PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to make the number of your Turn Undead based on Wisdom?

Talionis
2011-12-12, 11:07 AM
I was just curious. I thought that I saw a guide once that had a way to change what Turn Undead was based upon. I just can't remember which guide. Does anyone know?

Geigan
2011-12-12, 11:16 AM
The only thing I've heard of is the Serenity feat from Dragon 306 and Dragon Compendium. It allows paladins to key all their abilities off of wisdom including Turn Undead IIRC.

Greenish
2011-12-12, 11:19 AM
The only thing I've heard of is the Serenity feat from Dragon 306 and Dragon Compendium. It allows paladins to key all their abilities off of wisdom including Turn Undead IIRC.It doesn't specify paladin Turn Undead, so if you grabbed Divine Grace (its only prerequisite) from PrC paladin, you could key your TU uses for cleric to Wis.

Geigan
2011-12-12, 11:29 AM
It doesn't specify paladin Turn Undead, so if you grabbed Divine Grace (its only prerequisite) from PrC paladin, you could key your TU uses for cleric to Wis.

Ah yes, you are correct. That would be a reason to make a prestige pally dip 2 levels instead of 1 for once. Though I suppose it's only really worth it if there's a huge disparity between your charisma and wisdom.

Psyren
2011-12-12, 11:31 AM
Ah yes, you are correct. That would be a reason to make a prestige pally dip 2 levels instead of 1 for once. Though I suppose it's only really worth it if there's a huge disparity between your charisma and wisdom.

For most Clerics, there is :smalltongue:

Geigan
2011-12-12, 11:34 AM
For most Clerics, there is :smalltongue:

Depends on whether losing that caster level and a feat slot is really worth it just to make yourself a bit more SAD. I don't like to be depressed.:smallfrown::smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-12-12, 11:56 AM
Depends on whether losing that caster level and a feat slot is really worth it just to make yourself a bit more SAD. I don't like to be depressed.:smallfrown::smalltongue:

That's not the only benefit; you also add every paladin spell to your list, gain proficiency with all martial weapons, and of course Serenity applies to your Divine Grace as well.

Geigan
2011-12-12, 12:10 PM
That's not the only benefit; you also add every paladin spell to your list, gain proficiency with all martial weapons, and of course Serenity applies to your Divine Grace as well.

Well you get the paladin spells and martial weapon proficiency from a 1 level dip anyway do you not? The question would be if the feat slot and the dead caster level on prestige pally 2 is worth getting some more SAD and divine grace(paladin mount and lay on hands as well, but those aren't that great for two levels), and frankly that depends on the character. Though if you're going into prestige pally the extra level is probably worth taking unless you were going into other PrCs that you were expecting to lose caster levels on. Unless of course casting wasn't a priority, then go nuts.

Psyren
2011-12-12, 12:14 PM
Fair enough, but honestly Divine Grace and WIS turn attempts could be worth losing a caster level. The main reason it's not suggested more often is because Serenity is Dragon material.

gbprime
2011-12-12, 12:44 PM
Well you get the paladin spells and martial weapon proficiency from a 1 level dip anyway do you not? The question would be if the feat slot and the dead caster level on prestige pally 2 is worth getting some more SAD and divine grace(paladin mount and lay on hands as well, but those aren't that great for two levels), and frankly that depends on the character. Though if you're going into prestige pally the extra level is probably worth taking unless you were going into other PrCs that you were expecting to lose caster levels on. Unless of course casting wasn't a priority, then go nuts.

Actually, it takes 2 feat slots. You need Mounted Combat to qualify. And if you're in for 2 levels, you might as well take a 3rd since it comes with spells, Divine Health, and Aura of Courage.

So the best caster you can get out of it is Cleric 6 / Prestige Paladin 3, which casts and turns at 8th level and has a BAB of 7. It also takes up 1 feat slot for Mounted Combat, and your 9th level feat slot for Serenity.

Geigan
2011-12-12, 01:38 PM
Actually, it takes 2 feat slots. You need Mounted Combat to qualify. And if you're in for 2 levels, you might as well take a 3rd since it comes with spells, Divine Health, and Aura of Courage.

So the best caster you can get out of it is Cleric 6 / Prestige Paladin 3, which casts and turns at 8th level and has a BAB of 7. It also takes up 1 feat slot for Mounted Combat, and your 9th level feat slot for Serenity.

Again, I was making my statement under the assumption that one is already in prestige pally for a 1 level dip so the investment of mounted combat is already assumed as well. Good point about PrC pally 3 though.

eepop
2011-12-12, 02:22 PM
Just taking extra turning one time can achieve most of the same thing as far as number of turn attempts is concerned, and its far less disruptive to your build than the prestige paladin + serenity trick.

And if we're okay with using two feats, taking extra turning ends up being more turning attempts until you get to high levels of gear.

Talionis
2011-12-12, 02:40 PM
Fair enough, but honestly Divine Grace and WIS turn attempts could be worth losing a caster level. The main reason it's not suggested more often is because Serenity is Dragon material.

Did Wizards ever put out a compilation of the Dragon Magazine Material. I would definitely buy a book or two or possibly three of compilations of all those feats.

Greenish
2011-12-12, 02:47 PM
Did Wizards ever put out a compilation of the Dragon Magazine Material. I would definitely buy a book or two or possibly three of compilations of all those feats.Wizards of the Coast didn't write Dragon Magazine stuff, that was Paizo.

Anyway, yeah, there's Dragon Magazine Compendium Vol. 1, that incidentally does have Serenity.