PDA

View Full Version : HeroQuest

Cryotech
2011-12-12, 01:58 PM
Anyone here play the original HeroQuest game? Was always one of my favorites next to Risk and Axis and Allies.

Giggling Ghast
2011-12-12, 03:17 PM
I played it pretty extensively in junior high. I could never convince my friends to play Dungeons and Dragons, but they were often up for HeroQuest.

It's a fun game, but the rules were kind of broken. Eventually, it stopped being challenging. I think I played through the whole "Return of the Witch-Lord" expansion and only really threatened the party once.

Winterwind
2011-12-12, 03:34 PM
That was the most played game of mine back in elementary school times by far. I agree that the core set campaign was kinda easy, the expansions managed to actually get quite challenging at times though (the two I had and played were Kellar's Keep, which was only slightly (though noticeably) more difficult than the basic game, and Wizards of Morcar, which I actually had thought was too difficult. Though me thinking so may have had something to do with having been maybe 9 or so at the time.). But then, me and my friends quickly moved on to writing and playing adventures and campaigns of our own anyhow.

Awesome game. A bit of an introduction into actual roleplaying games, too.

DiscipleofBob
2011-12-12, 03:44 PM
I loved this game as a kid. I wish I could get my hands on a copy, but the ones on Amazon sell for several hundred bucks a pop.

Aidan305
2011-12-12, 04:16 PM
I played it a few weeks ago. It was as good as when I played it as a young 'un when it first came out.

Cryotech
2011-12-12, 07:11 PM
I agree, it was pretty basic and quite simple, and I was young'un then. I just ended up creating my own adventures that increased the difficulty.

I remember one particular game where my brother was playing all support characters and they ended up being trapped and slaughtered because he chose to separate the party thinking he'd be able to finish the game quicker because the past adventures were waaaay to easy to beat lol.

I even have the old Dragon Quest board game by TSR.

*reminiscing* Boy, those were the good'ole days of being a kid with too much time on his hands.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-13, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I still have this. I'd say this game and Final Fantasy were pretty much my entry into Dungeons & Dragons.

Great times.... :smallamused:

Aidan305
2011-12-13, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I still have this. I'd say this game and Final Fantasy were pretty much my entry into Dungeons & Dragons.

Great times.... :smallamused:

Final Fantasy or Fighting Fantasy?

Brother Oni
2011-12-13, 07:56 PM
With regard to the difficulty, Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord were fairly easy (although Kellar's Keep had a really nasty monster).

Against the Ogre Horde pushed it too far the other way (ogres are tough) and Wizards of Morcar depended highly on how good the enemy player was.

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-14, 05:21 AM
Final Fantasy or Fighting Fantasy?

Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy II on the SNES, to be specific.

GloatingSwine
2011-12-14, 12:13 PM
If you want a current dungeon crawler you could do worse than try out Dwarf King's Hold. It's not quite like HeroQuest (TBH it's more like Space Hulk), but it's a great little game and has some really nice bits in it. (Dwarven Throwing Dog!)

Velaryon
2011-12-14, 03:04 PM
Ah HeroQuest. That was a hell of a game back in the day. It was already beginning to get scarce by the time I was able to get my hands on a copy, and I was never able to track down the expansions, but I got to play it for awhile at least. Unfortunately, I didn't take very good care of my game, and a lot of the pieces are damaged or outright broken. The game box is in even worse condition.

These days I use what's left of the minis as extra D&D minis, although they don't get used much since two of my friends have pretty nice miniatures collections that we generally use first, and another friend is talented at making custom minis for individual characters. I did manage to use the HeroQuest board as a mini-dungeon crawl for my D&D game though, as one building of an abandoned castle that was infested with monsters for them to clear out. They ended up taking over the place as their own personal headquarters. :smallsmile:

One of my friends in my Friday night gaming group got extremely lucky and found an unopened HeroQuest game at a garage sale, which he immediately snapped up. We played it a couple times, and all but one player in our group had fun. Unfortunately, we didn't want to exclude him so we haven't played it since.

These days we're having some similar fun with Descent: Journeys in the Dark. I'm glad somebody else in the group bought it though, because holy crap is that game expensive.

Winterwind
2011-12-15, 10:08 AM
If we are handing out recommendations for other fantasy games that might interest fellow HeroQuest players, Talisman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_%28board_game%29) is awesome. That would have been the other one next to HeroQuest that played a considerable part in rooting me so firmly in fantasy worlds.

Also, for anyone interested in another game set in the same world as HeroQuest - though with more of a strategic focus - there's Battle Masters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Masters). A bit random for my taste, but quite fun nonetheless.

Well, and of course when it comes to strategy games set in the same world as HeroQuest (though more than 2,500 years after the events of HeroQuest), there's the big one. Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

Snowstorm
2011-12-15, 11:09 AM
Ah, yes. Battle Masters, and that gosh-darned bouncing cannonball..

Jahkaivah
2011-12-15, 08:41 PM
Dat intro theme. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nctr57zxJI)

Cryotech
2011-12-16, 03:47 PM
Ah yes, the days of engaging battle games. Warhammer was a pretty good game too. I can't remember the name, but there was also a battle board (fantasy) that allowed you to build castles, use catapults and what not. Was really fun.

I was just a kid when I played it but man was that game fun. I wish I could remember what it was and searching has proved to be fruitless.

Jahkaivah
2011-12-16, 06:26 PM
Ah yes, the days of engaging battle games. Warhammer was a pretty good game too. I can't remember the name, but there was also a battle board (fantasy) that allowed you to build castles, use catapults and what not. Was really fun.

I was just a kid when I played it but man was that game fun. I wish I could remember what it was and searching has proved to be fruitless.

....oh god you're talking about Crossbows and Catapults aren't you?

Holy crap that was a blast from the past, I had forgotten that was a thing.

....I used to play it with an old friend of mine round his house. Haven't seen him in nearly a decade....

mangosta71
2011-12-16, 06:30 PM
I wonder if I still have my copy. I remember playing the original campaign, Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, and the barbarian expansion. I still have fond memories of the first time I one-shot a chaos warrior with a crossbow.

But, yeah. Really easy. Pretty much the only time I saw a PC die was when a yeti managed to land a blow on the barbarian during one of his solo quests.

Cryotech
2011-12-17, 04:35 PM
....oh god you're talking about Crossbows and Catapults aren't you?

Holy crap that was a blast from the past, I had forgotten that was a thing.

....I used to play it with an old friend of mine round his house. Haven't seen him in nearly a decade....

yeah that's it! Awesome lol. I LOVED that game as a kid and it was nearly as great as setting up my plastic army men in the yard and shooting rubber bands and throwing dirt clods at them :D

Brother Oni
2011-12-17, 06:44 PM
Did anybody play Advanced Heroquest by the way? I never got round to buying the game (got Space Hulk instead) so spent most of my time reading the quests in White Dwarf.

SoC175
2011-12-17, 08:17 PM
I wonder if I still have my copy. I remember playing the original campaign, Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, and the barbarian expansion. I still have fond memories of the first time I one-shot a chaos warrior with a crossbow.

But, yeah. Really easy. Pretty much the only time I saw a PC die was when a yeti managed to land a blow on the barbarian during one of his solo quests.If you still have your barbarian expansion you have a real treasure. The two US-exclusives are really expensive these days, a complete barbarian quest should easily bring $400+ at ebay

littlebottom
2011-12-17, 08:48 PM
you guys will love this, my uncle (no offence to him, but he isnt the brightest bulb) was playing as a wizard, and casts the walk through stone spell, so he could pass through walls and none existant rooms (the map didnt always use all the rooms on the board) and he went into a room and through a wall, then ran out of movement in a room that didnt exist, trapped in stone for all of time :smallbiggrin: was pretty hillarious.

Cryotech
2011-12-17, 10:05 PM
@ Littlebottom, that's hilarious. The look on his face would probably have been priceless :smallbiggrin:

Cryotech
2011-12-17, 10:06 PM
Did anybody play Advanced Heroquest by the way? I never got round to buying the game (got Space Hulk instead) so spent most of my time reading the quests in White Dwarf.

I never did but I really want to just for nostalgia reasons. I did have the original, in great condition until my sister and her now ex-boyfriend stole it from me which irks me to no end lol.

littlebottom
2011-12-17, 10:56 PM
on advanced hero quest, it had its flaws, and was almost entirely random (you rolled every time a new piece was to be put on the map, to see what you got, a T shaped corridor, a room, a straight corridor, how many doors etc) and it meant some levels took hours due to sheer bad luck, and others you found the way down to the next level in 5 minutes. every few levels i believe you had a proper mapped out floor though, it was much much better than hero quest from the hero point of view of better items, and such, but for playability heroquest was proberbly better.

that said, i believe that there was warhammer quest too, which was really really good for character progression as you got proper level ups and stuff, but from what i remember the actual dungeon crawl side of it wasnt as good as advanced hero quest and hero quest, so i think my father used monsters and characters from warhammer quest in advanced hero quest rules...

i was a child at the time, i could be remembering falsely...

Snowstorm
2011-12-20, 11:13 AM
yeah that's it! Awesome lol. I LOVED that game as a kid and it was nearly as great as setting up my plastic army men in the yard and shooting rubber bands and throwing dirt clods at them :D

We'd end up finding those little orange balls *everywhere* for weeks after. In a shoe, under the couch, behind the TV...

Tried pulling it out of storage a little while ago, actually, but found all of the rubber-bands had suffered dry-rot. :(

Balain
2011-12-20, 05:37 PM
It's been years since played it. I still use some of the figures when playing D&D

Descent: journey in the dark and all it's expansions is also an excellent dungeon crawling board game.

Cryotech
2011-12-21, 12:28 AM
We'd end up finding those little orange balls *everywhere* for weeks after. In a shoe, under the couch, behind the TV...

Tried pulling it out of storage a little while ago, actually, but found all of the rubber-bands had suffered dry-rot. :(

Lol, I know that was great and that sucks about your rubber bands. We played the game once in our hallway and one of the balls bounced off the wall and plunked right into the toilet :D. That little ball was as good as gone after that.

We used to have huge battles with those Masters of the Universe figurines as well. Nothing was safe from being a soldier of war :D

Breltar
2011-12-23, 09:50 AM
I still have my set mostly intact in my closet.

I know there are places on the net where you can find the rules or the character sheet graphics if your set is missing them.

You can substitute just about any standard miniature and mount them on normal warhammer fantasy bases and they fit in the game squares.

I went from this (with Final Fantasy 2 or SNES as well!) to warhammer 40k Rogue Trader and then on to the original Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game (only needed one book!). I at one point and time had two boxes of heroquest and two expansions just for the figures as the only game store in town had a lot of battletech and 40k but hardly any fantasy minis.

Great game if you can find it and I even made up a board for my virtual gaming group through maptools.com .

Cryotech
2011-12-23, 02:55 PM
I still have my set mostly intact in my closet.

I know there are places on the net where you can find the rules or the character sheet graphics if your set is missing them.

You can substitute just about any standard miniature and mount them on normal warhammer fantasy bases and they fit in the game squares.

I went from this (with Final Fantasy 2 or SNES as well!) to warhammer 40k Rogue Trader and then on to the original Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game (only needed one book!). I at one point and time had two boxes of heroquest and two expansions just for the figures as the only game store in town had a lot of battletech and 40k but hardly any fantasy minis.

Great game if you can find it and I even made up a board for my virtual gaming group through maptools.com .

I'd love to get your board. I host MapTool games as well, though they're primarily zombie survival games, I was actually planning a HQ game because 3/4 of the group played it as a kid and I wanted to give them that nostalgic feeling. Would you mind if I snagged it from you?

Aotrs Commander
2011-12-23, 03:54 PM
HeroQuest is literally entirely responsible for my being here at all.

No, really.

I put it down as a whim on my 10th birthday list. And things went from there - within a short period of time, I was at the Rolls Royce roleplaying club (which wrapped up only earlier this year, because there was only one left who actually was an RR member, but there are three of us, now part of a combined group, who have been playing together now for twenty years), playing Rolemaster (there's a jump in difficulty for a 10-year-old!)

I still dig it out occasionally - as with all else, it's been heavily house-ruled up the wazoo, and I use it not so much as board game (because I never did; even when we first started and my Dad - who was never a roleplayer - ran it like an RPG, until I started DMing and never looked back) and more as a basic-level roleplaying game.

Just last year I, in the space of a week and merely two games, managed to corrupt my young cousins from Austraila (one of whom was about my age when I started!) Naturally, true to form, I didn't use quests from the HeroQuest quest book, but written by me, and flavoured not for Warhammer World, but my own current campaign world. When corrupting one's victims, one should put one's very best foot foward...! They loved it so much my Uncle bought a copy off ebay to take back to Austraila with him.

He actually really lucked out on that one, actually. He had me look it over before he took it back, and not only was it the same, first edition I had myself twenty years prior (the figures of which went into my general RPG pile and I still have, albiet quite worn and heavily used by now!), it was absolutely pristine. Everything was fresh, neatly bagged in little plastic bags and everything. Really the only indication it has been used at all was that some of the figures had been painted a bit or under coated or something. I reckon it must have been bought for someone, used once or twice, they had a try and painting the figures and just filed it neatly away for years. It was stupendously lucky of them to get that, a real treasure.