PDA

View Full Version : [pathfinder only] scout / sorcerer questions

Laniius
2011-12-11, 05:35 PM
I'm playing a scout archetype rogue soon, and I am wondering about their Skirmisher ability; specifically how it interacts with ray spells. Ray spells require an attack roll and can crit, so if I move at least 10 feet can I add my sneak attack damage to a ray? Like ray of frost or whatever. I'm building a sorcerer/arcane trickster using the sage bloodlines (though I may be going into unseen seer or spellwarp sniper if they are allowed; ATM though it's pathfinder only.)

Nvm I may have answered my own question. I found this passage under the magic rules on the SRD "Some effects are rays. You aim a ray as if using a ranged weapon, though typically you make a ranged touch attack rather than a normal ranged attack." so I'm making an attack as part of the spell, so I add the damage to it.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-12-11, 05:43 PM
Like in 3.5, you can make precision damage with a sneak attack as long as you make an attack roll to hit your target and deal damage. So scorching ray, yes, but fireball and color spray, no.

For future reference, there's a Q&A on this board for Pathfinder by RAW, for when you have only a single question.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-11, 09:56 PM
In fact, since cantrips are at will in Pathfinder, you can use a single level of sorcerer or wizard and make ray attacks 24/7 with spells such as acid splash. Quite handy.

Laniius
2011-12-11, 10:07 PM
Oh, I know that you can crit and sneak attack with spells. My issue was the skirmish ability.

"At 8th level, whenever a scout moves more than 10 feet in a round and makes an attack action, the attack deals sneak attack damage as if the target was flat-footed."

I wanted to know if I got my sneak attack on a ray spell if I moved 10 feet. But I think I've answered my own question, as casting a ray spell gives an attack action as part of the spell. Therefore sneak attack.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-12, 03:56 AM
Oh, I know that you can crit and sneak attack with spells. My issue was the skirmish ability.

"At 8th level, whenever a scout moves more than 10 feet in a round and makes an attack action, the attack deals sneak attack damage as if the target was flat-footed."

I wanted to know if I got my sneak attack on a ray spell if I moved 10 feet. But I think I've answered my own question, as casting a ray spell gives an attack action as part of the spell. Therefore sneak attack.

That was what I was referring to, the scout's skirmish ability, to be exact. there is also an interesting feat that meshes with Scout's charge: Hurling charger, or somesuch. allows you to make charge attacks with thrown weapons. had a good scout build for it rolling around, but never got around to it.