PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Can you make a wand of caster level 1?

MukkTB
2011-12-12, 04:35 AM
I figured that since you couldn't take the feat until caster level 5 you had to create the wand as at least caster ll 5 to meet the prerequisites for creating the wand.

However people talk about 750 GP wands of cure light wounds. I guess I'm wrong?

Hirax
2011-12-12, 04:36 AM
You can make any level 1 spell into a wand with a CL of 1, yes. The DMG has multiple examples of 750GP wands.

sonofzeal
2011-12-12, 04:46 AM
My understanding is that wands and potions automatically default to the minimum necessary to cast the spell. With that in mind, lvl 1 spells are effectively CL1 with 11 Int/Wis/Cha, lvl 2 spells are CL3 with 12 Int/Wis/Cha, etc. One of the advantages of scrolls is that they use your stats instead.

candycorn
2011-12-12, 04:47 AM
To take the craft wand feat, you must BE caster level 5.

However, when casting spells/creating items, you may voluntarily lower your caster level, so long as your caster level is still high enough to cast the spell in question.

Thus, no matter how high your CL, you may always choose to cast Cure Light Wounds at CL 1. And you may always set a wand's CL at the minimum required to cast the spell... even if your CL is higher.

My understanding is that wands and potions automatically default to the minimum necessary to cast the spell. With that in mind, lvl 1 spells are effectively CL1 with 11 Int/Wis/Cha, lvl 2 spells are CL3 with 12 Int/Wis/Cha, etc. One of the advantages of scrolls is that they use your stats instead.

Actually, scrolls use the minimum stat too. Staves can use your stat.

sonofzeal
2011-12-12, 04:54 AM
Actually, scrolls use the minimum stat too. Staves can use your stat.
Don't they at least use your casting stat? I thought that was one of the differences between spell completion and spell activation.

candycorn
2011-12-12, 05:10 AM
Don't they at least use your casting stat? I thought that was one of the differences between spell completion and spell activation.

Nope. The difference is that you must be able to cast the spell to use spell completion items. Any idiot can use an activation item, such as a potion. You must have the spell on your class list, have a caster level high enough to cast the spell on the scroll, and have the minimum ability score required to cast the spell on the scroll, in order to activate the scroll.

Per SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/magicitembasics.htm#savingthrowsagainstmagicitempo wers), save DCs for magic items are 10 + level of spell or effect + ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Only exception is staves. This rule can be overridden by explicit text. However, no such text exists in the scroll section, nor does it exist in the Spell Completion Item rules.

Examples of exceptions exist in the MIC, for some weapon enhancements, which use the wielders actual stat to modify the DC of certain saves.

Mando Knight
2011-12-12, 01:44 PM
You can craft magic items with a lower effective CL than your own, and this is commonly done pretty much mostly because it's cheaper than using your full CL.

Also, as I understand it, the advantages of Scrolls over Wands and Potions are twofold:

1.) Scrolls do not have a limit on the maximum spell level.
2.) Scrolls are dirt cheap compared to the other two, provided you can use them.