PDA

View Full Version : thoughts and help on a final boss speech?

slaydemons
2011-12-11, 07:32 PM
right so I typed down my BBEG final speech I will put it in spoilers

"Why do you let the gods control our fate? All I desire is freedom, The freedom to choose whether or not I can become strong or whether or not to be weak I do not want a world were those favored by beings more 'powerful' then us to be better for simply being favored."

"This world will never be free without change, why do you impede my change to the world that will let it stand by itself, you only wish to remain lording and mighty over everyone because you were favored by the gods and were lucky unlike I who got by with hard work and struggling.

"but even then I was part of the gods plan, but no longer I shall free this world from the grip of the gods now are you with me or against me?"

I would like thoughts on this, and probably some help on how to improve it besides grammar. I am not trying to make him sound like the emperor or darth vader. he is more like in personality... I don't know of anyone like him so he is a ends justify the means guy, and he thinks the little should sacrifice themselves for the greater. I hope this plus what is given above helps out if you need or want more info on the BBEG I can provide it

RandomNPC
2011-12-11, 09:56 PM
If you can shorten it without cutting any dramatic flair or intimidating bits, do it. Myself included, most of me group would let him get to the third sentence and open fire.

That being said, trapping them first is all kinds of fun. My BBEG opened with "You destroyed all my solders on your way here, I'll need more to continue, want a job?"

Madara
2011-12-11, 10:16 PM
Throw in some cool actions, like using called armor. Make sure to describe the visuals as well as the audio. Other than that, seems like a good concept, and a reliable speech.

slaydemons
2011-12-11, 10:24 PM
If you can shorten it without cutting any dramatic flair or intimidating bits, do it. Myself included, most of me group would let him get to the third sentence and open fire.

ahh yes there are parts where they are supposed to speak, as for the intimidating bits what parts are those, the last part?

Bastian Weaver
2011-12-12, 05:03 AM
You might check out Ozymandias in Watchmen (both the graphic novel and the movie) for an example of a "ends justify the odds" guy giving a final speech. Like RandomNPC said, the protagonists would probably attack before this guy ends his speech, so you might think of some way for him to effectively protect himself while talking, again, not unlike old Ozzy. Things like that look classy when they are done right.

Loren
2011-12-12, 07:24 AM
some thoughts,
as has been pointed out many players/characters will use speeches as an excuse to sneak attack a villian (unless he has them trapped, in which case why does he sound so beaten in the speech).

If the party is noble and honourable and willing to allow some one to talk until they actually draw a sword the cleverest thing he could do is to not draw a sword, forcing them to act dishonourably by attacking an unarmed man ("aww what's that? Did mister paladin just fall? shucks"). Better yet, if he surrenders they are obliged to put him into custody, which entails protecting him from anything that would prevent him form going on trial. Insert plot hook here.

edit- add to first thought,
If you want to give a character some scripted words, particularly several sentences worth it may be an idea to put them in the form of a journal entry or a letter. This way the players can't interupt (or won't feel misused if you force them to wait to the appropriate spots). Alos you can print the text out and use it as a prop, litetally handing it to the player who seems the most interested.

MurphysLaw159
2011-12-12, 08:31 AM
As for the problem of actually getting the speach off, never over look simple low level spells. low grade illusion to deliver the speach as they are going through the dungeon (or whatever) or a Hightened Sanctuary (they cant attack until he does, or at the least, it's very hard for them to).

As for spicing it up, how much does he know about them and their backgrounds? if he knows a good bit, make it personal. one or more of them lost a family member/ friend? twist it to his world view, showing them that if he does what he is trying to do, something like that wont happen again. they ever have to deal with political bull? they are strong and the politicians are weak, and yet they had to jump through THIER hoops to get what needed to be done, well, done. That just doesn't make sense. does one of them value freedom above all/most else (*cough* CG or CN alignment), then how do they feel that all they have done was for someone else's gain (the god's) and they didnt even get a choice in the matter when it came to doing it.

also, a lot of BBEGs will temp the party with power (which sounds like what your's might do, to get them to join him) but forget to remind the party that it's not just power for power's sake (a quick way to lose them). Instead it's power for the sake of accomplishing their own goals (justice, peace, resurection of a loved one, etc.). Basicaly, remember, your guy doesn't jsut think he is in the right, he KNOWS he is and this party is the misguided evil doers that he is trying to help.

Hope some of that helped. :D

PersonMan
2011-12-12, 09:58 AM
some thoughts,
as has been pointed out many players/characters will use speeches as an excuse to sneak attack a villian (unless he has them trapped, in which case why does he sound so beaten in the speech).

I never understood why people didn't just take the simple way out with this. Assuming the PCs enter the room and BBEG has been waiting for them:

DM: He says "blah blah blah blah blah-
Player: I attack him!
DM: You can't.
Player: Why not?
DM: It's his turn. He saw you through a [viewing device] and now he has a surprise round. Talking is a free action.
Player: Oh.

Bearpunch
2011-12-12, 11:14 AM
"Why do you let the gods control our fate? All I desire is freedom, The freedom to choose whether or not I can become strong or whether or not to be weak I do not want a world were those favored by beings more 'powerful' then us to be better for simply being favored."

"This world will never be free without change, why do you impede my change to the world that will let it stand by itself, you only wish to remain lording and mighty over everyone because you were favored by the gods and were lucky unlike I who got by with hard work and struggling.

"but even then I was part of the gods plan, but no longer I shall free this world from the grip of the gods now are you with me or against me?"
[/SPOILER]

I would like thoughts on this, and probably some help on how to improve it besides grammar. I am not trying to make him sound like the emperor or darth vader. he is more like in personality... I don't know of anyone like him so he is a ends justify the means guy, and he thinks the little should sacrifice themselves for the greater. I hope this plus what is given above helps out if you need or want more info on the BBEG I can provide it

I like it. Would you mind if I rewrite it with a bit more flair? Because it's difficult for me to just explain what I would do with it.

"Tell me, [adventuring party], why must the gods control your fate? Why do they decide who is strong and who is weak? Why do we cater to what can crush us at any moment? All I want is freedom; the freedom to choose whether to be strong or weak. I want no part in a world where one can be impossibly powerful not through training or determination, but simply being 'favored.'

"We can never be free without change, you see? Why impede my ability to let the world stand as it should; by itself. You only wish to remain mighty, lording over everyone because you were favored by the gods, because you were one of the lucky ones."

"But even now am I part of gods plans? No matter, I must free this world from the gods. Are you with me or against me?"

Mostly cleaned up grammar and added come literary flair. It will paint your character as well-intentionedly pompous and self-righteous, I think. If that is what you are going for.

It's kinda long too, sorry...

slaydemons
2011-12-12, 11:40 AM
I like it. Would you mind if I rewrite it with a bit more flair? Because it's difficult for me to just explain what I would do with it.

~snips speech~

Mostly cleaned up grammar and added come literary flair. It will paint your character as well-intentionedly pompous and self-righteous, I think. If that is what you are going for.

It's kinda long too, sorry...

self righteous is what I was going for but not so much irritating, grand yes and I do like the speech. have to copy it down thanks bear punch.

Bearpunch
2011-12-12, 12:04 PM
No problem, it was very enjoyable.

Loren
2011-12-13, 02:44 PM
PersonMan: a round is six seconds, to that'll get you what 10-20 words (depending on which ones).

(out of curiousity, I timed the above out, it worked out to being about 5 seconds, so... *shrug*)

LibraryOgre
2011-12-13, 03:19 PM
PersonMan: a round is six seconds, to that'll get you what 10-20 words (depending on which ones).

(out of curiousity, I timed the above out, it worked out to being about 5 seconds, so... *shrug*)

Time is an illusion; speech-time doubly so. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, as a player, let the GM have his fun every now and again, lest he start strictly timing you on your actions and speech.

"I'm sorry, you've said your six words this round. You're just going to have to wait until next round to continue your statement."

"Whoops! I'm sorry, Mr. Cleric, you need to make a Healing check, since Fighterman is out of words, and can't tell you how bad he's hurt."

"So, mage, now that I've removed the hidden thief from the mat... WHERE are you targeting your fireball?"

So long as the GM isn't actively screwing you with his monologuing, the occasional speechifying is fun.