PDA

View Full Version : Explain reverse gravity

Venser
2011-12-12, 07:33 AM
Hello :)

I have a question concerning reverse gravity spell.

IMO it is badly described in players handbook.

The situation is next:
PCs are fighting a monster in a cave. The monster uses reverse gravity on the PCs and they hit the top area of the cave. Once the reverse gravity is activated and they hit the top area, what can PCs do? Can the move, attack, cast spells etc during the reverse garvity's duration?

Also, the spell says that it takes players one round to reach the top area. If they are in the threat range of the monster which had casted the spell, does that monster get an attack of opportunity?

Knaight
2011-12-12, 07:33 AM
Hello :)

I have a question concerning reverse gravity spell.

IMO it is badly described in players handbook.

The situation is next:
PCs are fighting a monster in a cave. The monster uses reverse gravity on the PCs and they hit the top area of the cave. Once the reverse gravity is activated and they hit the top area, what can PCs do? Can the move, attack, cast spells etc during the reverse garvity's duration?

They can still do everything, they're just on the ceiling of the cave for now.

hushblade
2011-12-12, 07:37 AM
Presumably, they're prone on the ceiling. They should be able to stand up and fight as they were after taking their fall damage.

Venser
2011-12-12, 07:40 AM
Presumably, they're prone on the ceiling. They should be able to stand up and fight as they were after taking their fall damage.

So, if they are prone to the ceiling, they can't move during the spells duration?

hushblade
2011-12-12, 07:45 AM
Prone after they fall on their heads. They're capable of standing up, assuming the surface of the ceiling is conducive for moving around anyway.

Mnemnosyne
2011-12-12, 07:48 AM
Why wouldn't they be able to move? The ceiling is now the ground for them. That's it. They can behave entirely normally, except gravity is up for them and not down. It's not super-gravity that keeps them pinned to the ceiling, it's just reversed. If they either walk out of the area or the spell ends, they fall back to the floor.

Venser
2011-12-12, 07:57 AM
Alright :)

One last question.

While they are flying up, they are in the monsters threat area. They are flying up for 1 round. Does the monster get an attack of opportunity on them?

Lucid
2011-12-12, 08:17 AM
I'm not too sure about AoO's, but since they take one round falling up the monster can attack them on it's own round. (I'm assuming that they are out of reach when they hit the ceiling?)

Allanimal
2011-12-12, 08:19 AM
Also, the spell says that it takes players one round to reach the top area. If they are in the threat range of the monster which had casted the spell, does that monster get an attack of opportunity?

If I was the DM, I would give the monster the AOO. If the description said it was instant, thus happening during the monster's turn, I would say know. But since the movement is happening after the monster finishes its turn, then I would allow the AOO.

Venser
2011-12-12, 08:22 AM
Reverse Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Up to one 10-ft. cube per two
levels (S)
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: No
This spell reverses gravity in an area, causing
all unattached objects and creatures
within that area to fall upward and reach
the top of the area in 1 round.

Zeta Kai
2011-12-12, 08:31 AM
Reverse Gravity
Transmutation
Level: Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Up to one 10-ft. cube per two
levels (S)
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: No
This spell reverses gravity in an area, causing
all unattached objects and creatures
within that area to fall upward and reach
the top of the area in 1 round.

That is regurgitation, not explanation. You hear, but do not listen. Clear your mind, meditate, & speak again with wisdom.

leegi0n
2011-12-12, 08:33 AM
That is regurgitation, not explanation. You hear, but do not listen. Clear your mind, meditate, & speak again with wisdom.

What if there's no ceiling? Do you end up on cloud 9 or the moon?

Allanimal
2011-12-12, 08:35 AM
What if there's no ceiling? Do you end up on cloud 9 or the moon?
You would hit the edge of the spell's range, and then start to fall back down, into the spell's range. You would float there for the duration, then fall back to the ground.
I think...

Feytalist
2011-12-12, 08:47 AM
From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reverseGravity.htm):

If an object or creature reaches the top of the area without striking anything, it remains there, oscillating slightly, until the spell ends.

Person_Man
2011-12-12, 08:53 AM
Fun side note: As DM, I once gave a Rogue a set of "Gravity Boots" (I had been playing too much Symphony of the Night) which allowed him to switch gravity for himself and anything he was carrying (up to a light load) twice a round as a free action during his turn, and gave him +20 enhancement bonus to Tumble checks to negate falling damage (ie, with a normal check he could fall about 20-40ish feet without damage). Even though they were functionally less powerful then flight, he really loved those boots.

CTrees
2011-12-12, 09:15 AM
What's interesting is that "one round" clause. Say two PCs are ambushed in a cave. They've just crawled out of a tiny tunnel, two feet tall, and are entering a giant cavern, with a ceiling sixty feet up. The first party member has entered the cavern, but the second is still in the tunnel, when they are ambushed. As an opening salvo, the enemy casts Reverse Gravity, positioned to hit both of them. The first PC takes six seconds to travel the sixty feet to the ceiling. The second, prone in the tunnel, takes six seconds to travel the two feet to her ceiling. Slightly less distance on both counts, really, but the point is: Same spell, same casting, same area of effect, but one target ends up moving thirty times as fast as the other.

DocWoollybear
2011-12-12, 12:58 PM
Fun side note: As DM, I once gave a Rogue a set of "Gravity Boots" (I had been playing too much Symphony of the Night) which allowed him to switch gravity for himself and anything he was carrying (up to a light load) twice a round as a free action during his turn, and gave him +20 enhancement bonus to Tumble checks to negate falling damage (ie, with a normal check he could fall about 20-40ish feet without damage). Even though they were functionally less powerful then flight, he really loved those boots.

Quick aside: there is no such thing as too much Symphony of the Night :smalltongue:

Zeta Kai
2011-12-12, 09:25 PM
Quick aside: there is no such thing as too much Symphony of the Night :smalltongue:

I quote this, for it is Truth.