PDA

View Full Version : Druids v. Antimagic Fields

isotunknown
2011-12-12, 11:59 AM
What are the best ways for druids to deal with antimagic fields, rays, objects, etc.?

All WoTC products available, non-level specific solutions appreciated.

Thanks.

gkathellar
2011-12-12, 12:10 PM
Take three cleric levels.

Urpriest
2011-12-12, 12:44 PM
Your Animal Companion is still itself, albeit with no buffs. That already can be fairly powerful. The Ray isn't really that much of a worry, since you're one of the classes that can get pretty good saves (Superior Resistance has a 24 hour duration). Keeping mobile will help you stay out of the field in the first place.

isotunknown
2011-12-12, 01:25 PM
Take three cleric levels.

Could you explain to me how this would help?

candycorn
2011-12-12, 01:33 PM
I believe he's referring to the Initiate of Mystra feat.

isotunknown
2011-12-12, 05:57 PM
I believe he's referring to the Initiate of Mystra feat.

Ahh. That makes sense. Not a great option for a Druid, but still plausible.

vampire2948
2011-12-12, 06:31 PM
Seems that some of the battlefield-shaping spells the Druid is so good at might help. Make a wall of stone around the person in the antimagic field, for example. Unless they're playing a Cheater of Mystra, or have a non-magical form of flight, they could have trouble getting out.

Aswell as that, there's always Transmute Rock to Mud and vice versa.

Could try summoning creatures that have ranged attacks. Bonus points if you have the Greenbound Summoning feat, so you can keep the guy within his own antimagic field, while shooting him with your Pixies and Nixies - With the added effect that if they are a melee attacker - They can't kill your summoned creatures, since going close to them causes them to wink out. When he is forced to move away again, he will have to allow them to reappear by moving his antimagic. (Though they should be flying out of reach anyway, of course)

Doesn't really help if you're fighting a caster with a lot of SR: No spells, or a Cheater of Mystra. But meh.

gkathellar
2011-12-12, 07:52 PM
Ahh. That makes sense. Not a great option for a Druid, but still plausible.

It's a terrible option from a general optimization perspective, but it's also the only real way to beat an Antimagic Field. There's a reason it's called Cheater of Mystra.

You might be able to cheat the feat in with Dark Chaos Shuffle, I guess? Not clear on the limitations of that trick. But you're gonna need a young priest and/or an old priest (i.e. a cleric) for that anyway.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-12-12, 08:01 PM
The Dark Chaos Shuffle only gives you feats you qualify for, so that's a no-go for Initiate of Mystra.

A Cleric 3 dip isn't really all that bad as long as you do it in the later levels, after around 12 or 13. You can still get 9th level Druid spells, and you can even pick up DMM: Persistent as well for spells like Bite of the Werecreature and Stormrage. You shouldn't be seeing too much AMF until then anyway, and you can also take Servant of the Fallen just in case your DM decides that the setting's divine magic should stop working at some point.

gkathellar
2011-12-12, 08:07 PM
The Dark Chaos Shuffle only gives you feats you qualify for, so that's a no-go for Initiate of Mystra.

Good to know.

A Cleric 3 dip isn't really all that bad as long as you do it in the later levels, after around 12 or 13. You can still get 9th level Druid spells, and you can even pick up DMM: Persistent as well for spells like Bite of the Werecreature and Stormrage.

It would be much better if it didn't dent your Wildshape and Animal Companion progression. 2 or 3 domain granted powers an DMM: Persist aren't bad, mind you (especially cause you can get Persistent Owl's Insight). But losing out on caster levels, Wildshape and Animal Companion means you're losing out on all three reasons to play a druid.

ShriekingDrake
2011-12-16, 10:54 AM
I'd stay away from dipping into three cleric levels. I think, unfortunately, your best bet is to run away. I suppose a possibility is a contingent item of some kind. But AMF is just puts the hurt on many of your assets as a cleric.

Tyndmyr
2011-12-16, 10:56 AM
Extra Spell for Invoke Magic?

It ain't great at all, but it'll at least get you low level casting in/into an AMF.

Gnaeus
2011-12-16, 01:37 PM
Blast of Sand and other SR: No spells.

ShriekingDrake
2011-12-16, 02:09 PM
Blast of Sand and other SR: No spells.

??? Am I missing something about how AMF works? Otherwise, this advice doesn't make sense to me.

Urpriest
2011-12-16, 02:30 PM
??? Am I missing something about how AMF works? Otherwise, this advice doesn't make sense to me.

You can cast instantaneous conjurations into an AMF. Not sure if Blast of Sand qualifies. Still need to be outside it to cast though.

Gnaeus
2011-12-16, 02:34 PM

Instant conjuration spells (like Blast of Sand, or the wizard Orb spells) are not harmed by an AMF.

(The effects of instantaneous conjurations are not affected by an antimagic field because the conjuration itself is no longer in effect, only its result.)

Conjuration (Creation) [Earth]
Level: Druid 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4, Sand 4,
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous

In other words, you are magically creating a totally mundane, non-magical blast of super hot, high pressure mundane sand which laughs at their puny antimagic. There aren't a lot of these spells, but enough if you know what you are looking for.

Alternately, you can block the line of effect from the emanation. Burrowing, the shrunken metal cone worn as a hat, anything that gives you complete cover lets you cast.

Slipperychicken
2011-12-16, 02:54 PM
Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge) + Martial Study (Prereq Maneuver) = Destroy the AMF with a standard action 1/encounter. Get a Wizard to set you up for the Lead Hat Trick: Shrink item a 5x5 lead cone, take the option to make it clothlike material, and wear it like a hat. When the AMF comes up, the Shrink Item will be supressed, turning the "hat" into a lead cone, blocking the AMF effect so you can teleport out of the area.

There was a guide to fighting AMFs out there somewhere...

EDIT: Swordsage'd on Lead Hat Trick

ShriekingDrake
2011-12-16, 03:17 PM
You can cast instantaneous conjurations into an AMF. Not sure if Blast of Sand qualifies. Still need to be outside it to cast though.

Thanks. You learn something new every day. Clearly, as I can see now, I did not read the spell description carefully enough.

Person_Man
2011-12-16, 03:35 PM
Other then Natural Spell (which is pretty much required for Druids at 6th level) you can take a wide variety of Feats that have nothing to do with magic, and it's generally a smart strategy to do so (in order to hedge your bets against this very tactic). Things like Knock-Down, Knockback, Scorpion's Grasp, Karmic Strike, Robilar's Gambit, Aberration feats, Vile feats, Battle Jump, Combat Reflexes, Hold the Line, Stand Still, Intuitive Attack, etc., continue to work fine for a Druid in an AMF, even if they're at reduced effectiveness because he's not in Wildshape form.

Randomguy
2011-12-16, 03:41 PM
Can druids even wear the lead hat without losing their casting?

For SR: No spells there's also splinterbolt, from SpC.

Control the environment somehow, like with flashflood, tsunami or control winds.

Gnaeus
2011-12-16, 03:52 PM
Can druids even wear the lead hat without losing their casting?

So you make it a stone hat, or a cured leather hat. It isn't lead that stops AMF, it is any "solid barrier"

Lateral
2011-12-16, 11:35 PM
Instant conjuration spells (like Blast of Sand, or the wizard Orb spells) are not harmed by an AMF.

You still have to be outside the AMF to cast them, though.

Flickerdart
2011-12-16, 11:40 PM
You still have to be outside the AMF to cast them, though.
An AMF is 10ft in radius, out-ranging it is not a problem.

Lateral
2011-12-16, 11:42 PM
An AMF is 10ft in radius, out-ranging it is not a problem.

No, but I figured it should be said. The lead hat trick only works for trying to escape one, for example, and this only works for hurting someone in one.