PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft Thread IX: Beginning of the End

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Scuzzball
2011-12-12, 07:49 AM
[CENTER]http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/Terry576/OoTS/MCThreadBanner.png
Terry576 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=41225) made a very nice banner.
Previous Threads:
Ssssssss... Minecraft (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164347)
Minecraft Thread II: Just One More Block (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171864)
Minecraft Thread III: Zombie Pigs Eventually Forgives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177349).
Minecraft Thread IV:Life's A Birch And Then You Dye (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183503)
Minecraft Thread V: Don't fear the Creeper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190226)
Minecraft Thread VI: All the Blocks Just Form this Way (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199594)
Minecraft Thread VII: Don't Blink (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209439)
Minecraft Thread VIII: Thank you, but our Princess is in another version! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216738)
This thread is by no means primarily for my server, it is for all things minecraft-related, it's just we tend to talk about the server a lot here. So come, be merry, and build amazing things.

Non Server Stuff
Croverus is doing an LP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216357) by text of minecraft!

//__________________________________________________ ______________________
//************************************************** *************

Our Community has a few servers now, listed in order of my bias:

Main GitP Servers:
TO BE WHITELISTED:
add your name to this (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqU4LU4RNy0AdEZqY1VudzdDaDRxTEN3NTR6Z2hvM Wc&authkey=CKedzfgI&hl=en#gid=0) spreadsheet in the first column marked "MINECRAFT NAME HERE", and make a post in the thread.
http://scuzzball.serveftp.com:8080/status.png
Main server:
"scuzzball.serveftp.com:25565"
Betas Server:, Soon to be the main server, and scuzzball.serveftp.com will point to it.
"24.22.117.251"
Sapo runs this, and it's generally on the newer version of minecraft while the main server waits for recomended update.
Mods/Admin Software: The list is on the whitelist

Server Rules
General rules to follow while on the server.

Don't be a ****
Swearing is censored(Cause it was easier to do than not, not that it was ever a problem)
Don't steal peoples stuff
Don't break stuff that isn't yours
Use common sense

Rules for the section of the server that is RPTown:

The setting is fantasy, after a dragon attacks our ship, causes it to wreck, and leaves our characters stranded. Certain steampunk elements (jukeboxes, TNT, minecarts) are allowed, of course.
There are no classes, but most characters do have jobs and specific skills as a result of their backgrounds. Use your own discretion.
Characters should be tied to skins, but the character's name should be used in description whenever possible, as well.
Keep RP things within the RPtown area, please. This includes grudges and so on.
There is no commitment here -- play when you want to, go build and explore elsewhere when you don't. Easy enough, right?
RP should be surrounded by quotes. Dialogue can simply go inside the quotes, and extra description and action are to be within asteriks inside the quotes, to make it clear to people not inside the RP. This is a good way to use names. "Like this, you see? *Deme shuts her book and waves it* I hope that's clear."
Bringing objects is limited at first, except for building materials it would be hard or impossible to get on the landmass, but are still good for characters, like brick or mossy cobble.
However, when a character starts, they can bring a few objects and tools appropriate to the character, for fun's sake. These are objects like tools and items, appropriate to their background -- the things they may have had in what bags they could grab *quickly* or on their person. Again, use your own judgement.
PVP = A-OK. Destroying structures or stealing items, on the other hand will require advance permission from the victim and will require in-story justification, not just for lulz. Otherwise, it shall be declared griefing.
If you want to temporarily "break character" and build a labrynth or a temple of doom to serve as an adventure, feel free. This can apply for groups as well.
If you need people to play special monsters or NPCs for your plot, ask around -- you don't have to (and probably shouldn't) reveal too much until you have some takers, and then, mainly to those who need to know.
The ability to re-spawn after death is a new, strange, magical ability that only happened after the wreck. The characters wouldn't know it at first. The same, of course, applies to the monsters that fester up from the ground after dark...
When building in RPtown, be sensible. Obey whatever laws of physics apply to your character or building materials, be respectful of others' spaces. Unlike regular minecraft, these buildings have to make sense in an IC way.
Most importantly, have fun. Be curious and adventurous and not afraid to bruise the apples with chaos and conflict a little.

IronCraft
IronCraft is a Minecraft building competition in the spirit of Iron Chef.

Do not build in the Ironcraft world unless you are a current contestant, a judge, the chairman (forbiddenwar) or Scuzzball.

Rules are:
Teams consist of no more than 6 players.
Build only with the materials provided to you by the chairman, admin or mod
Build only within set boundary for each team.
Violating rules will result in disqualification

PEOPLE TO CONTACT WHEN SERVER BREAKS
{table=head]Name|Steam Name|Skype Name
Scuzzball|Scuzzball (http://steamcommunity.com/id/scuzzball555)|sdafeds
Memnarch|memnarch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/memnarchx/)|
Sapo|Saposhiente (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045740818/)|
[/table]

//************************************************** *************

Going to an earlier version of minecraft:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/800346-tool-mcnostalgia-201/

Deme
2011-12-12, 08:14 AM
Yay, new thread!

Craftworld
2011-12-12, 08:17 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently under the momentous (and self-inflicted) task of constructing a nation in minecraft. I intend for there ot be lots of castles...any advice other than MCedit. Also please no mods...I have trouble loading those up. I'm looking for castle/village/town/road design advice. Thank you for reading and any help would sure be appreciated.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-12-12, 09:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm currently under the momentous (and self-inflicted) task of constructing a nation in minecraft. I intend for there ot be lots of castles...any advice other than MCedit. Also please no mods...I have trouble loading those up. I'm looking for castle/village/town/road design advice. Thank you for reading and any help would sure be appreciated.

Multiplayer and have multiple individuals build their own area up however they like? This gives you a fantastic diversity of building designs overall, but locally similar.

Ninjaman
2011-12-12, 09:43 AM
When is the next ironcraft gonna be? I think that would be fun to try.

Leon
2011-12-12, 09:58 AM
Slime!!!

I finally found a chunk that has some, now i have also lost the room i carved out to accommodate more spawning in the mass of caves that it is in.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-12, 12:56 PM
OOh, shiny new thread.

...Any idea when the 1.8 server 'll be back up?

Tome
2011-12-12, 12:58 PM
New thread smell. Tasty. :smallamused:

Tyndmyr
2011-12-12, 01:34 PM

Mmm, new thread smell.

Aright, pop on a multiplayer server, stake out as much land as you need for this project, and set the overall rules, and get people to participate. You get fun variety this way, and it actually looks lived in and less artificial. Copy/paste only gets you so far.

Biggest thing..pick an era and stick with it. It's cool to have lots of variety in different areas, but in the same way that I don't want a traditional castle in my modernish city, I would imagine you would not want a yellow skyscraper in your old timey place.

My city project is going fairly well(albeit the server being down puts a crimp in things). Width directly away from the airfield is mostly limited by pre-existing construction thataway, but lengthwise growth is pretty uninhibited, and I can easily grow toward the airfield if I feel like filling in a lot of ocean.

Togath
2011-12-12, 01:57 PM
My city project is going fairly well(albeit the server being down puts a crimp in things). Width directly away from the airfield is mostly limited by pre-existing construction thataway, but lengthwise growth is pretty uninhibited, and I can easily grow toward the airfield if I feel like filling in a lot of ocean.
do you mean the large stonebrick building floating on the ice and tynan's fort?, I'm not 100% sure about tynan's fort, but I'm fine with you expanding towards the stonebrick building(the one I'm talking about is about 16x32, and floating on a frozen sea, with a 1 block wide mote of water around it with a wooden door surrounded by soil in the pattern I use for my shop's doorframes at one end), which is an unfinished shop I was building, but that I keep forgetting to finish

edit; also are snow golem snowball grinders going to be ok to use?
(by snow golem snowball grinders I mean 8 fences arranged in a square with a snowgolem in the center, you activate the grinder by right clicking while holding a shovel, which allows you to gather snow as fast as the golem can create it(as it's in a 1 block area it'll regen the snow instantly, meaning the only limit for how many snowballs you can get is how many shovels your willing to spend on gathering snow), I realised I should ask before I continued using this on box 2, and before the main server updated, in case it would be veiwed as an exploit

Eldest
2011-12-12, 04:12 PM
Multiplayer and have multiple individuals build their own area up however they like? This gives you a fantastic diversity of building designs overall, but locally similar.

Agreed, especially if you can toggle creative mode on for a bit. I'd be happy to make a village.

Scuzzball
2011-12-12, 04:18 PM
OOh, shiny new thread.

...Any idea when the 1.8 server 'll be back up?

Whenever network issues end. As I have no idea what they are and no control of them, I cannot give an ETA.

memnarch
2011-12-12, 06:00 PM

edit; also are snow golem snowball grinders going to be ok to use?
(by snow golem snowball grinders I mean 8 fences arranged in a square with a snowgolem in the center, you activate the grinder by right clicking while holding a shovel, which allows you to gather snow as fast as the golem can create it(as it's in a 1 block area it'll regen the snow instantly, meaning the only limit for how many snowballs you can get is how many shovels your willing to spend on gathering snow), I realised I should ask before I continued using this on box 2, and before the main server updated, in case it would be veiwed as an exploit

Meh, go for it; long as you show people who ask about it.

Togath
2011-12-12, 10:49 PM
ok

edit; a quick question, are water and lava buggy in general for 1.0?, or is it just a quirk of box 2, like how minecart launchers dont work there and booster rails are reversed?

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-13, 12:18 AM
No problem with lava and water in my 1.0.0 SSP

Also, Mem shared an amazing seed with me. I'm busy trying to build a base underground. On Hard. With Ogres.

Actually easier than I thought it would. Just need lots of torches. Soon I might have enough redstone for my automated pumpkin and melon farm. But first I need to find slimes.

Anyone use the slime finder website? If so, does it work well? Is it safe?

memnarch
2011-12-13, 12:25 AM

Anyone use the slime finder website? If so, does it work well? Is it safe?

No. You'll run into slimes, and they'll kill you. :smalltongue: (pretty sure it's fine)

Saposhiente
2011-12-13, 02:17 AM
Server derped, had to run chunkster. There are many, many exciting new derpchunks to be in your way now. Fortunately, I did the smart thing and backed the world up before running chunkster, so if anything was lost I should be able to fix it.
Also, sorry ReluctantReaper, had the server in offline mode so that I could fix some stuff and you popped in before I could put the server in lockdown mode. You can come back now.

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-13, 02:21 AM
thats alright im just going to wander aimlessly and look at stuff if anyone wants to join
:smallcool:

Craftworld
2011-12-13, 08:23 AM
Mmm, new thread smell.

Aright, pop on a multiplayer server, stake out as much land as you need for this project, and set the overall rules, and get people to participate. You get fun variety this way, and it actually looks lived in and less artificial. Copy/paste only gets you so far.

Biggest thing..pick an era and stick with it. It's cool to have lots of variety in different areas, but in the same way that I don't want a traditional castle in my modernish city, I would imagine you would not want a yellow skyscraper in your old timey place.

...I probably should have clarified this first off....I'm building in SSP and I am hoping that once my friend gets past his internet provider's firewall (he asked they said no because he might get viruses but he uses an amalgamation of Unix/Linux/MacOSX that I will never understand so he believes that he is safe...) I'll upload the map and people will begin building. The miscommunication is my bad, and I appologize for it.

Leon
2011-12-13, 09:00 AM
found my slime room, now have a redstone trail leading to it

Castaras
2011-12-13, 09:02 AM
found my slime room, now have a redstone trail leading to it

Watch out for people picking u pthe redstone and putting it in a separate direction... :smalltongue:

*sniff* new thread smell. Perfect. :3

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-13, 11:38 AM
so is anyone going to be on the beta server in the next little bit? Id like to play online with someone rather then offline

Togath
2011-12-13, 12:43 PM
Server derped, had to run chunkster. There are many, many exciting new derpchunks to be in your way now. Fortunately, I did the smart thing and backed the world up before running chunkster, so if anything was lost I should be able to fix it.
Also, sorry ReluctantReaper, had the server in offline mode so that I could fix some stuff and you popped in before I could put the server in lockdown mode. You can come back now.

only one thing I had was lost, an inn beside /warp mushroom base(where there is now a mountain), other than that I dont think anything else I built was damaged, though it looked like some of druid's minecart roads were hit by it as well

edit; also reluctantreaper, I'm often on the secondary server

Leon
2011-12-13, 04:39 PM
Watch out for people picking u pthe redstone and putting it in a separate direction... :smalltongue:

If that happens then something strange is afoot - Single Player Survival.

Castaras
2011-12-14, 05:09 AM

Would be even more amusing. :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2011-12-14, 05:17 AM

Would be even more amusing. :smallbiggrin:

Leon
2011-12-14, 06:44 AM
And in the mean time i negated the need for redstone with a short tunnel (F3 and a good guess at what direction it was on despite the switchbacks) also found that i can sit AFK in a hut near my access ladder and be far enough away for them to spawn

Craftworld
2011-12-14, 08:04 AM
And in the mean time i negated the need for redstone with a short tunnel (F3 and a good guess at what direction it was on despite the switchbacks) also found that i can sit AFK in a hut near my access ladder and be far enough away for them to spawn

...could you build a slime mobavatator?:smallconfused:

Leon
2011-12-14, 08:51 AM
Ive no problem with walking down to check on it every so often.
I think i have solved the major issue with spawning as well as there was a Zombie spawner above the area that i am making for the slimes and was rewarded by a massive 21 slime balls from one Large slime soon after

druid91
2011-12-14, 04:09 PM
I've been upgrading an NPC village, with utility buildings (A brewery, An enchanting library), along with a few quest-hook style things leading to secrets*.

I'm currently working on a sewer system, Can anyone think of anything else?

*Currently the dwarven mine is the only secret, but I'm going to make a few more that are hidden a bit better. That one is mainly to get people started looking for secrets.

Eldest
2011-12-14, 05:38 PM
A fort with a dungeon, have the mine extent until you find a ravine and then make a dwarven "base camp" in the middle of the ravine, with no survivors.

druid91
2011-12-14, 06:37 PM
Done.

I was considering making a Vampire mansion, and a skin to accompany it. And hiding some more secret clues in there.

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-15, 03:28 AM
so druid i wanted to see your stuff you did to the vilalge and warped there then got blown up by a creeper, idk the damage done

Eldest
2011-12-15, 08:15 AM
Now that I think about it, which server is the village on and do you want help building up the village? I like remaking/improving villages. My home on another server (before it shut down) was a village remade in sandstone, with a wall around all of it and a lot of stuff under it, and a nice mine, and... why did that server get shut down? :smallfrown:)

Leon
2011-12-15, 08:55 AM
Turned the Zombie spawner i found into a falling trap that leaves them on low enough health for one hit kills (although had to dig 5 more lvls down for sufficient fall damage)

Just takes a while to start up and shut down due to the lava lamps.

druid91
2011-12-15, 12:49 PM
Now that I think about it, which server is the village on and do you want help building up the village? I like remaking/improving villages. My home on another server (before it shut down) was a village remade in sandstone, with a wall around all of it and a lot of stuff under it, and a nice mine, and... why did that server get shut down? :smallfrown:)

It's on Sapos server, and sure, I just want to keep the surface buildings in the village proper in the same style, and use of wool, and other... rarer materials, as a building material kept to a minimum but otherwise go ahead.

Warp is Druidsvillage.

Eruantion
2011-12-15, 09:45 PM
So, I've been thinking about creating an adventure map that I could maybe someday let people on the internet try out. I was just wondering if anyone had done one before and knows a few things on how to make one. Not like the actual construction, more like how I set up the spawns and all the technical things.

IthilanorStPete
2011-12-15, 10:09 PM
I've been thinking about using minecraft to create a memorial to the 30 people who have died in space/while training for space missions. I was inspired when looking up into the vaulted ceiling of a house I'm building, and seeing that the torches I had scattered around looked a bit like stars...anyways, I was thinking of making a large dome, all of obsidian, with one block of glowstone for each person represented, and torches scattered around to look like stars. How does this sound?

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-15, 10:59 PM
that would be cool StPete it would be nice to see and also respectful to the lives lost

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-12-15, 11:08 PM
I've been thinking about using minecraft to create a memorial to the 30 people who have died in space/while training for space missions. I was inspired when looking up into the vaulted ceiling of a house I'm building, and seeing that the torches I had scattered around looked a bit like stars...anyways, I was thinking of making a large dome, all of obsidian, with one block of glowstone for each person represented, and torches scattered around to look like stars. How does this sound?

Either as a cathedral dome or as the inside of an Observatory, complete with telescope... this idea is made of Win and Awesome

super dark33
2011-12-16, 05:02 PM
If you get the server to work on 1.0.0+,
Build a small house out of nether bricks, put a sign outside that says:

RESERVED FOR SUPERDARK33

when i will get the game legally, i will settle in this house, untill i go to live in the nether.:smallbiggrin:

Maxios
2011-12-16, 05:04 PM
If you get the server to work on 1.0.0+,
Build a small house out of nether bricks, put a sign outside that says:

RESERVED FOR SUPERDARK33

when i will get the game legally, i will settle in this house, untill i go to live in the nether.:smallbiggrin:

When the server becomes 1.0 and you can come on, if you need any supplies; just ask. I have a lot of spare stuff.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-16, 05:06 PM
netherrack tools still need to be a thing that happens. They could be weaker then iron but it would still be nice to have something to work with in the nether.

druid91
2011-12-16, 05:40 PM
You know what would be cool? Evil enchantments.

You power them with soul-sand and experience levels.

They only work on nether-rack tools. And they do crazy things.

Like a sword that makes a portal to the nether when swung. And if you stab someone with it they get sent to the nether....

TechnOkami
2011-12-17, 03:19 AM
Heya GitP Minecrafters! So, I've been looking around this thread for the playground's minecraft shenanigans, and I've decided I'd like to join in on the fun! Though I've got a couple of questions:

a.) How do I join the multiplayer server?

b.) Is there a live map for the server?

Togath
2011-12-17, 05:25 AM
add your minecraft username to the whitelist and post that you have done so here, with your minecraft username in the post, also while we dont have a live map, we do have a few world maps which are updated every week or so, which are posted on(I think) page 23 of the last thread

Ninjaman
2011-12-17, 02:05 PM
You know what would be cool? Evil enchantments.

You power them with soul-sand and experience levels.

They only work on nether-rack tools. And they do crazy things.

Like a sword that makes a portal to the nether when swung. And if you stab someone with it they get sent to the nether....

And you should be able to enchant bow and a stack of arrows. I also think that you would have to encharnt a bucket to allow it to hold lava. That would also mean that you needed diamond in order to get obsidian.

Croverus
2011-12-17, 02:51 PM
And you should be able to enchant bow and a stack of arrows. I also think that you would have to encharnt a bucket to allow it to hold lava. That would also mean that you needed diamond in order to get obsidian.

But you already need diamond to get obsidian...

Volthawk
2011-12-17, 02:57 PM
But you already need diamond to get obsidian...

If you need diamond to use lava buckets, then the technique of lava-moulding obsidian will also need diamond, instead of the iron it needs now.

Croverus
2011-12-17, 03:32 PM
Lava moulding doesn't help you with making an enchanting table.

Edit: also lava moulding is a creative use to make do without rare materials, which is actually very realistic and not unheard of being done in real life with molten material. Yes I can make my nether portal without diamond, but if I put an obsidian block in the wrogn place, I'm screwed.

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-17, 08:07 PM
I put an obsidian block in the wrogn place, I'm screwed.

No, you can still break it with your fist.
It takes 5 minutes, but it's possible.

Croverus
2011-12-17, 08:21 PM

... In 5 minutes I could probably find a ravine that leads to the level where lava and diamonds start appearing. My point is, you have to have diamonds to make an enchanting table. By letting the iron bucket carry lava people can still construct things with lava without having to wait till they find diamonds. I don't see anything wrong with being able to do it since you still need to find the lava, and lava source block are a non-renewable resource.

tl;dr Why do you want to make the game more complicated?

Ninjaman
2011-12-18, 05:31 AM

50 seconds with any non diamond pickaxe. 15 with diamond pickaxe

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-18, 10:19 AM
50 seconds with any non diamond pickaxe. 15 with diamond pickaxe

Nope. 5 minutes with fist, 5 minutes with nondiamond pickaxe, 15 seconds with diamond pickaxe.

It was changed in 1.0.0

Destro_Yersul
2011-12-18, 10:49 AM
Nope. 5 minutes with fist, 5 minutes with nondiamond pickaxe, 15 seconds with diamond pickaxe.

It was changed in 1.0.0

that's kind of silly, considering breaking it with anything but diamond doesn't actually get you the block. Although, if you break obsidian with your fist you get 2 cobblestone, so that's amusing.

Ninjaman
2011-12-18, 12:52 PM

It was changed in 1.0.0

Oh.

Do anybody know why they have made it so that wood, stone and iron pickaxes wouldn't still destroy it quicker.

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-18, 01:12 PM
Do we have any idea yet when the main server is going to be up?

TechnOkami
2011-12-18, 02:49 PM
add your minecraft username to the whitelist and post that you have done so here, with your minecraft username in the post, also while we dont have a live map, we do have a few world maps which are updated every week or so, which are posted on(I think) page 23 of the last thread

Done.

Minecraft Username: TechnOkami

And done.

Croverus
2011-12-18, 03:11 PM
that's kind of silly, considering breaking it with anything but diamond doesn't actually get you the block. Although, if you break obsidian with your fist you get 2 cobblestone, so that's amusing.

Really? So if it IS possible to skip wood tools altogether? Just get cobblestone from punching 2 obsidian blocks and then make a stone pickaxe and now you'll never think about wooden tools ever again!

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-18, 03:58 PM
How do you go about finding obsidian if you have no tools to mine down into the world?

Volthawk
2011-12-18, 04:02 PM
How do you go about finding obsidian if you have no tools to mine down into the world?

I could see some convulted system using dirt/wood, surface lava pools and either lakes/oceans or spring water to make obsidian.

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-18, 04:09 PM
yeah i thought of surface lava but just feel thats not common enough to always rely on it. i suppose with minecraft as it is now you could probably find a cave with lava in it.

Volthawk
2011-12-18, 04:21 PM
yeah i thought of surface lava but just feel thats not common enough to always rely on it. i suppose with minecraft as it is now you could probably find a cave with lava in it.

Yeah. Lava springs could also work, but again they're not particularly common.

Tried it myself (loaded up a new world, found a lava pool and a lake nearby), and getting that channel set up is hard, since you have to make the stream go down in order to keep on flowing after it goes a certain distance, and lava pools aren't very deep, and you have to have the water go onto the lava, not lava onto water.

Augmental
2011-12-18, 04:22 PM
Hey, I started a new world in Minecraft. On my first day, I found a partially-submerged NPC village - it's near an ocean, and most of the roads are completely underwater. I was wondering if anyone else has found villages like this - I'll post a picture after I find out how to make snapshots.

EDIT: Okay, I have a screenshot.http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-18_164115.png

Volthawk
2011-12-18, 04:23 PM
Hey, I started a new world in Minecraft. On my first day, I found a partially-submerged NPC village - it's near an ocean, and most of the roads are completely underwater. I was wondering if anyone else has found villages like this - I'll post a picture after I find out how to make snapshots.

Yeah, NPC villages aren't things that spawn nicely and fit the terrain they sit on.

EDIT: Tried the lava pool thing again, this time the pool was right by a river so I managed to make it go onto a lava block and form a single block of obsidian. Due to the water block source square thing and the fact that the river wasn't straight, I managed to make more source blocks along the stream and extend the flow to make it cover fifteen obsidian blocks, though. So you can do it, you just need luck and effort.

And also you need to not care about tearing up areas of coastline in order to increase the proximity of source blocks to your lava pool.

EDIT2: Success! The entire lava pool is now obsidian (at the top, at least)! I did have to move the coast of the river on one side of the initial flow five or so blocks back and two on the other, meaning now the river's source blocks actually cover some of the lava pool entirely, and don't just flow onto it.

1.0.0 kept the thing where in an empty (ie no physical blocks) 2x2 square, water source blocks on the corners make all four blocks source blocks, right

Destro_Yersul
2011-12-18, 04:53 PM

You punch through the stone with your FISTS. Like a MAN. :smalltongue:

Jimorian
2011-12-18, 05:19 PM
1.0.0 kept the thing where in an empty (ie no physical blocks) 2x2 square, water source blocks on the corners make all four blocks source blocks, right

Yes, the infinite wells still work.

BTW, the source blocks spreading in shallow water areas is a way to make artificial lakes. I've done a small one before, dammed up a small cut into a hillside, laid out a layer of dirt one level below where I wanted the water level, then started filling in the edges with buckets. At certain points, the source blocks would spread quite widely, meaning you don't have to literally place a source block of water across every space on the entire surface. Dig out the dirt layer, and the water will flow downward to completely fill the volume of the lake.

BTW, I have a trick to help keep livestock from escaping in SMP. Instead of building taller fences, I go with a layered approach. A 1-tall fence on the inner perimeter, with a 2-tall fence next to it on the outside. Whatever object clipping and server lag that causes animals to "climb" fences and other block still happens, but in the odd cases where they somehow end up over the fence boundary, they would then have to pull the same trick a 2nd time to get over the next layer of fence. They're more likely to simply wander back into the pen. I've had a couple of escapes still, but it's much much better than before.

druid91
2011-12-18, 05:21 PM
You punch through the stone with your FISTS. Like a MAN. :smalltongue:

Or Blast your way through with TNT. Like a Mad scientist.

Eldest
2011-12-18, 05:45 PM
Or Blast your way through with TNT. Like a Mad scientist.

You get TNT before wood tools?

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-18, 06:03 PM
is there purpose yet for npc villages? all i can tell is they are just extra homes to hide in the npcs dont even do anything..also could someone post a good detailed link on how to get modloader and milleinare

Volthawk
2011-12-18, 06:11 PM
You get TNT before wood tools?

You can, just need one wood block for a workbench and then you can get TNT-crafting. Of course, for that you have to kill creepers with your bare hands...

memnarch
2011-12-18, 06:25 PM
Do we have any idea yet when the main server is going to be up?

Imposter has disappeared for now, so we can't give a good idea when, sorry. On the plus side, Bukkit has released a 1.0.0 version, so it shouldn't be long for the main server to get to be fully up to date.

Leon
2011-12-18, 09:24 PM
I found a village that in a desert biome with a lot of the buildings partially under the sand (the church was a good example - only the tower was visible)

Triscuitable
2011-12-18, 10:38 PM
I found a village that in a desert biome with a lot of the buildings partially under the sand (the church was a good example - only the tower was visible)

Found an oddity once, a Nether biome in the overworld. That was WEIRD.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-18, 10:52 PM
Imposter has disappeared for now, so we can't give a good idea when, sorry. On the plus side, Bukkit has released a 1.0.0 version, so it shouldn't be long for the main server to get to be fully up to date.

In that case, I repeat my request- would an admin please spawn 2 of each basic type of animal, other than wolves, at "/warp ranch" in the appropriate pens when it's 1.0.0, and would everyone leave 'em alone for me?

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-18, 11:52 PM
Could someone please tell me how to capture monster spawns i charting out a map and came across a skeleton spawn

hopefully someone replys soon

memnarch
2011-12-19, 12:00 AM
Could someone please tell me how to capture monster spawns i charting out a map and came across a skeleton spawn

hopefully someone replys soon

Easy, throw a ring of torches on all sides of the spawner. That'll stop mobs from spawning from it, but keep it around in case you want it to be able to spawn later.

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-19, 12:06 AM
Alright thanks, Ill build some stone around it to show people where it is, its kind of off in the middle of nowhere, also there seems to be a lot of dead trees north of druids village

Togath
2011-12-19, 12:12 AM
what do you mean by dead trees?

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-19, 12:16 AM
like the leaves are all brown as is the ground and grass, all over the place north of his village, it was really weird and slightly creepy.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-12-19, 02:25 AM
Ravines are another way to find obsidian without tool use, however most of the methods employed take much longer than actually making the wood tools to begin with.

Destro_Yersul
2011-12-19, 02:32 AM
you only actually need one wood tool. A single pickaxe. One you make that, mine enough cobble to splode' it and never look back.

Togath
2011-12-19, 02:46 AM
like the leaves are all brown as is the ground and grass, all over the place north of his village, it was really weird and slightly creepy.

ah, that's the desert biome color, it's fairly common, so dont worry to much about it

Tyndmyr
2011-12-19, 10:45 AM
You can, just need one wood block for a workbench and then you can get TNT-crafting. Of course, for that you have to kill creepers with your bare hands...

This is sounding like an increasingly awesome challenge.

Wait, isn't there a monster that drops gold or iron now? We might be able to cut out stone as well.

World of Fistcraft.

Found an oddity once, a Nether biome in the overworld. That was WEIRD.

That would make me so happy. I'd immediately mine the entire thing for glowstone, netherrack and obsidian, all the way to bedrock.

On a side note, would it be possible to have an admin move a spawner I found? I can use it to make a mini-grinder where it is, but for purely aesthetic reasons, I'd like to pop it above ground. Building up makes for a much better looking city than building down does.

Eldest
2011-12-19, 11:12 AM
I would keep the nether thing there and bill it as a incursion into our world from the nether. With minifort there and all.

Qwertystop
2011-12-19, 11:29 AM
This is sounding like an increasingly awesome challenge.

Wait, isn't there a monster that drops gold or iron now? We might be able to cut out stone as well.

World of Fistcraft.

You can get Gold from Zombie Pigs in very small amounts (1/8 of an ingot). However, that requires iron or diamond for making a Nether Portal, unless you're really lucky with finding a lava pool of the right depth.

Eldest
2011-12-19, 01:11 PM
I told my brother about this and he said "you can just get a creeper to blow up near some stone."

Deme
2011-12-19, 02:15 PM
You can. I did a challenge where I could only destroy one block by my own hands a day (not counting blocks I placed). In other words, there was a lot of creeper-baiting.

Croverus
2011-12-19, 02:22 PM
K guys, so its an official new challenge. There are several mentioned methods to skip wood. So the challenge is to go straight from fists to stone tools. For extra challenge, trying skipping stone and doing iron (creepers will help you here).

Honestly, proper use of creepers can help avoid needing to make wood and stone tools if your very careful and good with timing. :smallcool:

Edit: Deme, that sounds awesome I'mgonna go try it now.

Shovah
2011-12-19, 03:02 PM
You can. I did a challenge where I could only destroy one block by my own hands a day (not counting blocks I placed). In other words, there was a lot of creeper-baiting.

This was during/just after the permissions problems we had quite a while back, right?

That was fun :smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-12-19, 04:55 PM
K guys, so its an official new challenge. There are several mentioned methods to skip wood. So the challenge is to go straight from fists to stone tools. For extra challenge, trying skipping stone and doing iron (creepers will help you here).

Honestly, proper use of creepers can help avoid needing to make wood and stone tools if your very careful and good with timing. :smallcool:

Edit: Deme, that sounds awesome I'mgonna go try it now.

You'll also need coal for iron, plus 8 stone for the forge... that would require a *lot* of creeper-baiting...

Scuzzball
2011-12-19, 05:42 PM

I found him! The new router refuses to forward ports, and is "a bit ****."
He says maybe wednesday, once his school stops doing lots of stuff. Or something.

Qwertystop
2011-12-19, 06:12 PM
You'll also need coal for iron, plus 8 stone for the forge... that would require a *lot* of creeper-baiting...

Creeper explodes a tree, you have wood for coal. Creeper explodes a wall, you have stone.

Maxios
2011-12-19, 10:36 PM
Quick question: who is Imposter?

conzom
2011-12-19, 11:57 PM
Quick question: who is Imposter?

I believe it is Scuzz's friend who hosts the server.

factotum
2011-12-20, 02:41 AM

Or is it someone just pretending to be him? :smallsmile:

Deme
2011-12-20, 07:50 AM
This was during/just after the permissions problems we had quite a while back, right?

That was fun :smallbiggrin:

It was fun, and yeah; that was when it was. I ended up building a nice little log/sod/wool house eventually, with the help of some bonemeal and all...

Maxios
2011-12-20, 12:41 PM

Huh. I just assumed that Scuzz or Sap or Mem hosted the server.

Scuzzball
2011-12-20, 09:35 PM

Yeah. 10char you may be smote

TechnOkami
2011-12-21, 10:15 AM
So... I added my name to the Whitelist... how can I get onto the server?

memnarch
2011-12-21, 02:15 PM
So... I added my name to the Whitelist... how can I get onto the server?

I'd put you on the list, but the servers (both of them) seem to be down. :smallyuk:

TechnOkami
2011-12-21, 02:28 PM
I'd put you on the list, but the servers (both of them) seem to be down. :smallyuk:

Aw. :smallfrown:

riccaru
2011-12-21, 03:36 PM

I think every server is down right now. I can't connect to any of the ones I use.

Saposhiente
2011-12-22, 02:36 AM
Derp. Forgot to turn it on after a reboot. You probably could have fixed it with your ssh

memnarch
2011-12-22, 04:54 AM
Aw. :smallfrown:

You have now been added. :smallsmile:

Togath
2011-12-22, 05:01 AM
I found him! The new router refuses to forward ports, and is "a bit ****."
He says maybe wednesday, once his school stops doing lots of stuff. Or something.

good to know that the problem has been identified, even if it takes a while to get it fixed, knowing what it is should help somewhat.

Also; for those who are joining the server(sap's server currently) feel free to make use of empty houses at /warp far village(other than the one you warp into), if you end up wanting a premade shelter while you get started on the server.

edit; posting because I realised I had forgotten to say anything about the fact that, other then the house you warp into, I'm not using the houses in that npc village on sap's server, and it seemed like useful information to post, as several people have joined recently.

Razanir
2011-12-22, 09:23 AM
Can I be whitelisted?

TechnOkami
2011-12-22, 10:17 AM
You have now been added. :smallsmile:

Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I have one last question: what's the server address? I tried the ones on the first post, but they won't let me in.

Volthawk
2011-12-22, 02:03 PM
In my single player world, I have delved into a ruined temple of doom and fire.

See, there were two near to each other. I'd had a look around one, only thing of interest was a skeleton spawner and a chest with some loot in it, apart from that mostly just looping tunnels and the like. So I go to this next one not expecting much difficulty. I initially don't find much, but hear this really werd mob sound. I look around some more, and find myself meeting a Blaze. Yeah, the things usually only found in Nether dungeons. Them. I kill that one, and hunt for the spawner. I find it, as well as a load of Blazes. I run out, and they chase me. Now, Blazes set the blocks their shots hit on fire. The temple-ruin thing was in a swamp. I kill the Blazes outside (after they kill me), deal with the fires, and head back in. This time, I get the spawner and quickly loot the chest, before falling down a hole, and going to 3 or so hearts. I sit down there and heal up, before a spider falls on me, and poisons me - turns out this place has a blue spider spawner too. So I run out, pursued by poisonous spiders and a Blaze or two that was around before I took out the spawner, and run into a crocodile and a wraith outside (it was night). I manage to deal with the threats, and quickly build a shelter outside.

So now I'm in some small hut built of cobble and mossy I mined out while getting around the temple, waiting for my health to regen, while normal night monsters mill around outside and the temple's supply of spiders regenerates. There may be more spawners around, the two I mentioned are the only ones I know of.

On the bright side, I have managed to get seven Blaze rods from all this, and the loot from that chest was mainly an iron sword and pick and a healing potion (I'm not that far into this world, just got iron tools and cleared that first temple really. Also hunted crocs for hide so I could make armour, but that's all broken now.)

(I'm running with the Technic pack, which includes the ruins in this set of mods (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/171188-v10formivores-mods-city-wall-road-generators/), as well as Mo' Creatures)

EDIT: Success! I found the spawner, after much searching. Turned out it was in the watery lower tunnels, and the spiders just seemed to be coming from up high because they'd climb up to the upper levels. No loot around that spawner, though.

EDIT2: And it turns out that in the first ruin the Millenaire Mayan ruin stuff was also in there. Got a decent amount of gold ingots and other little things. Means my little base I'd made out of a little entrance area to the side has expanded a bit. Looking from a distance makes me think that there's a whole lot more I haven't explored in this first ruin (there's this spire thing I haven't been in).

Saposhiente
2011-12-22, 04:02 PM
Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I have one last question: what's the server address? I tried the ones on the first post, but they won't let me in.

Define "won't let you in". Mainserver is down atm due to hardware issues, and the betas server is on 1.0.0, so make sure you have that version of minecraft. If "won't let you in" = "Disconnected by server: You are not on the whitelist", then please restate your Minecraft name (Capitalization matters!)

Scuzzball
2011-12-22, 04:41 PM
Sapo, does rsync sync both ways? At this point we should start syncing the whitelist on changes, not just a straight copy.

TechnOkami
2011-12-22, 06:42 PM
Define "won't let you in". Mainserver is down atm due to hardware issues, and the betas server is on 1.0.0, so make sure you have that version of minecraft. If "won't let you in" = "Disconnected by server: You are not on the whitelist", then please restate your Minecraft name (Capitalization matters!)

Ok, lets see...

Attempt using: "scuzzball.serveftp.com:25565"
Result: "Can't Reach Server"

Attempt using: "24.22.117.251"
...worked...

Attempt using: "scuzzball.serveftp.com"
Result: "Can't Reach Server"

Ok, nevermind, the middle one worked :D Oh, and yeah, technical issues with the main one.

Saposhiente
2011-12-22, 09:49 PM
Sapo, does rsync sync both ways? At this point we should start syncing the whitelist on changes, not just a straight copy.

Syncing both ways would require a program specially designed for the file type.

Volthawk
2011-12-23, 09:55 AM
That CARuins mod that they put in the Technic pack sure makes some big impressive structures. Just found this:

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx342/LBF-Volthawk/2011-12-23_144921.png

The floor of it seems to be infested with (blue) spiders and scorpions. Lovely.

Razanir
2011-12-23, 09:59 AM
Should I have mentioned I'm littlepigmc?

Eldest
2011-12-23, 10:03 AM
That temple looks like the mountain you can make with an automatic mountain generator.

you alternate dropping lava and water on the same spot, and it grows.

Volthawk
2011-12-23, 10:10 AM
That temple looks like the mountain you can make with an automatic mountain generator.

Huh, haven't heard of one of those before. I think the big difference though would be that this is all stone brick, not cobble.

I've managed to loot the ground level as since it was daytime and the structure has a lot of gaps, there wasn't much darkness for the mobs, so I didn't have much of a problem zipping in, looting a chest or breaking a spawner, then leaving again. It's night now, though, and while I'm holed up elsewhere, a lot of mobs are spawning in there. I think the gaps in the structure will mean sunlight will get a lot of them, though.

Qwertystop
2011-12-23, 10:32 AM
The floor of it seems to be infested with (blue) spiders and scorpions. Lovely.

Scorpions?

Volthawk
2011-12-23, 10:33 AM
Scorpions?

Mo' Creatures.

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-23, 12:47 PM
anyone else having trouble with the minecraft servers and website?

enderlord99
2011-12-23, 01:15 PM
I have an idea for a mod pack: Modception

Basically, it will include mods based on other games. However, they will also add features that weren't in the vanilla version of the games they were based on. (For example, the TF2-based mod could include green, yellow, and black teams, in addition to the standard red and blu ones.)

What do you guys think?

Eldest
2011-12-23, 01:54 PM
I have an idea for a mod pack: Modception

I do not understand this reference... :smalltongue:

For the automatic mountain generator, my friend said what it did and then said "but it's too complicated for you to understand." So then while they tried to troll servers (they all had lava blocked for newcomers), I made a better version.

Grytorm
2011-12-23, 02:57 PM
Hello, I have started playing Minecraft again and have found a huge Mushroom Biome in a seed.

Seed
i dont care

I just thought it would be nice to share. The only problem with it is that you have to go a long way to find wood. All the way around the mushroom Biome. Also below one of the little ponds scattered about is some Lava.

Razanir
2011-12-23, 03:36 PM
Hi... :elan: Kinda still waiting to be whitelisted... I put my name on the spreadsheet like it asked

super dark33
2011-12-23, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know about a good texture pack?

Volthawk
2011-12-23, 05:44 PM

I quite like SMP Revival, personally.

Leon
2011-12-23, 05:46 PM

I built a "Volcanic" island off the coast on my creative world using lava and water alternated across 3 spots to get lava flow happening.

I am using Painterly textures and wondering how i lasted so long on default - i did have to change the rock texture a couple of times to get a good fit but aside from that and getting used to a couple of other changes its much nicer.

Eldest
2011-12-23, 07:26 PM
I use Xaiwaker, expect it isn't working with 1.0 yet (at least, I haven't checked) so I'm using some random other texture pack my brother downloaded.

TechnOkami
2011-12-23, 07:30 PM

I'm using the Calmere Horror Texture Pack myself, I really like it.

Gallus
2011-12-23, 08:27 PM
Heya, I just added my name to the server whitelist, I assume the Main Server is on 1.0 by now, or am I wrong?

Togath
2011-12-23, 08:34 PM
I'm using the Calmere Horror Texture Pack myself, I really like it.

that does actually remind me of something I've been trying to remember to ask; does anyone know which texture pack is used in the yogscast's run of the wintertide(I think that's it's name, it's the first winter themed one they did this year, the one with the eerie village that you have to go around looking for letters that have clues to tasks you need to do in it) adventure map?

Volthawk
2011-12-23, 08:45 PM
that does actually remind me of something I've been trying to remember to ask; does anyone know which texture pack is used in the yogscast's run of the wintertide(I think that's it's name, it's the first winter themed one they did this year, the one with the eerie village that you have to go around looking for letters that have clues to tasks you need to do in it) adventure map?

Looking at the description of the videos in question, they say it's the Enchanted texture pack. Here's a link (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/479158-32x100-steelfeathers-enchanted-pack-wip-added-extras-file/) to the pack's download separate from the adventure.

Togath
2011-12-23, 08:56 PM
ty, I've been trying to figure it out for a while

Heya, I just added my name to the server whitelist, I assume the Main Server is on 1.0 by now, or am I wrong?

actually the main server is 1.8.1 currently, and also down, though sap's alt server is up and is 1.0

memnarch
2011-12-23, 10:27 PM
Reason number.... something for having the whitelist be the google spreadsheet; much simpler than trying to extract names from this thread. Two names have been added.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday so far! :smallsmile:

Togath
2011-12-24, 03:44 AM
Came up with an interesting idea for something I may try building(either in single player, and seeing if I can make it sort of like an adventure map, or on our server, like the pyramid dungeon that I built, and the castle parkour/maze that I am building) after finding this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlatformHell) had a name; a parkour/dungeon/platformy thing done in minecraft in a style simelar to this?, Does anyone have any ideas for traps unique to minecraft that could work well for something in that style?, One idea I've had so far(which would only work for an adventure map style thing) would be a spot that needs to be creepered in order to continue.

edit; I don't mean requireing exploits or anything like that, or one that is so hard as to make people simply give up on it, I more mean in the spirit of platform hell games, such as an obvious pathway and a semi hidden pathway both leading to different un escapable pits, with false jumping challenges inside to make them look semi escapable, possibly that lead to some sort of lethal trap if you head along the false escape route(perhaps only on one, to make it seem even more like the other is actually a way out), with the correct path being something such as one hidden behind a painting near the start.

edit #2: finished reading that trope, not quite what I thought it was, I meant something closer to the 3.5 version of tomb of horrors, basic a lot of traps and tricks

Volthawk
2011-12-24, 08:03 AM
So, I load up a new world using the Technic Pack (and the other mods the CARuins guy made, the wall and city ones). I wander around a bit, until I find these stairs going down into the ground. Nothing elaborate on the surface, just stone around the edge of the opening. I go down, noting the obsidian arches, and then I see grass. And a glowstone block in the ground. And an enderman. I look around, and there's these....domes of obsidian, and endermen all over the place - the domes had enderman spawners. I wander around, and I see more patches of grass and glowstone between the domes, and in one place I can see a glowstone cluster, like those in the Nether. Weird place...

Made weirder by the mix of the normal hostile mobs you find down underground, the endermen who just wander around in and around their domes, and the animals that spawn because of the grass and glowstone. Also, the only chest loot I've found is a bunch of cookies in one of the domes. Apparently endermen eat cookies.

Also, I have MAtmos, which give endermen their own sounds, so there's this constant alien-like sound down here. Sounds a bit like Half-Life's vorts, actually.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-24, 08:07 AM
*snip*

Piston-controled flooring that opens up to a pit of lava in such a way that you need to time your walk/sprint across it just right in order to pass? If you go further then the closed pistons, you fall into the lava, if you don't travel with the closed pistons, you fall into the lava.

druid91
2011-12-24, 02:06 PM
Well I built a lava-lake, and now I want to build a vending machine that dispenses Fire-resistance potions.

Can anyone think of a way to do that that isn't overly huge?

Volthawk
2011-12-24, 02:11 PM
Well I built a lava-lake, and now I want to build a vending machine that dispenses Fire-resistance potions.

Can anyone think of a way to do that that isn't overly huge?

Dispenser+Button? Only would have a capacity of 9 potions before refilling, but barring mods I don't know a way of auto-refilling dispensers. I guess you could have a piston system cycling through dispensers...

The-Mage-King
2011-12-24, 02:15 PM
@Druid: Yep. I actually have a setup for that.

'Course, it was built to trick noobs and guillible people into thinking I could turn cobble into netherrack, but... should be adaptable.

Croverus
2011-12-24, 03:31 PM
Ah yes, the magic machine. That was pretty cool.

druid91
2011-12-24, 03:46 PM
I built a dispensor one... It's the size of a small building.

Augmental
2011-12-24, 10:16 PM
Is anyone else on the beta server often? Most of the time, when I go in, there's nobody but me.

conzom
2011-12-25, 03:35 PM
Merry christmas everyone =]

see you all again when the server comes back up ^^

YangR13
2011-12-26, 12:00 AM
The server's down? Aw...
Just found the time to play again since we're on a 2 week break.

I was on my friend's 1.0 server, but for some reason he decided to OP a guy who then decided to cover the spawn in TNT swastikas :smallmad:

*mutters*

Anyways, hope everyone's been enjoying themselves :smallbiggrin:
Happy Holidays!

- Yang

Togath
2011-12-26, 01:13 AM
1.8.1 server is down, sap has a 1.0 server up though

Iruka
2011-12-26, 09:15 AM
Could I get whitelisted for the 1.0 server?
Username is 1ruka.

memnarch
2011-12-26, 11:55 AM
Could I get whitelisted for the 1.0 server?
Username is 1ruka.

Done! :smallsmile:

Augmental
2011-12-26, 01:25 PM
Well, I'm amazed. I've started up a new Minecraft world, and I found a ravine near the end of day 1. Skip to the end of day 2, and I'm at my base next to a furnace smelting 40 blocks of iron ore found in said ravine. I also found a nice lava flow and 17 pieces of coal. I'm going to take some pictures soon.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-26_135143.png
The ravine.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-26_135054.png
The lava flow I found. I accidentally took the source block with a bucket before I got the picture, so I put it back in the same place.
There's also something that happened to me that I think is pretty awesome. After smelting all my iron and making a pick and sword, I realized it was day outside. I went outside to mine the ravine more, and a creeper was there. I hit it a couple of times with my sword, but accidentally fell into the ravine. I survived the fall, and figured the creeper wouldn't chase after me anymore now that I was out of its sight. Then it jumped down into the ravine, right next to me - and died right before it could explode. Pretty hilarious first creeper encounter, if I do say so myself.

super dark33
2011-12-26, 05:46 PM
I made a new world at hardcore and called it Saxton hale.
because i stay awake at nights and kill creepers with MY BARE HANDS!, do BRAVE JUMPS! and PROPARTY DAMAGE! ,eat only steaks at any time and the only tools i use are stone pickaxes.

Augmental
2011-12-26, 08:40 PM
Well, holy jeez. I found an underground ravine, and it's full of water and lava. The bottom of it is layer 12, which I think means I can find diamonds in it. I haven't found any yet, but I've found redstone and gold. Right now, I'm looking for more gold to make some powered rails for my redstone testing room. Here's some pictures:[
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-26_201914.png
The redstone test lab.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-26_201930.png
My main base.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-26_201953.png
The entrance to my base. The glass is there so I don't get jumped by mobs when I go outside in the morning. Also in this picture is a fountain created by a floating source block, and a stone... thing made when I poured water on some lava. I was trying to make obsidian, but I thought it look pretty sweet, so I kept it.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-26_202048.png
The base that surrounds the entrance to the ravine.
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m638/Supergan3/2011-12-26_202410.png
The ravine itself. It has all the obsidian I'll ever need, but it's a bit tricky to mine here due to all the lava. Worth it, though.

Eldest
2011-12-26, 10:23 PM
It's better if you search for diamond at level 10. There's a probability spike there.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-27, 03:15 AM
if your mining the obsidian it's best to allow a stream of water to flow over it, it will push you around though, so alternatively you can create an infinite water source and make a small pool at the digsite. This however will mean you get to mine one layer of obsidian, then you need to remove the entire lake and bring it down one layer to get at the next layer without going underwater.

Having water over obsidian while you dig means the obsidian block has a very low chance of being vaporised by the lava underneath it, and said lava will solidify into obsidian immediately after contact with the water.

on a different note, while we are waiting for the multiplayer server to get back up, what would you say if you got to suggest one change to Jeb for minecraft? Personally i would say "bigger, more frequent, dryer desert biomes, and smaller, less frequent snow biomes." It is really frustrating how snow biomes can encase entire continents, but it's near impossible to find a desert biome that doesn't have some other biome within walking distance in every direction. Even rarer still is a very large desert biome that doesn't have a million lakes and rivers running through it.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-27, 12:37 PM
Boost the skycap!

Seriously, I've accidentally run into it a few times and had to rework plans to be on a smaller scale. Terribly annoying.

AlecBG
2011-12-27, 01:56 PM
Can I be whitelisted please? :smallsmile:

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-27, 03:31 PM
Boost the skycap!

Seriously, I've accidentally run into it a few times and had to rework plans to be on a smaller scale. Terribly annoying.

Changing the skycap from 128 to 256 will make the game unplayable on most computers. There is an easy mod that does it, but you can see how quickly your system crashes.

Leon
2011-12-28, 06:56 AM
Blaze Trap is operation (minus the lava and complex redstone timer switches)

I spent a couple of hours wrangling with my Zombie Trap mk2 (redstone issues once more) and abandoned it to try the Blaze trap i saw on Avidyazens LP. Its currently without the mid level interior pistons but seems to be doing fine without them. (edit - going to add them as they seem to be getting stuck mid level every so often)

The lava flooded the chamber twice and had its holes plugged till i can be bothered to work out what went wrong (the design that i followed for it seemed overly fiddly anyway and my previous lava light setups have work ed much better so i may swap it to that method).
Redstone and me have a hit and miss relationship so the complex timer switch is on hold till i can be bothered to study how its done and repeatedly try it till it works.

Now have a Rail link to the outskirts of the Nether Fortress and soon will have it to my Blaze harvesting base (ran out of Gold to make powered rails as its quite a bit higher in level than the main level of track)

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-28, 11:54 AM
Blaze Trap is operation (minus the lava and complex redstone timer switches)

I spent a couple of hours wrangling with my Zombie Trap mk2 (redstone issues once more) and abandoned it to try the Blaze trap i saw on Avidyazens LP. Its currently without the mid level interior pistons but seems to be doing fine without them. (edit - going to add them as they seem to be getting stuck mid level every so often)

The lava flooded the chamber twice and had its holes plugged till i can be bothered to work out what went wrong (the design that i followed for it seemed overly fiddly anyway and my previous lava light setups have work ed much better so i may swap it to that method).
Redstone and me have a hit and miss relationship so the complex timer switch is on hold till i can be bothered to study how its done and repeatedly try it till it works.

Now have a Rail link to the outskirts of the Nether Fortress and soon will have it to my Blaze harvesting base (ran out of Gold to make powered rails as its quite a bit higher in level than the main level of track)

Is it anything like Etho's blaze farm? He has an in depth tutorial on blaze farms and behavior. I never had a problem with his design.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-28, 01:26 PM
Once the server is back up and running and on full-release, we should really do something about the forests just outside RPtown, endermen have been running wild out there so long that the whole place resembles a half-finished jigsaw puzzle. Only problem is there are a LOT of trees to clean up, maybe we could unnerf fire on that world temporarily and use it to take down large chunks of trees at a time? (after taking the proper precautions to ensure the fire does not spread to any wooden buildings or the like.) Then it would be a simple matter of removing any treematter that didn't burn and replanting the forest.

If not we may need to organize some sort of OOC cleanup effort to clear cut and/or reassemble the forest piece by piece. this would likely take quite some time however due to the extent of the damage.

Endermen will still be able to pick up dirt however, so it seems we will need to live with random one-block deep holes in the ground.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-28, 01:35 PM
Changing the skycap from 128 to 256 will make the game unplayable on most computers. There is an easy mod that does it, but you can see how quickly your system crashes.

I'd be ok with some intermediate value. It need not be a base 2 number. Still, there are probably improvements that can be done on this. It sounds like it's treating empty blocks as getting updates or something...if it's an empty pillar of air, it really shouldn't be adding much in the way of overhead.

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-28, 02:01 PM
I'd be ok with some intermediate value. It need not be a base 2 number.

The game code for block generation only allows for block chunks in certain increments. Intermediate values are impossible without rewriting every line of the random generation code. As for optimization, Optifine works wonders, so you can load a 256 world and play it on some machines (and super expensive high end machines can do more, like 2048+)

More information here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmDqNIfTkwI

Tyndmyr
2011-12-28, 02:03 PM
The game code for block generation only allows for block chunks in certain increments. Intermediate values are impossible without rewriting every line of the random generation code. As for optimization, Optifine works wonders, so you can load a 256 world and play it on some machines (and super expensive high end machines can do more, like 2048+)

More information here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmDqNIfTkwI

I'll check it out later. I've got a fairly shiny new i5 with...eight gigs of memory, I believe. Should be aright.

memnarch
2011-12-28, 02:07 PM
Enderman stuff.

Should be a simple matter for an admin to remove all the trees, then generate new ones. That'll save the RPers lots of trouble.

Leon
2011-12-28, 07:43 PM
Is it anything like Etho's blaze farm? He has an in depth tutorial on blaze farms and behavior. I never had a problem with his design.

I believe that it is, i have looked at Etho's tutorial and the lava still goes awry despite it being the same as the tutorial.

The complex redstone is me and redstone not computing well (i moved a switch to the opposite side of of what is a mirrored set up and the pistons stopped working, even after turning the the repeater around)

Also tried the Potion of Harming as a method to killed massed Blazes - works well when you aim right.

Endermen will still be able to pick up dirt however, so it seems we will need to live with random one-block deep holes in the ground.

Erosion

Togath
2011-12-28, 08:09 PM
Should be a simple matter for an admin to remove all the trees, then generate new ones. That'll save the RPers lots of trouble.

just dont destroy the giant oak on top of my mountain there

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-29, 01:23 AM
or Cro's massive birtch tree for that matter.

Togath
2011-12-29, 01:47 AM
good point, the command to replant would probably hit something like that as well(the tree I had origanally been thinking about was just a giant oak which spawned with incorrectly coloured leaves and in an odd location when rpworld was moved to a new map).

also; I would be willing to help clean up the forest once the server gets back online if the replant command thingy would mess up peoples' trees.

riccaru
2011-12-29, 11:50 AM
good point, the command to replant would probably hit something like that as well(the tree I had origanally been thinking about was just a giant oak which spawned with incorrectly coloured leaves and in an odd location when rpworld was moved to a new map).

also; I would be willing to help clean up the forest once the server gets back online if the replant command thingy would mess up peoples' trees.

Clear cut the area and use the world edit command to generate a forest. I'm pretty sure that won't replant the existing tress.

Leon
2011-12-29, 12:02 PM
Found out why my lava goes everywhere in the Blaze trap - the Pistons which i currently don't have active have pressure plates that stop the lava flow. Of course now a piston is not working (lave should not be a factor in it as its sealed behind glass)

The pistons will make a big difference i think, they make working inside it a bit more troublesome at the very least.

Saposhiente
2011-12-29, 03:29 PM
I could apply a finer touch to mass deforestation with VoxelSniper.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-29, 05:13 PM
Maybe just deforest smaller chunks soas to avoid Cro's tree and Birch forest?

What would everyone's opinions be on doing something akin to This (http://youtu.be/lKdIHWM38rc?t=14m15s) to make RPtown seem more populated? Could trap em in the marketplace booths to serve as visible NPC shopkeeps so it doesn't just look like we are buying from empty chests. Or perhaps build small little houses to put them in or place them in otherwise uninhabited buildings. (Town hall anyone?)

Would take a lot of minecart tracks and a lot of luck to find the village, and we'd probably need to destroy the village afterwards so people don't get confused about anything, but it could potentially make the town much nicer. We'd just need to be careful of not letting the little buggers outside.

For minecart tracks Tam's got a lot of unforged iron he's mined up, but if we want to/can accept OOC tracks I’ve got a few stacks I’ve mined up from abandoned mineshafts while digging for runecrafting materials.

Deme
2011-12-29, 05:29 PM
I think if we did anything like this, we'd have to do it IC. It'd be too big and too hilariously silly not to. I think I can think up a hook -- the Pale Lady detects a village of people who are about to be destroyed by some means (anyone got a villain idea, maybe?), and we need to save them and bring them into town...But they don't speak the lingua franca of this world, hence the really bizzare methods.

That said, I wonder if the /spawn command can't make some. I will have to try that.

Croverus
2011-12-29, 05:44 PM
Once the RP server and all is up to 1.0.0 I spend about 90% of my time on the server messing around in the woods fixing trees (or viciously wiping out the non birch trees and replacing them). So once the update happens I have no problem spending my time maintaining the forests and repairing ender-damage. I'd end up doingit anyway. And it frees upthe admins so they can do more important things, like finding NPC villages and getting those guys back to RPtown to populate the town so it doesn't look so empty.

Also, any way to better light up the town so we dont have hostile mobs spawn in the middle of town?

Deme
2011-12-29, 05:46 PM
I'm pretty sure we have torches in all the areas in town, for just that reason.. But we are trying to think of improved methods of lighting. Have there been problems?

super dark33
2011-12-29, 05:50 PM
I think if we did anything like this, we'd have to do it IC. It'd be too big and too hilariously silly not to. I think I can think up a hook -- the Pale Lady detects a village of people who are about to be destroyed by some means (anyone got a villain idea, maybe?), and we need to save them and bring them into town...But they don't speak the lingua franca of this world, hence the really bizzare methods.

That said, I wonder if the /spawn command can't make some. I will have to try that.

Need excuse for RP?
make a crashed rocket, put a box inside it, put all iron inside it.
Superdark sent you a gift of friendship from anouter dimension!

druid91
2011-12-29, 08:14 PM
How would you go about siege warfare in Minecraft, both Scuzz-server specific and Vanilla?

How would you go about attempting to actually set up a truly secure fortress?

For Vanilla I'd have a fortress with a Lava Moat, with the source blocks out of reach.

Obsidian walls. And a redstone controlled system to Obsidify the entry-hall, so as to prevent access.

Archery would be a big part of the defence, and wood would be the backbone of nothing important.

To counter TNT Cannons I'd make the Rooves Flat with pools of Water atop them, or shells of obsidian.

Secondly I'd have at least a 5 block thick obsidian base to build upon.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-29, 08:25 PM
Scuzz server? Encase it in Obsidian. That's 'bout the only way that someone won't be able to infiltrate.

Eldest
2011-12-29, 09:04 PM
Easiest way to secure your base: make it so nobody can find your base.
Go East (or any other randomly chosen direction) and go at least until you cross an ocean. Now build your base. If you're able to, make a private warp to there. If not, when going to the base head in the wrong direction until you're far enough out to sea that you can't see land, and look around in all directions for people following you, then use your private map to go to your base. Alternately, build it on an island in the middle of the sea.
If sir does not like, lava moat/redstone traps would work.

Scuzzball
2011-12-29, 09:55 PM
Okay, I like this idea for a competition. Once the server goes back up, a chosen week you get to build a fortress.
At the end, everyone seiges your fortress, or something.

conzom
2011-12-29, 10:26 PM
Okay, I like this idea for a competition. Once the server goes back up, a chosen week you get to build a fortress.

i would very much like to be one of the people laying siege if i can be =] i'm pretty good at finding weak-points in structures after playing on a PVP server for a while, all i did was break in to peoples bases and steal all their stuff =]

Eldest
2011-12-29, 10:38 PM
I would build a base. Good luck finding it. :smalltongue:
If I can't hide it, I would be an attacker as well. I suck at defense building. In fact, this might be a workable Ironcraft competition as well. For the best looking fortress, or somesuch.

memnarch
2011-12-29, 10:41 PM

Everyone being normal minecraft users. No one has a chance against admins. :smalltongue:

I like this idea as well; maybe make it a new world or something?

Eldest; not a bad idea.

Eldest
2011-12-29, 10:42 PM
Good, I'm getting tired of puttering about in SSP. Of course, we'd have to get the servers online (hint, hint. Wink. Wink. NUDGE. NUDGE.)

Scuzzball
2011-12-29, 11:03 PM
Good, I'm getting tired of puttering about in SSP. Of course, we'd have to get the servers online (hint, hint. Wink. Wink. NUDGE. NUDGE.)

I'm trying but Imposters dad is too busy to fix the router and refuses to trust Imposter with the password to it. Not much I can do about this. I might be able to throw together some hardware here, but I gave all my extra ram to blackfox. So I guess that won't work.
We may just make the server that Sapo is hosting the primary one, as it's not looking like progress is going to be made soon on getting the current primary server up.

Eldest
2011-12-29, 11:05 PM
Ok, not a problem. Now that I'm looking at that, it looks way more hostile that I thought, so sorry about that. Good luck with the server.

super dark33
2011-12-30, 04:53 AM
I built a large flying 15x15x15 obsidian cube with 5 block thick walls, that every cube that is exposed outside, has a lava sourceblock on it. it was all encased in glass. only enterence is through nether, that has a large cube there as well.
i did it in creative of course.:smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-12-30, 07:24 AM
I built a large flying 15x15x15 obsidian cube with 5 block thick walls, that every cube that is exposed outside, has a lava sourceblock on it. it was all encased in glass. only enterence is through nether, that has a large cube there as well.
i did it in creative of course.:smallbiggrin:

Creative? That takes all the fun out of it. Besides, you just made a huge honkin' security vulnerability with that Nether Portal... the Nether is a lot harder to secure than the real world is.

Eldest
2011-12-30, 12:12 PM
Would the nether be usable? Because that would be interesting...

super dark33
2011-12-30, 02:28 PM
Creative? That takes all the fun out of it. Besides, you just made a huge honkin' security vulnerability with that Nether Portal... the Nether is a lot harder to secure than the real world is.

I built the same structre in the nether,complete with furniture, with a small entrance hidden in the lava falls.
i bult it in creative to see if i cna do it and how much will it take.
in the middle of it, there is a fully powered enchantment library. on the floor there are Brewing stands, crafting table, lots o furnaces and a portal to the nether.
its built within a nether fortress with blazes, so they are also a line of defence.

Scuzzball
2011-12-30, 03:20 PM
Would the nether be usable? Because that would be interesting...

Yeah, we can have a few portals between or something, and you can make more. I'll try to set it up so it will create new ones automatically in the nether for the duration of the competition.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-30, 04:01 PM
assuming we do the fortress thing, i'd like the suggest making obsidion an unusable block in construction, it just takes the fun out of a seige if it's impossible to break down the walls.

Maybe a bed of obsidion beneith the whole thing so people aren't falling into holes while trying to defend or attack, but that's about it.

Forbiddenwar
2011-12-30, 04:24 PM
We can always load up Vech RFW and play a match. Same thing right? Forts, cannons, siege weapons.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-30, 04:33 PM
How would you go about siege warfare in Minecraft, both Scuzz-server specific and Vanilla?

How would you go about attempting to actually set up a truly secure fortress?

For Vanilla I'd have a fortress with a Lava Moat, with the source blocks out of reach.

Obsidian walls. And a redstone controlled system to Obsidify the entry-hall, so as to prevent access.

Archery would be a big part of the defence, and wood would be the backbone of nothing important.

To counter TNT Cannons I'd make the Rooves Flat with pools of Water atop them, or shells of obsidian.

Secondly I'd have at least a 5 block thick obsidian base to build upon.

#1: Storage bolt-holes with essential provisions stashed below ground with no external markings. Must remember coords to find them.

#2: Traps. So very many traps. Usually with lava. Death is cheap, loss of gear is expensive.

#3: Build central fortress to top of skybox to prevent easy roof infiltration. Massive moats of lava, dug out to bedrock.

#4: TNT cannons for offense. Giant trench warfare over terrain.

#5: Offensive use of mob spawning towers.

I would LOVE this competition. Just be aware that delaying tactics and intentional devices to kill you and destroy your gear will be part and parcel of my stuff.

monkman
2011-12-30, 05:26 PM
#1: Storage bolt-holes with essential provisions stashed below ground with no external markings. Must remember coords to find them.

#2: Traps. So very many traps. Usually with lava. Death is cheap, loss of gear is expensive.

#3: Build central fortress to top of skybox to prevent easy roof infiltration. Massive moats of lava, dug out to bedrock.

#4: TNT cannons for offense. Giant trench warfare over terrain.

#5: Offensive use of mob spawning towers.

I would LOVE this competition. Just be aware that delaying tactics and intentional devices to kill you and destroy your gear will be part and parcel of my stuff.

You forgot the last point,
#6 : Army of Snow golems (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Snow_Golem) somewhere in the structure:smallbiggrin:

Leon
2011-12-31, 06:11 AM
It Works!!!

A lot of alt tabbing to check the tutorial and kept on trying till it went my way.

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-31, 07:52 AM
part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWbIETDbNMg&feature=g-all-f&context=G2d2dc77FAAAAAAAACAA) of project pokemon if anyone wants to see it, it's not relevant to rptown since we don't live in a cave, but i figured someone might be interested in seeing how it turned out.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-31, 08:52 AM
assuming we do the fortress thing, i'd like the suggest making obsidion an unusable block in construction, it just takes the fun out of a seige if it's impossible to break down the walls.

Maybe a bed of obsidion beneith the whole thing so people aren't falling into holes while trying to defend or attack, but that's about it.

Er, Obsidian is breakable, sir. Very breakable. Just slow.

You forgot the last point,
#6 : Army of Snow golems (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Snow_Golem) somewhere in the structure:smallbiggrin:

Sounds fantastic!

Yeah, can't wait for server to be back up...Ima start seriously stockpiling mats for my attempt at it...thankfully, the store's current stockpile is high.

I'm gonna need a rather ridiculous amount of lava buckets, obsidian, redstone, diamond, pistons, etc...I only have 30 unused pistons at the moment, too!

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-31, 02:58 PM
Er, Obsidian is breakable, sir. Very breakable. Just slow.

Yeah, but unless you have over two hundread and fifty peices of TNT to detonate all at one point without any of it flying away, you ain't gunna get through that stuff with TNT cannons.

Vknight
2011-12-31, 04:24 PM
I'm back with working minecraft!!!!
And trying to start my own server but failing horribly

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-12-31, 08:29 PM
We can always load up Vech RFW and play a match. Same thing right? Forts, cannons, siege weapons.

This. SO MUCH THIS!

Yeah, but unless you have over two hundread and fifty peices of TNT to detonate all at one point without any of it flying away, you ain't gunna get through that stuff with TNT cannons.

That, sir, is why Notch created Diamond Picks...

Draconi Redfir
2011-12-31, 08:43 PM
That, sir, is why Notch created Diamond Picks...

Compleatly different topic here.

Vknight
2011-12-31, 10:25 PM
Ok my server is up!

Yes Vknights server is up if you want in send me a message and I'll send you the I.P address & white list you.

Also as a warning 'Spawn' is in the middle of the ocean but you can see land so just go forward.
That will be the case until I build a bridge

Vknight
2011-12-31, 11:30 PM
Ok I've lost what my server number is how do I find it?

Scuzzball
2012-01-01, 12:49 AM

Go to whatismyip.com

EDIT: and did you want me to put info for it in the OP?

Vknight
2012-01-01, 03:14 AM
No you can put Vknight has a server Scuzz but, I'm keeping the I.P to me and people that ask.

Saposhiente
2012-01-01, 06:00 AM
Was playing Deep Space Turtle Chase, and I learned something.
I CAN MAKE A BETTER COMBO LOCK THAN THE GREATEST MINDS OF THE VOXELBOX :D
See, the design they use doesn't detect when an incorrect button has been pressed; only whether the buttons have been pressed in the right order. If, in the middle of that right order, there are a bunch of wrong presses, it doesn't notice. For example, if the combo is 5,2,1,4 I can just press 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,5,Enter and it'll let me through. If you repeat this pattern n times, you will get any combo of length n. This allowed me to skip actually finding out what the combo is. The way to prevent this is actually rather complicated, but I've done it.

TechnOkami
2012-01-01, 06:03 AM
Heya, I've got a question. I'm currently using the episode 2 version of the Calmere Nightmare Texture Pack, and I'm wondering if I can change something in it. As per the desires of the creator to make his horror-themed world, he changed the color of snow (and subsequently snow golems) to this icky looking sort of green ichor color. Basically, is it possible to change the icky green color back to white so I can have white snow and not green slime covered mountainsides?

Togath
2012-01-01, 06:13 AM
not sure, though the painterly pack has a similar look to it(and he used many features from it, though the snow, pumpkins, armor[my favorite part of it] weapons and cyan wool are custom[also has the downside of the custom cyan wool being an invisible block, used to make one of the rooms look more dangerous than it really is])

Tome
2012-01-01, 06:53 AM
Heya, I've got a question. I'm currently using the episode 2 version of the Calmere Nightmare Texture Pack, and I'm wondering if I can change something in it. As per the desires of the creator to make his horror-themed world, he changed the color of snow (and subsequently snow golems) to this icky looking sort of green ichor color. Basically, is it possible to change the icky green color back to white so I can have white snow and not green slime covered mountainsides?

Yep, perfectly possible.

Just open up the texture pack's Terrain.png in whatever graphics editor you prefer (anything other than Paint will do) and copy and paste in the relevant bits from Minecraft's default Terrain.png (that one's found in the Minecraft.jar, just scroll down a bit to find it).

Alternatively, just give me a link to the texture pack and I'll do it for you if you want.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-01, 08:13 AM
Was playing Deep Space Turtle Chase, and I learned something.
I CAN MAKE A BETTER COMBO LOCK THAN THE GREATEST MINDS OF THE VOXELBOX :D
See, the design they use doesn't detect when an incorrect button has been pressed; only whether the buttons have been pressed in the right order. If, in the middle of that right order, there are a bunch of wrong presses, it doesn't notice. For example, if the combo is 5,2,1,4 I can just press 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,5,Enter and it'll let me through. If you repeat this pattern n times, you will get any combo of length n. This allowed me to skip actually finding out what the combo is. The way to prevent this is actually rather complicated, but I've done it.

Have any of the buttons not included in the answer drop lava onto the individuals who input the wrong answer?

Togath
2012-01-01, 08:36 AM
Yep, perfectly possible.

Just open up the texture pack's Terrain.png in whatever graphics editor you prefer (anything other than Paint will do) and copy and paste in the relevant bits from Minecraft's default Terrain.png (that one's found in the Minecraft.jar, just scroll down a bit to find it).

Alternatively, just give me a link to the texture pack and I'll do it for you if you want.

if you end up editing it could you provide a link to it for me as well?(with either normal minecraft or painterly tools replacing the ones in the adventure, and with normal style gravel[either the generic texture for it, or one of the painterly ones])
edit; link to the page with the texture pack is here (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/823947-adv-horror-calmere-nightmare-episode-ii/)
(at least if he meant the one from part two of the trilogy)

Tome
2012-01-01, 09:43 AM
if you end up editing it could you provide a link to it for me as well?(with either normal minecraft or painterly tools replacing the ones in the adventure, and with normal style gravel[either the generic texture for it, or one of the painterly ones])
edit; link to the page with the texture pack is here (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/823947-adv-horror-calmere-nightmare-episode-ii/)
(at least if he meant the one from part two of the trilogy)

It appears to already be using the Painterly tools, barring a slight dab of blood on the iron sword.

Anyway, here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LMG38MCX)'s the version with just the snow modded. I'll do the snow golems and snowballs in a bit.

EDIT Link updated. I've fixed the snow golems as well. Interesting thing, did you know they actually have heads under those pumpkins? The pumpkin head uses the texture for a pumpkin, but there's an actual texture for a snowman head underneath that. I imagine if you turned off the texture for pumpkins you'd be able to see it.

EDIT2 And here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8G11Y4MR)'s a version with the gravel and tools fixed.

Ninjaman
2012-01-01, 10:28 AM

Widows+R
Type cmd
Type ipconfig

TechnOkami
2012-01-01, 04:07 PM

Seeing that I don't own anything but paint (I want photoshop so badly q-q), I will be sending it your way! Thank you very much.

Linkity link link mclinkin's. (http://www.mediafire.com/?4xmkiinalhyg8dw)

Tome
2012-01-01, 04:28 PM
Seeing that I don't own anything but paint (I want photoshop so badly q-q), I will be sending it your way! Thank you very much.

Linkity link link mclinkin's. (http://www.mediafire.com/?4xmkiinalhyg8dw)

Already done mate, check a couple of posts back. :smallbiggrin:

TechnOkami
2012-01-01, 04:31 PM
Already done mate, check a couple of posts back. :smallbiggrin:

...oh! Sorry, I didn't see the link at first. Thank you very much.

Jimorian
2012-01-01, 09:26 PM
Widows+R
Type cmd
Type ipconfig

That only gives the IP of your INTERNAL network, not the IP that the rest of the internet sees your machine as.

Saposhiente
2012-01-01, 09:45 PM
Have any of the buttons not included in the answer drop lava onto the individuals who input the wrong answer?

All you do then is just test which buttons do that, and then do the pattern with the ones that don't. Actually solving the problem requires having every button press reset the currently on RS NOR latch so if you press a wrong button you have to start over.

Ninjaman
2012-01-02, 10:42 AM
That only gives the IP of your INTERNAL network, not the IP that the rest of the internet sees your machine as.

That explains a lot.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-01-03, 12:36 AM
All you do then is just test which buttons do that, and then do the pattern with the ones that don't. Actually solving the problem requires having every button press reset the currently on RS NOR latch so if you press a wrong button you have to start over.

So four nested RS NOR latches, failure to press the right button on any of them resets all of them?

riccaru
2012-01-03, 01:21 AM

Go to whatsmyip.com.:smallconfused:

The-Mage-King
2012-01-03, 01:22 AM
So... Any word on the server, other than the last update (Imposter not allowed to set up port forwarding) I saw?

Saposhiente
2012-01-03, 10:37 AM
Server 2 still up. Working on transferring maps and changing the domain name pointer since server 1 doesn't look like it's going to be fixed soon.

Deme
2012-01-03, 02:47 PM
Well, call me when maps are transferred, and I'll be coming back happily.

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-03, 03:07 PM
it'll be both a boon and a blessing when we finally get to full release and endermen are nerfed.

Boon because they can still move sand, thus uglifying my deserts. And also because they no longer move cobblesone, so they can no longer play with that little ruined castle we have on the hill:smalltongue:

Blessing because you know, much less greifing.

BladeofObliviom
2012-01-03, 03:41 PM
it'll be both a boon and a blessing when we finally get to full release and endermen are nerfed.

Boon because they can still move sand, thus uglifying my deserts. And also because they no longer move cobblesone, so they can no longer play with that little ruined castle we have on the hill:smalltongue:

Blessing because you know, much less greifing.

Um...

A boon (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/boon) is positive. Do you mean a curse?

Draconi Redfir
2012-01-03, 04:33 PM
derp, shows me to not use a dictonary. yes i mean a curse.

IthilanorStPete
2012-01-03, 06:29 PM
Hey, folks. I'm trying to use MCEdit to import part of an older world (from Beta 1.7) I don't want to just convert it with Minecraft itself; I had been using IndustrialCraft, and I'm worried about corrupting the save. I want to use MCEdit to delete the part of the world where I was doing IC stuff, then convert the world to work with Minecraft 1.0; how do I go about doing this, exactly? MCEdit seems tricky to use, and I can't figure out how to do this. I appreciate any help.

TechnoScrabble
2012-01-03, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm thinking about hosting a minecraft server from my computer, but I don't have another computer, so I'd have to play on it, too. Also, I've never hosted a server before. Suggestions?
Also, what system requirements should I meet first? Lemme know what about my computer you'd need to know an I'll PM it to you.

EDIT: Also, are there any maps with examples of all the different redstone circuits? I had one once, but I lost it...

The-Mage-King
2012-01-03, 07:03 PM
Server 2 still up. Working on transferring maps and changing the domain name pointer since server 1 doesn't look like it's going to be fixed soon.

Would that transfer inventory and Xp from the main server too? Mostly because I... Had amassed a rather large amount that I don't want to waste, and was carrying stuff I wouldn't like to lose, either.

memnarch
2012-01-03, 07:18 PM
Hey, folks. I'm trying to use MCEdit to import part of an older world (from Beta 1.7) I don't want to just convert it with Minecraft itself; I had been using IndustrialCraft, and I'm worried about corrupting the save. I want to use MCEdit to delete the part of the world where I was doing IC stuff, then convert the world to work with Minecraft 1.0; how do I go about doing this, exactly? MCEdit seems tricky to use, and I can't figure out how to do this. I appreciate any help.

Make a selection that covers the areas that don't have ANY industrialcraft things by clicking two opposite corners of the thing you want to copy/make a schematic of, adjust the selection by click&holding one of the buttons at the bottom of the screen (one's blue, other's yellow) then using the wasdqz keys (i think) to fine tune the actual corners.

Go to the left of the screen and click "copy"; everything inside that selection box will be copied.

If you then click "save" in the new window thing that appears, you can save that selection as a schematic to your harddrive/flashdrive.

To put it into another world, just load that world in MCedit, then click the crane picture at the bottom, next to the head picture.

Then just navigate to the saved location and click "open".

Hey guys, I'm thinking about hosting a minecraft server from my computer, but I don't have another computer, so I'd have to play on it, too. Also, I've never hosted a server before. Suggestions?
Also, what system requirements should I meet first? Lemme know what about my computer you'd need to know an I'll PM it to you.

EDIT: Also, are there any maps with examples of all the different redstone circuits? I had one once, but I lost it...
Eh, just a high end computer will do. If you can play minecraft with all the settings maxed out for looking nice and still get excellent fps, you can probably run a server well. Just need plenty of RAM in addition to that.

Take a look here for redstone? (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits)

Would that transfer inventory and Xp from the main server too? Mostly because I... Had amassed a rather large amount that I don't want to waste, and was carrying stuff I wouldn't like to lose, either.

Sheesh, other servers wouldn't even bother saving anything from non-admins/mods/donators and sometimes not even then. Look, we'll try to keep as much as we can, but no guarantees. And please don't complain if it turns out that we can't.

The-Mage-King
2012-01-03, 07:27 PM
Sheesh, other servers wouldn't even bother saving anything from non-admins/mods/donators and sometimes not even then. Look, we'll try to keep as much as we can, but no guarantees. And please don't complain if it turns out that we can't.

Eh. I was just asking idlely.

If so, great. If not, meh. I can deal. :smalltongue:

Scuzzball
2012-01-03, 08:41 PM

I would honestly be surprised if those broke. It's in the mapdata.

Saposhiente
2012-01-03, 08:45 PM

Player data is within the folder for the main world, yeah.
This also means that I get an excuse to remove Druid91's creative, since that's stored there too :smalltongue:

IthilanorStPete
2012-01-03, 09:00 PM
Make a selection that covers the areas that don't have ANY industrialcraft things by clicking two opposite corners of the thing you want to copy/make a schematic of, adjust the selection by click&holding one of the buttons at the bottom of the screen (one's blue, other's yellow) then using the wasdqz keys (i think) to fine tune the actual corners.

Go to the left of the screen and click "copy"; everything inside that selection box will be copied.

If you then click "save" in the new window thing that appears, you can save that selection as a schematic to your harddrive/flashdrive.

To put it into another world, just load that world in MCedit, then click the crane picture at the bottom, next to the head picture.

Then just navigate to the saved location and click "open".

Thanks! It seems to have worked fine.

Leon
2012-01-04, 06:05 AM
Oh my... Ocean Biome. It took 3 days to cross by boat. Was beginning to wonder if i had found the endless oceans at the edge.

Qwertystop
2012-01-04, 08:15 AM
Oh my... Ocean Biome. It took 3 days to cross by boat. Was beginning to wonder if i had found the endless oceans at the edge.

You might have. The endless ocean is just a result of a decreased chance of finding land the farther you get from spawn. If you weren't too far, there might still have been a chance of finding an island large enough to seem like mainland.

Forbiddenwar
2012-01-05, 01:22 AM
Anyone playing with the "weekly" snapshots? If so, what do you think of them?

Tyndmyr
2012-01-05, 12:11 PM
Eh. I was just asking idlely.

If so, great. If not, meh. I can deal. :smalltongue:

Yeah, I'd be pretty sad to not have my city and things...xp though, I had nothing notable.

super dark33
2012-01-05, 03:13 PM
Anyone playing with the "weekly" snapshots? If so, what do you think of them?

How can i download one?

Volthawk
2012-01-05, 03:14 PM
How can i download one?

Jeb releases them on his Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_).

super dark33
2012-01-05, 03:17 PM
Jeb releases them on his Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_).

Yeah but where? does it require specific files?

memnarch
2012-01-05, 03:24 PM

It's just another minecraft.jar, so nothing beyond the download.

super dark33
2012-01-05, 03:26 PM
It's just another minecraft.jar, so nothing beyond the download.

It just 'Bonk!' me when i try to open it.

:smallfrown:

Volthawk
2012-01-05, 03:31 PM
It just 'Bonk!' me when i try to open it.

:smallfrown:

Ah, right. What you do is you download that file, then go to your .minecraft file (to get there you can open minecraft, go to texture packs, click on 'open texture pack folder', then go back one folder). In the .minecraft folder, got into the 'bin' folder, and replace the minecraft.jar file in that folder with the one you downloaded. There you go - next time you play minecraft, it'll be the updated version.

Forbiddenwar
2012-01-05, 03:49 PM

More information here on the wiki (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history/Development_versions#Minecraft_1.1.0_Snapshots)

you can also download them from the wiki on that page.

super dark33
2012-01-05, 04:08 PM
Huh... when i replace the minecraft Jar file with the downloaded one and play, it just creats a new minecraft jar file in the bin folder.
strange?

Forbiddenwar
2012-01-05, 04:25 PM
Huh... when i replace the minecraft Jar file with the downloaded one and play, it just creats a new minecraft jar file in the bin folder.
strange?

When you launch minecraft, it checks your .jar with the last official jar. if they don't match, it should ask if you want to update now. and if you click yes it downloads the official jar and replaces it.

If you didn't get the prompt asking you if you want to update, then yes it is strange and I suspect some mistake in the instructions.

Scuzzball
2012-01-05, 11:26 PM
Fun notes: Imposters server is now running and can be accessed! I'm working on updating bukkit at this point.

Prendre
2012-01-06, 12:17 AM
YAYYYYY!

Now we just wait until the server is suitable for human habitation, I suppose. :smallsmile: