PDA

View Full Version : With a father like that...

SavageWombat
2011-12-12, 10:48 AM
I think we've seen the major force affecting Nale's personality.

Imagine, if you will, a boy who wanted nothing more than to please his father, and that father teaching him to scheme, plot, and backstab.

Of course he's competitive - dads encourage that. Beating the old man at a scheme would be the sign that he's worthy of respect.

But this episode makes it clear that Nale has never, ever come up with a plan in which is father didn't turn out to be two steps ahead all along.

And boy, does he resent it.

No wonder his plans come across as convoluted - it's the only chance he has to win for once.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-12, 01:42 PM
Yeah.

This is all beginning to look strangely familiar… (http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Lex_and_Lionel)

Dr.Epic
2011-12-12, 01:46 PM
I think we've seen the major force affecting Nale's personality.

I don't know. Maybe Nale was just always evil regardless of upbringing. We saw him smacking Elan as a baby. Perhaps it's nature here instead of nurture.

Karoug
2011-12-12, 01:49 PM
It kinda reminds me when my dad taught me chess and he always defeated the crap out of me... It certainly is aggravating to constantly lose, but at the same time it gives you a solid goal, so Nale's actions are pretty much understandable.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-12, 02:17 PM
I don't know. Maybe Nale was just always evil regardless of upbringing. We saw him smacking Elan as a baby. Perhaps it's nature here instead of nurture.
You are aware that, short of pompous tracts on the matter, it is generally a combination?

Vorynn
2011-12-12, 04:43 PM
It kinda reminds me when my dad taught me chess and he always defeated the crap out of me... It certainly is aggravating to constantly lose, but at the same time it gives you a solid goal, so Nale's actions are pretty much understandable.

My dad did that too, I'm glad of it. Taught me chess at age 4, and we played a lot. Mom always told him "why don't you let the kid win sometimes?" but he refused. I won my first game around age 11, and *boy howdy* did that feel good. By age 12, I was winning half the time. By 14 the tables were turned and Dad was the one who rarely won.... We still play, and we've both gotten better over the years, maybe a 70/30 split now ;)

Alagaesian
2011-12-15, 12:13 PM
My dad did that too, I'm glad of it. Taught me chess at age 4, and we played a lot. Mom always told him "why don't you let the kid win sometimes?" but he refused. I won my first game around age 11, and *boy howdy* did that feel good. By age 12, I was winning half the time. By 14 the tables were turned and Dad was the one who rarely won.... We still play, and we've both gotten better over the years, maybe a 70/30 split now ;)

Same here, except I learned it at age 7 and I've only ever won against him once. (I was 14.) If anything, it taught me how to play well defensively, waiting for my opponent to make a mistake and then going in for the kill. While my father was able to trick me into coming after him sometimes and a good enough defender himself to repel my attacks when he honestly did make a mistake, most of his relatives we nowhere near as good as he was. At family reunions, this lead to exchanges of, "Oh God, I'm getting thrashed by a 10-year-old. Hey, does anyone know how I can win a game against someone with three queens?"

Anyways, back on topic. I also think Nale's concern with "everyone knowing he's the winner" is partially a result of Tarquin shoving drama conventions down his throat. Stories are based on how people perceive the characters - they're noble/diabolical/wimpy/threatening because the audience perceives them as such. Nale's learned to associate looking like a threat to actually being one.

Although, the irony of this entire situation is that Nale found a way to become a more major villain than his father. Nale's recurring - Tarqin's probably a one-arc side villain. Now that Tarquin has served his purpose of giving the Order the location of the Gate, he is in great danger of getting killed to establish the entrance of the real Big Bad.

Peelee
2011-12-15, 12:36 PM
Now that Tarquin has served his purpose of giving the Order the location of the Gate

The location of where Penelope thought Draketooth might be, actually. Nobody said anything about any gate until the last couple of strips. Gate could be the EoB for all we know

Occasional Sage
2011-12-15, 01:04 PM
Although, the irony of this entire situation is that Nale found a way to become a more major villain than his father. Nale's recurring - Tarqin's probably a one-arc side villain. Now that Tarquin has served his purpose of giving the Order the location of the Gate, he is in great danger of getting killed to establish the entrance of the real Big Bad.

I see no irony. Tarquin doesn't WANT to be a major villain: he wants to win, and staying off the heroes' radar keeps him from stopping sharp pieces of metal with his center of mass.

Ceaon
2011-12-15, 01:07 PM
I see no irony. Tarquin doesn't WANT to be a major villain: he wants to win, and staying off the heroes' radar keeps him from stopping sharp pieces of metal with his center of mass.

Irony or no irony, Tarquin seems to have become a major villain as well since comic #821.

AutomatedTeller
2011-12-15, 02:52 PM
The convoluted plans come from his mom, as seen here in comic 725 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html).

Occasional Sage
2011-12-15, 03:12 PM
Irony or no irony, Tarquin seems to have become a major villain as well since comic #821.

You know, I thought you'd biffed the number for a minute, then realized that there's a new comic.

Well, huh. That takes us someplace new, dunnit?