PDA

View Full Version : I'll Burn this WHOLE WORLD DOWN! (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 06:43 PM
The Pyromaniac

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll174/Pucca_051/Magic/anime_magic_fav78.jpg
"I don't care if you're a dragon, an elemental, or Asmodeus Himself! I'll burn you all up!" - A pyromaniac, consumed by her overwhelming power

A pyromaniac is an sorcerer who has gained her power from the Plane of Fire itself. Her magical flames burn hotter than any coals. She can melt volcanoes and char a red dragon to a crisp. The ultimate master of fire magic.

Prerequisites: In order to become a pyro mage, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Spellcasting: Must be able to spontaneously cast at least 3 arcane spells with the [fire] descriptor, at least one of which must be 3rd level or higher
Feats: Blistering Spell, Searing Spell, Radiant Spell (Dragon #314)
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 4 ranks
Languages: Ignan
Special: You must make peaceful contact with an elemental from the Plane of Fire, who performs a special ritual taking 24 hours that gives you the power of the pyromaniac, and in exchange, strips you of the ability to use the other elements. Spells of the [cold], [acid], [electricity], [force], and [sonic] descriptor are all removed from your spell list and you lose the ability to cast any of them. (If one or more of these spells was on your spells known, you may select a different spell of the same level after the ritual)

Hit Dice: d4
Class Skills: The class skills for a pyromaniac are Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Profession and Spellcraft
Skill Points: 4+Int per level

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Soul of Fire, The Power Within|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Advanced Learning, Bathe in the Glow 5|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

3rd|+1|+1|+3|+3|Blistering Flame|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

4th|+2|+1|+4|+4|Advanced Learning, Bathe in the Glow 10|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

5th|+2|+1|+4|+4|Searing Flame|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

6th|+3|+2|+5|+5|Advanced Learning, Bathe in the Glow 15|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

7th|+3|+2|+5|+5|Radiant Flame|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

8th|+4|+2|+6|+6|Advanced Learning, Bathe in the Glow 20|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

9th|+4|+3|+6|+6|Speak from the Heart|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting

10th|+5|+3|+7|+7|Advanced Learning, The Gift of Fire|+1 level of spontaneous arcane spellcasting
[/table]

Class Features: The following are the class features of the pyromaniac:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A pyromaniac is automatically proficient with any weapon that is made of fire or currently burning, such as a club being used as a torch or the balrog's flaming whip. If an item stops being on fire, such as by being extinguished or because the flaming ability has been suppressed or dispelled, the pyromaniac is no longer automatically proficient with it.

Spellcasting: At each level beyond, the pyromaniac gains new spells per day, spells known, access to higher level spells, and an increased caster level as if she had gained a level in a spontaneous arcane spellcasting class

Soul of Fire (Su): The pyromaniac's soul burns inside, fueling the power of her fiery spells. This completely prevents any other creature from entering her body and merging with her. Any creature that attempts to possess the pyromaniac by physically merging with her, such as a ghost, is immediately expelled and also takes 20 points of fire damage per class level, ignoring resistances and immunities. This is not an attack, so it is not subject to the miss chance of an incorporeal creature. However, this also means that the pyromaniac cannot willingly bond with any creature inside her, such as by using the binding mechanics described in Tome of Magic. Any such attempt will result in automatic failure, but will not damage the creature if the pyromaniac was willing.

The Power Within (Su): The pyromaniac's soul is made of fire, similar to an elemental. By reaching into his very core, he can draw his power out and use it to augment his spells.

As part of casting an arcane spell with the [fire] descriptor, a pyromaniac may voluntarily take 1 point of Constitution damage. If he does so, his spell is augmented with his fiery soul, and its limits are shattered, becoming only limited by the power of the caster itself. All level caps and damage caps are removed, and the pyromaniac is able to use his full caster level to determine the power of his spell. (For instance, a sorcerer 9/pyromancer 1 who cast burning hands could deal 10d4 fire damage instead of 5d4, for 1 point of Con damage)

A pyromaniac without a Constitution score, or that is immune to the first point of Constitution damage he would take (such as by being an undead or by shaping the Strongheart Vest from Magic of Incarnum) is unable to use The Power Within. A pyromaniac that is completely immune to Constitution damage may not use The Power Within.

Advanced Learning (Ex): At 2nd level, and every even level thereafter, the pyromaniac may add an additional spell with the [fire] descriptor to his spells known. He may choose any spell from any spell list, even a Domain-only spell. If he chooses a spell that is not on his spellcasting class's spell list, he adds it to that list at the level it was on the list he took it from, and it is treated as being on his spell list for scrolls and wands.

Bathe in the Glow (Ex): A pyromaniac doesn't burn. He dances in the flames, and enjoys the hot touch on his skin. Starting at 2nd level, the pyromaniac receives fire resistance 5. This resistance increases by 5 at each even level, up to fire resistance 20 at 8th level.

Blistering Flame (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, the pyromaniac's power begins to spill forth and affect his spells, even without him reaching into his core. The pyromaniac may apply the effects of the Blistering Spell feat to any spell he casts with the [fire] descriptor without an increase in casting time or spell level.

Searing Flame (Ex): Starting at 5th level, the pyromaniac may apply the effects of the Searing Spell feat to any spell he casts with the [fire] descriptor without an increase in casting time or spell level.

Radiant Flame (Ex): Starting at 7th level, the pyrormaniac may apply the effects of the Radiant Spell feat to any spell he casts with the [fire] descriptor without an increase in casting time or spell level.

Speak from the Heart (Su): At 9th level, the pyromaniac's maturation has almost completed. He is now able to reach down to the very depths of his core and speak the truth about fire to his enemies. However, since the very depths of his core is nothing but molten fire, instead of speaking, he usually ends up "accidentally" torching people.

Starting at 9th level, a pyromaniac is able to breathe fire, as a powerful red dragon. He must have a Constitution score in order to breathe fire. His breath of fire deals 1d10 points of fire damage per class level, with a Reflex save (DC 10+class level+Constitution modifier) for half damage. After breathing fire, the pyromaniac must wait 1d4 rounds before breathing again.

Breathing fire is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. The pyromaniac's fire breath is a 30' cone.

The Gift of Fire (Su): At the end of the class, the pyromaniac has finally achieved his true potential. He becomes a being of pure flame. Starting at 10th level, a pyromaniac's spells with the [fire] descriptor ignore all spell resistance, and the pyromaniac himself gains the Fire subtype. He gains some qualities of the elementals who gave him power.

The pyromaniac gains immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning. He is not subject to the extra damage from critical hits or from precision damage (like Sneak Attack). His attackers receive no benefits for flanking him.

The pyromaniac retains his original type (a human pyromaniac is a Humanoid (Human, Fire)).

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-11, 09:25 PM
Searing Flame should come significantly earlier in the class. You've given up all other elemental forms of spells, meaning that you have next to no versatility in damage-dealing. Searing Spell is the only thing that really allows this class to function, given how widespread fire resistance and immunity are.

An upgraded version later, allowing you to deal full damage to creatures that are immune to fire, might not go amiss. Again, you're playing a blaster with very little versatility. It's probably a bad idea to ever make your schtick useless.

The feat requirement is enormous. Like, silly huge. Five feats for a class that could otherwise be entered at level 7? If you play a human, and spend every feat working towards this class, you can take your first level at 10th. Nonhumans won't be able to complete it until epic levels.

The feats also come from some fairly obscure places-- two from Dragon Magazines and one from god knows where. That strikes me as-- no offense-- slightly obnoxious homebrew. The class is good, but requiring people to have access to so many sources to enter it is not. Also: two bloodline feats? How does that even work?

Some form of scaling fire resistance might be cool, working up to the complete immunity at 10th.

The Underlord
2011-12-11, 09:31 PM
Searing Flame should come significantly earlier in the class. You've given up all other elemental forms of spells, meaning that you have next to no versatility in damage-dealing. Searing Spell is the only thing that really allows this class to function, given how widespread fire resistance and immunity are.

An upgraded version later, allowing you to deal full damage to creatures that are immune to fire, might not go amiss. Again, you're playing a blaster with very little versatility. It's probably a bad idea to ever make your schtick useless.

The feat requirement is enormous. Like, silly huge. Five feats for a class that could otherwise be entered at level 7? If you play a human, and spend every feat working towards this class, you can take your first level at 10th. Nonhumans won't be able to complete it until epic levels.

The feats also come from some fairly obscure places-- two from Dragon Magazines and one from god knows where. That strikes me as-- no offense-- slightly obnoxious homebrew. The class is good, but requiring people to have access to so many sources to enter it is not. Also: two bloodline feats? How does that even work?

Some form of scaling fire resistance might be cool, working up to the complete immunity at 10th.

Basically, what he said. Also the GLaDOS quote/cave johnson quote is the tradtional pyromaniac quote.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 09:57 PM
[LIST]

So you can use the normal Searing Spell metamagic feat. It only has a +1 LA.

Very little versatility? You have nine free spells known from the Fire Bloodline feat (including tongues, cloudkill, and delayed blast fireball), as well as five free fire spells gained over the course of the class. You can easily spend most of your other spells known on utility, crowd control, and SoDs for dealing with normally immune creatures.

It can't be entered at level 7. Knowledge (The Planes) isn't a class skill for sorcerers. You have to be level 9 to have 6 cross-class ranks. And no, everyone gets to enter at 10th level. Bloodline of Fire is a regional feat. In the Forgotten Realms setting, every character gets a regional feat for free at 1st level, in addition to their first level feat. I wanted to make sure that if someone wanted to get into the class, they devoted every single feat they had to the power of fire, to really represent the class's average player.

Bloodline of Fire gives you a +2 bonus to the DC. It's a regional feat from Forgotten Realms. Regional feats are bonus feats given at 1st level.

Sure, I can do that with the even levels.

Lateral
2011-12-11, 10:11 PM
That doesn't mean it shouldn't come earlier. It also requires you to take a full-round action to cast.

Very little versatility? You have nine free spells known from the Fire Bloodline feat (including tongues, cloudkill, and delayed blast fireball), as well as five free fire spells gained over the course of the class. You can easily spend most of your other spells known on utility, crowd control, and SoDs for dealing with normally immune creatures.
The Fire Bloodline sucks, and there are only so many [Fire] spells you're going to use.

It can't be entered at level 7. Knowledge (The Planes) isn't a class skill for sorcerers. You have to be level 9 to have 6 cross-class ranks.
...And there's another problem. Why? Why are you forcing people to wait until 9th level to enter the class? There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to enter this at 7th. Hell, I could enter at 7th as a Human with two flaws, but this just isn't good design. This class isn't so powerful that it's worth focusing your entire damn build on, sacrificing [force] spells (more of a big deal than the others, and doesn't really make sense seeing as [force] isn't an energy type and most [force] spells aren't even damage spells), and not even reaping any benefits until 9th.

And no, everyone gets to enter at 9th level. Bloodline of Fire is a regional feat. In the Forgotten Realms setting, every character gets a regional feat for free at 1st level, in addition to their first level feat.
Not everyone plays in the Realms. Hell, I never play in the Realms.

Bloodline of Fire gives you a +2 bonus to the DC. It's a regional feat from Forgotten Realms. Regional feats are bonus feats given at 1st level.
Again, not everyone plays in the Realms. This isn't a Realms-specific class.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-11, 10:17 PM
True, but I'd rather get it for free than Blistering Spell.

Fair enough-- I don't know the feat-- but this is a class for pyromaniacs. You've dedicated your whole career to fire. You don't want to mess around with this whole 'battlefield control' thing, you want fire!

It can't be entered at level 7. Knowledge (The Planes) isn't a class skill for sorcerers. You have to be level 9 to have 6 cross-class ranks. And no, everyone gets to enter at 10th level. Bloodline of Fire is a regional feat. In the Forgotten Realms setting, every character gets a regional feat for free at 1st level, in addition to their first level feat. I wanted to make sure that if someone wanted to get into the class, they devoted every single feat they had to the power of fire, to really represent the class's average player.
Whoops, thought that was Knowledge (Arcana). I understand wanting to make sure that the player is dedicated to fire, but I think that the Special requirement does that in a more interesting way. The feat tax just shoehorns players into a specific build.

[QUOTE]Bloodline of Fire gives you a +2 bonus to the DC. It's a regional feat from Forgotten Realms. Regional feats are bonus feats given at 1st level./QUOTE]
But... is this supposed to be a FR-only class? Because if not, it seems to me to be a bad idea to use setting-specific rules. I can see a case for taking the feat as a normal feat, since the benefits are theoretically balanced, but I doubt many DMs will let their player take it for free because "it's in the Forgotten Realms setting rules."

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 10:21 PM
That doesn't mean it shouldn't come earlier. It also requires you to take a full-round action to cast.

Alright. I guess I'll swap it with Radiant then.

...And there's another problem. Why? Why are you forcing people to wait until 9th level to enter the class? There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to enter this at 7th. Hell, I could enter at 7th as a Human with two flaws, but this just isn't good design. This class isn't so powerful that it's worth focusing your entire damn build on, sacrificing [force] spells (more of a big deal than the others, and doesn't really make sense seeing as [force] isn't an energy type and most [force] spells aren't even damage spells), and not even reaping any benefits until 9th.

The lax spell casting requirement was in case you were playing with a limited spell selection, but now that I think about it, you do get fire shield for free, so I can bump it up to 4th level spells to prevent early flaw entry cheese.

And the ability to ignore level caps isn't good? The ability to take all your low-level fire spells and use them at full effectiveness, freeing up your higher level spells for SoDs and blasting, that isn't good for a blaster? That's perfect. You take fireball and orb of fire and those are the only two spells you need. One AOE, and one single target, no save, no SR. You never have to take another damage spell again.

Yes, but Bloodlines of Fire is an amazingly good Fire feat, and since there's no Fire Focus feat (even though there's a Water and Earth focus feat) I figured I'd require that instead.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 10:25 PM
There we go. Swapped Radiant and Searing, upped the casting requirement to 4th level and dropped Bloodlines from the prerequisites. Now everyone can get in at 10th, humans with Educated can get in at 9th.

Lateral
2011-12-11, 10:25 PM
And the ability to ignore level caps isn't good? The ability to take all your low-level fire spells and use them at full effectiveness, freeing up your higher level spells for SoDs and blasting, that isn't good for a blaster? That's perfect. You take fireball and orb of fire and those are the only two spells you need. One AOE, and one single target, no save, no SR. You never have to take another damage spell again.
Yes, which makes the Advanced Learning class feature nearly redundant- there are very few decent non-blast [Fire] spells, and the ones you do want you're using to qualify for the class. Power Within is nice, but it just doesn't justify sinking all your resources in a class that you don't finish until 19th level.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 10:36 PM
Yes, which makes the Advanced Learning class feature nearly redundant- there are very few decent non-blast [Fire] spells, and the ones you do want you're using to qualify for the class. Power Within is nice, but it just doesn't justify sinking all your resources in a class that you don't finish until 19th level.

animate fire (SC), backblast (LEoF), body blaze (Sandstorm), control temperature (Frostburn), darkfire (SC), dispel cold (Frostburn), evergreen (Frostburn), fatal flame (Complete Scoundrel), fiery eyes (Complete Arcane), fire dance (WotC site), mass fire shield, fire wings (Spell Compendium), fires of purity (SC), heat metal, scalding mud (Sandstorm)

And that's just a few of them. There's plenty of awesome fire spells out there, with lots of utility.

Edit: As for whether the rest of the class justifies it, well, you get +38 damage with all fire spells at 19th level (+2 damage per dice, unlimited dice), you get a sackful of awesome immunities, you ignore immunity to fire with all spells, all your [fire] spells have a nice rider effect tacked on, and you have 5 additional spells known, which is quite high for a sorcerer.

No, no, you're missing the problem. The rule that says you get a free Regional feat at 1st? That's FR-specific, even if the feat isn't.

Yes, but I already removed that feat from the prereqs, bringing it down to 4th.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-11, 10:40 PM

Oh, it's quite good. The rest of the class doesn't reach nearly that level of power, though. Perhaps lower the level requirements again, and switch The Power Within and Speak From the Heart?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 10:46 PM
Oh, it's quite good. The rest of the class doesn't reach nearly that level of power, though. Perhaps lower the level requirements again, and switch The Power Within and Speak From the Heart?

If I do that then The Power Within doesn't come online til level 14, instead of level 10. That's quite a long time for you to suffer being a subpar blaster. (In fact, you trade all of your versatile blasting for absolutely nothing but being screwed until 5th level when you get the ability to bypass immunities)

Lateral
2011-12-11, 10:57 PM
Hell, just lower the level requirements and leave it where it is. 7th level is a perfectly reasonable place to get that ability.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 10:59 PM
Okay. Tanked it to 7th level entry.

Rapidghoul
2011-12-11, 11:26 PM
I like the idea a lot. I like anything that gives blasters some love. I also like it a lot more with only three feats for entry (even if I only know what two of them are).

If you want to remove non-fire spells, which fits the theme a lot, maybe do what elemental savant (complete arcane) does instead by merely changing all the energy descriptor to the appropriate type ala Energy Substitution? That way you don't remove even more versatility from spontaneous casters' spell selection. If a potential pyro really likes Manyjaws, why make him lose his favorite spell rather than combine his passion for fire with his passion for the spell?

That brings up another point; why spontaneous only? If that's intentional, the chart should say so to reflect this, not just in the prereqs.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-11, 11:36 PM
I like the idea a lot. I like anything that gives blasters some love. I also like it a lot more with only three feats for entry (even if I only know what two of them are).

If you want to remove non-fire spells, which fits the theme a lot, maybe do what elemental savant (complete arcane) does instead by merely changing all the energy descriptor to the appropriate type ala Energy Substitution? That way you don't remove even more versatility from spontaneous casters' spell selection. If a potential pyro really likes Manyjaws, why make him lose his favorite spell rather than combine his passion for fire with his passion for the spell?

I considered that, but I decided that that opened the door to too many things I didn't know about (like uncapping levels on the other descriptors, which might result in some broken combination)

It was pretty easy for me to find all the [fire] spells and make sure it wouldn't be too unfair to uncap them all, but what if there's a [cold] petrification spell with a duration, or something?

Plus, a lot of the free Energy Substitution makes no sense to me. What happens if you cast a fiery call lightning? Then all of the sudden, you drop fire down from the sky? How? Yes, I know that lightning is actually superheated air, but in D&D, superheated air deals electricity damage, so...yeah.

Also, I don't like the idea of a [fire] spell that causes permanent winter. So no, I won't be using the elemental savant's ability.

That brings up another point; why spontaneous only? If that's intentional, the chart should say so to reflect this, not just in the prereqs.

Sure, I'll change the chart. The reason was because of the original prerequisite feat, Fire Bloodline, which requires spontaneous casting. It's also part of the fluff (you draw your casting power from the elemental Plane of Fire, not from studying a book)

Shadow Lord
2011-12-12, 07:10 AM
Y'know, I'd honestly never play this class. It just doesn't have enough benefits for it to be worth my time in a build, and it really forces me to pick certain feats instead of other feats. It just seems like it's a boring prestige class to me.

Cieyrin
2011-12-12, 12:20 PM
I considered that, but I decided that that opened the door to too many things I didn't know about (like uncapping levels on the other descriptors, which might result in some broken combination)

It was pretty easy for me to find all the [fire] spells and make sure it wouldn't be too unfair to uncap them all, but what if there's a [cold] petrification spell with a duration, or something?

Plus, a lot of the free Energy Substitution makes no sense to me. What happens if you cast a fiery call lightning? Then all of the sudden, you drop fire down from the sky? How? Yes, I know that lightning is actually superheated air, but in D&D, superheated air deals electricity damage, so...yeah.

Also, I don't like the idea of a [fire] spell that causes permanent winter. So no, I won't be using the elemental savant's ability.

Seems like a lot of effort to limit Pyros from known cheese to me. If a Pyro/Sorcerer (or Spirit Shaman, Favored Soul, Divine Crusader of Fire, etc.) tries to get these spells, they can, whether that be Extra Spell, Mage of Arcane Order, Dragon's Blood Pool, Drake Helms, Knowstones, Rune Staffs, Domain Staffs, etc. Banning particular spells from play seems more the responsibility for individual game group than for the homebrewer. The locking off of vestiges (Naberius, specifically) and Strongheart Vests kinda seem to fall under the same umbrella of attempting to fix play balance as opposed to making flavorful options. If its such an issue, why not set a use limit based off of the caster's casting stat, like 3+Cha/day, as they can just mend the damage via a Wand of Lesser Resto currently and keep doing it throughout the day or any of the other Hellfire Warlock tricks. Or, hell, make it ability burn and really lock it down.

The first 2 casting advances are general and the rest are spontaneous only, fyi. I also agree that its strange that Force spells get the axe when they aren't even elemental in nature. Otherwise, I suppose it looks like it would support burninating the countryside, peasants and their thatchwood cottages.

userpay
2011-12-12, 02:01 PM

*looks at thread title, looks back at this statement, looks back at thread title*

I would think the entire point of this class would be to do that...

Anyway I support doing what Element Savant does with element types as well. I'd love to beable to fire off flaming magic missiles, sending flaming jaws to bite my foes, ect.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-12, 02:14 PM
Seems like a lot of effort to limit Pyros from known cheese to me. If a Pyro/Sorcerer (or Spirit Shaman, Favored Soul, Divine Crusader of Fire, etc.) tries to get these spells, they can, whether that be Extra Spell, Mage of Arcane Order, Dragon's Blood Pool, Drake Helms, Knowstones, Rune Staffs, Domain Staffs, etc. Banning particular spells from play seems more the responsibility for individual game group than for the homebrewer. The locking off of vestiges (Naberius, specifically) and Strongheart Vests kinda seem to fall under the same umbrella of attempting to fix play balance as opposed to making flavorful options. If its such an issue, why not set a use limit based off of the caster's casting stat, like 3+Cha/day, as they can just mend the damage via a Wand of Lesser Resto currently and keep doing it throughout the day or any of the other Hellfire Warlock tricks. Or, hell, make it ability burn and really lock it down.

Mending it via a wand of lesser restoration either requires them to have levels in a divine class (which isn't advanced by this arcane-only class) or to rely on UMD (which is a cross class skill) or another party member. All of these, I find acceptable, moreso than Strongheart Vest or Naberius because those do not consume party resources, or actions on the part of the player. And eliminating Strongheart Vest wasn't really necessary, as being immune to any Con damage means you can't make the sacrifice, I just thought I'd point it out so that people wouldn't say they could do it.

Anyway I support doing what Element Savant does with element types as well. I'd love to beable to fire off flaming magic missiles, sending flaming jaws to bite my foes, ect.

I can't do that without requiring Elemental Substitution (Fire) as a prerequisite feat, and that would push the class back to 12th level entry (again).

flabort
2011-12-12, 02:18 PM
Wow, another fire based caster PrC. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Actually, fairly well done. I'd ask if I could add this to my list (for dessert iron chef), but I've already got quite a few fiery themed PrCs. :smallfrown:

Obvious that the playground likes them. And judging by the comments, they think you did fairly well, too.

RollynT.Glal
2011-12-12, 03:05 PM
I'm loving this class for a dramatic twist on a Vermin summoner sorceress, but I can't manage to find these feats anywhere. Could you please give a description of the one from Dragon Mag, and tell which books the others are in?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-12, 03:31 PM
I'm loving this class for a dramatic twist on a Vermin summoner sorceress, but I can't manage to find these feats anywhere. Could you please give a description of the one from Dragon Mag, and tell which books the others are in?

I can't, because of copyright restrictions.

Radiant Spell is in DR 314, Searing Spell is in Sandstorm, Blistering Spell is in the PHB II

Lateral
2011-12-12, 04:14 PM
I can't, because of copyright restrictions.

-snip-
Uh, Seraphi? The copyright restrictions extend to linking to sites with that content openly on the board. Might want to get rid of those.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-12, 04:16 PM
Uh, Seraphi? The copyright restrictions extend to linking to sites with that content openly on the board. Might want to get rid of those.

Yikes! Okay then, removed.

gooddragon1
2011-12-12, 04:34 PM
Clerics can enter this PRC as well if they have the fire domain and the spontaneous domain ability selected for the fire domain (PHB and PHBII). Could the spell progression please be more accommodating?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-12, 04:38 PM
Clerics can enter this PRC as well if they have the fire domain and the spontaneous domain ability selected for the fire domain (PHB and PHBII). Could the spell progression please be more accommodating?

Whoops! You're right. I updated the prerequisites to only allow arcane casting to apply. (I was wondering why Cieryn said Favored Souls and such could get in)

No, the class is arcane-only. You draw power from the Elemental Plane of Fire, not from a god or nature.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-12, 09:19 PM
Explain to me, if you please, why you chose a feat so obscure even I and my rather impressive collection of resources have never heard of (Radiant Spell)? I can honestly say it took me some digging to uncover that feat, and I can honestly say I would never take it unless I was qualifying for something like this.

Also, unless I had a Cleric on standby or gestalt levels into a class that gave me Restoration spells, I would never use The Power Within. I mean, seriously? Con damage on a caster? Just make it X times per day +3 or something. It might be worth the Con damage if I had Fiery Spell, Blistering Spell, Searing Spell, Radiant Spell and Maximize Spell all tacked on, but I would most likely just avoid it.

So he gains the [fire] subtype? That makes him immune to fire, and takes 50% more damage from cold. You should outright state as much in the class capstone. Oh, it also makes him turnable by Clerics with the right domain.

And no Diplomacy? He has to successfully talk a fire elemental into doing him a favor just to get into the class, why doesn't he have Diplomacy? Which reminds me: while it is sort of implied by making contact with a fire elemental, you should make speaking Ignan a prerequisite for this guy. It's not too far fetched, and it fits the theme.

Finally, I would give them Fiery Spell for free as well. Heck, you could tack it into Soul of Fire at level one; it doesn't do much, but it stacks nicely with the other feats you get added on for free, and adds a little more (the pun is unavoidable here) firepower to your now quite limited blasting.

Lateral
2011-12-12, 09:28 PM
Actually, what would make this class more versatile would be to change the Special requirement to take out Force (since that isn't really an energy type anyway) and make it so that you just can't cast spells of that subtype, and then give Energy Substitution (Fire) at first level. That gives you more versatility in the types of spells you can have, but it's all fire damage instead. Really, it makes thematic sense.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-12, 09:28 PM
Explain to me, if you please, why you chose a feat so obscure even I and my rather impressive collection of resources have never heard of (Radiant Spell)? I can honestly say it took me some digging to uncover that feat, and I can honestly say I would never take it unless I was qualifying for something like this.

It's quite effective for a blaster, when given for free. Add a Will save or be blinded for 1 round per spell level, save dazzles you for 1 round to all your spells? Yes please.

Also, unless I had a Cleric on standby or gestalt levels into a class that gave me Restoration spells, I would never use The Power Within. I mean, seriously? Con damage on a caster? Just make it X times per day +3 or something. It might be worth the Con damage if I had Fiery Spell, Blistering Spell, Searing Spell, Radiant Spell and Maximize Spell all tacked on, but I would most likely just avoid it.

It's similar to the hellfire warlock prestige class, only instead of giving you +6d6 extra damage, it gives you CL-level cap d6 damage. It's very useful for certain spells, and it helps keep the damage dice scaling properly. (It also greatly increases the power of Blistering Spell)

So he gains the [fire] subtype? That makes him immune to fire, and takes 50% more damage from cold. You should outright state as much in the class capstone. Oh, it also makes him turnable by Clerics with the right domain.

...Why? He gains the fire subtype. That's pretty clear. Why should I explain what the fire subtype does? That's just redundant.

And no Diplomacy? He has to successfully talk a fire elemental into doing him a favor just to get into the class, why doesn't he have Diplomacy? Which reminds me: while it is sort of implied by making contact with a fire elemental, you should make speaking Ignan a prerequisite for this guy. It's not too far fetched, and it fits the theme.

I'll add Ignan, sure. And I'm pretty sure the standard sorcerer entry will either roleplay it straight out or use the Bluff skill, not Diplomacy.

Finally, I would give them Fiery Spell for free as well. Heck, you could tack it into Soul of Fire at level one; it doesn't do much, but it stacks nicely with the other feats you get added on for free, and adds a little more (the pun is unavoidable here) firepower to your now quite limited blasting.

I give them Blistering Spell for free. It's like Fiery Spell, but twice as good. Giving them both is just, again, redundant.

Lateral
2011-12-12, 09:33 PM
It's similar to the hellfire warlock prestige class, only instead of giving you +6d6 extra damage, it gives you CL-level cap d6 damage. It's very useful for certain spells, and it helps keep the damage dice scaling properly. (It also greatly increases the power of Blistering Spell)

See, that's the thing, though. Hellfire Warlock isn't nearly as attractive without a reliable means of healing the ability damage, which is something you don't really have with this class. Sure, you can get yourself a couple wands of Lesser Restoration and heal up after every battle, but that means that in battle you're burning up to 20 hp every two spells, as well as punishing your FORT saves. I'm not saying it isn't good, 'cause it totally is, but the stealth ban on Naberius makes little sense.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-12, 10:15 PM
See, that's the thing, though. Hellfire Warlock isn't nearly as attractive without a reliable means of healing the ability damage, which is something you don't really have with this class. Sure, you can get yourself a couple wands of Lesser Restoration and heal up after every battle, but that means that in battle you're burning up to 20 hp every two spells, as well as punishing your FORT saves. I'm not saying it isn't good, 'cause it totally is, but the stealth ban on Naberius makes little sense.

There is a difference between powerful and cheap. I really like the balance and flavor of a spell powered by your vitality, but if you invalidate that by instantly healing or preventing the damage, you're not really sacrificing for the spell.

Cieyrin
2011-12-12, 10:53 PM

After battle? That's what an Improved Familiar for an Imp, Quasit, Ice Mephit, Psuedodragon or other thing that can UMD the wand and just hit you with it every round, duh. They still have Share Spells, Improved Evasion, your saves (if better) and half your HP, so its not like they're terribly squishy. Especially given that ability, Pyros will be rocking a higher Con in general.

vasharanpaladin
2011-12-15, 01:26 AM
There's a feat in Races of the Dragon that lets spontaneous casters metamagic with no increase in casting time. This class NEEDS this feat for each fire-related metamagic feat it gets as a bonus feat. :smallfrown:

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you've already written it in, plus some. :smallredface:

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 02:27 AM
I like fire, so I really like this class. Really like. Like, really like it.

My only gripe is that it doesn't do anything for penetrating energy resistance or immunity to fire...*sad face*

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-15, 02:44 AM

My only gripe is that it doesn't do anything for penetrating energy resistance or immunity to fire...*sad face*

That's what Searing Spell (the metamagic feat, one of the class requirements) does. You apply it for free at 5th level to all your fire spells.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 02:47 AM

Come now, BelGareth, do you really think that I would overlook something so obvious?

The Searing Spell feat is in Sandstorm. Check it out, since you like fire. :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 11:42 AM
Come now, BelGareth, do you really think that I would overlook something so obvious?

The Searing Spell feat is in Sandstorm. Check it out, since you like fire. :smallbiggrin:

*facedesk* :smallbiggrin:

Goes to corner in shame.....

Well then, I officially stamp this class as Awesome, And I will play it as soon as possible.

hmmmm there IS a Epic 30th Tristalt game I could throw it in with....lets see.

Lyndworm
2011-12-16, 10:11 PM
I love the idea of this class, and most of the execution. I think it's really, really good. Once again, you've done a great job, NeoSeraphi.

My only issues with the class are personal, and (probably) not really all that important mechanically. Since you marked the title with a bright, shiny PEACH, however, I'll go ahead and throw out my opinions.

I think it's odd that this class offers 4 skill points/level instead of two like Sorcerers and Wizards, despite narrowing the focus of those classes and offering only two skills over Sorcerer (Intimidate and Knowledge: The Planes).
I'm not not a huge fan of the (ever-so slightly) late entry level. I like to minimize levels in the base class as much as possible (especially for casters) since they were so poorly designed by WotC. It's not a big deal, but my personal preference is to enter PrCs at 6th level (which Wizards with flaws or who are humans can do), not 7th (as Sorcerers, the intended base class, have to do). This one is extremely nit-picky, though, and doesn't really affect anything.
I have to side with RapidGhoul, Userpay, and (to a lesser extent) Lateral and say that the lack of ability to learn or cast spells with non-[Fire] energy descriptors (especially [Force] as it isn't an element and is completely unaffected by most, if not all, element-related abilities) is kind of baffling to me. I get that the Pyromaniac's supposed to be focusing on [Fire] and [Fire] alone, but I don't see why that should make him physically incapable of casting a fire substituted acid arrow or a fire substituted lightning leap. Both of those seem quite thematic to me, and certainly not overpowering. I'd really rather see a free (and forced) Energy Substitution effect a la Energy Savant, as has been mentioned.
I also agree with Noctis Vigil in that it seems odd that this class doesn't receive Diplomacy, despite the (mostly fluff) requirement of being a talented negotiator. Similarly, I agree that Radiant Spell is kind of an odd feat choice (though I was actually familiar with it previously), given its obscurity and (without Pyromaniac involved) near worthlessness.

Would you be incredibly offended if I wrote up some alterations to use for my own games (probably on these forums, though definitely with credit and a link here)? It would be something like slightly reduced prerequisites and somewhat reordered abilities to compensate for the loss of Radiant Spell, plus an Energy Savant-like ability, as discussed. Obviously, your class would still be the inspiration and still make up the majority of the meat.

I truly mean you no offense, and I sincerely apologize if I've come off as harsh or judgmental at all. This goes doubly for that last question, as I'm not sure how attached you are to your homebrew or how you view its integrity. I know that I wouldn't mind, was such a question directed at me (and similar has been), but I respect you and all homebrewers, and your right to control your intellectual property.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the PEACH. I wouldn't mind it at all if you did what you did, though I personally think the fact that I made Radiant Spell not useless is a selling point of the class.

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-21, 09:14 PM

Yes, nut you can use the mechanics without the setting, and who doesn't want a free feat for being born somewhere.

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-21, 09:17 PM
Is there an Aquamaniac?

Deepbluediver
2012-01-21, 09:41 PM
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A pyromaniac is automatically proficient with any weapon that is made of fire or currently burning, such as a club being used as a torch or the balrog's flaming whip. If an item stops being on fire, such as by being extinguished or because the flaming ability has been suppressed or dispelled, the pyromaniac is no longer automatically proficient with it.

I think this is hilarious; here's how I picture this playing out:

Pyromancer spots an orcish double-axe lying on the ground. He dumps one latterns worth of oil on it, then lights a match.
*proceeds to wield expertly*

http://i43.tinypic.com/rm5m2t.jpg