulty 5 (Or lower if there has already been successful Fatebindings that scene or if its is a particularly Fateful spot). If this difficulty is not met, no fatebinding occurs. If it is met, fatebind occurs and the difficulty drops by one to a minimum of 3 for the rest of the scene.

What I don't get:
How do you determine the strength? It says "The storyteller allocates the number of successful rolls between the Fatebinding's strength and the number of people it affects".

"Number of successful rolls"? Huh? What successful rolls? Previous Legend rolls for fatebinding in this scene, like the ones that decrease the difficulty? Any roll? Fatebinding rolls made by that particular Scion in that scene? Number of dice that came up 7 or higher on that particular roll? That one doesn't jive with the example in which the scion got 3 successes (2 10's counting twice, to meet the Difficulty of 5) where the one target got a Strength 1 bind. So what? Sorry if this is an obvious oversight on my part.

Selrahc
2011-12-11, 05:53 PM
I've always just improvised Fatebinding. If someone is using their powers and baring their legend overtly, they get unwanted connections to the mortal world. If they interact with those who have become Fatebound to them. then the bond becomes stronger.

Welknair
2011-12-18, 05:50 PM
It looks like I may be starting a Scion game, and I'd like to know the rules behind Fatebinding. Even once I know, I'll likely wing-it, as Selrahc suggests. I'd still like to know though.

James the Dark
2011-12-19, 09:47 AM
Supposedly, the strength of the fatebond is determined by the threshold successes. Since the duration only goes to six (which is eternal, even surmounting death), the overflow easily pushes into strength. Thus, gods ought not go messing about in the world, because in a fight, the difficulty's going to hit three pretty quick, and with 12 dice per roll, you're looking at a permanent fatebond every time legend is spent, and once the new targets for permanent fatebonds are used up (itself a heady proposition), every single one starts getting stronger, one by one.

I suggest operating on dramatic license. Fatebonds happen where they are most appropriate, hilarious, or annoying -- to the players.