PDA

View Full Version : Limiting Active Effects

Maquise
2011-12-12, 11:57 AM
I have an idea for a house rule, and I'm wondering what effect it would have. My goal is to limit the power of casters and prevent some rules abuse.

Any spellcaster can only have a number of spells active at any given time equal to their casting attribute modifier. A spell is active during its duration after it is cast. Spells with a duration of instantaneous do not count against this number.

I'm not sure how permanency would affect this yet. I'm considering an optional rule that additional spells can be cast, requiring a concentration check that increases with every spell active over the limit. I would also likely add an Extra Active Spells feat.

Keneth
2011-12-12, 12:13 PM
That's not really gonna limit casters in any horrible way. In fact, it might just cripple the rest of the party because the caster is gonna be less inclined to buff anyone else when they could be buffing themselves/controlling the battlefield.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-12, 12:15 PM
I played in a campaign where characters were limited to 10 Magic Effects (buffs + items). Raising the Magic Effect limit could be done through feats (which was gained every even level, IIRC).

It was.. Interesting, to say the least.

Person_Man
2011-12-12, 03:24 PM
I have a homebrew rule that you might want to consider, designed to dramatically cut back on book keeping and make the game easier and more fun for new players.

All spells, powers, maneuvers, class abilities, and everything else in the game can be used at-will.

If an ability effects you (a buff) or something you control and could dismiss (ie, a Summons or Dominate similar battlefield control effect) and lasts for longer until the end of your turn, then you may only have one in effect at any given time. I call this your Focus ability. They have no duration. You simply activate them, and then they stay active until you activate another Focus ability. Activating a Focus ability is an Immediate Action if it's defensive or Skill related, or a Full Round Action if it's offensive/buff related.

If any particular offensive ability is used more then once in a given encounter, then you get a -2 to hit and damage rolls with that ability, and anyone hit gets a +2 to any Save or check. Multiple uses impose cumulative penalties.

If a non-Focus ability doesn't allow an attack roll or Saving Throw, you can't use it. If you want to play a weaker Tier 4 or lower class, you may choose to be exempt from these rules. If you find some specific spell or ability that breaks combat and makes it un-fun for everyone else, I hit you over the head with the DMG.

Elric VIII
2011-12-12, 04:12 PM
I have a homebrew rule that you might want to consider, designed to dramatically cut back on book keeping and make the game easier and more fun for new players.

All spells, powers, maneuvers, class abilities, and everything else in the game can be used at-will.

If an ability effects you (a buff) or something you control and could dismiss (ie, a Summons or Dominate similar battlefield control effect) and lasts for longer until the end of your turn, then you may only have one in effect at any given time. I call this your Focus ability. They have no duration. You simply activate them, and then they stay active until you activate another Focus ability. Activating a Focus ability is an Immediate Action if it's defensive or Skill related, or a Full Round Action if it's offensive/buff related.

If any particular offensive ability is used more then once in a given encounter, then you get a -2 to hit and damage rolls with that ability, and anyone hit gets a +2 to any Save or check. Multiple uses impose cumulative penalties.

If a non-Focus ability doesn't allow an attack roll or Saving Throw, you can't use it. If you want to play a weaker Tier 4 or lower class, you may choose to be exempt from these rules. If you find some specific spell or ability that breaks combat and makes it un-fun for everyone else, I hit you over the head with the DMG.

This is interesting. Does the "everything else in the game" line also include magic items? I could see crafters having quite an edge if not.

I especially like that last bit. I'm running a high power campaign with a "nothing is explicitly banned" rule alongside your rule at the end, there.